July 2020 Moms

Pregnancy Announcements

Re: Pregnancy Announcements

• @rachstar18 I love it! That is so adorable!
  • Loading the player...
  • @pocketrose I’m sorry you didn’t get the response you were hoping for. DH’s parents’ response was underwhelming. “Oh! Congratulations!... okay, see ya later.” 😂

• How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant?  We don't really have a plan yet to be honest. This was a surprise so it's just hard to process. We want to tell our kids after the New Year because once we tell them everyone will know so it's easier to wait til we are out of the first trimester at least and then once the kids know.it will be a domino of telling everyone else close to us I think. Because I'm older I'll probably know the gender before the first trimester even so I did think it might be cute to do one of those smoke bo.b releases to let the kids find out the sex of the baby. 

How did you tell your partner? I was late and already stressing so I just told him after I got the positive on the pregnancy test.  It wasn't that exciting because we were panicked and stressed. 

Who will you tell next? i have my first sonogram on Monday and I'm dying to get there. I can't solidify this baby in my head I feel until I see it. Once I see it I think I'll feel more comfortable telling a few close friends just so I have someone to talk to and don't have to constantly worry about not letting anything slip. I think for the bulk of people in our lives we are still going to wait til after the first trimester and even longer to day anything on Facebook but for close friends I want to say something sooner just so I can talk about it more openly 

Why are you waiting (or not waiting) to tell? We are waiting to tell family because this is a surprise 4th and I think they are all going to be shocked. I feel my mom especially is going to be mad but what else is new with her in some sense. My youngest is going to be almost 5 when this one comes too so the gap is larger emphasizing even more how unplanned this was.

How and when are you telling those you work with? im a stay at home mom so no work to tell.

Are you making a social media announcement? ill eventually make one yes but not planning on it til at least like 20 weeks or more.
  • How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant?  

Eh I don’t quite know how best to proceed with my family announcement. I am the younger sibling and have not been married as long but already have one LO (a family was really important to DH and I, we started TTC right after we got married in 2017). We struggled with infertility/mcs both times. I also had an incredibly difficult pregnancy and delivery with my first and were told to not attempt to get pregnant for at least a year. We are planning to tell my family at Christmas when my parents come visit. My sister and I have a tense relationship. She and her husband are TTC, however seems to me more like NTNP. I want to be sensitive to her feelings (although she isn’t super sensitive to mine, but that’s a story for another day) but we are also really excited to share about this little one because it’s a miracle he/she will be joining our family. I think we are going to tell my parents with DD in a big sister shirt with just us and then later that day just tell my sister and not make a big deal of it. 

How did you tell your partner?

I showed him the test and said “oh boy!”  He knew I was getting close to be able to test, but didn’t get a BFP the first time around until much later so he wasn’t thinking it would happen so early. We were cautiously optimistic until about a weeks worth of testing all with BFPs!

Who will you tell next?

We have told our very best friends already. We have a group of friends we are very close with that we will tell next. And then family when they get into town if I can wait that long!

Why are you waiting (or not waiting) to tell?

I want to tell my family in person this time around, but that is still three weeks away!

How and when are you telling those you work with?

Two of my closest coworkers know. They know we were TTC and all three of us start within a week, so when I didn’t (I’m usually first) it was a dead giveaway! I will tell the rest of my coworkers after the holidays because I won’t work in isolation rooms at that point, so my other coworkers and I will have to switch our schedules around a bit if need be. 

Are you making a social media announcement?

We probably will. I’m thinking a cute picture with DD standing under the tree in a big sister shirt with a box that has a tag that says open summer 2020. 

• My husband and I found out together, and my mom guessed when I let something slip about being in a doctor’s office. We each told one friend, but we’ve been keeping it a secret otherwise. We planned to wait until after our first appointment to tell his family, but we ended up telling them on Thanksgiving! We were playing Telestrations (telephone Pictionary), and sitting in such a way that my booklet started with me and ended with him. I used “baby” as my word, and when he got to the end he wrote “baby coming July 2020.” His family was sooooo excited, and we got the whole thing on video!

We haven’t told our kids yet, but we’ll wait until we have heartbeat confirmation for that. And we’ll do a social media announcement around Christmastime.
  • @b_1029 We're going to put DD in a santa promoted me to big sister shirt over the holidays when we're with my extended fam.

We'd prob have just waited until a social media announcement was made or I got my life together and sent an announcement/Happy New Year card (for the extended fam) but I did not feel well enough to go shopping in stores for my cousins kids so they're getting cash and I don't want my cousins to judge me for it, so I'm telling them lol... FTR, they prob wouldn't judge me. They're just really sweet and always get DD something so I feel bad phoning it in for their kids this year. They're just older and harder for me b/c I haven't been there yet. I don't know what they're into, ya know? So taking the physical energy to go to multiple stores and get them stuff just wasn't going to happen.
  • @b_1029 that sounds cute! 

@blaf322 how old are your cousin's kids? I know my kids (ages 7-14) are always super excited for a money or gift card gift. They can actually choose something they want instead of potentially pretending to love something that they may not like..what they've been doing is saving and combining their money for large item gifts like a hoverboard, a super cool drone, stuff like that! 
  • I have told my sisters and mom, but everyone else can find out later. We have an ultrasound on 1/10 and an announcement photo session later that afternoon (as long as everything looks good) then we will share it on FB a week or two later when we get the photos back. 
  • @modoodles They range between 8 and 12yo... I loved cash at that age too. So I'm hoping they're happy!
  • @b_1029 omg I kind of love how you told your family! That's so fun.

Apparently I missed this thread at first so I'll do it now:

How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant?  

Have already told some (I'm 11 weeks tomorrow), but generally waiting until after we get the nuchal US done and bloodwork back.

How did you tell your partner?

It was pretty lame. For DD, it was so fun because I found out near his bday so I put a positive test in a bday card and told him I wanted him to open one present early. He was shocked and excited. This time, we had kind of talked about trying this month and then putting it on hold until next summer (for my work schedule and also because DH just started a new job and wouldn't be eligible for paid leave if he hadn't been there a full year). Well, it was a Sunday and my period was supposed to start that day. I was bleeding that morning so I assumed yep, right on schedule, not pregnant. Later in the morning, I was like maybe I should test, just in case, so I can have a beer during the football game. I had an expired test and there was a faint line. I was like well shit, I guess I need to get some un-expired tests, so I made up an excuse and went to the store, frantically texting my two best friends and freaking out inside. I decided to wait until I put DD down for her nap so I didn't have a toddler crying at my legs while I waited for the results. DH went to the gym, I put her down and took the test and it was positive. When he came home, I was like don't be mad, but I think I'm pregnant. I wasn't convinced it wasn't a chemical because I was bleeding that morning and knew it may not stick. But, here we still are.

Who will you tell next?

Families - my brother already knows because he's a real estate agent and has been showing me houses. He point blank asked me and I'm a bad liar lol. We told my family last night at a family party. My SIL is pregnant with their third and so I walked in with a bottle of sparkling cider and said this is for me and SIL. My stepmom and sister were like oh that's nice. I was like did you guys even hear what I said? It took me repeating it three times for them to get it lol. Going to do the same thing xmas eve for DH's family and xmas day for my mom.

Why are you waiting (or not waiting) to tell?

I feel like I've told more people this time than last time. Our preference would be to wait to tell everyone but family/close friends after 12 weeks, but I haven't really stuck to it.

How and when are you telling those you work with?

I told my one boss at like 8 weeks because I just felt so shitty all day. I told her and she was like "I know. I called it weeks ago." So I hadn't been hiding it well lol. But it was the right move because she took pity on me and has been letting me work from home when things are really bad. I told my other boss the same week. Overall work has been super supportive and I feel very lucky.

Are you making a social media announcement? Nope, I'm not a big social media announcer.
  • @b_1029 Once we saw the heartbeat last Thursday, we basically told everyone. DH spilled it to some of his colleagues who knew about IVF and he is meeting some old friends tonight wearing his 'BatDad' t-shirt. I am curious to see how long it takes them to notice. We live next door to his aunt and uncle so we told them. At the time they were hosting the teenage girls of the family for their annual dress up dinner so everyone got to know. Once the aunt and uncle know then the whole family knows :tongue: We still have some neighbours and family friends who we will see over Christmas, but I imagine they will know by then. 

I have been cautioned by my co-workers not to tell my boss until I want everyone to know. He has no filter and will tell everyone he sees, including clients, about my personal uterine business. So he is the only one who doesn't get to know.
  • @bluguitarhannah oh I like the lottery tickets! I think I bought the same “my siblings have paws” onesie haha. Big boo to her parents 🙄
  • My first appointment and US is on Friday morning, which is also when we're going our family Christmas, so we'll tell my brother and SIL then; my parents already know. We have no cute plans or anything, lol. MH's family won't find out until just prior to it being public knowledge, I think, which would be closer to end of 1st tri (late January).
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • I got these cute onsies for my parents and in-laws and put them in a gift box for Christmas. They said it’s the best gift ever.
  • @b_1029 awww... I love that <3 Totally teared up reading your post!
  • I finally posted our announcement on social media late last week. I just posted a copy of our happy new year card with "Happy New Year!" written as the text to go along with it. Poor second kid doesn't even get a big exciting announcement :D .... But, here's a pic I took of the card to show you guys. I couldn't find the digital file today. Our names are blacked out, obviously 

• @blaf322 you don't look terrible AT ALL! but I will agree that your DD is freaking adorable! 
  • @blaf322 you look fantastic and omg your daughter’s curls! 😍😍
  • @blaf322 what?! Shut up, you look great! It's a super cute family photo.
  • @blaf322 Echoing everyone but you all look like the perfect family and DD is adorable!
  • Thanks y'all... I wasn't fishing for compliments but do appreciate the kind words <3

@meanjellybean I knoooow... I love them. Well, love/hate b/c they're a PITA to care for. She needs a trim but I'm too scared of cutting them and having them not grow in with the rest of her hair. Which is silly... but still lol... I hold out on the cut for now.
  • @modoodles aww... I love it just as much the 2nd time around! Love that announcement!
  • These are all so great! So excited for everyone to share their big news. I have yet to find the motivation to get it together for a social media announcement. Everyone important in our lives knows and I’m not hiding it anymore. I don’t think we shared til around 16/17 weeks with DS. Who knows what’ll happen with second baby 😂
  • @kittenslove that’s a lot to manage - physically and emotionally! My grandmother was dying in my first trimester with DD1 and I remember feeling the same way. I was also worried that if I told her, she would try to hang on longer - which she’d already done a couple times for my wedding and another event. But it also just felt odd to bring up until things calmed down a bit. I’m also totally on board with not mentioning anything until late in the game or once the baby has arrived - I did that with my first and it was fun to see everyone’s surprised responses. 

I allllmost told my boss yesterday, because he was basically like, “you looked rough last week, is anything going on?” So I think he might actually be guessing that I am, but I just told him I was really sick (which I also was), because I want to wait until my appointment checks out okay this Friday before I start telling people in general. I kind of don’t want to bc I just don’t feel like talking to people about it right now, but it’s going to be obvious very soon. 
  • @Pascal86 that’s fantastic. I actually don’t think I’m going to share anything this time until the baby arrives. Like obviously my IRL people are going to know and I’ve told my friends and family but I just feel like announcing on social media. But I hear you, I’m already showing so it’s going to be pretty obvious when people see photos of me.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • @kittenslove That’s a lot to process in such a short period of time. I’m so sorry you’re going through that. I also lost my dad on 11/25 and I was about 8 weeks pregnant. It was such a weird bittersweet space to be in. The morning after he passed, was when I had my first ultrasound. I didn’t know how to feel that day. I also haven’t announced yet because of that reason, so I get you!