June 2020 Moms

BTDT Advice to FTMs

13»

Re: BTDT Advice to FTMs

• @runwmusic my daughter had torticollis and plagiocephaly as well, though we were able to avoid the helmet - but she was in physical therapy 2x a week for a year (she also had a gross motor delay). I'm glad to have that PT knowledge for the second one in my back pocket now!
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Oh, how could I forget...

Two words:

Daniel Tiger.

An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

• Loading the player...
  • Oh, how could I forget...

Two words:

Daniel Tiger.
    And when you cannot stand the songs and the  voices anymore, Shaun the Sheep has zero dialog. You. Are. Welcome. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love Daniel Tiger!  Baby bum is what is super annoying to me.  Pig...SUPER PIG!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love Daniel Tiger!  Baby bum is what is super annoying to me.  Pig...SUPER PIG!
    Ah see and I love LBB! My DD is speech delayed and I think baby bum has actually helped her to learn a ton of new words!

DS is into Blippi.... Now THAT is pure torture! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• +1 on PT for torticollis. It was actually an LC who noticed DS’s when she saw him in his car seat and asked what we were doing for it. It wasn’t yet super noticeable when he was out of his seat. Next ped appointment we got a referral to a pediatric PT who is incredible with kids & parents. It’s really all about the tummy time. It’s huge for foundational mind-body connections.

DS hated tummy time with a fiery passion and it’s so easy to just not get to it today, or tomorrow, or the next day. Don’t want to do it too soon after a meal bc then he spits up. Don’t want to kick the poor thing when he’s down and is already upset. If he’s happy, I don’t want to make him unhappy. And their stuff about “get down on the floor with them” is a) no duh and b) not magic. I spent a lot of time face to face with him on the ground with toys singing songs while he screamed bloody murder. But we learned a lot about ways to work into tummy time that made it much more enjoyable for him and us. When we get closer to outside babies, we can start a thread with some of the baby activity stuff. :)

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Daniel Tiger is my parenting method.

• @kiki75 tummy time is so hard when they legit HATE it.  We did a lot of tummy time with me reclined on the couch and DD laying on her belly on my chest looking at me....for the FTM’s, that TOTALLY counts.  Don’t underestimate the impact that even 5-10 minutes like that can have!
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Tummy time developed my DS's lung capacity along with his gross motor control. 😅 We found it was a great thing to get Grandma and Grandpa in on whenever they visited. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @saladflambe If you have to go potty, stop and go right away! Flush and wash and be on your way!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lwhrmomma Ugh blippi....I was so very glad when DS stopped asking for that on repeat. I can still hum that theme song. 
  • @diagonalley when you feel so mad that you gotta roar take a deep breath *deep breath* and count to 44. 1,2,3,4.  Daniel Tiger has helped my parenting so much!!
  • Actual convo with my 3-year-old last night...
    (Luna is a cat)

Luna: *scratches sofa*
    Me: (slightly raised voice) Luna no!
    Emma from the bathroom: what’s wrong mama?
    Me: Luna was scratching the sofa
    Emma: it’s ok mama
    Me: it’s ok?
    Emma: (comes into room singing- from Daniel tiger) stop, stop, stop! it’s ok to be angry, it’s not ok to hurt someone. Remember mama? It’s ok to be angry at Luna, but Luna is my kitty too! *pets Luna*

....well ok then

• @kiki75 ds HATED tummy time on the floor or on my chest. He would scream bloody murder instantly. Really hoping this time around isn't that bad. Our pt was amazing though. If I have issues with this baby I will end up going in sooner than later for help even though I know the stretches now.
  • @runwmusic My oldest did tummy time as baby carrier time where his head wasn't fully supported by carrier. Because even on my chest we got nowhere, and as a reflux baby, he would puke everywhere. So him learning to lift and hold head while he was vertical was a good start until he was 4 months old.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pourmeanothermocktail ds had great neck control early on and was crawling by 5 months. He really took off but the first three months were awful. He wanted nothing to do with anything but laying on his back or being in his jumper. Pt didn't like the jumper so he was on his back more often. Looking back I would have let him jump more often. Ftm worries I guess.

This pregnancy is so different than the last. Makes me wonder if they will be opposites! 
  • @diagonalley OMG that song is always stuck in my head. Lol
  • Boooooo blippi! Have you looked up that guys history? Apparently he used to be famous for making weird pooping on people videos. I do not like that guy... 
  • @runwmusic Both my kids loathed being my their backs. Oldest hated belly too. Both hated swing, and bouncy seat. First didn't have enough muscle for saucer or doorway jumper until 6 ish months, but younger one did, got great use with saucer at only 3 months. They were different, but also the same. Super social, great at learning to feed themselves, but slow to walk amd talk, even though you can see they have skills. My younger one has been pushing a zebra cart since she was 8.5-9 months old. She's 14 months and flies around in it, but won't stand unassisted very often, and will never take even a single step. But...her balance is amazing, you can see it. It's...silly. She can stand and rock on our toddler rocking chair, with no hands...
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • MssyMmmy said:
    Boooooo blippi! Have you looked up that guys history? Apparently he used to be famous for making weird pooping on people videos. I do not like that guy... 
    😳 

but then

😂🤣

TTC since Feb 2016
  • While babysitting the other weekend we watched Balto 3. My husband was disturbed by the aggressively randy goose
  • The NBR thread reminded me of a baby item you can use for mom.  Immediately postpartum if you’re doing a boppy, skip the donut pillow and sit on the boppy.  I just put a waterproof pad over it.

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Thank you to everyone for all these tips! So helpful and gracious of you to share. FTM and doing alllll the googling. I don't know what half of you are talking about and that freaks me out lol! 

Would love to know more about essentials to have for months 0-4. There is a lot of paraphernalia out there .... What is absolutely necessary?? 

Would also love to know about what to bring in the hospital bag/at home for immediately post partom .... Cooling foam? Tucks pads? What are these and what are they for? 🤷🏽‍♀️😂
  • @lo_c We’ll have registry & hospital bag threads when we get closer. 

As for the cooling foam and tucks, if you have a vaginal birth, they’re helpful for soothing. 

One critical thing to know: Blue Dermoplast = cool like ice. Red Dermoplast = fire. They are not the same. 

TTC since Feb 2016
  • @lo_c I ended up with an emergency c section but I had padsicles ready to go. Aloe Vera and witch hazel covered maxis frozen in the freezer.

@kiki75 🤣🤣🤣
  • The hospital gave me a big thing of tucks pads to take home so I didn’t make any. Take everything and anything the hospital gives you! All the things! 
  • saladflambesaladflambe member
    edited November 2019
    Very little is absolutely necessary. 
    There were a couple of things I was glad to have:
    • Nose frida
    • saline spray to squirt up the nose before using the nose frida
    • simethicone drops
    • White noise machine
    • Heating pad to pre-heat surfaces before laying baby down (remove pad before laying them down)
    • Zippadee zips were our preferred swaddle transition
    • Sleep sacks for during swaddle time
    • Get some of those little like...disposable doggie waste bag rolls? Clip to your diaper bag to put dirty diapers or clothing in when on the go.
    • Infant tylenol
    • A rectal thermometer & vaseline or coconut oil
    • I was a big fan of gowns vs. anything with zippers or buttons - made diaper changes so much easier.
    • I was also a fan of the Carter's rompers that totally unbutton on the bottom.
    • A manual breast pump, not just an electric one. Never know when you won't have electricity.
    Oh, and my recovery wasn't awful, but definitely the blue can of dermoplast

• @pourmeanothermocktail I would love a cloth diaper thread!

We cloth diapered DS starting at around 7 weeks, when my husband finally got on board. I want to cloth diaper this baby starting at birth and have started a small NB collection but forsure need more.  We mainly use AIO because when DH agrees to it he said it had to be super easy. Pockets aren't my favorite but everyone has their own preferences. For a first time CD parent I would suggest having several styles to try and see what you like before you buy a bunch. 

Another +1 for torticolis. My lactation consultant noticed it around a week or so with DS and at our 2 week appointment we had a referral for physical therapy. He did once a week for the first few months, then twice a month, then once a month until he was about a year. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Onnnnnly because it’s come up a couple of times, the huge caveat for Infant’s Tylenol is that fever in babies 0-3 months need need needs to be seen by a doctor before you decide that you’re good to just treat at home without getting baby seen.  Your doctor may examine baby and give you the green light to treat at home, but please don’t think you need to give Tylenol for a few days and only then get baby seen if the fever persists.

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Please post your stretch mark lotion recommendations! I can't stand the smell of Palmer's, even before pregnancy 😖
  • @sram331 I love Burt’s bees belly butter.
  • @sram331 bio oil!! That stuff is AMAZING 
  • So I haven't gotten through every post here yet, but seeing a lot of tummy time tough time. We had the same... But I was a big fan of baby wearing - when really little in the scarf carrier and older in something like the ergo baby (note: baby should only ever face you, because it's really bad for their hips to face outward, though they love seeing out)- and a physical therapist also told me this totally counts as tummy time. Score. Quiet baby, nursing discreetly in public places, bonding, tummy time, more room to move around in stores. All done with with baby wearing. And then they got older I put them on my back (still facing me) and shoveled the snow. We have a lot of snow and it was the only way plus super enjoyable for everyone! 
  • When should I stop sleeping on my stomach? And I usually don't but when should I stop sleeping on my back? 
  • @sram331 when it starts to feel uncomfortable, that’s when I would stop. If you are still comfortable on your back or stomach, you can still sleep like that. I can’t remember exactly when they recommend to stop back sleeping because the baby is big enough they can compress a vein or something, but you’ll know. I always got tingly hands and feet and would wake myself up and change position. 
  • I feel like your body knows what position to sleep in.  I'm already sleeping on my hip rather than flat on my stomach.  
  • @sram331 I remember my doctor telling me during my first pregnancy that I shouldn't be on my stomach after 20 weeks. My body completely echoed this and it wasn't even possible shortly after, just too uncomfortable.