Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Breastfeeding/Sleeping through the night

jennl15jennl15 member
edited December 2019 in Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Any tips on getting baby to eat more during the day so they sleep all night?? LO is 5 months old and wakes 2-3 times every night and wants to nurse. We've tried having her cry it out but the only thing to put her back to sleep is to nurse (she'll eat for about 5-10 minutes). I've been exclusively breastfeeding. Wondering if she needs to eat more during the day? She's generally quick eater and eats every 3-4 hours during the day with a feeding only lasting an average of 5-6 minutes. At about 2-3 months she was either sleeping all night or only waking once. Tried starting her with some oatmeal but it seemed to constipate her and upset her tummy. Have since started some veggies for 1-2 meals a day. Any tips?!  

Re: Breastfeeding/Sleeping through the night

• My pediatrician said once they are 6 months and eating 2 meals of solids they can be expected to sleep through the night. When I night weaned my daughter I decreased my night time feeds by 1 minute every other day until I could just rock her back to sleep. After a little while she was sleeping through. Definitely get all her feeds in during the day to help the process.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • My daughter is 4 months old and she sleeps through the night. We sleep trained her and it was really hard, but totally worth it. We used a mix of Ferber method and Chair method and after 6 days, she started skipping her night feeds. If you decide to sleep train your baby, know that CONSISTENCY is key. You need to choose a plan and STICK TO IT. As heartbreaking as it is, you have to follow the plan. My husband did most of it (going in every 10 min to reassure her) because I was crying on the couch and I couldn't see her cry, so if you go with a method including controlled CIO, I stongly suggest your husband takes the lead the first few nights. And you cannot sleep train your baby at night and think you can focus on the naps later. Go big or go home. You need to do both at the same time to avoid confusing your baby. Oh and my baby is exclusively breasfted, she is not eating solids yet, and she eats every 3 to 4 hours during the day following a Feed Play Sleep schedule. Also, during feeds, when she stops swallowing, I burp her and switch boob. When she stops, burp, switch, and again, so she eats 2 times on each boob. Hope this helps