January 2020 Moms

What is in your hospital bag?

It’s getting to be that time for some of us so let’s get this thread going!

STM+ - What do you feel are essentials to bring to the hospital? What did you bring last time that you didn’t use? What did you forget that you wanted/needed? Share anything you feel is relevant. 

FTM - Have you started packing? Do you have any questions regarding what to bring? 

Don’t forget essentials for your SO if they are planning to stay in the hospital with you!

Here is a list to get started:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebump.com/a/checklist-packing-a-hospital-bag/amp

Re: What is in your hospital bag?

• I think we already did one of these threads, but it might have been when you were out of town, @kbrown2385

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12747473/product-spotlight-10-4-hospital-bag-essentials
  • For me, I ended up bringing stuff I didn't need, and forgetting last minute stuff I DID need. Luckily, most of us will have spouses and family members/friends who can run to the nearest store and pick up whatever we forgot.

Toiletries: Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, lotion, etc. PAMPER YOURSELF. Don't just buy cheap throwaways. You earned a little self-indulgence. Advil/Motrin, just in case your hospital doesn't provide it. You'll thank me for this one. Tucks pads for swelling and stitches. 

Snacks: It's not really easy to get off the maternity ward in most places. The HUGS system will prevent you from taking baby, and you can't leave them. Be sure to pack snacks or send someone to to the cafeteria to get you some. It's a long break between meals, and it doesn't take long for your appetite to return.

Clothes: I packed a few night shirts and pajama bottoms, as well as a 10 pack of cheap undies I could throw away for me. For baby, I packed a couple of onesies and gowns, because I wanted him in the cutesie outfits I picked out. We also each had a coming home outfit...Make sure you pack something maternity. It's unlikely you'll fit into pre-pregnant clothes for a few weeks. I used the hospital robe. Receiving blankets for baby, as well as a heavier one to cover baby up when in the carrier...unless you're on Hell's Doorstep like me, it's going to be cold. 

Books, tablet, laptop, etc - It gets BORING.

Linens: I brought my own towel. 2, but I only needed one. 

Things I didn't need:
    Nipple Cream - BUY this, but you don't really NEED it at the hospital. Tenderness kicks in and peaks a few days later. 
    Breast pads - Unless you're having an extended stay, you won't need these at ALL. 
    Diapers - the hospital provides them. and...you can honestly wait until baby is born to BUY diapers, period. That way, you know what size you need, and can grab some on the way home or have someone grab a couple of packs before you discharge. (Twin moms, I'd ignore that one. Y'all will need LOTS of diapers!)
    Pads - The hospital provided them. I requested a handful of the ones with ice packs ahead of discharge because PAIN.  By the time I ran out of those, Always Infinity Overnights worked FINE. But, I also BF, and I know that encourages things to contract, shrink, and flush out quicker. 
    Adult underwear....ok this is one that is personal preference. I chose to use mesh undies and pads with ice packs. But, not everyone woman will go that route. Check with your hospital. Mine provides them upon request. 

As far as my SO...I'd say he can fend for himself, but I learned that's not true at ALL....Just pack him some underwear, clothes, socks, towel, and a toothbrush. Everything else, he can use what you brought, and he can go on a snack hunt FOR you!

• Loading the player...
  • @marebear15 absolutely was 🤣🤣
  • LOL, I wasn't going to say anything...just post it all again. 
  • @FyreFlyeRush thanks for humoring me haha
  • we could bump up that post since it seems more relevant now then it did then ?