March 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Breast Pumps & Accessories!

The Product Spotlight Series continues! Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. If you discover something new or are new to the board, you're welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight. FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format--or none of them. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome! This week it's... Breast Pumps and Accessories!

S(+)TMs: Give us the pros and cons of what you have, or ask about what you want. What brand(s) have you used? Which one is best and why? Are you dreaming of any that are on the market now? Battery powered or outlet? Open or closed system? What are the best accessories? How did you go about getting one through your insurance?

FTMs: What brands are you interested in? What questions do you have?

To view the upcoming PSS schedule, based off of S19's, see here: March 2020 PSS Spreadsheet!
Up next week: Diapering!

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Breast Pumps & Accessories!

• STM
    What brand(s) have you used? I have a Spectra S1 and love it. Super simple to use, powerful, nightlight option, and QUIET. I can't imagine being tethered to a wall outlet - the built in battery was/is a lifesaver. 
    Battery powered or outlet? Battery powered with a/c adapter option
    Open or closed system? CLOSED. Not sure why anyone would want to deal with an open system ... ew.
    What are the best accessories? Uuuuummmmm maybe have a couple different size flanges handy when you first start out in case your nipples are't standard size. I think mine came with two different sizes, and having the correct size makes all the difference in the world when it comes to efficacy and comfort. 
    How did you go about getting one through your insurance? Most pump sites will bill insurance for you, but it never hurts to talk to your insurance provider first. My insurance gave me a list of websites/manufacturers that they worked with. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• So curious to see it anyone has experience with a Willow or Elvie.

I had a Medela last time that was free through insurance (i knew nothing about open v. Closed, etc) and then i upgraded to a Spectra later on.

Best accessorie: freemie cups and then the duck bill flanges instead of the standard ones that came with the Medela.

I loved BFing my daughter and really look forward to the experience again! Last time I stopped at 14 months (totally dried up) and I’m hoping to go longer this time :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Loading the player...
  • I had the Ameda Purely Yours last time and really liked it (well as much as you can like a breast pump). It is a closed system (sorry popular Medela PISA but open systems gross me out) and it was free through my insurance. It came with a lot of accessories: extra bottles, different sized flanges, tote bag, cooler, and ice packs for the cooler! I’ll probably get it again assuming it’s still free though I’m considering the Spectra bc I’ve heard such great things. I still have spare parts for the Ameda though so cost wise it makes more sense for me. I used mine plugged in but you could use batteries. It took like 8 AAs or something crazy though so I only did that when we were on a trip or lost power. 

I also got the Ameda manual pump and it sucks so look for a different manual. I highly recommend getting a manual in addition to the double electric. There are times when you just need to pump a bit off for comfort and a cheap manual (usually like $20) is so small and easy to stash in a purse or diaper bag. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Agree with @stassischroeder love my chargeable spectra. 

I also likes the kiinde system bc you can directly pump into the storage bags. However, it’s probably not worth the money. But there were a lot of times I was traveling and needed a small portable way to handle pumping and saving milk and the kiinde made my life easier. It’s expensive, but very convenient. I had normal, cheaper storage bags for every day use. 
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• My hospital supplied me with a Medela, and it was fine, but I’ll probably do some actual research this time! I didn’t pump much but it’s something I’d like to do more this time around, to have a stockpile. 
  • I chose a Medela last time because I also had a Medela hospital grade pump and I wanted to use the same accessories. This time I'll probably go with a Spectra. It's what I decided on last time, but made the decision last minute in the hospital when I wasn't thinking clearly. It worked out fine, but I wanted a closed system. 

I had Freemie cups which I loved for pumping at work. FFFC: I really hated pumping at work and wasn't that into breastfeeding *gasp*. I stuck with it in earnest for 6 months and continued morning feedings until 12 months, but felt relieved to be done. 
  • @keeksie84 yes the haaka! So much leakage. 

• I had the Medela that I got free from insurance. It worked really well. Their bottles and slow flow nipples were really good for transitioning back and forth from bottle to breast. And I liked their storage system too. 

• I had a Medela freestyle the first time. I love that it’s small, battery powered, closed system, and Medela is so ubiquitous that if I needed to run out and get a replacement part or I forgot phalanges or something, I could run to target and get them. The only Medela product I didn’t love was the little milk storage bags. But I’m thinking about getting a Spectra since it will be cheap with insurance and it can’t be bad to have two options, right?

as far as accessories, I recommend the haaka! So cheap and well worth it. It’s also good to have a manual pump on hand for “emergencies”. One time I was at a meeting in a tiny town and brought my pump but forgot one piece of it. I had a manual and was able to use that. Lastly, a good pumping bra is a necessity. I didn’t like the Medela one but I can’t remember which one I ended up loving. I’m sure I’ll dig it out with my maternity stuff soon. 
  • MadamemerleMadamemerle member
    edited August 2019
    I had the Medela Pump in Style because my doctor ordered it directly for me without consulting me. I mean, that's fine... I understand why they do that, but I did want to get the Spectra. 

If I can get another pump this time (I think I can?) then I'll get the Spectra.

I ended up hating and resenting the Medela pump. I worked without a fixed office, and the  desk I did have was open plan. I would be in three different places or more in a working day, So I had to carry around my pump and my milk in an ice bag all day with me and it made me absolutely miserable. I think I would have pumped for longer if the pump was not so bulky, and heavy and the process of finding somewhere to pump not so onerous. It was so annoying to have to find a room with an outlet, with a door that could close and did not have a glass panel (like two or three times a day!).

Basically : consider your working conditions carefully when looking at what each pump offers. I think the Spectra would have worked better for me and might have helped me get to a year bfeeding instead of 9 months.

@silverhope I also used the kiinde system when working because it was so much easier. That said, I felt really guilty about its environmental impact (seems so wasteful) but I was desperate for anything that made pumping easier and it definitely did that! 
  • @Madamemerle yea the cap definitely would make if worse for the environment that a normal storage bag. Hadn’t thought of that. 

• I second @laurenm2123 and LOVE the Freemies. I did a lot of mobile pumping with work and they were awesome. I had the Medela PISA and its was ok. I actually didn't know there was a difference between open and closed systems but I am off to google to find out. This go around I want the Freemies and the hands free Freemie pump because it is completely mobile and clips on to your waistband. 

After hearing @stassischroeder review of the Spectra 1 I might get that with the Freemies that match that system (depends what insurance will help cover). Originally I was just going to use the Freemies that I had but they have upgraded and I think it leads to less spillage. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• How do the freemies work your bra? Do you need a special bigger bra for them? I didn’t have to pump a lot bc I stayed home but when I did pump it was a pain bc I had to find somewhere to contain DS (and he was high needs so he pretty much screamed the whole time) or he’d be grabbing at my pump parts and tubing making a mess. Having a hands free way to pump might actually have made pumping when I needed to less stressful. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @varimama the freemies just go in any bra you wear, they kind of just sit there. My boobs were too big for the handsfree bra and I kept having to fix the zipper so I had to come up with another hands free solution. The freemies are awesome! 

@laurenm2123 my cousin just got the Willow and loves it but man is it pricey! Also I feel like my boobs are too big for it when I’m breastfeeding. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @AAAG13 i know it’s soooo expensive! I’ve heard the Elvie is similar but cheaper. But I’m a DD so neither may work for me haha
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • @laurenm2123 I was a 34G when I was nursing and I was able to stuff the freemie cups into my bra. It was pretty snug, but so much better than using one of those dumb strapless pumping bras at work.

@varimama I think freemie cups are only as hands free as using a traditional pump with a pumping bra. You're still tethered to your pump. I only had the cups...they do sell a pump that clips on your belt, but I didn't have that. I used mine with my medela. 

I found this artical comparing the Freemie pump with Willow and Elvie. Personally, I'm much too cheap to get a $500 pump (Willow and Elvie) but the Freemie pump is having a once a year sale right now and I'm actually considering getting one for $150 - $200.

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-quiet-breast-pumps-elvie-freemie-willow.html

https://freemie.com/collections/once-a-year-sale?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2K3rBRDiARIsAOFSW_6gZcpfJt7qpTup7LvhNVqp3dCxQBNoGnHhAtpjs0s0hhPObUyxJg4aAl3yEALw_wcB
  • Another vote for the Spectra S1. Insurance will cover most of the cost, and it’s worth shelling out the extra $40 or whatever. It’s quiet, relatively comfortable, wireless (if it’s charged), and you can really adjust how strong and fast the suck is to match your baby/boobs. I’m intrigued by something like the willow, but I’m a nurse (so it’s not like I have an office job) and I’m too cheap to spend hundreds on a pump. 
  • I had the Medela backpack pump for DD (late 2015). I believe the portability of that pump cannot be beat, just unzip the little front pocket, which stores the pump, the plug (battery pack option available), and tubing. I also really liked the ability to just pump into the bottles I would send to daycare the next morning. I have never been a great pumper, so didn't have to use storage bags with this pump. I am an A cup, but with sizable nipples, so I have a hard time with flanges. I need a larger size for my nipples to not rub the sides, but the larges don't get a great seal and suction around my breast. I ended up getting Pumpin' Pal Breast Flanges from Amazon that fit onto the Medela then and using nipple cream around the edge to get a better seal.
    For DS, I used the Aeroflow website to get the Spectra S2 (the pink one but I'm not sure the difference between it and the S1). The website was awesome, I just gave my insurance info, and they acquired the Rx from my OB and got back to me with my allotted spending amount to use on their site. I honestly can't remember if it was 100% covered, but close enough for sure. I'll be using the Spectra again, it's quieter, more gentle, and maybe it was the better BF'ing relationship I had with DS from the start but I had better outcome with it. I do wish the accessories and bottle compatibility were comparable to the Medela.
    • I bought a Banana Fish pumping bag from Target, it's much larger than the Medela backpack, and I would have to pull the whole pump out to use it. I used my Medela battery pack with the Spectra, but the cord was long enough that I just used the outlet as often as possible because if the batteries started going out it would weaken the suction. 
    • It has a wide mouth connector, so not many compatible bottles to hook up to the pump and not many bottle and nipple purchasing options through Spectra (in 2018). I tried Philips Avent but didn't feel it connected well. I ended up just using the bottles it came with, transferring to Lansinoh storage bags (I like these better than Medela and Up and Up), and then into the bottle for daycare the next day. I'm sure we'll have a bottle highlight, but DS refused bottles until 7 months, so I tried out a TON!!
    • The Lansinoh pumping bra was the only one I used for both, it worked well enough to never pursue another option.
    • I second the Haaka!! But actually for me, these knock offs from amazon worked better as they were smaller and lighter (and 2 for 1!). I can't find the exact ones, but something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Breast-Protective-Portable-Feeding/dp/B07J55V2Z3/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=breastmilk+collector&amp;qid=1567610986&amp;s=gateway&amp;sr=8-7&amp;th=1
    I think that's it!!
  • When do you order your pump? 

- I'll probably get the Spectra 1 (I think it's maybe $30-$50 out of pocket to 'upgrade' through my insurance)
    - Register for a Hakaa (there are multiple types of Haaka's now, so not sure which one to get)

Thanks again for all of the input from the STM's!
    BFP: 7/8/19
    EDD: 3/19/20

• @lusineg at some point in my 3rd trimester my OB gave me the info on the company to contact to get my pump through insurance. I called and they emailed me the choices and what was covered. I did some research and picked one then they shipped it to me and I got it in a couple days! Super easy. I wouldn’t worry about it until 3rd trimester. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Thanks @varimama!

• I had the misfortune of having a baby who couldn't latch no matter what we did, but desperately wanting to breastfeed exclusively. So I pumped and only pumped from the time he was 2 weeks old until he turned one. I had an Ameda at first, and I hated it. I bought a used Medela (I think PISA?) and it worked much better. I also loved how universal the parts were. But honestly, my insurance won't cover a breast pump anyways so I'm going to spend the money on either the Willow or the Elvie this time. If I end up exclusively pumping again, it is very much worth the money. Spending 20-30 minutes attached to my pump every 3ish hours was a hideous way to live my life and I resented it, plus I work for a company where the male:female ratio is like 25:1 and there is no private place for me to pump that isn't the bathroom. My office has a door.... and three ridiculously huge windows that it's against company policy for me to hang curtains or blinds in. I second strongly considering your working conditions when choosing the pump that's best for you.
  • @hellobabys Do they not provide a private place where you can pump?

• @hellobabys I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to not provide you with a private place to pump that isn’t a bathroom. You should talk to HR. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @hellobabys I believe part of ACA is that insurance is required to cover a breast pump. 
  • *lurker*

varimama said:
    @hellobabys I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to not provide you with a private place to pump that isn’t a bathroom. You should talk to HR. 
    This is true with some exceptions. @hellobabys, if you have more than 50 employees at your company, your employer HAS to provide a private non-bathroom space that locks for you to pump. If you're hourly, they have to let you have breaks for that purpose. https://www.dol.gov/whd/nursingmothers/faqbtnm.htm

jenEP said:
    @hellobabys I believe part of ACA is that insurance is required to cover a breast pump. 
    There are grandfathered plans from pre-ACA that don't cover pumps. Also, there are non-insurance plans such as healthcare cost sharing plans that are excempt from the ACA that may or may not cover pumps. They aren't required to because they aren't insurance, and people who have them technically are exempt from the ACA requirement to have insurance. I know lots of people who colloquially refer to them as "their insurance" because it is similar, and it's easier than explaining every time in non-medical settings. 
  • Finally getting around to ordering my pump via insurance. I'm leaning towards the Spectra due to all the great reviews on here, but was wondering if any one had used the Lansinoh Smartpump Double Electric Pump in past pregnancies? It has bluetooth and an app attachment, which is cool, but not sure if it's just bells and whistles or would actually be helpful? TIA!
  • I’m waiting until LO comes for me to commit to a pump so in the interim I registered for the Hakka as it’s an inexpensive item that’s been highly recommended and echoed here. I just figured I’ll buy a pump if needed after baby comes and I can see how she does with the latching/ see how and if I supply, etc. I’m not putting any pressure on myself I’ll just do my best as a well-informed FTM and take it from there.
  • Guuuyyyysssss.... now I'm considering the Ameda Mya or Spectra S9!  Although the S9 doesn't have great reviews on Amazon, so I'm leaning towards the Mya. The BabyBuddah looks intriguing too, but I haven't found it on any insurance-endorsed breast pump supplier sites (although I haven't looked too hard yet).

https://www.lucieslist.com/2019/10/21/wireless-breast-pumps/

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• @dunder_mifflin I’m doing the same as you, no need to drop that kind of cash if it’s not going to work out anyway! 

Anyone have experience with the Willow? It looks almost too good to be true, but I am a glutton for convenience and it turns out I can use HSA money towards it so I’m definitely going to splurge on it if it’s as great as it looks.
  • @dunder_miff@creativesoul63 Does your insurance cover a pump? If so I’d recommend getting one. When DS came home he was having issues latching and if it weren’t for my pump I don’t think our breastfeeding experience would have worked out. Of course if you are in that situation the hospital might be able to arrange for a rental but I detested the hospital pump and really liked my home one. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@stassischroeder I didn’t have the Mya but I had the Ameda Purely Yours and really liked it. I think Ameda is better than what a lot of people give it credit for! 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @varimama no my insurance does not, it’s not common north of the border. I get massages and dental and psychotherapy but not pumps 😂 do you think I’d do okay wit Just the Hakka if things work out and then I can run and buy the pump? I may rent one too for first month.
  • @dunder_mifflin it could work out fine. Although a hakaa really isn’t a pump exactly. It works best just drawing milk from the other breast while baby is nursing. if nursing goes well and you’re not working, you might not need a pump at all. And the hakaa might be all you need to get enough for the occasional bottle when you’re away from baby. But if you have latch issues or something or will be away from baby more than once in a while, you probably want to own a real pump. 
  • @dunder_mifflin you might want to just get yourself a manual pump! They’re like $20. Easy to use. They take a little bit of work but they’re efficient.
  • A question: I was happy with my Medela last time and I was planning on trying a Spectra this time, just to have another option. But my friend suggested just get another Medela so I can keep one at work and one at home and all the parts will be the same. That does sound pretty convenient! Thoughts?
  • @varimama I’m planning to still get a manual pump to start off with, and then get an electric if everything works out and I want to pump to prepare to go back to work/be at work. I think my insurance will cover at least part of the cost, I still need to call as the website has been less than helpful.
  • Lol @kantobean I’m clearly clueless because I thought a Hakka was a manual pump 😂 thank you! I’ll grab a handheld one
  • @kantobean was your old pump a Medela PISA? If so you shouldn’t use it again. They are open systems and not meant to be used for more than 1 kid. Bacteria and mold get into the systems and they are impossible to clean, you’d have to buy a whole new system. 

@creativesoul63 having a manual will probably work. I hope you can just figure out the insurance though bc it’s easier. Last time my OB gave me all the info I needed to order a pump sometime in my third trimester. It was super easy I just called a number let them know which one I wanted and it showed up at my door. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @creativesoul63, I agree with the advice here - I would recommend anyone having a pump on hand before you bring baby home.  As a FTM, I ran into this issue - I was planning to breastfeed, but had no pump or anything at home when we came home from the hospital (13 years ago, insurance didn't cover pumps so I hadn't bought one), and I ran into a 3am feeding where DD just screamed and refused to latch.  (she was over-hungry.)  I had formula on hand so I fed her that, but went out and got a pump shortly after.   with both my LOs, we were able to breastfeed, but those first couple of months were rocky - I relied a lot on my pump to keep up my supply, and to feed them pumped milk when they couldn't or refused to latch.  if your insurance covers it, I would highly recommend getting one beforehand.