Options

Weekly Questions 12/1

Any questions this week?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Weekly Questions 12/1

• Options
    How is it already December?!
  • Options
    @babybison right?! How are we 4-5 months away from having babies already?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How far out are your Ob's office letting you schedule appointments? Receptionist is only letting me schedule one appointment in advance at a time. Hope I can schedule more than one at a time when I get to every other week and weekly appointments. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 I’m only scheduling one at a time right now too, but I remember scheduling 3 or 4 at the same time toward the end last time when they we more frequently. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 I’m scheduled through February. I imagine they’ll schedule the rest in the new year.
  • Options
    mandarenee898mandarenee898 member
    edited December 2019
    @Kathryn0903 I’m scheduled until April but I did it with my OB’s nurse at my last apt. I had to ask to do it but it helps with scheduling the biophysical profiles and non stress tests that my dr wants me to do on certain weeks. 
  • Options
    @mandarenee898 I remember being scheduled out a bit in advance last time, but that could be because I had to get the biophysical profiles twice a week for the last 5-6 weeks of my last pregnancy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Currently we schedule one appointment at a time, but I think that's because they're still 4 weeks apart. Once I hit 28 weeks they'll be every 2 weeks then every week after 36 weeks so I wouldn't be surprised if we book those further ahead
  • Options
    I don't think they let me schedule a big chunk until around 32 or 34.  I think they let me schedule ahead a couple of the two week ones and all the weekly.
  • Options
    I am scheduled through February, but my OB is hard to get in with so they force you to schedule far out.
  • Options
    sbalding88sbalding88 member
    edited December 2019
    @Kathryn0903 My OB has me scheduled out through the rest of my second trimester, with my last appointment being a few days past 28 weeks. She would have kept going, but I wanted to wait on scheduling further out than that until my husband and I get a few things nailed down. My OB office is very busy so they like scheduling them ahead of time. I think they'll want me to get them scheduled through April at next appointment just so they're all set. :)
  • Options

FTMs - did you pick a pediatrician yet? When do you plan on meeting them?

Also, am I the only one that hasn't started baby's nursery yet? Or finished their registry? Clearly I'm starting to feel some "halfway there" anxiety!

• Options
    @kathryn0903 i'm still going for monthly check-ins with the midwife and the office only schedules me one appointment at a time for now, too. :)
  • Options
    Are we supposed to meet pediatricians in person like interview style?? What are we asking? What are we looking for?
  • Options
    @literatureandink i plan to! i think it's pretty common. at the peds office i used to work for, we scheduled prenatal meet & greets all the time. i want to make sure provider we choose is going to jive with us personality and health-belief wise. get some info about infant visits/appointment schedules because i have no clue. also looking for a clean office with a friendly atmosphere. and i take note of how many people are in the waiting room at one time lol
  • Options
    @phinzlabyrinth Have not started on nursery. 

FWIW, I didn’t meet our pediatrician before. I got recommendations from several families I trust and every one of them used this specific doctor, so we felt comfortable selecting her without meeting her. We love her. Our only concern is that she’s going to retire before our kids grow up. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Options
    @phinzlabyrinth I never met with a pediatrician beforehand. I got on our insurance website and saw the list of pediatricians that were in network. I just picked one to call to see if they were accepting new patients. They may tell you some more info over the phone as well. A couple things I liked were all 4 doctors were women, they had some late hours as well as Saturday hours, and the separate waiting areas for sick/well patients.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, my pediatrician also has the separate waiting areas and the Saturday hours. Both are super important to me and a really good thing to look for. She is also affiliated with the local children’s hospital, so I know I can get those records to her easily. I also verified that someone from her practice will come to see the baby in the hospital after birth. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Options
    @phinzlabyrinth We haven’t started the nursery. Waiting until after the holidays! 
  • Options
    @phinzlabyrinth we haven’t started the nursery. We also just started the registry just to get the car seats on there to buy over Black Friday so we have the extended return time at Target. 
  • Options
    @phinzlabyrinth definitely haven’t started the nursery. We are going to keep baby in our room for the first 4-6 months, so I am not even going to bother with a nursery in our current house. We plan to buy a bigger house in the Spring. I am going to clean out our room and setup the bassinet over Christmas break.

Where we are in Canada you only see a paediatrician if you are referred for a specific issue, standard of care is to be treated by your family doctor for regular check-ins.
  • Options
    @phinzlabyrinth We bought some nursery furniture because it was on sale during Black Friday, but don’t plan on getting things put together until after the holidays, Since we need the room as a guest room! As for the pediatrician, I have been talking with other parents to get their advice. I haven’t heard great things about either one in our hospital, so I’m kind of concerned.

@Kathryn0903 My midwife office doesn’t have their schedules open more than a month in advance, so I have only been able to do one appointment at a time. Hopefully I can schedule ahead when they become biweekly! 
  • Options
    @babyrummom I just moved to my area a couple years ago, and don't have any other children, so I'm relying on word of mouth for pediatricians, too. It's tough because there are only so many around, plus I'm a nurse and end up being super picky about providers.
  • Options
    @phinzlabyrinth I’m a physical therapist at a small hospital, so I hear stuff about the doctors here and it’s not always good... 
  • Options
    @babyrummomit's pretty small town here in WNC, too. and i know most people go for the old docs who've been at their gigs forever... but i prefer the opposite! someone young who's up to date on current guidelines.