July 2020 Moms

AMA Mom's Check In

I hope I'm doing this right. I saw this as a post topic idea and browsed a few other month groups to see how they did this. I figured since AMA Mom's tend to have to go through some extra testing and things it might be nice to talk about them especially for those of us like me who are first time AMA Mom's but not necessarily first time mom's too.

Anyways I'm Jasmine and clearly since I started this thread I'm advanced maternally as they call it. I'm 38 and this is my surprise 4th. My youngest is 4 and will be almost 5 by the time this one arrives so it's been a while for me and now add on all the AMA stuff and I'm overwhelmed slightly. I just had my first sonogram and everything looks on track they said. My next appointment is the 23rd and I'll be 10 weeks 2 days by then but I'm going to try to go in the week before just to get a blood draw for the Panorama testing in hopes that maybe it will be ready at my next appointment the week after. I'm very anxious to know the sex this time which is weird to me as I was team green for my last and first baby but since we need to do a bedroom shuffle eventually with this one I feel I need to know sooner than later to mentally prepare. The doctors sent my info over to the high risk doctor they said as well so I'm going to have to see them for the first time soon and I'm totally not sure what to expect. Any idea from anyone else who has done this before maybe? 

I'm not sure what else to write so I'll stop here but looking forward to talking about all those extra appointments we all have to look forward to.

Re: AMA Mom's Check In

• 41.  I'm geriatric. >:)
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @kboydbowman Is this your first baby? Have your doctor's told you about all the extra tests and visits to the high risk doctor stuff yet? I think I recall you are in NJ too? 
  • Loading the player...
  • @enchantindragon, yes, it will be my first, and yes I know about the various tests (although I will refuse amnio and CV) - California actually covers them for free.  And I am in Cali, not NJ.
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @kboydbowman Oh dunno why I thought NJ sorry! I'm not going to do amnio either but what's CV?
  • Hiya. I’m 39 and this will be my first. 8w3 and due 7/11. TW* 

I’ve had two prior early losses so I’m a pretty nervous nelly. Can’t wait to get past the first tri. 

• I'm 42 and this will be my first.  I'm 10 weeks.  TW
    I did have a loss in July and I remain nervous.

• @rachelredhead @bluguitarhannahNice to meet you both.  Im sorry for your losses.  I hope we all can experience the joy of a new baby at the end of this

• Hi there! I just got confirmation via u/s of my pregnancy... so relieved/happy! Due date is 7/17. I also had my 40th birthday recently. This will be my third baby. I have a 15 yo son and a baby girl who turned 8 months old today. So I recently went through all the 'AMA' rigmarole. And that all ended up being fine! Had my baby in a lovely birth center the day after the due date without interventions. So feeling hopeful! If only the OB wouldn't focus on the 'high risk' things that don't seem to be that high risk based on quick research. (Having a baby at 40 and 15 months after another birth).
  • Just wanted to add that I didn't actually have to do much extra in my last pregnancy (when I was 39 yo). The benefit to being over 35 seemed to be that insurance covered more things- like I think additional ultrasounds and the NIPT, than they would have if I had been under 35.
  • @enchantindragon chorionic villi sampling (sp?)
    Current pregnancy -

• I'm 37 so I think that is barely AMA, pregnant with my first, and having my first US tomorrow! I haven't been told about any extra testing or procedures but maybe I will learn about that tomorrow.
    I'm glad I waited until I was good and ready.  When I was in my 20s I was more concerned with getting my party on!  Now I'm much more settled. 
  • I’m 36, will be 37 when I deliver. This is baby #2 after years of infertility. It took 3 years to have our daughter who is 4.5 years old. For the last 4 years we have been trying to add a sibling. We saw a RE about 2 years ago, but after 9 failed cycles (4 months of meds and times intercourse and 5 months of IUI’s) we were told IVF was likely our only chance. Not having $20,000 laying around nixed that option. We had all but given up when we got a positive test. I’m still a little I disbelief even though I have already seen the little nugget and his/her heartbeat on ultrasound.

We will be doing the optional genetic testing and at my first appointment last week I was told that I need to expect extra ultrasounds to monitor progress because I’m old. That’s completely fine with me! Every time I get to see our tiny miracle helps to ease my mind! 
  • Hi Ladies! I’m 40 and will be at the time of birth. I had my first son at 38. (Both via IVF). Last pregnancy I saw a standard OB and only had extra intervention by a hematologist due to a hereditary platelet disorder (I am ineligible for epidurals & spinals bc of the high bleeding risk).. and a MFM (high risk OB) didn’t get involved until week 37 when baby flipped to be breach and my OB panicked about doing a c-section on me.

This go around I’ve changed practices and will be at a 100% high-risk practice. I’m  excited bc they’re experts in more complex cases. 
    What I’m most nervous about is caring for my large & physical 17m toddler while we both get bigger the next 7m! I have no family nearby; no babysitters; live in NYC so am reliant on public transportation; and all my doctors are 1+ hour each way. I’m also not in the physical shape I was last preggo & don’t know if I’ll be able to stay fit / how this will impact things. 
    Otherwise... haha, super excited and hopeful to complete our family next year.
    And excited to have you all to navigate through it!
  • I will be 35 next month so I am now considered AMA. This is my 4th pregnancy but will be baby number 2. I have a 4 year old (2 losses before him). I am on progesterone until 12 weeks but I also was with my son. My husband and I don't think we will do extra genetic screening. My dr did say due to ama she will do an extra us at 36 weeks to do a recheck on growth but otherwise all other appointments will be the standard for anyone.
    TW loss mentioned 

**BFP#1 9/5/12   EDD 5/15/13  changed to 5/25/13 after u/s,  missed mc 10/19/12.  D and C 10/22/12** 
     **BFP#2 9/12/13  EDD 5/16/14 changed to 5/27/14 after u/s, hb 126 on 10/11/13, miscarriage on 10/24.13**
    ~RPL testing results from 12/6/13 show everything normal except elevated prolactin. Blood work is now in the normal range. All AL welcome!
    BFP #3 10/24/14  Our rainbow baby was born July 2015
    BFP 4 10/28/19 EDD 7/6/20
  • laurad75laurad75 member
    edited December 2019
    Hi everyone.  I just found this thread buried in all the others.  I think it would be nice to keep this thread active and compare any extra testing or care we are receiving as AMA moms.  

I'm sure I win most AMA award at 44 yo and I'll be 45 when baby comes in July.  Both this baby and my 15-month-old were conceived via donor egg IVF.  My first pregnancy was pretty normal but I did have the MaterniT21 test for genetic testing and I had extra ultrasounds toward the end.  I did have an amnio at 19 weeks but that was not due to my age - they found an abnormality at the anatomy scan and wanted to make sure it wasn't something more serious. 

I'm a really young 44 year old and the egg used to conceive this baby is from someone in their 20's so hopefully this will be a delightfully boring pregnancy.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @laurad75 Ours is a donor embryo. The female donor was 23. 
  • AMA pregnancy number five at 42 over here. I have two kids. I just had my ultrasound today and I’m amazed it’s a healthy pregnancy so far.  Shocked and happy.
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16
  • Hi ladies.  I'll be 38 when baby is born,  this is my first pregnancy as AMA. We didn't choose to have any genetic testing done with our first two. I wasn't AMAand didn't have any family history we were concerned with so we chose not to go that route. 

I'm curious to know, for those of you who are/ have done genetic testing what led you to that decision?  If you don't mind me asking of course.  Was it purely age related or were there other factors that influenced your decision? 
  • @MrsB915 we just sent off our test for the Invitae NIPT. I’m 39 and this is our first child (TW: two prior losses). I’m a data person. A heartbreaking test result would be very unlikely to lead us to terminate a pregnancy, but I’d prefer the knowledge of something sad as opposed to the surprise. Our thought is that we will love/cherish him or her regardless of any test result, but if we need to prepare ourselves for a different reality, we’d like the heads up.

I totally get why many women skip the test. It’s such an individual decision and really depends on what kind of info you’d find helpful vs anxiety-producing. 
  • @rachelredhead thanks for sharing your perspective! I think being forewarned of any issues is a great reason to test. Having the information and being able to make a plan are reasons we have talked about testing in the past. 

(TW)My fist was a 32 week preemie so I'm unfortunately familiar with getting scary news around delivery. I went into labor at 31w5d. The neonatologist talked to us about possible complications and it was the scariest conversation I've ever had. 

I think that since I already have anxiety regarding having and sustaining a healthy pregnancy (I had a mc between my sons) I'd rather wait to hear bad news. I definitely see the merit in being prepared and did consider testing this time around because of AMA.
  • @MrsB915 that makes total sense. Just my impression, but it doesn’t seem like many women agonize over the decision to test. I think most women have a gut reaction that says, “yeah, I need this reassurance or information ASAP” or they have a gut reaction that says, “this will not help my anxiety, I think I’d rather not have this info now.” And I think it’s important for everyone to trust that gut response because every mom will feel differently. Fingers crossed and prayers lifted for boring, scare-free pregnancies ahead! 
  • @rachelredhead I completely agree with you that for most it's probably a gut reaction and they just know how much information they are comfortable with.  I'm glad MH and I are on the same page as far as  that goes.  

I'll cross my fingers and pray for those boring and scare-free pregnancies for us all as well! :smiley:
  • busymom247busymom247 member
    edited December 2019
    In response to genetic testing, I will always do it even though we would continue with pregnancy no matter what. Just to know and prepare ourselves if anything is wrong.

Also, I have 4 recent friend examples of (3 who didnt test). The first three had no genetic testing ever or with prior pregnancies. 

- friend found out her son at 2 weeks-1 month old had cystric fibrosis. This was kid #2 and she had no clue she and her husband were carriers
    - friend found out kid #3 at 2.5 yrs old is hemophiliac (no clue she and husband were carriers and other kids are fine)
    - friend found out at birth baby had down  syndrome. She wished she knew bc she said it stole her joy of having new baby. If she'd known shed known to mentally prepare herself (and sometimes there are medical things too)
    - another friends son was born with a host of genetic problems. They knew of just the hydrocephalus seen on ultrasound. 

• @MrsB915 I got the NIPT test done about a week ago and am waiting the results. I'm AMA but I actually was offered and did this test at my last pregnancy too with my current youngest and I wasn't AMA then. I always just say yes to the tests, especially when they are covered, because I figure why not. I'll be honest since this is my 4th that if something major would be wrong with the baby I would really have to consider my options. I have 3 other young kids at home and depending on how severe the issues it might impact their lives forever too so I would like to be prepared and educated and the sooner the better if I had to make a drastic choice. I don't anticipate any issues in truth but I want to be prepared as I can be just in case. 
  • @busymom247 Your post just kinda freaked me out, not in a good way!
    My first child was at 38 and this hopefully 2nd (and last) one will be at 40. Bc we struggled with infertility for years and bc we are also data people like @rachelredhead, we first had genetic testing done to understand what we might be carriers of, then also had genetic testing on our embryos pre-IVF. All that said, I’m still nervous about this pregnancy for some reason...and will be doing NIPT at my 12 wk appt as a first screen (and strongly hoping not to need more invasive testing from there... but if it’s inconclusive I NEED answers).
    Now that we have a healthy & happy child, I feel like we would want to even more carefully consider if we would bring a severely disabled child into the mix or not... 
    I think for that reason I’ve been pretty emotionally disconnected and plan to remain so for several more weeks.
  • I have always enjoyed getting the genetic testing done. I had it with my son at 35, my daughter at 38 and with this pregnancy. I always want ALL the information. Depending upon the information, it would inform decisions we would make regarding the pregnancy. I have two healthy children, thankfully, and I am 42.
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16