February 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Blankets, Sleep Sacks, and Swaddles

jvk2012jvk2012 member
edited November 2019 in February 2020 Moms
This week’s product spotlight will be: Blankets, Sleep Sacks and Swaddles 

AAP guidelines say nothing in the crib (including blankets and stuffed animals) until 1 year of age. 
  • What did you use swaddle baby (if baby liked to be swaddled)?
  • Did you have a favorite blanket for tummy time or tucked into the car seat for cold weather?
  • What did you use to keep baby warm at night?

Re: Product Spotlight: Blankets, Sleep Sacks, and Swaddles

• Especially interested to see answers for the latter two. I put car seat buntings (like sleeping bags that go around the car seat?) on our registry because I figured that might be easiest but will also be getting some other blankets too.
  • kiwi2628kiwi2628 member
    edited November 2019
    I loved my love to dream swaddle first bed because after 3 weeks my very active kid kept breaking out of the normal swaddle to be hands up. But honestly- every kid is SO DIFFERENT about swaddles and what they prefer so don’t stress too much about it at this point. I do NOT recommend Aden and anais swaddles. Yes, they are soft and beautiful, but they are wayyyyy too big to swaddle. There is so much extra cloth. They ended up as extra burp rags or blankets to wrap around them in a car seat. 

For post swaddling the woolino sleep sack is the best. It’s more expensive but fleece is not breathable so babies can overheat more (SIDS risk) and other ones they grow out of. The woolino keeps them warm in the winter and cooler in the summer and fit my kid from 9 weeks till now- still fits him at almost 14 months and he’s a tall kid. So it is a long term investment. And they are so soft and lovely. 
  • Loading the player...
    • What did you use swaddle baby (if baby liked to be swaddled)? We used the Swaddle Me Velcro. They were awesome.
    • Did you have a favorite blanket for tummy time or tucked into the car seat for cold weather? We always have a blanket in the car. 
    • What did you use to keep baby warm at night? We keep our house pretty warm with a wood stove, so really we just had her in a onesie and the swaddle.
  • @TennisLove30 we are in for a major adjustment...we keep the house at 58 overnight in the winter :D I could definitely sleep a little warmer but we are usually OK with a down comforter and preheating the bed with the electric mattress pad (heavenly!) plus or minus socks. I told hubs the other day need to start training ourselves to sleep warmer. We did get a new generator this year as the heat is propane and if our power goes out we lose heat, lights, water, everything!
    • What did you use swaddle baby (if baby liked to be swaddled)? DD hated to be swaddled and was a June baby so I don’t have much experience. We liked the Aden and Anais blankets for when we did attempt to swaddle. We found the various “easy” swaddles hard to use but DD hated being swaddled so it didn’t matter. 
    • Did you have a favorite blanket for tummy time or tucked into the car seat for cold weather? The Aden and Anais blankets were awesome to have around to cover in stroller on walks on cool days or use around the house as needed. We also love this one for cooler weather: Plush Velboa Baby Blanket Arrows - Cloud Island - Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078L2YTLF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wtz0DbZVMHBME
    • What did you use to keep baby warm at night? She also hated sleep sacks, go figure. We layered onesies (short or long sleeve depending on season), socks (when cold), and cotton or fleece pajamas (seasonal). She just started sleeping with a blanket a few weeks ago at almost 2 1/2. 
  • @Swiftlet, I would freeze in your house, and you would roast in mine. Our main living area during winter stays at about 80, and our bedrooms are like 76-77. I just sleep with a comforter. My daughter likes to just sleep in her underwear with a blanket. 😂
  • @TennisLove30 my husband always mock-complains when he comes home and I’ve cranked the heat up to 65 lol! He really wants to convert our heat to wood burning stove but it’s expensive and the propane is soooo much easier!
    • What did you use swaddle baby (if baby liked to be swaddled)? Baby HATED to be swaddled. We tried with receiving blankets, those Aden & Anais fancy swaddle blankets and the velcro swaddle thing and she just cried until she could get her arms out. 
    • Did you have a favorite blanket for tummy time or tucked into the car seat for cold weather? We had a Koala Baby (BRU brand) blanket that was pink super soft and sherpa type material on one side and Bells still likes that one. She also got attached to a Burts' Bees cotton blanket. For tummy time we used our playmat or a handmade quilt that my cousin's aunt made for her.
    • What did you use to keep baby warm at night? We used sleep sacks rated age 0-9 months and long sleeve. When she was a newborn they were too big so she used gowns and playsuits. Babies shouldn't be overheated and we kept the room 68 degrees so she was fine.
    @jvk2012 so funny about your daughter just starting to use a blanket. I started putting a blanket on mine when she was about 18 months, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago (she will be 3 next month) that she actually stays under them at all. They are just so restless! 

@TennisLove30 My husband is a super cheap one getting him to agree to turn the temperature up in the winter is tough. Even keeping the house at 68/70 we are dealing with 400-600/mo heating bills in the winter - I hope you have a more economical heating system than us! 
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• This is a silly question, but how do you know if baby is too warm or cold in their sleep outfit? I’d imagine they get fussy either way but what do you use to guide you on how to dress them (overnight but also in general!)
  • @swiftlet, check the back of their neck. Their hands and feet will always be on the cool side so you can’t judge by that. Also, being fussy is a sign. 
    • What did you use swaddle baby (if baby liked to be swaddled)? DS didn't like it. We had 3 Burt's Bees knit swaddle blankets and he'd escape. He also had a couple zipper sack things but seemed to sleep better without them.
    • Did you have a favorite blanket for tummy time or tucked into the car seat for cold weather? I sewed a flannel and minky patchwork blanket that we used for everything when he was small. He also has a couple gifted fluffy blankets that he still takes in the car or for nap time when it's cold/snowy out.
    • What did you use to keep baby warm at night? He had a few zip-up footed PJs that got good use in the winter. Most of the time gowns or long sleeves and socks were enough though.
  • @leksiL, we have a wood stove. We’ve had it six years, and it’s more than paid off. My husband chops the wood himself, so besides his manual labor, we are heating our house for free. 
  • Halo fleece swaddle. The best. 
    Used the boppy for tummy time. 
    No special blanket for the car or stroller. Just whatever we had that was warm. 
  • I'm going to asterisk all of these by saying I live in a warm weather city so the coldest weather I have to deal with is around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, I had a June baby. 
  • Halo Sleep Sacks FTW! 
  • Also, I found this helpful with DD1. 

and if you didn't know what a TOG is, read more here: https://www.halosleep.com/tog-values-chart/
  • @TennisLove30 ahhh a wood stove - I grew up with them and miss them. The heat from a wood stove is x1000000 better than a radiator! My skin is so dry :( 

@zseirecarg - that chart is really confusing. We keep my daughter's room at about 68 degrees and she would have roasted in three layers. I guess every baby is different? And why does that baby only get socks if it is under 63 degrees? 
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksil and @craftywitch I was also thinking the same thing. In Alberta people would think you are crazy if you put your baby to sleep wearing that many layers when it was still 16° out. That is a really nice fall/spring day around here. 
  • I'll second that each baby is different and I wouldn't invest or register for a ton of one kind of swaddle. Maybe 1 of two different brands or something. I had an unusually poor sleeper and ended up owning almost every swaddle made (3 AM Amazon purchases, haha), before settling into what worked well (miracle blanket was our go-to for awhile.)  Also he didn't love being swaddled at the beginning but I'd been advised to keep with it and am SO glad we did because he ended up loving it, and it was such a signal that it was time for bed. So even if they seem unhappy about it after putting them in it once, perhaps consider trying a few more times. 
    • What did you use swaddle baby (if baby liked to be swaddled)? We started out using various swaddle blankets but I also got annoyed at all the extra fabric with the Muslin ones, so we switched to sleep sacks. Sleep sacks for life. Plus, DS didn’t like his arms swaddled in. 
    • Did you have a favorite blanket for tummy time or tucked into the car seat for cold weather? Aden & Anias for all the things. I also had some Hudson Baby muslin blankets that he still uses. If it was super cold outside, I’d use a thicker stroller blanket in the car seat or stroller. 
    • What did you use to keep baby warm at night?  Sleep sacks for life. (Or until he was about 2.5.) Now he sleeps in pajamas with a blanket that sometimes stays on him, sometimes doesn’t. Our house stays about 68-70 for his room year round. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • I used Halo sleep sacks with mine until they no longer made a large enough size for them. It was great at preventing them from climbing out of their crib. 

If you have velcro swaddles and baby doesn’t like being swaddled you can leave their arms out so it’s not a total waste.

I have no further input on blankets because I feel like a blanket is a blanket and don’t require anything fancy.
  • Any kind of Velcro swaddle! My kids could bust out of a regular swaddle in 2 seconds. 
    I didn’t like the halo or any sleeveless sleep sack. 
    We liked the love to dream swaddles and the zipadee Zip is my all time favorite. 
  • @ibabyloveb87 - man I feel like we have the same kid sometimes :smiley: last night I was watching t.v. downstairs and hear a giant BOMP and then crying. Rushing upstairs and Bells is climbing back in bed and goes back to sleep. My husband starts loudly saying why don't we have something to keep her from falling out? I gave him my phone and told him to order something on amazon if he is so concerned. My thought is she needs to learn not to toss and turn so much. He ordered an inflatable tube, so we will see how that goes.

So this morning I ask her if she hurt anything when she fell out of bed and she was like mommy I didn't fall out of bed. She sleeps so soundly that she completely forgot! 
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksiL they’re fairly close in age aren’t they? I feel like my DS might  be slightly older at 3? 

Does she sleep with a pillow? That helped DS stop tossing and turning so much. He would sleep in every direction and then suddenly he didn’t when I gave him a toddler pillow. 
  • @ibabyloveb87 - it looks like your son is about 2 mos older than Bells, she is a December baby and will be 3. She has about ten throw pillows, full adult pillow and toddler pillow. Maybe I should take some of them away :blush:
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksiL well there you go. There’s no room for her! 😂😂 He has his pillow and about 7 “friends” 
  • @leksiL my three year old has fallen out of bed a few times (toddler bed so like a foot off the ground) and never remembers and once he just kept sleeping on the body pillow we keep on the floor for if he does fall out. 
    @ibabyloveb87 giving him a pillow helped keep him from moving around so much too
  • Learned yesterday at my child care class that you are not supposed to swaddle babies for sleeping. Which I thought was OK until they they could roll? 
  • @Swiftlet that's weird... Unless research has changed in the last 2 years, I've never heard of that! We swaddled our first until she was about to roll over...I can't imagine trying to get the next one to sleep without a swaddle! The newborns have such a strong startle reflex and that wakes them :/ 
  • @ibabyloveb87 - update: the inflatable twin bumper we got is working like a charm!
    Married Jan 2008