July 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Pregnancy Pillows

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. This week we're talking.... Pillows/Sleep Wear! 

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM+ are encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format--or none of them. Pictures/screen grabs are welcome! (But consider using spoiler... since now I know how to use it too haha) 

For all...
  • Are you a back/side/stomach sleeper? Have you adjusted the way you are laying yet/do you have concerns on having to make adjustments moving forward?
  • What concerns do you have about getting enough sleep now/moving forward?

For STM/STM+...

• Did you have to modify your sleep position? If so, how?
  • What type of pregnancy pillow would you recommend/worked for you? 
  • What brand pregnancy pillows would you recommend/worked for you?

Re: Product Spotlight: Pregnancy Pillows

• Do yourself a favor and buy the Snoogle body pillow now! I didn't with my first because it's a stupid amount of money, but I did get my sister's from her when I was around 7 months pregnant. LIFE CHANGING. I am now wondering how early is too early to bust it out...

• I'm a side sleeper and don't appreciate a super thick pillow so, here are my thoughts... 

I'm actually anti-Snoogle and it seems that people fall into 2 categories... Snoogle fanatic (my bestie is one) and snoogle hater (me!) I got one with DD's pregnancy and my biggest complaints were:
    1- the pillow was SUPER stuffed so I was basically sleeping with my head totally propped up so my neck always hurt in the morning
    2- The fabric at the top of the S curve was taut and I always felt like it was cutting into my neck if I tried to snuggle up into the top of the S curve (like, it left a mark on my neck).... if that makes any sense at all.... DH agreed when I had him check to see if I was crazy lol

TBH, what worked best for me was a regular cheapy pillow between my legs.... I had to keep adding more pillow as my pregnancy progressed, to keep my back from hurting in the AM. But I felt like that was much easier to move around with (b/c, good luck rolling over once you're in the Snoogle... it's a while production) for me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @blaf322 just when I thought we could be friends, you have to go and be anti-Snoogle... :lol: I don't feel like mine is super stuffed - maybe because my sister had used it already. I guess we're just prime examples of literally everyone telling FTMs different advice haha
  • I usually sleep on my side (typically like a thicker pillow), sometimes on my back. I’m always stressed about sleep- other than naps, I’m a really crappy sleeper. 

This may be a dumb question but why do you need a pregnancy pillow? Support?
  • @stlbuckeye132 :D:D:D When I was pregnant with DD all I heard was rave reviews of the snoogle and then I got it and mentioned that I hated it and had so many agreeing with me! I couldn't believe it! Before then, I thought I was the only weirdo who hated it so much. That said, I do wonder if a broken in Snoogle is better. I wondered it with mine, and would have worked on it, if not for that tight fabric issue.... which I also wondered if that was just a manufacturing issue or something. It just seems so wonderful and I hate it so much hahaha

Re: different advice for FTMs- for real... honestly, half the time you just have to try stuff on your own, I think. Except for the Nose Frida. I don't think there's one mom who doesn't agree that that thing is necessary lol
  • I am 100% team snoogle!!. Mine was also a hand me down, don't know if that would make a difference. But I gotta say when I was pregnant I brought that thing with me on overnight trips! lol.

@stlbuckeye132 I have also debated busting my snoogle out already. 
  • One of my friends gave me her snoogle and I loved it.  It was a little flattened out already and I think that is why I liked it so much.  Whenever I saw new ones that were really puffy, I was kind of glad mine was second hand.  

I am usually a stomach or back sleeper, neither of which are great when you are huge and pregnant.  I got my snoogle wrapped around me in such a way that it kept me on one side of the other and stopped me from trying to roll.  I felt like it was comfy! 
  • @blaf322 oh no.... UO: I prefer the bulb to the nose frida. 

Me, running and hiding from all the backlash I'm going to get from that statement:

• I had a snoogle with one...can’t remember which and didn’t like it either 😬 I agree, maybe if it was broken in a bit. I’m normally a back sleeper so having to sleep on my side stinks but I did find just a regular body pillow worked well for me. 

• @b_1029 I'm normally a back or side sleeper too. At some point in pregnancy, they recommend not lying on your back because your uterus is heavy and can slow down your blood supply (or something... not a doctor). I liked the snoogle because while I could lie on my side, I could also sort of pretend I was back sleeping if I kind of leaned against it. So I wasn't on my back but I wasn't on my side either, more like at an angle. Idk if that makes sense, but it worked for me! I don't think you really NEED to have a pregnancy pillow, but it definitely helped me sleep and my back felt better when I used it.
  • @stlbuckeye132 I think we've all, now, established that you're crazy! :D The bulb is straight up garbage!

@b_1029 It sounds like you'll probably like the snoogle, based on how you sleep and the type of pillow you like. You'll likely end up wanting some sort of something to keep between your knees (and, with the snoogle, support your belly) because you'll find that the extra weight at the front of your body just pulls on things and makes it so you wake up with aches and pains you didn't used to have. Mine was terrible back pain unless I slept with a pillow(s) between my legs. By the end of pregnancy, it was getting ridiculous... like, 5 pillows between my legs was all that made it so my back didn't hurt in the AM. Rolling over was an event every time at that point lol
  • @hbird0723 I'm considering a body pillow this time too. Maybe it'll keep my pillow count at bay for a while longer if I have some belly support too.
  • I couldn't get into a body pillow last time around but I didn't have much trouble sleeping. 

Also 100% team nosa frida
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• This thread is cracking me up!
    I am also an unabashed Snoogle fanatic! I nicknamed mine; I carried from floor to floor; it even flew to Spain! I’m a back sleeper and the ‘you should sleep on your left side after x weeks’ situation was tough. Snoogs made it much easier.
    I got the jersey cotton cover which was SO soft! And @blaf322, I don’t think I put my head on it bc I also felt it was too elevated (will need to get that puppy down and test drive it again to find the best position). 
  • @pretzellover dying laughing thinking of you carrying it around and calling it by name like it's another member of the family :D That's the best.
  • @b_1029 This is why I needed a preggo pillow! This pic was just under 7 months. And my gut got a lot bigger from here!
  • @pretzellover you're so tiny! No wonder you needed a pillow. You were alll belly!
  • @pretzellover ahhh that picture just made me so excited to have a bump and for HDBD on here eventually! 
  • shit... I just looked and this is supposed to be a Friday thread. Whoops! I have broken the board organization rules. Sorry y'all!
  • @blaf322 HOW DARE YOU?!! Haha but in reality I’ve never looked back at that organization thread- I just copied it from previous BMBs 
  • 100% Team Snoogle - I told my husband I need to get it back out and he’s like “Already?!” Truth be told I would have just kept it in our bed since my last pregnancy I love it so much.  

Also, I lost my first one between my first and second pregnancies (we moved twice) and when I bought my second one, I bought the “Petite” sized one (I am 5’1”) - so if you are short like me, you may want to look into that (They sell it on amazon) It was even more comfortable for me since it fit better!
  • I've had 4 kids without a pregnancy pillow, but this is definitely going on my list of wants. I always sleep on my side with 2-3 pillows and have always wanted a pillow between the knees during pregnancy. 
  • oooo... I think I might get this! I went to search for the petite Snoogle (that @smpic2287 mentioned) to see if maybe I just had the gigantic one and I'm too small for it and saw this! I feel like this is perfect for me since I'm so picky about the pillow I put my head on. But then again, I mean, what's the difference between this an a regular pillow? I'm torn. Thought from others?

https://www.amazon.com/Boppy-Pregnancy-Support-Trellis-removable/dp/B01N8TOPG2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=snoogle+petite&qid=1574710591&sr=8-1

• but also, can we talk about the fact that they tried to make it look like the pillow I linked above would also be good to sit up and rest on? In what world would an unevenly stuffed pillow that provides no lower back support (bc of the curve that leaves a hole) be good to use for sitting up in bed or on the couch? I'll tell you, nowhere.
    It's like the Snoogle packaging that tries to act like it makes a good PP pillow where you can use it as a donut pillow and something to casually lean against while you watch TV lol
  • smpic2287smpic2287 member
    edited November 2019
    @blaf322 so I just looked at the mini snoogle and apparently I don’t use it correctly (or at least not how they show it in the pictures) I sort of just have it down my side and in between my legs & still use my regular pillow as my pillow - does that make sense ? I think its probably easier to do it that way with the smaller one. I’m picky about my sleeping pillow too and definitely need to use a real pillow for my head.
  • I have the big ol mammajamma leachco back n belly https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/leachco-reg-back-n-39-belly-chic-contoured-body-pillow-in-taupe-rings/1017322095?skuId=17322095&&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_baby_online&product_id=17322095&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o1&creative=224301862041&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=3140839782&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=0&gclid=CjwKCAiAlO7uBRANEiwA_vXQ--Euba1s-yyhWKsEehZEcOTet-yl_13GTNAzz3yebj63Gd56_zIqJBoCLvEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    although I LOVE the support, it takes up the whole bed. DH hates it, but knows better than to say something. But really, I can’t even hold his hand at night and that bothers me, I’m a snuggler. I have a bad hip prior to pregnancy, so I really need support if I want to walk in the morning. I was a die hard belly sleeper, but haven’t been able to do that since I started nursing. Currently I do a large pillow in between my knees and up to my chest to hug. It gives me the feeling of being on my belly without the pressure on my boobs. I’m thinking about trying the snoogle this time around, we’ll see. 
  • The snoogle was my bff last time I was pregnant!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Seems like most everyone is pro pillow—anyone have experience with the wedge? I’m willing to try the pillow but thinking I should start small
  • Okay the key to the snoogle is getting the soft jersey cover for it, I hated the one that came with it and felt like it was too stiff and cut into my neck. Also, with my second pregnancy my H bought me a different pregnancy pillow because the snoogle takes up our entire bed. I have no clue where he got it and honestly think it was some cheap eBay knock off of the snoogle but I love it so much more than the authentic snoogle. But alas, my 3 year old sleeps with it now. 
  • Love my snoogle! I contemplated using it after I gave birth both times but it took up too much room so DH took it out of the bed haha. Sometimes though just a regular pillow between your knees or under you bump works just as well!