May 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Bath time

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Bath Time!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For STMS:
What tubs do you like?
Ane extras that are useful - towels, washcloths, toys, etc?
What bath soap do you use?

For FTMs:
What are you looking at?
Any questions for others?

To view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XX4aUSPsDbdyEEK5HIzMzwH2ztOVOnNCehSgMAc5w6U/edit?usp=sharing
Next up: Diaper Bags (I am skipping Maternity clothes since we already have a thread all about that)
TTC#1 July 2015 
  • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
  • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
TTC#2 April 2019 
  • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

Re: Product Spotlight: Bath time

• Options
    When DD was a baby we had one of those blossom things that tuck into the sink. They look cute, but I didn't like using it because it didn't support her at all before she could sit up on her own. I think we used it like twice and after that I just started sitting in the bathtub holding her on my knees while we washed her. This time I want to get something a little more standard, but haven't done any research yet.
  • Options
    I had this tub that I bought second hand. The hammock was so stretched out that it really didn't work well. DH really hated it. We ended up getting rid of it pretty quickly and did wash cloth baths. Once DD started sitting up we just used our full bath tub.
    https://www.fisher-price.com/en-us/product/4-in-1-sling-n-seat-tub-bdy86

I've heard great things about the Angelcare bath thing and am thinking about trying that out this time.

It was tough to find a bath mat large enough to cover the whole tub as DD moved around A LOT. Finally found this Boon one and I love it. We make sure to hang it up after every use and clean it fairly often. If we forget to hang it up, it gets pretty gross on the bottom, but is still easy to clean.
    https://www.amazon.com/Boon-B11192-Bathtub-Mat/dp/B019JZNVT8/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=skip+hop+bath&qid=1574871492&sr=8-14

I highly recommend a knee pad and elbow pad. We love having a spout cover too. When I lived with a friend in college her 1 year old hit his eye lid on the spout and we had to go to the ER.
    I plan on buying these to replace what I currently have for this baby.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L4LJ6VN?colid=1O8A9298KKK5C&coliid=I2TUICHWYAIUA&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_title_link

Skip the squeeze toys with holes, they end up molding inside. Unless you are good with just throwing them out pretty quickly. I would skip the suction cup toy holders too. They never stay sticking and sometimes the toys are too heavy. DD loves the foam letters, stacking cups with holes, some simple boats, and rubber finger puppets.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRK92KC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been trying to find cleaner personal care products and recently switched to Dr. Bronners baby soap and Alaffia kids Shampoo & Body wash. Dr. Bronners doesn't work great on her hair.

As for towels, some of those 3 packs from Target I did not like. They were really soft, which I thought would be great, but really didn't dry DD very well.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    For STMS:
    What tubs do you like? 
    For DS1 we used a standard infant plastic tub. I hated it. I either had to put him in the bath to avoid a mess or put him on the floor and usually end up soaked. 
    For DS2 we had the angel care seat. It was fine but a pain because I had to fill the whole
    tub which felt like a waste
    For this baby I’m going to use the summer infant clean rinse. I’ll set it on the counter and just wash her next to the sink since it can drain into the sink. It also folds down flat. Storage was another PITA with the other two options. 

Any extras that are useful - towels, washcloths, toys, etc?
    Use regular towels. Baby wash cloths are useful because they’re super soft and small. I covered the kids with one to keep them warm and used another to wash hair and body (wet cloth and rub hair versus trying to dump water on their head). 

Mustela cradle cap shampoo is my favorite hands down for shampoo. Soap I’ve used a variety of brands and have no complaints about any of them. The Johnson’s honey Apple is my favorite scent.
  • Options
    For STMS:
    What tubs do you like?
    I just used a super basic one like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Sure-Comfort-Newborn-to-Toddler-Baby-Bath-Tub-Infant-Bath-Tub-White/911326907

The infant sling was nice for when she was tiny before she could be all the way in the water (before umbilical cord fell off).  After that she could use leaned back on one side and as she got older used the sitting position on the other side.  It fit securely on our kitchen sink and we honestly used it way longer than I thought we would (over a year) because the sink was so much easier for us than bending over a tub.

I liked the hooded towels for babies, soft washcloths and a few toys though DD's favorite thing to play with was usually the running faucet or a cup.  Like others have said be careful with squeeze toys with holes in them.  We did have a few but would just buy cheap ones and throw them out often.

We just used Johnson & Johnson mostly because I liked the smell and DD never had any issues.  I know some people say it's horrible but it seemed fine for us.  I liked using the lavender one at night time and also liked the vapor bath in the green bottle when she was stuffy.  Once she had enough hair we switched to suave shampoo/conditioner.
  • Options
    A lot of previous posts have great suggestions. I agree with @m6agua on the padding for yourself and the toys to avoid. 

For tubs themselves, we had (and still have) one of those dumb whale tubs with the mesh insert. It’s terrible. When the baby is young enough for the mesh, it’s at an awful angle and would just cause DD to squish into a ball. I basically only used it to fill up with water to not have to fill the whole bath and then I’d give her washcloth wipe downs while just dipping her in the water. Basically, a Tupperware container works just as well as my infant tub. 

We also used swaddle blankets to lay on her to keep her warm during the wooo down since washcloths only cover so much. 
  • Options
    For STMS:
    What tubs do you like?
    I got the 4Moms tub as a shower gift, and I loved it for when he was itty bitty.  It fit great on the edges of our kitchen sink, so I didn't have to bend over and kill my back while washing him.  I liked that it had a water temp indicator, too.  But apparently it was discontinued.

When he got bigger, I liked this one, which I just put in the tub.  It was great for the transition to sitting back to being able to sit up on his own.  It has two sides so you can use it for both.

https://smile.amazon.com/Primo-340W-PRIMO-EuroBath-Pearl/dp/B000056OV0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=large+baby+tub&qid=1574878447&sr=8-1

Hooded towels.  I still use them for DS, who is 3.  He likes to run around the house naked with them on his head like he's a super hero.  :lol:  I also recommend a non-slip bath mat for when they get big enough to sit in the full tub, and a faucet cover.  I have the Skip Hop whale one, which is cute.  I also recommend a toy basket that goes across the width of the tub.  The suction ones don't work too well.  I also try to avoid toys with holes.  I like the foam ones you can stick to the bathtub wall, and the Munchkin float and play bubbles.  You'll get a gazillion washcloths, so I wouldn't worry about those.

Mostly Aveeno because he has pretty sensitive skin.  When he wants a bubble bath, I use either the apricot one from Honest, or my favorite one from Avon.  The Avon doesn't seem to dry out his skin and it smells like apples.  When he's sick, I like the Babyganics vapor bath. We have to be careful with skin products because of his sensitive skin, but we've had luck with all of those.
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    For DS we had a tub that I wasn't too fond of once he got a little bigger, it was one of the simple ones from Target but once he was able to sit up (kind of sit up for a minute or so) it tipped a lot. So one of my OT friends told me to use a laundry basket and that became a lifesaver. This time I have a double sink so I am looking at either the blossom thing or one that goes over the hump in the middle and I am so excited to not have such a sore back. 

Extras that are useful: I totally agree with @shamrocandroll about the hooded towels! DS is almost six and still uses the one my cousin made him with a regular sized towel and hand towel (she is super crafty and I wish I got that gene haha). I did like using baby washcloths only because I felt that they were softer than ours but I don't think you have to have them. I also think a faucet cover saves a lot of bumps! 

Soap: DS has really sensitive skin so I tended to stick with Johnson and Johnson, I tried Aveeno but it gave him weird bumps and I wasn't crazy about the smell. I might try Dove this time around because DS and I both do better with Dove body wash so might as well start with it. 
  • Options
    I loved the 4 moms tub that had the thermometer in the top. I only used Burt’s Bees baby wash because that’s all her skin would tolerate (I had to get special diapers and wipes too because literally everything gave her a rash). We had some hooded towels but those weren’t necessarily needed. Then once she could sit up we had the little inflatable duck, and now it’s just whatever. She’s a big shower kind of girl now
  • Options
    I got the boon collapsing bathtub and I LOVE it! It can recline, and it folds flat and has a hook on it so it hangs on the shower curtain rod when not being used. 

https://www.amazon.com/Boon-Naked-Collapsible-Bathtub-White/dp/B005VLXIS4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone bathe in the kitchen sink?  It seems it would be easier on your back?  I have a split sink though, so not a huge basin, not sure if I can make this work.
  • Options
    We have the tub with the sling, by First Years. We used it the three ways recommended—sling for newborn, then reclined, then sitting up. It was good and only $20. Get hooded towels and wash cloths. Other than that I don’t have a lot of bath advice...
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    Anyone bathe in the kitchen sink?  It seems it would be easier on your back?  I have a split sink though, so not a huge basin, not sure if I can make this work.
    We have a split sink and did it until she wouldn’t fit in the infant tub anymore. The 4 moms run fits right over the divider, and I’m sure many others do too. 
  • Options
    @pirateduck @Linsbins We have a triple basin sink, and were still able to bathe him in the 4moms tub.  It was way easier on the back for us!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    @catem07 That's brilliant!  I wish I knew about that one before I bought our son's potty!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    @pirateduck The one I listed sits on the counter and drains into the sink. You can’t really submerge them the first few weeks, so I figured that works out. I’ve heard mixed reviews about the bloom, so people don’t find it supportive enough. At my moms house we just padded the sink with a towel and laid them on top and bathed. That works too. 
  • Options
    @pirateduck That's super cool! I love that it stacks and nests , and then turns into a stool! Summer Infant makes some great stuff! 
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    I like that it can stand alone, be used in a sink, or tub.  
  • Options
    @pirateduck And can later be used as a step stool, it looks like!  What a brilliant idea!  I'd get one if we didn't already have a tub and step stools, haha.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Options
    @pirateduck I literally have nowhere to store that thing, but I’ve added it to my list because ohhhh multifunctional and no broken back and yay no laundry basket in the tub when we reach the sit up stage. 😂
  • Options
    @pirateduck, I have that same tub but from late 2016. We will likely use it again. It’s fine.
    just FYI- all in its very big! I live in a small townhome and once we were done with it, it has been used as a container to store baby things in the garage. The stool part is huge. We ended up buying smaller and collapsible stools now for DD1 (2-3 yrs), also I never used the stool to sit on, not comfortable enough for that. I would recommend seeing it in person. There may be some smaller more convenient versions now a days. Having said that, it suits the purpose.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I second what others said about a collapsing bathtub if you get one, they save so much space. You don't realize how bulky those tubs are until you try and put one away. The boon one I have has a hook so we hang it behind the bathroom door. 

I also found out that it was a lot easier to just bring baby into the shower with me. If MH was home when I needed to shower and baby needed to get that summer breastmilk funk out of her neck rolls, it was so much easier to bring her in with me then to try and finagle her necks in a tub in the shower I could easily get all of them and the cheesiness out. This worked really well until about 7 months at that point I put her sitting in the tub after I washed her and she enjoyed playing while I finished showering. Once she started walking she got her own baths because I don't need someone poking my butt or vulva while I'm trying to rinse soap out of my hair. I'll still stick her in with me or MH for a quick rinse now, but most of the time she enjoys playing in the tub so she gets her own time in there. 

Hooded towels are great to keep them all warm, and stacking cups are great for washing off the soap and shampoo.