July 2020 Moms

Giving Tuesday

Hey everyone! As I'm sure many of you know, today is Giving Tuesday. Giving Tuesday (often styled on social media as #GivingTuesday) is a movement to create an international day of charitable giving at the beginning of the Christmas and holiday season.

While not necessarily related to the majority of this board, I thought it would be nice for all of us to share some causes near and dear to our hearts and, should anyone feel compelled, to support those causes with your dollars, time, sharing, etc!

Re: Giving Tuesday

• I'll start (but I definitely want to hear about causes dear to other folks)! 

While I serve on two nonprofit boards and work for two different nonprofits, the cause that is dearest to me is my local elementary school. Over 100 elementary schools in the Greater Philadelphia area have nowhere for children to play. These children run around on blank asphalt (which often doubles as a parking lot in some areas). We're trying to raise $60,000 to break ground on a playground for these kiddos.

I've jokingly called this the "long con" to H given that we 1. Planned on having kids and 2. Plan on never leaving the neighborhood and that feels more apt now that we're actually doing the kiddo thing. Check out our site if you want to see some cute kiddos playing! https://thomasmifflinschool.org/the-playground
  • @pocketrose thanks for starting! I love the idea of fundraising for playgrounds. All kids should have a safe, fun place to play.

I’m on the board of the Epilepsy Foundation of Minnesota. I have a history of epilepsy and my sister also has epilepsy so the cause is very personal. The foundation currently is focusing on multiple goals but I’m most inspired by the question of how to better support underserved communities. https://www.epilepsyfoundationmn.org/

• Loading the player...
  • I work at a non-profit providing free civil legal services, but the two causes that are more near and dear to my heart are COPAA - coalition of parents attorneys and advocates and ASAN - autism self advocacy network. I represent kids with special needs and that's how I originally got involved w/ COPAA, but now I am also a special needs mom and recognize how important this organization is in helping parents, attorneys ,and advocates to fight for the educational rights of kids w/ special needs. And as an autism mama I am not a fan of autism speaks, which has ZERO autistic people on its board and spends all its money on researching "cures" while ASAN is comprised of people on the spectrum, and advocates for services and resources to help people with autism and promote acceptance (because we have enough awareness). 

***steps off soap box***