June 2020 Moms
Options

November Teacher Check-In

Hey Ladies! There's a lot of Teacher Mamas on here now and I thought it might be nice to have a check-in unique to us. It's a totally different profession in terms of activity, stress, bathroom breaks, and hiding the pregnancy than most so I know I could use some ladies to swap stories with. On my last BMB our teacher check-in usually ran something like this. Feel free to answer or all or only a few depending on time and what applies to you:

How far along are you? 
What do you teach?
How are you feeling? 
Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students?
Any awkward conversations with students yet? 
Are you getting in enough pee breaks?
Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year? 

Married: 12/19/15         

BFP: 9/4/17             
EDD: 5/16/18
DD born 5/10/18
Postpartum Complications

BFP: 10/1/19
EDD: 6/12/20

Re: November Teacher Check-In

• Options
    Hey @diagonalley , @baybeesunflower , and @bluehydrangea17 I got us started! Any other teachers feel free to join too :)

How far along are you? 9+5

What do you teach? Middle School Language Arts (there's a few of us!)

How are you feeling? Some days are better than others. Really terrible nausea off and on and exhausted. I've been hiding behind the veil of constant snacking when possible and not going into the teachers' lounge because of the microwave smell :p

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? I told two teachers on my team to help cover some bathroom breaks. One of them just had her baby today actually and I'm going to miss her support (so excited for her though-definitely started crying in front of the students when I got the text). I also told my principal and vice-principal at 8 weeks. I'm high risk so I wanted them to know in case something happens as I'd have to be gone for more than a few days for monitoring/something happens at school to tell whoever shows up to help. They're both really awesome and already got baby a pair of pjs :) 

Any awkward conversations with students yet? They pointed out my seabands and asked me what they were. I'm a terrible liar so I blundered through that. Also had to explain the basics of labor this morning when they wanted to know why the other teacher had her baby so fast (she was breech and baby wouldn't turn so had a c-section). Then they wanted to know how long I was at the hospital before I had DD (45 hours) and why. I made them stop there. I figured that was enough personal information. Go ask your moms 13 year olds. They obviously made you and you're here soooo... 

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Woof. I've been having trouble keeping down water so this hasn't been too much of a problem yet. I keep showing up to my ultrasounds so crazy full they end up going with a transvaginal and having me empty fully. Teacher bladders are a real thing. 

Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year? All my students came in acting like dinosaurs one day for their English core. They're pretty great this year and quite distracting for the nausea. 

DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

• Options
    I love this idea!

How far along are you? 9 weeks

What do you teach? Middle school English 

How are you feeling? Meh, nauseous every time I get hungry and sort of foggy from
    being tired I guess?

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? I have three close friends at work who know, but that’s it’s till Christmas. 

Any awkward conversations with students yet? Nope, we’ll see how long that lasts! 

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Yes! Moving from my schedule last year to this year has been way helpful. My lunch is an hour earlier and there’s a bathroom in the middle lounge as opposed to not having a lounge at all last year. And I have an hour planning instead of 30 minutes. 

Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year? Hmmm...I don’t think I’ve had a really good one yet. There’s been a few times where my comeback to the kids smart ass remarks have definitely made them blush. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    JilliantsJilliants member
    edited November 2019
    @alli392 The microwave smell is definitely a struggle! 
  • Options
    Love all the middle school teachers here!!! I taught 7th and 8th grade math for 8 years before having my son and becoming a SAHM! Someday if I ever go back to teaching, it would definitely be middle school... It's such a fun age!! 

It is so fun once you are able to tell them about baby. My kids were so excited and they threw me the sweetest surprise shower before I left.  

Hope you ladies are all hanging in there! :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    School psychologist here.  I work with little ones now, but my favorite age I have worked with was middle school.  Probably the hardest age, but never a dull moment!

And just wanted to say you're awesome to all the teachers that have to pretend that theyre not feeling miserable all day.  I get to disappear into my office.  I cant imagine how tough that is. 
  • Options
    How far along are you?  
    10+4

What do you teach?  
    Reading support, grades K-3

How are you feeling? 
    Fairly decent. Moments of nausea and today I laid down in the nurse’s office for a few minutes because I was pretty dizzy. 

I had to tell my principal because we did IVF and I had to leave for a few minutes on the day of our blood draw, and again 2 days later to confirm the pregnancy.  And I’ve had frequent ultrasounds since then. I also told one other co-worker who had been through the IVF process herself. Planing to announce to staff at 12 weeks and students will find out eventually.

Are you getting in enough pee breaks?
    I have a random 5-minute window in the morning, a 30-minute lunch, and a 10-minute break between groups in the afternoon. And it’s been perfect so far! 

That’s a tough one - there are so many funny moments each day! Today I was working with first graders on stretching phonemes and we were working on hearing 4 sounds. I gave the word “dump” and one kid said, “Like a poop? Like taking a dump?” Which of course caused a chain reaction. 
  • Options
    I love this!  Great idea for our unusual experiences 😂

How far along are you?  10+1

What do you teach?  Assistant teaching the middle school choirs right now!  College the last few years. And I’ve loved being with the kids more than I expected!

How are you feeling?  I was pretty nauseous and tired til week 9 ish now I’ve been doing great!!

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students?  If I start feeling sick again I will tell people, but it’s been a secret so far!! And I probably won’t tell the students til after Christmas 

Any awkward conversations with students yet? ...yes, but not about pregnancy. 😂 I wear big sweaters and nothing has been too obvious yet. 

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? What’s a ‘pee break?’ Jk.  Real answer is I have a bladder of steel and I have gotten away - so far - with going before class, during prep, and after school. I also try to schedule my drinking to support my breaks. 

Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year?  Hmm...  one day a kid who is usually a clown came in with a very serious face (7th grade) which he kept up for the first part of class when another kid told him to smile, to which kid 1 responded ‘I don’t like to smile, it makes me feel weak.’ 
  • Options
    How far along are you? 8 weeks and 1 day!
    What do you teach? 2nd grade
    How are you feeling? Overall great, bloated and definitely a little more emotional but I can’t complain too much
    Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? I told my in class resource teacher because she has seen me run o of the room on a few occasions and my school nurse. I am not sure when to announce to the staff and I am SO nervous to tell my principal. It is somewhat frowned upon (as wrong as it is). 
    Any awkward conversations with students yet? None so far thankfully
    Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Yes, my in class resource teacher is great 
    Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year?  Today actually a little boy was telling me all of his family business and how his mom caught his dad cheating this summer. We had to talk about how mommy and daddy PROBABLY don’t want you telling the whole class that 😂
  • Options
    How far along are you? 10+5

What do you teach? 7th grade ELA and science

How are you feeling? Today I felt normal, it's been off and on. A couple of weeks ago the nausea was no joke. I thought teaching was tiring before being pregnant, I had no idea what tired was! 

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? Pretty much all my co-workers already know. Im planning on telling my kids right after winter break. 

Any awkward conversations with students yet? I left for a half day for my first dr. Apt. A kid asked me why I was leaving and another kid totally joking said "she's pregnant!" This was at like 4 weeks, and he had NO idea. I just laughed it off, it was so random! The kid is psychic! 

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? It hasn't been a problem so far, that tells me that I should probably be drinking more water. 

Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year? My eye was twitching one day last week. I was teasing two kids about how it was because they stress me out too much. Later that day I was waiting for everyone's attention and one of the boys stands up and tells the class to sit down and be quiet because they are all making my eye twitch. So now that's their code word to settle down.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for starting this! 
    How far along are you? 8 weeks today

What do you teach? Middle School Special Education (ELA and Math) 

How are you feeling? Exhausted and my mood is all over the place. Have to take lots of deep breaths  :D Especially during my 8th grade group. 

Who else at school knows? No one yet. I am trying to keep it a secret for a while longer. 

Any awkward conversations with students? None yet regarding the pregnancy but they are in middle school so plenty of other awkward conversations. 

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? This was difficult before I was pregnant. I am not a fan of my new schedule this year. Two days a week I have students straight from 9 AM until 1 PM. I have a pact with the teacher next door that we will keep an eye on each others’ students whenever we need to go. 
     What’s your funniest teaching moment this year? We were reading The Outsiders and one of my students happened to say the exact line that was on the next page. We all started laughing cause it just fit so well with the situation in the book.

• Options
    How far along are you?  11 + 1

What do you teach? 7th grade ELA

How are you feeling? I'm ok.  Yesterday I was SO TIRED during the last period of the day.  I kept yawning at kids and felt awful about that.

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students?  A lot of my coworkers that I have friendships with know.  After my 12 week appointment next week I'll let it be public knowledge since someone already asked another teacher if I was pregnant because my belly was getting round.

Any awkward conversations with students yet?  Every day.  They're 12  :D

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Yup! I probably don't drink enough (OK I KNOW I don't drink enough) but there is a bathroom pretty close to my room that I can run between classes if needed.

Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year?  So far this year? Hm...I can't think off the top of my head, but my kids are fun and funny in general.  Every day has something to offer!

Those of you also teaching middle school ELA - what are you currently teaching?  We are about to dive in to prepositions and A Christmas Carol!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    How far along are you? 12 today. (I know that technically puts me end of May, but now that I've already gotten to know so many of you, I dont want to leave) 

What do you teach? High school physics and engineering at an all-boys school

How are you feeling? Pretty good. If I dont eat in the morning I feel sick, but other than that feeling pumped.

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? I told my close friends a while ago, especially because they needed to cover me a few times. I told my headmaster and HR last week so that they would know first. I'll tell admin next after my ultrasound, assuming all is well. I hope to announce it to the students during my chapel talk between November and December break.

Any awkward conversations with students yet? No. I've walked out of class a few time to vomit and one student replied "if you get me sick....."

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Yes. Luckily I can leave me class whenever I need to. The bathroom is right across the hall and we have passing periods. 

Tuesday may have been that moment. The students have to wear nice pants, dress shoes, button down shirt, blazer and tie every day. I had a student show up in a tshirt with a tie and sneakers. When he tried to explain it to me, he said he looked in the mirror that morning and thought he looked too good to put on a shirt, spent too much time flexing, then was late to class so just threw on a tshirt. The best part of the story was him showing me his poses. 
  • Options
    So many ELA teachers! @diagonalley I cut Christmas Carol this year and I'm so excited about it. I really hated teaching Dickens. We got copies of House Arrest instead and I'm pumped. We're just starting diagramming. I'm not a super old school grammar person but they really do learn it when you break it down to the basics. As annoying as it is to teach and learn. 

@bluehydrangea17 I love the Outsiders! I'm always so disappointed that I don't get to teach it. But I do get The Giver which we're just finishing up.

DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

• Options
    @alli392  Ahhh I love A Christmas Carol.  I really enjoy what we do with it and I'm looking forward to trying a socratic seminar with my advanced kids this year.  

I am not into diagramming at all.  I just attended a training this week that essentially talked about how there is no research to support identifying parts of speech and that kids learn better when asked to write sentences using the skill(s) that you are focusing on (not saying you shouldn't identify parts of speech, too, but the bigger focus should be on using the parts of speech).  It has really shifted how I taught this year (I saw the same speaker back in the spring) and I do feel that my kids are becoming better writers.  I incorporate a lot of my sentence writing with the stories we are reading as well, since we are a combined class for reading and writing.  It seems to be the easiest way (for me) to try and get as much covered as possible when I am limited to 50 minutes per day.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @alli392My students really enjoyed The Outsiders. We don’t always do the 8th grade curriculum novels because they are special education and have a lower reading level but I read them out loud when I can. They love it. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @diagonalley My 7th grade group just finished a novel called Save Me a Seat and they are working on projects for it that identify theme. My 8th grade group just finished reading The Outsiders today and we will be doing expository writing related to the novel next. I also teach math but I was an ELA major so I definitely have a preference. 

I love your SN, by the way. I am a huge Harry Potter fan! 
  • Options
    We just finished reading The Outsiders and it was a big hit. It’s my first year in middle, I was in 4th for five years and 5th for the last three years. We’re going to start a comparison of versions of the Christmas Carol that’s in our basal after Thanksgiving. I’m looking forward to it! 
  • Options
    Anyone have any clever ways to announce to teachers/students? Everyone at my school brings in cookies when they tell people they’re pregnant but anther teacher already announced her June pregnancy like that and now I feel pressure. I would really prefer not to do anything formal but it’s a bit of expectation from administration 

DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

• Options
    How far along are you? 7+3

What do you teach? 4th grade

How are you feeling? Exhausted, foggy and all over the place, nauseous 

Who else at school knows yet?
    My nurse,  secretary and principal because I have some things that come up with my pregnancies and I know I will have a lot of appointments 
    A teacher on my team and my classroom aid

When do you plan to tell coworkers and students?
    Before Christmas break

Any awkward conversations with students yet? Not yet

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Yes!

I cant think of one right now but my 4th graders make me laugh on the daily!
  • Options
    I know I'm late to the party, but I'm here! Such a great idea!

How far along are you? 9 weeks today!

What do you teach? I teach 7th grade ELA and also serve as an instructional coach at our school (my saving grace this year).

How are you feeling? Honestly, I'm feeling awful. I'm literally nauseated all day long and am lucky when I only have to vomit once during the school day. Anyone else struggling with old/gross bathroom options to get sick in? Or struggling not to announce it to the entire school when you get physically ill?

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? The instructional coach who shares my office knows; I couldn't hide my constant sickness from her and she noticed the bathroom runs. Good thing, though, because she also covers my class when I get sick while teaching! One other coworker knows because we've both been trying since a year ago June and have walked the pain of infertility together. It was difficult sharing the news with her but she deserved to hear early. Other than that, I plan on telling work friends before break and students upon my return. 

Any awkward conversations with students yet? Not since I found out I was pregnant. Honestly, though, the first week of school some of my students were whispering about me being pregnant because I carry a little weight in my tummy. Had to talk with them about that. Since then, the kids have been obsessed with the fact that I'm not a mom but I just "ooze momness."

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? The perk of my different position is that I have more flexibility for bathroom breaks. If I was still on last year's schedule, the school would know I was pregnant. 

Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year? Honestly, every day includes so much laughter with my students that I just can't think of one at the moment. Could also be attributed to the fact that it's early on a Sunday morning!
  • Options

How far along are you? 11 weeks 3 days 

What do you teach? 7th grade science 

How are you feeling? Tired and achy but not too bad. 

Any awkward conversations with students yet?  My 1st period Para because she asked when we were having more kids and I'm a terrible liar. But it's been helpful because she's able to give me pee breaks. 

My AP because we taught together at my old school and she's my friend. I just felt better about her knowing because if something happened she would know why. 

2 of my teaching buddies. One teaches the same thing as me and shes right next door so if I need a potty break I can pop the door open which is nice!

I still need to tell the principal but our AP was like he probably wont even notice so wait as long as you want. 

My students haven't questioned yet but they may start soon. I needed to remind them about their bags under the table because I almost tripped twice this week. 

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Sort of. I'm not drinking enough water but when I do I need to go a ton. But I definitely am getting them when I need them. 

Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year? Um, a student gave me something I'm allergic to Friday. It was kind if hilarious. He was so worried he was going to kill me. He felt awful. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    How far along are you? 11weeks 

What do you teach? 6th and 7th grade reading

How are you feeling? I have HG. Taking Promethazine helps for the most part but I am still nauseous all the time. I have also been super emotional lately. 

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? My principal knows. I also told a few of my best friends. This has been helpful when I get sick at school. I just send a quick text and someone is there to watch my class. Some people have asked because I have taken a lot of time off. I just lie. 

Any awkward conversations with students yet? Some students asked me if I was pregnant. I had to take 2 weeks off due to severe vomiting and I guess a sub told them I was probably pregnant (of course I was furious. I have never even met this person!) I just told them I was not and I had a stomach bug. They believed it. One kid this week asked why I have gotten fat. I plan on telling them after Thanksgiving. That is when I plan on telling my family. 

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Yes! I have a hard time staying hydrated so this has not been an issue yet. 

Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year? Nothing I can pinpoint but, the kids crack me up frequently. 
  • Options
    Hey ladies. I teach 7th grade English. This year, we have "the worst class of kids in decades." All the behaviors have made my nausea so much more difficult to cope with. It's exhausting. 

I have been so nauseous, vomiting every morning and wishing I could vomit to feel better the rest of each day. I definitely browsed this list hoping I wasn't in the minority. I see a few of you have been physically sick, too. It's the worst. I suffer from HG, and it's no joke! This is my third pregnancy and you'd think I'd be used to it. I'm 9 weeks along, and I feel like the end is so far away. Each day feels like a month. Once 14 weeks comes along, I tend to forget what it ever felt like to be sick. We'll get there. 

I have told a couple coworkers that I eat lunch with, since I'm usually curled up in a ball by that point in the day.

@dmunch264 that sounds awful! I was very sick with prior pregnancies - the non-stop vomiting. 6 day trips to the hospital for insane amounts of fluids. I think I'm getting better at keeping it under control. Keep eating, despite the nausea - and go to any length for the perfect drink that you will actually drink. If water doesn't do the trick, I get a smoothie or something I can tolerate and keep sipping all day! And the suppositories for Promethazine work much better than any pill they've asked me to swallow. They seem to take effect much faster and it takes away the chance of vomiting it up. 

• Options
    How far along are you? Just 8 weeks
    What do you teach? MS electives 
    How are you feeling? Mostly ok, just nausea and desperate need for more sleep, but it could also be the time of year (Thanx break, anyone?)
    Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? My boss knows bc I’ve been late every morning for the last few weeks and I didn’t want anyone to get sassy about it, but nobody else. Had a mmc before and hesitant to share now, so probably not until after the new year starts.
    Any awkward conversations with students yet? One kid, before I even had my first appointment, out of the blue, told me I had to name my kid after her, not another kid in class (it was crazy, I hadn’t said anything and she had no reason to think I was pregnant, but I was literally just thinking about my upcoming appointment. She’s a mind reader!)
    Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Enough, but my teacher bladder is still holding strong I guess
    Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year? Today’s was when a kid saw a biography of Ghandi sitting on the book shelf and commented on how good his 6 pack looked. She still thought he was a little too skinny to be really attractive though! Middle schoolers say the craziest things!
  • Options
    I ended up nonchalantly telling my students today.  I told my bosses yesterday and it just kind of came up when they were asking about what I had on my wrist (seaband) so I figured, why not?  They're going to notice something is up real soon, lol.  It spread like wild fire.  They are all so cute and excited about it though, so that was fun.  I had kids high fiving me saying, "good job!" hahaha  They want to have a reveal party and vote on if it's a boy or a girl and then help name the baby...not sure about the naming part, lol.  They were already offering some doozies.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @diagonalley I’m so glad it went well! And that their curiosity about the seabands lasted this long-mine asked ages ago. I’m curious to hear some of their name suggestions :)

Still holding out on telling people but I think I’ll tell my team next week. Baby may only be the size of a lime but there’s already a sweet little bump poking out there and they’re bound to notice. Hopefully I can keep it under wraps for a little longer from the kids and other teachers though!

DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

• Options
    @alli392 one of my girls kept saying something about names that meant moon or other celestial type things and no. Just no. Lol.

I woke up from a nap to go eat dinner and my 5 year old declared he wanted a baby sister in my belly named Sophia and she should have dark eyes and blonde hair and it was totally out of nowhere. So...I sat down and recorded a video and told my boys that I'm pregnant, too. My oldest had THE BIGGEST grin on his face and it was just the best.

This is, hands down, the earliest I've ever let it be public (12 +2) with my first I was almost 18 weeks and with my 2nd I think I was about 16.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I must admit, I'm so envious of some of you! Fortunately, my principal is amazing. I've been sick all afternoon (day, but hid it because of active teaching through sixth period and a coworker who has made the secret possible to keep), so he let me sneak out before last period since I don't teach. It's easier to be sick into my own toilet than those of an underrenovated 100+ year old building... I'm just hoping this part is all done by the end of winter break...
  • Options
    Late to the party but saying hi anyway! 

How far along are you? - 13 weeks!  

What do you teach? - Elementary music (pre-K-2)

How are you feeling? - tired! So tired! And always vaguely nauseous but grateful it’s never worse then just nausea. 

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? - Haven’t said anything at work yet! Will probably tell my principal this week - having made it through the first tri I feel more confident now. Students? Haven’t thought about it but it’ll probably come up at the winter concert so everyone will find out at once probably! 

Any awkward conversations with students? Not yet! 
    Are you getting in enough pee breaks? The bathroom is right across the hall!! So I can manage in the passing time between classes if I need it! 
    Weekly Question: What's your funniest teaching moment so far this year? Hmm nothing stands out.  They’re just always funny and weird honestly!!