Baby Names

Red Headed Girl Name Considerations?

Would you find it odd to meet a redhead named Ruby, Lucy, Wendy, or Ginger?

Red Headed Girl Name Considerations? 38 votes

Yes
18% 7 votes
No
36% 14 votes
Yes to some of those - Please explain
44% 17 votes

Re: Red Headed Girl Name Considerations?

• Ruby and Lucy don’t strike me as odd. I get the connection, but they don’t scream cheesy. I have a friend who has a red headed daughter named Lucy. Funny thing is nobody else in the immediate family has red hair. They had no idea when she was born. 

Wendy and Ginger are just bad, especially Ginger. 
  • Lucy, no issue.
    I think of Piper, Evelyn, Brooklyn, Lenora
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely not Ginger and Ruby. I wouldn’t really question the other two. 
  • I don’t get it. Are you purposely looking to give them a name they’ll get made fun of for? Because you forgot Pippy Longstockings, Pepper Ann, Jessica Rabbit, and Daphne from Scooby Doo.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • doodleoodledoodleoodle member
    edited November 2019
    @meggyme You’re right, you don’t get it. As a redhead myself, that’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid. Honestly, I was only considering Ruby and Lucy but was feeling very hesitant because my other children have red hair and so it’s likely this one will as well. I added the other names into the poll just because I was curious where people would draw the line. 

ETA I was extremely vague in my post because I didn't want to influence anyone’s responses. I very much like the name Ruby and it occurred to me that it might be strange for a redhead to be named Ruby. When I googled it to see what other people said about it all I could find were lists of names “perfect” for redheads such as: Aurora which means red king, Amber, Poppy, Rose, Penny, etc. The lists went on and on with names I hadn’t previously associated with the red hair but once it was pointed out it seemed so obvious. I guess I was hoping Ruby would fall into that same category for others. 
  • Ok, I guess I was thrown off by the list of cartoonish redheads, like you were trying to decide between the four for some reason.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Ginger is the only one that really bothers me just because redheads can be referred to (for better or worse) as gingers.  I've thought of this some as there's a very real possibility I could end up with a redhead myself.  Kids are cruel.  With any name we are considering we think of how it may be made fun of, what does it rhyme with, etc.
  • @pirateduck we do the same thing here
  • Ginger would be bad.
    It took me a while to figure out why Lucy or Wendy might be bad so maybe they are fine for this generation. 
    I love the name Ruby but wouldn’t really want it for a true redhead. 
  • mb0112 said:
    Ginger would be bad.
    It took me a while to figure out why Lucy or Wendy might be bad so maybe they are fine for this generation. 

What is the association to Wendy?

• saham07 said:
    mb0112 said:
    Ginger would be bad.

I think it's the Wendy's restaurant
  • So what is the consensus of names to avoid? Anne? Sienna? Autumn? I’m wondering where to draw the line. The majority of people seem to think Ruby is ridiculous so that’s out, even though I love it. 

Thanks for your help!!
  • So what is the consensus of names to avoid? Anne? Sienna? Autumn? I’m wondering where to draw the line. The majority of people seem to think Ruby is ridiculous so that’s out, even though I love it. 

Thanks for your help!!
    I don’t really understand the goal. At first I thought you liked the short list of names but didn’t know if any should be a dealbreaker considering she will likely be a redhead. Now it seems like you are trying to find a name with a subtle but not too obvious connection with red?? I think you should focus on what names you like best overall, since you don’t know if she will have red hair and her hair color is just one element of who she will be, but avoid any that seem too intentionally “red” like Ginger.
  • @mb0112 I’m trying to figure out what names would be a problem with red hair. I am not trying to pick a name that references hair color at all. I am getting the vibe that I’m coming off as annoying so I’ll just let this thread die lol 

Thanks for the help, ladies :)
  • saham07 said:
    mb0112 said:
    Ginger would be bad.

I think it's the Wendy's restaurant

NEVER ever would have made that connection

• The only one that struck me as a no go initially was Ginger.
  • Ginger and Wendy are the no's from me. Ruby is pushing it but ok and Lucy I think is fine nowadays as that's an older generation reference. This is my opinion as a redhead myself.  Hope you find the perfect name for your little one!
  • We have 2 redheaded nieces (one on each side of the family). We are naming our girl Lucy even though we know she might be a redhead. I don’t think it’s a big deal any more as I Love Lucy was so long ago (and in black and white), but we did talk about the possibility. I probably wouldn’t have made the connection with Wendy and would be totally fine with Ruby as well. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • I like Lucy and Wendy! Ginger just wouldn't be very nice for obvious reasons. I probably wouldn't think twice about red-head named Ruby and honestly think it's cute.