May 2020 Moms

December Symptoms

Re: December Symptoms

• @jhysmath Fingers crossed, today I haven't had any bleeding or spotting. I feel a little better after seeing my therapist on Thursday. I think I was just able to properly get everything out that I was feeling and afraid of. Hopefully no more scares at this point. 

I'm so glad that your baby is doing good. I'm sorry you've had so much waiting and waiting though, I feel like the not knowing is a difficult thing. 
  • I am waiting on a PT evaluation for my back, it hurts to be in any position. That being said has any one tried a chiropractor for sciatica?
  • Loading the player...
  • I have so many opinions about how to breastfeed successfully but I just deleted them because it’s such a hot topic. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @mamaj1220 not specifically for sciatica, but I’ve seen a chiropractor regularly through this pregnancy and my last. Last time I did get some sciatic or hip pain and they helped me out.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• I saw a sign at my OBs office that there is a BF support group meeting once a month.  I’m wondering if it’s worth attending before the baby is born to learn from the other women’s experiences, both good and bad.
  • Tangentially related to breastfeeding - my major symptom lately has been that my boobs are really leaky. I was reading a little about pumping colostrum before birth, to freeze and/or donate. Has anyone done this?
  • @pirateduck, I think that the support group is more once you have started and are having specific issues/want advice/need peer support. I would ask whether there is a lactation/BF intro class of some sort. In our OB group they encourage these 3 intro classes (birth, newborn care and lactation). It’s helpful to get a sense of how it works but probably won’t really get into it until you have a newborn latched at your breast and are trying different positions. I agree we should have a thread about BF/FF.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think ultimately women aren’t supported in their decisions either way, while also carrying around an internal “mom guilt” about pretty much everything. Breastfeeding has its benefits and so does formula. Each baby and moms situation is unique and should be approached as such. As a ttm I think I’ve pretty much reached the idgaf what people think stage lol 🙌🏻. 
  • @catem07 and @allywat best advice ever. Also always remember you’re your babies mom you know them best. DS had RSV at 7 weeks old and my mom and DF told me I was being paranoid when I took him in for his breathing, they said it’s just a cold, guess who was admitted for almost a week.
  • Also, like every pregnancy, every baby is different. What works for one, may not work for another or for your family in general. After all of the research you have done for months/years, do what works for you! 
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @sunshinesea22 But why would there be much evidence to support that breast milk is superior to formula? Nobody stands to profit from that. 

I’m in the Dr Newman camp- breastfeeding is best but what deserves to be shamed is the severe lack of GOOD support for women. So many more women could be successful if they had good support, not just directly with the technical aspects of breastfeeding but also things like general public normalization, supportive work leaves (6 weeks unpaid mat leave is despicable), etc. Formula is good to have as a backup when it’s needed but don’t forget it’s a huge industry motivated by profits. The formula companies have spent a lot to protect their interests which unfortunately has done a ton of damage over the last 50 years. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • sunshinesea22sunshinesea22 member
    edited December 2019
    @brettanomyces I agree completely that we need better supports for BF moms and all moms in general. Of course the naturally occurring food our bodies make for baby is the best option, but not everyone can breastfeed for one reason or another. According to Emily Oster’s “Cribsheet” (Highly recommend for many reasons), the proven short term benefits for baby are: fewer allergic reactions, fewer gastrointestinal disorders, lower risk of necrotizing enterocolitis (very rare disease), and possibly fewer ear infections. The long term benefits to mom are a lower risk of breast cancer. However, the claims that breast feeding has long term health benefits or cognitive benefits just are not supported with any reputable scientific evidence in current existence. She makes a point of saying that the argument for “smarty-boobs,” that breastfed kids are more intelligent is not supported to the extent that some might want you to believe. At best, she gives BF credit for less than a 2 point IQ increase. I’m not saying by any means that people shouldn’t breastfeed, but that if you CAN’T for some reason, formula feeding is not as detrimental as some people might have you believe. Again, I’m all for BF, just against formula shaming. As the saying goes, fed is best.
    Edit: autocorrect errors
  • @sunshinesea22 But that’s exactly my point. There’s not going to be extensive long term studies because there’s no one who stands to profit from funding such studies. There ARE many who stand to profit from studies concluding there is little difference between formula feeding and breastfeeding. 

Anyway i I see this as less a matter of specific details of what the benefits might be and more a matter of general overall women’s (and babies) health and well-being. The system is unfortunately stacked against us and many women could be successful breastfeeding but aren’t because we’re set up to fail. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone else having mild hotflashes or otherwise fluctuating body temps?
    Me: 30 | H: 34
    Married July 2018
    First-Time Mom
    EDD: 5/1/20  *please stick, baby*
  • @tj_2 I had tons of hot flashes in the first trimester, I'd wake up at night, fling off all the blankets (and cat), and have to turn on the fan.  I feel like I've evened out or acclimated some over time.
  • Anyone else having unilateral growing pains? 

My left knee, left hip, and left lower back are so achy. Right side is completely fine. Idk if my left side is growing at a quicker rate or if it’s residual pain from sleeping on my left. Either way, I feel completely out of balance and can’t get comfortable while standing, sitting, or laying down
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • @tj_2 I also had hot flashes in the first trimester but they seem to have calmed down.

@drkoyya I do not have unilateral growing pains! that seems super uncomfortable.

one thing I have noticed (maybe because I'm short-torsoed or there are two of them in there) is they can totally get themselves wedged into a weird spot under my right ribs when I'm sitting down or driving. I don't know how to describe it, but I have to wiggle around until whoever's under there moves.
  • @tj_2 I had tons of hot flashes in the first trimester, I'd wake up at night, fling off all the blankets (and cat), and have to turn on the fan.  I feel like I've evened out or acclimated some over time.
  • You guys.... My immune system is garbage against skin viruses this time.  I had a cold sore last week into this week on my lip (not unheard of for me... I generally get one every 1-2 years or so), and now that it's finally clearing up, I think I'm getting another one on my cheek.  That's never happened to me before.  I also had shingles early on in my pregnancy.  I just want to hide in a cave or something.  I feel disgusting.  :'(  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Oh @shamrocandroll my friend had shingles that came back in every pregnancy and it sounds awful!  Can you do something for yourself that will give you a boost?  Take yourself out to lunch, get a haircut, find a cute new maternity top, something?
  • @shamrocandroll Add me to the crap skin. All over acne, random rashes, more spider veins than usual. I’m generally hiding in MH’s sweatshirts and joggers these days. 
  • @shamrocandroll Ugh, I'm sorry friend. My immune system is shot too. I don't have bad skin issues, I just keep getting sick and staying sick. It took over a month for my last sore throat to go away. I had to be tested for mono, just to be safe. I'm so over it.  
  • @shamrocandroll Ugh I"m so sorry, I get cold sores too and they are awful. I have a prescription for Valtrex for them and I take it as soon as I feel one coming on - most of the time they don't show up or the course is significantly shorter if they do. I hate taking meds during pregnancy but Valtrex is Category B and the clinical studies they do have with humans show no harmful effects in pregnant women. No pressure just an option if you want to talk to your OB about it!
  • @shamrocandroll Oh no!!! You are still just as beautiful as ever, just have a small parasite. But he will be the cutest little parasite in 6 months! Talk to that baby and tell him to be nice to his momma, that’s what I do 😂
  • @rachelg777 So, I do have a prescription for Valtrex, and in fact, I just took it last week for the cold sore I had on my lip (the normal place for me to get them).  Since this was on my cheek, I thought it was just a zit forming at first, but then started to realize it felt and looked more like a cold sore this morning.  So it's pretty much too late to take Valtrex and have it do much of anything.  :(
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll Bummer! I've had a few up higher like a few cm's away from my lip. I hope it doesn't end up being a bad one. 
  • @shamrocandroll for cold sores I've had success with Abreva.  It used to be prescription, but now you can get it OTC in the pharmacy aisle.  It's kinda expensive, but you only need a tiny bit and it lasts awhile (through more than one outbreak).  
  • @pirateduck I've used Abreva in the past and it's alright, but I don't think it shortens the duration much for me.  This time I'm trying a new one called Releev and so far I really like it!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• I knew lightning crotch is a thing, but today I experienced lightning nipples. So sudden and shocking that I stopped talking to DH mid-sentence. Guess the girls are getting ready for baby.
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • My belly button hurts. More than what I remember with DS1 and DS2. It’s been bothering me for the last two days. 
  • @shamrocandroll I have had 4 cold sores in the last month! FYI in my first pregnancy I was allowed to go on a lower daily dose of valtrex for the last month of my pregnancy and for the first week post partum because the stress of child birth can cause a major out break and you have enough to worry about with a new baby. Ask your doc! 
  • @jkr2019 That's definitely the plan if I have another outbreak! And I got a cold sore when DS1 was about a week old, so I definitely believe that and will go on a preventative dose before my due date. 
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Heart burn is just starting for me. With dd in pretty sure I had it from the moment she implanted. For those of you still eating the chalk tums, chewy fruit tums are delicious. I had berry ones with dd and they were meh but green apple I popped tonight is tasty. 
  • @jhysmath I kinda like the berry chalk tums 😂 but it has to be name brand tums. Generic taste terrible. I tried the chewy tums with gas x combo in the strawberry And lemon flavor, they’re okay but not my favorite. Also, I take generic Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg tabs in AM and PM due to chronic gastritis. It’s a pregnancy class B if you are not anti-medication.