February 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: The Stuff You Don't Need!

This week’s product spotlight will be: The Stuff You Don't Need
  • What stuff did you get for baby that you never ended up using?
  • What did you not get and you're glad you didn't end up getting it?
  • Anything you used the first time but don't plan to use this time around?

Re: Product Spotlight: The Stuff You Don't Need!

• What stuff did you get for baby that you never ended up using? Boppy (too thick for my short torso, used flat pillows instead). Bassinet (used the pack n play instead).

• Anything you used the first time but don't plan to use this time around? I don’t think so.
    • What stuff did you get for baby that you never ended up using? A newborn bathtub chair for her to lay on. It’s much easier to just lay baby on a towel. 
    • What did you not get and you're glad you didn't end up getting it? A bunch of new bottles for baby #2. She refused to take a bottle, no matter what type I tried. 
    • Anything you used the first time but don't plan to use this time around? Velcro bibs. They’re the worst. They get caught on things and destroy them in the wash and they scratch baby’s neck. Snap bibs are the way to go.
  • Loading the player...
  • Finally the thread I've been waiting for haha
    • What stuff did you get for baby that you never ended up using? A chair that bounces and lights up, a push walker, bumbo chair, silicone baby bowl/tray, silicone teething necklace (teething jewelry for mama)
    • What did you not get and you're glad you didn't end up getting it? A Mamaroo, a swing, a vibrating chair, pack n play, rock n play, merlin sleep suit, faucet cover, sink bathing flower/ countertop tub, a baby monitor, crib decor/bumpers/skirt, an infant carseat/ infant carseat system, a regular walking stroller, baby carrier suck pads, diaper rash creams, formula, premade baby food, expensive big bibs with the pockets
    • Anything you used the first time but don't plan to use this time around? Nursery glider chair, cheap Bjorn carrier, baby bathtub prop, baby body/hair wash, baby-specific toys
  •  I will say a bunch of these things on my and others lists may be dependent on you, your lifestyle, where you live and what you like to do with babies. So please take all that in to account. 
    • What stuff did you get for baby that you never ended up using? Not much TBH. I spent hours upon hours upon hours online researching what gets used the most. And obviously everyone is different and needs/wants are different based on where you live and what you do and even between different babies (you may have the sit back and watch the world baby or you may have the baby that needs to be on the move and active), but in general I am having trouble thinking of a thing we actually got and didn't use. There is a lot of 'first time moms absolutely need this!' stuff that I never got because I decided I didn't need it so I think that contributes to this. 
    • What did you not get and you're glad you didn't end up getting it? Bumpo chair or any sitting up type chair. Rock n play. Pack n play. Faucet cover. Teething things. Toys for babies less than 9 months old (liek I got a very few key pieces to keep him a bit distracted while I pumped, but MINIMAL. I mean like 3 small things that are mostly chew toys anyway). Cute baby clothes. Baby food maker- you just steam stuff and either mash it up with a fork or do BLW. Its so easy. Or you can also just use a normal blender. Bumpers/skirts/anything that they sell even though they arent approved or recommended for safe sleep. 

• Anything you used the first time but don't plan to use this time around? Nope. I used all of what I got. Maybe I didn't use it for months on end because babies, especially the first 6 months, grow and change in their wants and needs SO MUCH, but I used my swing. I used my baby carrier (until my kid decided he haaaaaated it after 3 months and has never been happy in it again- but maybe #2 will like it!). I used my baby bath because it was easier on my back. I used my bassinet- but I bought one thats meant for travel and turns into a pack and play after the bassinet so I still use it for travel. I used my bottles. I used pacis for the first 3 months. Yea. So much research, but it paid off.
  • I used most everything we had. The only thing that comes to mind was the boppy lounge pillow and that was only because DS didn’t like it.

I won’t be using my pump this time because I’m not BF! 😄
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Like @kiwi2628 said, you have to take into account your own personal lifestyles when thinking about these things.  Some of the things other people mentioned not needing were crucial for us.

What stuff did you get for baby that you never ended up using?
    We used the Bumbo seat a few times but not really.  We also had the tray for it and some suction cup toys but we never used those.  The Boppy pillow and Boppy lounger were hand me downs so we used them a few times but we could have lived without them.

What did you not get and you're glad you didn't end up getting it?
    Wipe warmer, baby formula mixer, crib mobile, crib bumpers (not safe for sleep, even the mesh ones)

Anything you used the first time but don't plan to use this time around?
    Probably won't use hooded baby towels, we found them too thin and not easy to wrap baby in so we just used regular towels.
    • What stuff did you get for baby that you never ended up using? We used majority of the stuff we got. Most things are going to be kid dependent and your lifestyle and what you have space for.  My first wasn’t big on the baby carrier but my second loved it. I didn’t like the boppy for nursing but it came in handy for when our grandparents and Ds1 held the baby so it still got used. 
    • Just remembered that I don’t like the halo sleep sacks or any that their arms and hands aren’t covered. Once my kids could break out of a Velcro swaddle we switched to the zip a dee.

• What did you not get and you're glad you didn't end up getting it? bumbo seat, wipe warmer, bassinet- we just used the pack n play. 
    • What stuff did you get for baby that you never ended up using? - baby swing, bassinet, bumbo,  silicone bowl/placemat thing (did not fit in high chair)
    • What did you not get and you're glad you didn't end up getting it? - wipe warmers, rock n play (even though EVERYONE told me to get one)
    • Anything you used the first time but don't plan to use this time around?
    @daffodil_shoe so funny, I basically lived with the Boppy on top of me for the first three months!
    @doodleoodle - I never had a problem with velcro bibs, wouldn't the snaps be a pain?
    @ibabyloveb87 - I am so jealous you aren't getting a pump! I love BF but pumping is meh.
    @clee5711 - DD1 was one of those wierd babies who HATED being swaddled, so we used the halo sleep sacks exclusively. It took her a little longer to learn to sleep but I was happy that I didn't have to go through the transition of swaddle to zipadee to the magic sleep suit thing. I wonder if this baby will be different? I can't wait to find out :)
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• @leksiL there’s only one snap so it’s not annoying. I can’t believe you haven’t had issues with velcro. 

Both of my babies hated being swaddled, too. I’m planning to “swaddle train” this baby so that I can get some sleep this time around.
  • I bought burp cloths for DD#1 and I definitely won't be doing that this time around. I was "blessed" with a child who would spit up ALL THE TIME and burp cloths (although cute) were much more expensive and far less effective than having hand towels or kitchen towels. 

@doodleoodle @leksiL I had both velcro bibs and snap bibs. The velcro ones were cheaper which allowed me to have more of them. I never had an issue with the velcro bibs scratching baby, BUT I will second the issues with washing them. I had to take extra care to wash them fully attached and hang them dry (which is kind of annoying when you're washing them so often.) The care of the snaps was much easier. 

Once baby started eating, silicone bibs were the way to go!!! 

• I haven’t had issues with Velcro bubbs scratching either. Just that they don’t stay together as well. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • No scratching issues with the Velcro bibs but by the end of kid two using them most no longer stay together. Love the silicone bibs once they start food. 
    I was gifted a few Aden and anais and burts bees burp cloths and they are nice and think so actually did a good job with spit up. I really love the Aden and Anais burp rags that have the snap to become a big bib. 
  • @clee5711 - someone gifted me a few of these at my shower

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-Flatfold-Birdseye-Reusable-Cloth-Diaper-10pk/455345841?athcpid=455345841&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS004&athguid=ec27980d-ba6-16e64dc26de4af&athancid=null&athena=true

I know it says cloth diapers but they make the most amazing burp cloths. We had them EVERYWHERE and totally needed them everywhere during the newborn stage so I was so happy to have a few.
    Married Jan 2008 

• @doodleoodle - if you swaddle train the baby won't you have to untrain it again when it learns to roll? I get your point though I would love it if baby slept for longer stretches the first month. My difficulty was getting her to sleep during the witching hour time. I'm hoping having a better rocking chair helps.
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksiL someone recommended those exact cloth diapers to use as burp cloths! I have them on my registry under "feeding" and I wonder if people are like "uh, are you confused Brooke?" LOL.
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's