July 2020 Moms

Pregnancy Announcements

*copied from June BMB*

How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant?  
How did you tell your partner?
Who will you tell next?
Why are you waiting (or not waiting) to tell?
How and when are you telling those you work with?
Are you making a social media announcement?

We all have different ideas.  There is not right and wrong, there is only what is right for you and your partner.  Share your plans here.  Share the reactions (good and bad) that you get here. 

Re: Pregnancy Announcements

• k_shauntek_shaunte member
    edited November 2019
    So far we've only told people close to us. But I don't plan on telling anyone at work. Even when I obviously start to show. If some asks me "is there something you need to tell me?" I'm going to say not at all! 😁😎 
    I work in construction (way more men than women) the men might question it but never ask lol. The other handful of women will hound me 🙃
  • Loading the player...
  • Only mh and my previous birth month group (subset got fairly close and check in regularly) know. Not sure about when to tell family; kind of want to max it past the hump so to speak. Work will have to see how it goes; if I’m not feeling well and or showing really early I’ll probably say something sooner. Although we work remote a lot now so maybe it won’t even matter! 
  • How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant? So I told two girlfriends (one local one from my old BMB basically the second the second line appeared, they’d been chart stalking my late period),  After I told DH I told about 4 more close irl girlfriends and my entire previous BMB. They’re the people I’d lean on for support no matter what.

How did you tell your partner? I’d planned on waiting with DH because everyone in my house is sick and I wanted him to be excited and not like “omg we’re gonna have 4 flu-y kids one day.” But I have no self control so basically waited an hour and had to tell him. Nothing fun this time since baby is a bit of a (happy!) surprise, I just showed him my chart  and was like “this is when Ava said we were pregnant, this is when my period was supposed to come, this is where we are now. Do you understand what I’m saying?” And then I whipped out the positive test. He handled it GREAT, overwhelmed, but smiley.

Who will you tell next? Next up will be family, I’m thinking around Christmas; I’ll probably get the early blood test so I imagine we’ll know sex by then too.

Why are you waiting (or not waiting) to tell? I like to wait past the first heartbeat ultrasound to really start sharing news, but I am telling the people who’s love/support I’d want regardless. 

How and when are you telling those you work with? I’m. SAHM soooo 😂 we’ll tell the boys probably when we tell our families; they can’t keep a secret 

Are you making a social media announcement? I will around 20 weeks ish. I never made one for DS1, but enjoyed them for my other two.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant?    I'm going to tell my mom Thanksgiving because I'll see her in person and it's her birthday. We'll tell H's parents shortly after and then probably his siblings on our family gift exchange later in December.

How did you tell your partner?  Awkwardly! I had taken a test earlier and he knew my period was supposed to start that day and then as I was trying to bring it up in conversation he was like "oh by the way did you.." and I was like NOPE/YEP.

Who will you tell next? My mom

Why are you waiting (or not waiting) to tell? I'll be a little over 7 weeks when we tell my mom/in-laws so that feels like a good time, everyone else will get to know when it comes up probably.

How and when are you telling those you work with? No idea, my job is contracted and part time and I don't work summers anyone so there's no real like OMG this is going to be awkward but I'm a private person so it may not come up until I'm quite rotund.

Are you making a social media announcement? Unlikely. No offense to those that do but I'll probably refrain unless I take very late maternity photos and then will be like...surprise, had a large lunch!  :D 
  • edited November 2019
    I was spotting for five days before AF was supposed to start. So I had told DH I was starting my period (my periods usually start with spotting, although it was starting early). We were both disappointed but it was only month #4 of trying so whatever. Then my spotting got lighter over the five days instead of heavier so I was very suspicious when the day AF was supposed to hit but didn't. However, I was stuck home alone with no electricity and no way to get to a pharmacy because roads were closed due to flooding. DH called to say he couldn't get home and was sleeping on a friend's couch. The next morning when he got home I was like, "remember I told you I was starting my period?  Well...."  We drove to CVS together and I showed him the BFP right away!

We haven't told anyone yet although I think my in-laws suspect since I didn't drink this past weekend when they visited.  I'm going to tell my mom in the next few weeks and then his parents at Thanksgiving. We are looking forward to telling his 100 year old grandmother. After Thanksgiving I will probably tell a few close friends.  I'll tell my department at work (6 ladies) in December but wait until January to tell the rest of the staff. I was thinking of making a big New Years Day announcement, I'll be 12.5 weeks at that point. 
  • My wife asked eventually on our recent FET and I was on the 2nd Beta by then.  Nothing special about how I told.
    I'm debating Christmas for my family.  I had a recent loss and so I'm more hesitant than I was.  We might tell our best friends and swear them to silence at Thanksgiving.  Will depend on 2nd ultrasound.  I'll do some sort of Christmas themed present for my Mom and let the rest figure it out. I lied at my brother's birthday celebration in another state about alcohol and said I was taking medication that mixed poorly.

I'm not sure I'll tell at work unless it becomes obvious until February.  Feels like too many risk factors for loss and I don't want to have to explain.

• How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant?  This is our second so we will most likely just call/facetime our families and send a cute pic of DS with a big brother t-shirt. We don't live close to immediate family.

How did you tell your partner? I had been feeling pregnant for a few days and waited to test when I knew I would get at least a faint line. Tested on a Friday night with a cheapie strip, then again in the morning with FRER and immediately got a dark line. We are moving in the next few weeks, and I kept making comments about a second kid and how we need a place with at least 3BR. He didn't really pick up on it- he's not always great with subtlety 😂.  I showed him my positive tests later that evening. 

Who will you tell next? some close friends and our church family.

Why are you waiting (or not waiting) to tell? We want to wait obviously until the pregnancy is further along, but I know it will be harder to hide this time since I may show earlier. 

How and when are you telling those you work with? I am SAHM so I dont have to worry about that this time around, but DH is starting a new job. So, I'm not quite sure how he will broach the subject with his new employer about needing time off in 8 months.

Are you making a social media announcement? Most likely we will to let out of town friends and family know. I have already to my O18 BMB group know- there are a few of us now who are expecting.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant?  I think we will tell family around Christmas and then be public after that.  I will probably get DS a Promoted to Big Brother t-shirt to announce at the holidays. 

How did you tell your partner? My FET (frozen embryo transfer) was last week so it wasn't a surprise but I told him I was testing a couple of days ago and then showed him the positive.  He's a numbers guys so the real positive for him will be after the blood test. 

Who will you tell next? Family.  
    Why are you waiting (or not waiting) to tell? When I was pregnant with DS everyone knew I was trying so people knew right away when I was pregnant.  I want to wait this time and keep it to just us for a little bit.  
    How and when are you telling those you work with? I work from home so this isn't a big deal.  I will tell the woman I work closely with right after Christmas.
    Are you making a social media announcement? Maybe.  It's not a priority for me. 
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @crystalmir91385 What do you plan on doing for time off after delivery? Also, do you use a sub on appointment days? I *just* started doing in home daycare 2 weeks ago, so I'd love to hear your plans!
  • 2 of my kids are teacher kids, and another's parents work at the university, so they all will be taking part, or all of the summer off.
    For the other 2, I had preemptively asked my SIL, a teacher, if she'd be willing to help if we were able to get pregnant.
    I'm hoping I'll deliver a little early (due 16th) so I can use her for about a month before she goes back. Schools here start mid August, so hopefully I'll be ready by then.
    For appts, I'll be using hubby or my MIL as a sub. My MIL only works pt and has afternoons off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant?
    Will be seeing my parents during thanksgiving so I'll probably tell them ahead of time as a warning, since I have a delicate relationship with food right now. Not super close to them so I don't have any special way planned to announce.

Texted SO at work right after I took a HPT, suspecting I was pregnant due to late period and sore boobs. In retrospect I wish I had waited so that I could put a literal bread bun in the oven and asked him to look in the oven. :D 

Who will you tell next?
    Parents. Then I'll probably wait until 12 weeks before letting friends know (if I can keep it to myself for that long).

Considering it, but not sure.
  • kristinl492kristinl492 member
    edited November 2019

My best friend, husband, and a couple close coworkers know. We will likely tell both sets of grandparents somewhere around the 7-8 week mark. The rest of the family and friends we will tel around Christmas. 

I used the letter board that we’ve used for all of our sons milestone monthly pictures. It already has his name on it, so I just added “big brother, July 2020.” And then I put it on the dining room table for him to see when he got home from work.

Who will you tell next?
    I will tell a couple close friends and coworkers over the next couple weeks, as long as everything continues to go well!

I’m in the camp of waiting to tell at the 12 week mark, except for those I’m closest to. 

A few know, we’re a really close knit department. I won’t tell my managers and anyone outside my department until 12 weeks or so.

Eventually
  • How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant?  Not sure how! Just like that I think, I'm actually nervous about it and I don't know why. I think we will tell most people when I'm 12 weeks along and we've seen the baby on the ultrasound. I don't plan on making an announcement, I think we'll just tell people as we see them or as it comes up. The timing should be perfect for Christmas holiday anyway. Ok I sound so boring haha, I might try to come up with something

How did you tell your partner? At the end of the day at 15 DPO, I attached the HPT to our dog's collar. It was a good laugh for me to watch it happen. DH: What's on Oliver's neck? [...] Is it a pregnancy test? Me: I don't know, why don't you check it out? He had the best reaction, I was really happy! The poor guy thought we were out which I thought when I started spotting early on, so he really didn't see it coming! 😅

Who will you tell next? We might tell my mom and my MIL and SIL this week-end after I have my 2nd GP appointment on Thursday and I get my bloodwork results. I'll be 8 weeks then. I feel like I need another proof than a FRER to believe this is happening. 

We kind of had to hint my SIL this week-end as she was going to book the venue for her child's baptism. The date is set for July 12 and I am currently due July 3 and we are the godparents... she kept smiling but didn't ask any more questions lol

Why are you waiting (or not waiting) to tell? Anxious as I had a chemical in August. 

How and when are you telling those you work with? I think I will tell my boss just before the Christmas Holidays and the rest as it comes. I might have to do it earlier if they request I attend one of our partner events in March which is in a Zika zone.

Are you making a social media announcement? As of now, I don't plan to. But if I do, our dog will be the one announcing the good news :smile:
  • I'm loving those Christmas big sister shirt announcements!
    I think we'll wait to Christmas to announce. I would prefer to wait until we're actually passed the first tri, (which so far will be Jan 12), but if everything is going well it would be a good time to announce to everyone together. Maybe I'll throw my daughter in one of those cute "big sister" shirts.
    One of my best friends will be getting married on Jan 11, a night of sobriety will be a dead giveaway anyway :D
    I gave the HPT to my 12 month old daughter and said "show daddy what you have". He was so shocked, "is that us?", he had no idea. I thought about videotaping it, but I'm glad I just enjoyed it in the moment. 
    Who will you tell next?
    Probably just my best friend. And then wait to tell everyone else. 
    I've had a loss before, and I'd just prefer to wait until we're further along. 
    I'll probably tell someone in admin at my school (but not my boss) just in case there are any infectious diseases going around so I can get a heads up. I'll tell my team sometime in the new year.
    Are you making a social media announcement
    Probably not anything super formal. 
  • How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant?  
    I'm telling my immediate family and close family friends on our friendsgiving on Friday. My best friend's wife has the same EDD so we're announcing together. We bought my DS and her 2 kids matching big sibling shirts (got one for my nephew too since my SIL is preggo, everyone knows but didn't want him to be left out).  

We had this whole plan that I would take a picture of a positive test and wait until he noticed since we have shared album on Google Photos. He was taking waaaay too long to notice so I put a positive digital on the edge of the sink and waited until the morning daze wore off for him to notice it. 

Who will you tell next?
    I'm going to tell my grandparents after my first ultrasound using our Photospring Digital frame. I'll add a picture of my DS wearing his big sibling shirt and wait for them to notice. 

I tell those who I'd want to know if I had a miscarriage, everyone else can wait until second trimester. 

I'll tell my admin (I'm a teacher) after my first ultrasound and maybe a few close co-workers. Last baby I waited until my anatomy scan. 

After my anatomy scan probably
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How and when do you plan on telling others you are pregnant? I am meeting my parents for lunch today and we will tell DH's mom later tonight. As soon as they know, the best friends know. They messaged me last night, but the order goes DH, parents then them. It is so hard not telling my girls!

How did you tell your partner? I took a pregnancy test on the 23rd and then on the 25th. I told him when he got home from work that night. He is a burly man with crazy curly hair and he got the tiniest sweet smile on his face. We decided to be cautiously optimistic which I imagine will follow us throughout the first trimester.

Who will you tell next? My parents are next a lunch. My mom is a shrewd woman so she probably already knows somehow. Then the MIL will know tonight. After that, noone until mid-January.

Why are you waiting (or not waiting) to tell? We are waiting until the second trimester for our wider circle of family and friends. I was initially reluctant to do this, but DH makes a lot of sense. We don't want to have the same heartrending conversation over and over again if (heaven forbid) something goes wrong. 

How and when are you telling those you work with? I really don't want to tell my boss. He has no filter and has no concept of personal space. As soon as I start showing, I imagine he will want to touch my belly. I'm going to carry around a wooden spoon to smack him with. My coworkers will know in mid-January. They are socially sensible people.

Are you making a social media announcement? No. I'd like to do a mini-photo shoot and send the photos to family and friends, but I'm cutting back on FB and I don't use any other platform.
  • @meri-mac Please hit your boss with a wooden spoon if he tries to touch your belly... and then tell us all about it :D  
    FWIW, I actually didn't have many touch my belly the first go round... work on your RBF and I bet you'll be fine!
  • @blaf322 I will definitely do the RBF :lol: It also helps that I am behind a desk with a physical barrier in the way. I don't even really want a hug from him. Like I said, no sense of personal space.
  • We're spending Thanksgiving with my parents in NJ so we told them when we got in last night. My mom asked for Christmas lists that were "something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read" so I put an email together with a bunch of baby stuff in those categories and a picture of my ultrasound at the bottom. I goaded her to open the email and she couldn't believe it! It was sweet. She like buried her face in her hands and was like "really??" And then turned to my brother and shouted "DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS?!" (He didn't, and was like "what are you freaking out about?") It was very fun.

This is going to be their first grandchild, so they were really excited. My mom is a teacher so she's glad it'll be during the summer. I was also really glad to finally ask my mom about her pregnancies (so I can get a sense of what to expect!)

We're telling the rest of my siblings today when they get in, and my in-laws next weekend. They have one grandson already, and they've been so obsessed with him, they'll be thrilled to be getting another I'm sure 🙂

Happy almost Thanksgiving and good luck to everyone telling friends and family over the holiday!!
  • @mehugg why did reading about your mom's reaction make me tear up?? So sweet! I'm glad it went well, and have fun telling everyone else!
  • Update: My mom absolutely knew. She bought Belgian chocolate earlier this week, one is a G and one is a B. She had to explain it to me because we had been talking about non-pregnancy things when she got them out. She must be clairvoyant.
  • @meri-mac huh? She told you you're pregnant with chocolates? Or she just brought chocolates to give you b/c she knew you'd be telling her? Do the chocolates mean anything? I'm so confused haha
  • stlbuckeye132stlbuckeye132 member
    edited November 2019
    @meri-mac I'm also confused haha did the B/G signify boy/girl or something? We need more details!
  • @blaf322 & @stlbuckeye132 Haha sorry. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't get it. G is for girl and B is for boy. Two massive Belgian chocolate letters!
  • @mehugg Your post also made me tear up! So very sweet!

@meri-mac Go Mom! That’s really cute too! (And now, I think I need chocolate).
  • @meri-mac so she just had them and carried them with her, waiting for you to tell her?! That's crazy that she already knew!! So neat! Does she have a feeling about what she thinks it is? (do you know? I don't remember from your intro)
  • @blaf322 She knew we were doing IVF and would find out on Tuesday, but she didn't know it would work. She bought them when grocery shopping this week knowing she would see me on Wednesday. If it was good news, she would give them to me. If not, my brother would eat them :lol:

@pretzellover I will definitely be taking a bite out of them when I am done work.