group 1 (april 1-8) check in week of 11/18

EDD/W+D:  

Team finding out/pink/blue/green: 

Baby is the size of a(n): 

Upcoming Appointments: 

How are you feeling? 

Raves/Rants: 

Questions:

GTKY: What will be your biggest splurge for baby? 

Re: group 1 (april 1-8) check in week of 11/18

• EDD/W+D:  4/6 - 20 weeks today!!! Woop woop! 

Team finding out/pink/blue/green: Pink

Baby is the size of a(n): Banana...mmm...I want a banana

Upcoming Appointments: Repeat a/s Wednesday since my belly was TOO FAT for last time to get all the detail on everything..

How are you feeling? My lower back and hips are getting a little achy and my nipples are very sensitive but besides that, pretty good.

Raves/Rants: See above, I was really irritated at my a/s last week with the MFM for the level 2 ultrasound. "You just don't have the right body for a good scan" and "Because of the extra fat around the belly, this is more like a 1982 ultrasound than a 2019 ultrasound" THANKS SO MUCH.

Questions: 

GTKY: What will be your biggest splurge for baby? I'm really obsessed with the stroller I registered for...it's $1200 -eeeeeeeeks! But I tried it in store and it navigates like a BREEZE and you can build onto it for a 2nd kid...soooooooo, that's how I'm justifying it!
  • EDD/W+D:  April 3/ 20 weeks, 3 days

Team finding out/pink/blue/green: Blue

Baby is the size of a(n): banana

Upcoming Appointments: I had my anatomy scan today! And have a midwife appointment next Wednesday 

How are you feeling? Good! I’m feeling more pregnant and belly is popping. I’ve been having a recurrent stiff neck periodically the past few months. I think it’s from sleeping on my side more. 

Raves/Rants: 
    I had our anatomy scan today and it was so awesome to see or little guy! Everything looked good! 

Questions:
    Have you guys figured out child care if you plan on going back to work? It’s really stressing me out 

Probably furniture for the nursery or the Bob stroller 
  • Loading the player...
  • @literatureandink that sucks about the employee at your ultrasound - you would think someone who has a job working almost exclusively with women who all dealing with body changes (too big, too small, generally uncomfortable, etc!!) would be aware enough not to make rude comments. 

@babyrummom we lined up childcare around 10 weeks since we’re in a city with long waitlists and it was probably the most stressful part of this pregnancy. Even starting that early we ended up at a “not ideal” branch location of our daycare and will eventually transfer into one close to our house. The process is frustrating. Usually when I spend $$$$ on something at least the process is nice. The daycare search is more like riding on a Greyhound bus even though you’re spending enough money to fly first class on Emirates Airline. 😂😬 
  • EDD/W+D:  April 6, 20 + 1

Team finding out/pink/blue/green: GREEN!

Upcoming Appointments: december 13

How are you feeling? Pretty good! Not motivated to do anything, but feeling well!

Raves/Rants: having a hard time sleeping on side...lots of tossing/turning

Questions:

GTKY: What will be your biggest splurge for baby? Not sure! We’re moving in January, so not buying anything yet. Hopefully a nice rocker for the nursery!
  • EDD/W+D: April 7 / 20 weeks

Team finding out/pink/blue/green: We just found out this morning - we’re having a boy!

Baby is the size of a(n): Banana

Upcoming Appointments: Anatomy scan went well today, 24 week appointment right before Christmas

How are you feeling? No pregnancy complaints, but it’s a stressful work week, and I’m worried about my cat because he’s been exhibiting some weird symptoms. ☹️

Raves/Rants: So grateful for my OB who quickly reviewed the anatomy images from this morning and sent me a message this afternoon to let me know everything is looking good!

Questions:

GTKY: What will be your biggest splurge for baby? Probably nursery furniture, but not quite sure yet!
  • @literatureandink I’m still so mad for you! I hope you have a different tech at your next appointment. Was it today? How did it go?

@babyrummom We don’t have a plan for childcare yet. I’m hoping my work will be flexible and let me come back remotely for a while or at least for a few days a week so there might be fewer days for other care...
  • EDD/W+D:  April 7, 20+1

Team finding out/pink/blue/green: finding out!

Baby is the size of a(n): ??

Upcoming Appointments: I have both a midwife appointment and the 20 week ultrasound today!

How are you feeling? I’ve been having lots of back pain. This happened last time as well, but not as bad

Raves/Rants: I think DS is close to saying his first words (Yay!) because he’s been waking up around 4 am to play for an hour before falling back to sleep (boo)

Questions:

GTKY: What will be your biggest splurge for baby? The convertible car seat - we’ll get another Clek Fllo in Mammoth for this baby. Any other big ticket items will be reused. 
  • @literatureandink I’m still so mad about that doctor! Hopefully you get someone better today 

@babyrummom So glad your scan went well!

@masters1010 I’m with you on tossing and turning lots - I’d like to say it gets better, but it doesn’t haha

@jenabary Yay for a baby boy! 
  • EDD/W+D:  21 weeks

Team pink 

Baby is the size of a(n): weasel haha

Upcoming Appointments: 24 wk appointment next month and childbirth class on the 8th

How are you feeling? We had professional work headshots today and I look the worst I ever have in my life. I’m so sad this is going to be on the website forever and submitted with all our award entries. Photographer is still here but I can’t retake it now that I’m all watery-eyed from going through old photos before I had three chins and nine pimples. 

Raves/Rants: see above. 

Questions:

Husband wants one of those snoo bassinets. He also bought an owlet. Apparently he is wild for infant tech items. 
  • EDD/W+D:  20wk + 6 days

Team finding out/pink/blue/green: pink!

Upcoming Appointments: second attempt at a/s on Wednesday, unless I am successful at changing the location I visit before then

How are you feeling? My nausea (which went away a month ago) reered its head again this week. I think its lack of sleep. Hopefully it will go away when I'm off next week!

Raves/Rants: Similar to @literatureandink I had a terrible a/s experience, mainly down to the rude tech. I'm sorry girl! I don't know why these people have such bad attitudes. She were even snarky to MH who hardly spoke during the appt. If I have to go back to this location, I'm requesting a different tech, which I'm sure won't go down well.

Questions: None today!

GTKY: What will be your biggest splurge for baby? I'm trying to talk myself out of splurging on everything atm. With imaginary money.  Probably will end up being the stroller though (at the very least!)
  • @literatureandink That’s awesome - so glad it went the way it should go!
  • EDD/W+D:  April 6 / 20+2

Team finding out/pink/blue/green: Blue!

Upcoming Appointments: Had my a/s last week and all is good! Such a relief! 

How are you feeling? Really good! Occasional aches and pains but nothing too bad! 

Raves/Rants: I’m finally feeling kicks! We also bought our nursery furniture yesterday and set it all up today. So exciting! 

Questions: @babyrummom thankfully I have a year off for maternity leave and after that it will be our parents. We both work 12 hour shiftwork so standard daycare would not work for us. 

GTKY: What will be your biggest splurge for baby? Pretty sure I’m going to get the uppababy vista stroller and Mesa car seat. Definitely big splurge.. but worth it I think !? 
  • @literatureandink I'm so happy to hear that your follow up went better! That gives me hope. I'm still thinking of calling and asking for a different tech in advance. Mine was just really unprofessional in that she seemed like she didn't want us to be there from the moment we entered. Her first comment to us was "I have a lot of pictures to take so I'll show you the baby when I'm done". Which, okay, fair, get your work done first. But then she kept complaining about the baby "like oh this kid won't move, this kid won't listen". Not the nicest but maybe you've had a long day, except that its 8:30am. MH was looking at the monitor, which I couldn't see, and he asked if baby was sucking her thumb, to which the tech responded "I'm not looking at that and I wouldn't tell you anyway". She also made me insert the transvaginal stick for the ultrasound myself. Is that not weird?! She basically seemed like she didn't want to talk to us at all and was inconvenienced by the task, which for an hour and a half is unsettling. I wasn't anxious before the test but when she seemed unwilling to even confirm if she was sucking her thumb, it freaked me out like is something wrong? I don't expect diagnoses from a tech, that's what the doctor's review is for, but she had a wall up before we even got started. And in the end she didn't show me the baby like she promised.

Sorry for the long rant. I should have fought back more. I just didn't realize thiswas something I was going to need to bring my attitude for.
  • *lurking from group 2*

@liligirl87 I’m so mad at that tech. Seriously, she made you insert the wand yourself? WTF? Also, in my experience, the a/s is abdominal.  Was there a special reason they needed to use the wand? That lady sounds super sketch. I would request a different tech and probably file a complaint with the facility. 

@literatureandink So glad your second a/s was better. Size 16 is not big and you’ve done so much work to lose the weight. The first tech should be smacked for talking that way. At least you got a good tech this time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @mercury94 Both abdominal and internal were done. The tech said my OB recommended internal to look for any signs of preterm labor. Not sure why as this is my first pregnancy, but I don't mind if its something that can be detected. Idk..... can it ?? This whole experience was bizarre.
  • @liligirl87 Usually transvaginal is useful if preterm labor is suspected because it can give a more detailed view of the cervix (if preterm labor was suspected they could see more detail to make sure the length is right and that it's closed on both ends) but it's not usually standard unless there's an issue, which there obviously wasn't in your case. I never mind an extra dose of just to be safe checking, but she definitely shouldn't have made you insert it yourself. Is that even best hygiene practices...did they give you gloves??
  • @liligirl87 Weird that they did both internal and external. But, I will say, having PCOS and going through fertility testing, I’ve had a fair number of transvaginal ultrasounds and they always had me insert the wand myself. I believe it’s considered trauma-informed to do so, as so many women have experienced assault, and having someone else insert it could feel violating?
  • EDD/W+D:  Due April Fools, 21w1d today

Team finding out/pink/blue/green: team blue!

Baby is the size of a(n): oh I forgot to look! Ultrasound tech yesterday said baby is approx 14oz!

Upcoming Appointments: we had the fetal echo yesterday and next appt in 2 weeks with my OB

How are you feeling? Awesome!

Raves/Rants: Rave is that the final fetal echocardiogram was totally normal! Since having the initial abnormal nuchal ultrasound, all testing has come back normal and we no longer have to see the perinatologist!! I am now ready to put that to bed and enjoy this (my last!) Pregnancy. Rant is I am feeling really sad and terrible today. We were out doing errands and my 2 yr old DD kept standing in the cart. Probably the 40th time I went to sit her back down, she fell out of the cart right before I could get to her. I cried. She cried. I feel awful. She seems to be fine and didnt hit her head but I just feel like a failure. 

Questions: Anyone else's mother in law driving them crazy yet this holiday season?! Lord give me patience.

GTKY: What will be your biggest splurge for baby? A double Bob jogging stroller. I have a single and run every day with my little. It keeps me sane and I HAVE to have that time. Otherwise, I have everything except nursery furniture for this baby.

@liligirl87 it sounds like the u/s tech was very rude! I am sorry for your experience. I will say though that my OB office has a phenomenal tech and she always asks me to insert it myself when she does a cervical measurement. Maybe they feel that way they dont have to look directly at your vagina? Never bothered me. 
  • @mwill291 do you love your Bob stroller? My husband and I are both runners and I think this will be our big splurge. I’ve been checking out swap and sell sites too to see if we can get it cheaper!
  • @mwill291 So glad that everything looks good! What a relief!
  • @mwill291 I’m so happy that everything looks great and you can breathe that sigh of relief and enjoy the rest of this pregnancy! 

@liligirl87 I still think the tech was a jerk but I take back my questioning comments about inserting the wand yourself or questioning the hygiene!
  • jenabaryjenabary member
    edited November 2019
    @liligirl87 Wow! I can’t believe your tech made what should be an exciting experience into a stressful and frustrating one! I would absolutely call ahead to explain that you would prefer a different tech. And if your new tech isn’t showing you the baby, insist on it! My facility had two screens, one in front of me and one in front of the tech. I’m sure every office is different, but they should know parents will want to see what is going on in there!

@mwill281 What a relief! I’m sure it has been a stressful time. So glad everything is looking good!

Edited to correct typo!! (New not jew!)
  • Thanks ladies for your input & support! I feel better about the wand now too after hearing some of your experiences.

Update: I called my OB and she's getting me another appointment at a different place that she highly recommends, so hoping its at least a normal appointment where I'm allowed to see baby :) hoping for some good news. So glad to hear all of your happy updates! 
  • It is so interesting to hear everyone’s different experiences with OB and ultrasound techs. It seems like there is a lot of variation in the services offered. I wish when I was selecting an OB it was be easy to find information on their level of service! Ex: I would be 100% more likely to select an OB who has the ultrasound screen facing the patient versus one where only the tech can see it.

I tried to do a lot of research prior to picking mine but there just wasn’t enough information to compare them. Given how many people in the country (and world) have babies every day, it would be nice if there was a way for this information to be available.