June 2020 Moms

November Randoms

Re: November Randoms

• I’ve got FX for some good Black Friday deals for everyone! We have a few things we need like another seat for the stroller, we’ll go ahead and get the ride on board at the same time. Will probably get another IKEA dresser. Maybe check out a double running stroller. Might also look into a second monitor/upgrade. Our infant seat is still good and DS is into convertible now. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • I really want the Britax One4Life to go on sale. That plus some totally boring cloth diapering things are all this baby gets. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @ladyscientist823 I think that’s a good idea! I really don’t need much this time, just a few bigger thinks I don’t really expect anyone to buy for us. But if baby is a boy I’ll need a lot of clothes as everyone bought my daughter PINK and dresses ha
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We don't need much other than nursery furniture, And things for in the room, diaper pail, humidifier, baby monitor etc, and a double stroller. IL sure there is more I just can't think of it yet.

Same as @ladyscientist823 I started an Amazon registry to add things as I remember. Just leaving it on private for now. 
  • we need a new video monitor. I think I'd like to replace the diaper genie as well. A dresser too. And a second sound machine.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• We probably need a second sound machine, double stroller, and a new video monitor because I hate the one we have. I won’t start mine for a while though because I’m paranoid. 
  • @ladyscientist823 I think that’s a good idea! I really don’t need much this time, just a few bigger thinks I don’t really expect anyone to buy for us. But if baby is a boy I’ll need a lot of clothes as everyone bought my daughter PINK and dresses ha
    That was one of the benefits of being team green for #1. A much bigger portion of our stuff is gender neutral. So many times when people do know the sex, they are gifted so much very gendered stuff from clothes to car seats to strollers. And then even if you’re the kind to not give two hoots if your little boy is cruising around in a hot pink stroller, strangers certainly care and have to tell you. 🙄 Someone even gave me crap once because I was using a pink leash for my boy dog because I thought it was pretty.

I am looking forward to finding out sex for this one so we can start editing the clothes around here. We’ve been very fortunate to get hand me downs from a couple families but those plus any we’ve bought & we have so many. I’ll be glad for them to go be of use to families in need. 

TTC since Feb 2016
  • @kiki75 Other people freaking out about gendered clothing and such is so ridiculous. My son loves to wear pink, skirts, dresses, nail polish, long hair, but also cargo pants, dinosaurs, rhinos. But when I posted a picture of him checking out school bus for the first time before preschool, he apparently had a pink skirt on, and some people flipped out. I no longer speak to my one grandmother because she told me I was torturing my child...I let him pick out his own clothes.
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kiki75 this was one of the reasons we were team green! I like gender neutral stuff anyway and I am not a huge fan of frilly pink stuff (not that it mattered, because we had a boy). I have so many friends who’ve had a girl first and all they get at their baby shower is pink tutus and headbands that baby is never gonna wear. One of my friends got 14 hooded towels. 14. 
  • @chaos-and-coffee yea my baby shower was filled with pink and lace. Not my style AT ALL. My godmother bought her literally 20 outfits that she said we’re  inspired by Princess Charlotte 🤣🤣
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I let my DS help pick out his own jammies when we're filling out his hand me down wardrobe. He has three sets of "girl" jammies because they had strawberries, or dinos, or rainbows on them and he loves them. 🤷‍♀️ Aside from cutting the crochet lace off of them (because no one needs scratchy lace in their armpit thanks) I don't really care that they're other gendered. 

But when we were pregnant with him we decided not to tell anyone the sex specifically to avoid a billion frilly things if we'd had a girl ... When we found out we were having a boy, we recanted but still told people we preferred gender neutral themes so we could reuse for a sibling. 

All that being said, it really bugs me when toddler girl clothes are shaped to have a faux waist or anything else that sexualizes a child. It's unnecessary and totally inappropriate and definitely one of my parenting hot buttons. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kiki75 this was one of the reasons we were team green! I like gender neutral stuff anyway and I am not a huge fan of frilly pink stuff (not that it mattered, because we had a boy). I have so many friends who’ve had a girl first and all they get at their baby shower is pink tutus and headbands that baby is never gonna wear. One of my friends got 14 hooded towels. 14. 
    That was a huge reason we were team green with our first-especially as we knew of wanted more kids and did not want frilly.

But, apparently my family couldn't figure out gift registries, or how to buy clothes gender neutral, so we still got 14 tiny hooded baby towels and 96 baby washcloths. But, very little else that we needed. I mean, it was great that so many people wanted to gift stuff, but I wish they had included gift receipts when buying things NOT on registry. Because I couldn't take back so many things. It was so weird! 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This also reminded me. The absolute best shower gift we got (from another mom) was a diaper cake made with all their leftover size 1-4 diapers. It meant I had a few diapers in every size for those freakish overnight growth spurts. Life saver. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Totally agree to the benefits of going team green & receiving gender neutral items. We went team green with #1 (boy), found out with #2 (also boy) and we got way more neutral items the first time around. I’ve been to many baby girl showers and cringe inside when I see all the frills. And it’s usually so excessive. I feel for the moms because sometimes they walk away with a thousand outfits and maybe only a couple things they actually need. I feel like everyone else “ooh’s” and “ahh’s” and all I’m thinking is I would never put my baby in something so gaudy & uncomfortable that she would certainly poo on/ruin in 10 minutes within putting it on. We (DH & I) discussed with #2 that if we found out we were having a girl we would pretend we decided not to find out and keep it to ourselves 😬 mostly because I’m already awkward at showers (being the center of attention) and I don’t know if I could fake liking those kind of gifts. I probably sound ungrateful, I’m totally not. But I feel some people think more about themselves when buying gifts for others than what the parents actually need.
  • My husband decided we should invite his parents over for dinner this weekend, totally forgetting about my nausea. I’m like, they can come over but I’m not making dinner because the thought of cooking makes me want to hurl... SIL came through and is handling the dinner portion for me 😅
  • @hanshotfirst77 I'm a little stitious too. I don't think I'll feel comfortable doing anything preparation-wise until I get out of the first trimester. Literally everytime we turn around there's something new to stress about.
  • Been wanting banana peppers for like 2 days! Finally got some today, put them on a salad, ate it and it was delicious!!! Then immediately after I got nauseous and everything came back up 😔. Well it was good while it lasted lol
  • Okay so I love but husband but he is terrible with privacy! He outed me to one of my long time friends so casually it makes me think he's said things to other people as well.  I know he's just excited but ARG  :#
    Me 29 DH 33
    Married 10/2016
    TTC since 04/2019
    BFP 10/12/2019, estimated 6 weeks
    EDD 06/07/2020
  • @kaefoster0625 Yes!  I have been all about banana peppers too.  Sorry you got sick, though. 
  • How’s everyone doing?  I have a bachelorette party to go next weekend (will be 10 weeks) but it’s an 8 hour flight each way... so wish I could cancel/didn’t say I would go in the first place.  On the itinerary is obviously partying and hiking, two things that do not sound fun.  Only positive is a good friend is 32 weeks and also going, so won’t be alone in that respect, but she lives nearby!

would you go?  I think I have to, but feeling do not in the mood...
  • @maryanne2019 Wow, that's hard. I probably never would have agreed to a party with an 8 hour flight as that's way out of our price range. Twice in one weekend? Every time I go to airport pregnant, I get sick too. 

How good of a friend? And how good of a friend is the other pregnant one? And how easy to duck out at 9/10 pm back to hotel (or wherever)?

I've done OK on all events I really forced myself into so far-the more just keep myself going, Tim loss time I have to realize how cruddy I feel.

If I had money, right now, I'd go. Two nights away from my lovely crotch goblins? I might get SOME uninterrupted sleep? Hell yeah, worth everything else, lol. But, different situation.
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pourmeanothermocktail oh gosh, I didn’t even think about the germs and getting sick on a plane!  And somehow I’m not immune to measles so I should keep that in mind too!  

Ugh, she’s a relatively good friend but we live far away from each other, but her wedding is in January, so not that far away!  The other pregnant friend is a close friend but I just saw her in July, and the worst part is we’re sharing an Airbnb... so no idea how easy it'll be to just duck out and go to sleep!

Im definitely having second thoughts, I hate being that person that backs out last minute but soooo not feeling it at the moment.  

It’s 8 hours away because I have to do a layover both ways, the flights were super expensive too!  

The only thing enticing about it is that I haven’t had a weekend away from my 4 year old basically ever.  Lol.  So it would sort of be time for myself, but not really...  

thanks for giving me more to think about! 
  • @maryanne2019 if you’ve paid and you can’t get your money back I’d go and just stick with the 32 week pregnant lady! And don’t feel bad about turning in early. I went back to the hotel early from two bachelorettes this summer and no one cared! They’d rather you be happy at home then looking miserable in the club. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd go, do my best to have fun, but allow myself to bow out when I really need to. Usually I wind up enjoying it more than I thought I would (the anxiety is far worse). Does the bride know you're pregnant? If not, might not be the worst idea to tell her discreetly so she understands why you might be acting differently. Or, if you're not ready to tell her, say that you haven't been feeling well but want to be there for her and will do what you can. 

As for the AirBnB, try to get a room or bed to yourself (again, can say you haven't been feeling well and want to isolate yourself so you don't interfere with their fun) and bring some earplugs and a sleeping mask. 
  • I would totally go. It's nice to just have time to myself and the 8 hours for travel would be just that. Just know your limits and do what makes you feel comfortable. If you want to go back to the airbnb earlier, then just do that. 

From the perspective of the bride, I'd probably be a little hurt if someone backed out last minute because they were pregnant, especially so early. I'd totally understand not wanting to be out so late or not hiking, but there are plenty of other opportunities through the weekend to spend time together. Maybe when they go hiking, you go get a pedi?

Just my two cents. You've got to do what's right for you though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @maryanne2019 after an hour at the mall by myself that felt delightfully indulgent yesterday, I’d totally go, with the recommendations that PPs mentioned. 
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• @maryanne2019 Go! You’re just experiencing the travel parabola. Planning the trip, it sounds like a great idea. Then as you get closer “eh, meh,” ... closer “why did I agree to this stupid trip” ... closer “ughhhh I really don’t wanna gooooo” ... get to the airport “Oh, well, I’ll just get a snack & do some window shopping” ... on the plane I’ve got my shows & my snacks and I’m started up the other side. If you’re trying to keep it on the DL, just be oh so nice as to keep the other pregnant woman company. 

As for avoiding getting sick, I traveled a ton first pregnancy, & got sick very little, even doing trade shows. Buy a travel pack or two of Clorox wipes and a box of individually wrapped Wet Ones. Put them where they’ll be accessible as soon as you get on the plane. (I did iPad case). As soon as you sit down, get a Clorox wipe out & wipe down everything you’ll touch. Arm rests, window screen, tray table, latch for tray table, vent nozzle, etc. It’s the things you touch much much more than the air. People might give you weird looks but idc. Sometimes I’d offer them a wipe and they’d gladly accept because the stare was a “Damn! Why didn’t I think of that?!” Before you start eating, get one of the Wet Wipes out & clean your hands. When you get to where you’re staying, wipe down the remote or put it in the ice bag. Try to get rest & do everything else you can to support your immune system. And, if anyone is traveling for business where you’re expected to shake a lot of hands, just say, “Oh, I’m just getting over something!” Works like a charm. People back right off.

TTC since Feb 2016
  • Re: registries and buying baby things- I’m superstitious too. Because this pregnancy is so high risk (twins, retained copper iud that can’t be removed, and AMA) plus being pgal, I’m reluctant to start a registry (would only be for coupon purposes) or buy anything. However, target already has their Black Friday preview ad out and there are some really good baby deals. Last time, with DD2, I got a $200 vtech double camera video monitor for $80. This year they’ve got a different vtech model (still 2 cameras) for 50% off. Hard to resist, so I may go ahead and do it. Still feels a bit scary though. There are some really good car seat deals too.
  • @kiki75 - this is great advice!!! I’m travelling for work next week (including flights) and definitely going to follow your tips
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @hayhay2501 thanks!  I think I’m just gonna suck it up and hang out with the other pregnant girl, I’m hoping she’s as tired as I am!  Lol
  • @kiki75. Oooh great tips!!  Thank you!   So true about the travel parabola...  I think I will go and read a book on the plane (never have alone time to do that)... so maybe it will be nice.  :)

Thanks all for responding!  ❤️

• @maryanne2019 oh she will be ahaha. I was the first of my friends to have a baby and I’ve ALWAYS stuck with the pregnant girl on bachelorettes since having DD 🤣 (there’s always one!). It’s a winning strategy to have a relaxing time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • virginiahamvirginiaham member
    edited November 2019
    Re: registries and buying baby things- I’m superstitious too. Because this pregnancy is so high risk (twins, retained copper iud that can’t be removed, and AMA) plus being pgal, I’m reluctant to start a registry (would only be for coupon purposes) or buy anything. However, target already has their Black Friday preview ad out and there are some really good baby deals. Last time, with DD2, I got a $200 vtech double camera video monitor for $80. This year they’ve got a different vtech model (still 2 cameras) for 50% off. Hard to resist, so I may go ahead and do it. Still feels a bit scary though. There are some really good car seat deals too.
    Hugs mama.

So this is one of the few items on our list too!  Just bookmarked this, it says the deal is good today too??

I have questions...with the dual camera/single monitor, can you *listen* to both cameras at the same time?  I know you can switch between the two, but I’m wondering if I should just get a whole other camera/monitor set so I don’t have to choose which one to listen to??  

Second/third/fourth time moms hallllllp.

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• @virginiaham the vtech one that I have now has a patrol mode that flips back and forth between the two rooms (even if I want to turn the video monitoring off and just listen). It’s like 10 seconds on one room and then flips to the other- back and forth. It’s also got a split screen mode that shows both kids rooms and plays the sound from whatever room there is noise in. This doesn’t work if you have 2 kids that both use noise machines (we do) because it will just yell at you that there’s sound in both rooms. Patrol mode is great. 

And thanks momma :heart: 
  • @petethecat that is great to know, thank you!!

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• I found this shirt at the thrift shop today that perfectly captures the mood my DS has been in for the past 3 weeks. 🤣😂

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sick again so I've been lerking more than commenting but dinner yesterday was interesting. I hate mushrooms. I mean they are disgusting and vial. Had mushroom soup and garlic bread with truffle oil on it. Pregnancy is so weird. 
  • I finally found my sea bands, so I'm feeling a bit better, yay. A bit worried about taking a 6 hour (one way) car trip to Minneapolis. 

Also, partners are so special. Mine admits to intentionally forgetting negative things that happen, as much as possible. So, now that I have a 1 and 3 year old at home, and have to take a 5 min walk plus a 5+ min wait at bus stop, with both kids, twice per day with wind chill below 15 now...I'm really struggling at home during week. By the time he gets home from work I've sat on couch and just been done (especially this week DST clock change turning my monkeys into demons). He asks me if this pregnancy has been my hardest so far, because it's certainly been HIS hardest. 

Well dude, seeing as you told me just 4 months ago that I didn't have any nausea or first trimester ickiness at all previously, you obviously don't remember anything about my prior pregnancies. Also, well, there are now two small needy kids and I have to bundle them up and force a 15+ min walk twice per day, ON TIME. And I'm getting 3-4 broken hours of sleep per night during the week and no chance to nap So even if I felt exactly the same, logistically this one will be the hardest. Duh. 

But, he isn't good at empathy (can do sympathy) and can't visualize what my daily work just doing bare minimum is around here, so he can't wrap his head around it.
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker