June 2020 Moms

Noninvasive prenatal tests (NIPT)

Good Morning Ladies,

I went to my first appointment on 10/15. My Doc confirmed my EDD is 6/8/2020 and he did a few tests and we received our first ultrasound. The little one looks good and Doc could see the heartbeat and scheduled me for another ultrasound in a few more weeks (10weeks). Doc begins to tell me about the NIPT test and I couldn't believe my ears. When I had my son (turning 9yrs old next month), I knew nothing about this test or it was still in the works. So I have been educating myself before I agree to take the test at my next appointment 11/12/19. Doc told me the benefits of this test and also inform me that I could find out the gender of the little one (wooow so early). What are your thoughts on the NIPT test? Are you planning on taking the test? Are you interested in finding out the gender?
TTMills,
"wishing all the mommies a healthy & happy nine months of pregnancy"

Re: Noninvasive prenatal tests (NIPT)

• If it's non invasive, what's to worry?

I had blood tests with both of my previous pregnancies that tested for abnormalities and such and I was also able to find out the sex from those test.  My doctor's office does this in lieu of a scan at 12 weeks because it gives them more accurate information.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, I am doing it for sure. If it is covered/you can afford the self-pay option, it’s worth it. Gender is just a bonus, but I’m eager to learn that too! My dr doesn’t do the 12 wk NT test either.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm only 32, so my insurance will not cover it, so I'm not likely to get it.

I didn't even do the NT test last time tbh.

I will do an early sex scan when I'm like 16 weeks though.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• It's not for me. I don't think of it as harmful at all, but it only gives information I really don't need/want.

We don't find out the sex. And I don't need to know about Down Syndrome (which is the biggest other thing it's screening for). It's also generally only a screening test, not a definitive test, so it can give a lot of "such and so is more likely" which can worry people a lot, and then you need a more invasive test later to confirm for sure yes or no. 

So, some people may benefit from having the info, and that's fine, but depending on your "flavor" or anxiety, the amount of "false positive***" results can really wreak havoc on some people. 

***Again, it's a screening test, so it's not actually a positive result, it's a "more likely than average" result. But, you'd still need amnio or similar to get a clear yes or no in regards to things like Down Syndrome, etc.

I may elect do do an early dating scan, just to date this.

Otherwise, I'll do a blood test just for me, to make sure I'm healthy, and I'll do the anatomy scan, because that would tell me if baby has medical condition that would definitely need preparation from me before birth, or a placental placement issue that could disqualify me from home birth, especially with a previous cesarean.

But again, those are just *my* personal reasons. Everybody-you do you. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kiki75 Just for reference, I don't think the testing is a bad idea, just not right for me. I have close friends with many conditions, including Down Syndrome. I know that there are frequently heart issues associated. I also know the heart issues, or other medical conditions associated would come up in the anatomy scan, which is more diagnostic than screening, so for me, handling my anxiety does better learning about these things at scan. That's all.

TW loss

I can totally understand why some people prefer to screen earlier, but they have such a high "false positive" rate, it's bad for me. I've had several friends told that there is a high chance of baby having trisomy 13 from screen, which is fatal, just to worry for weeks until anatomy scan or amnio is possible, to find out everything is fine.

That would be worse for me. But, just for me. 

End TW

A heart condition associated with Down Syndrome is something I worry about knowing before birth, but learning at 20 weeks is enough time for me to make arrangements and plans and mentally prepare. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pourmeanothermocktail To be clear... I wasn’t subposting you or anything. Mine just happened to be directly after yours. I had started writing, had to do some stuff & came back & finished it. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • kiki75 said:
    @pourmeanothermocktail To be clear... I wasn’t subposting you or anything. Mine just happened to be directly after yours. I had started writing, had to do some stuff & came back & finished it. 
    Cool, thanks. If I came across as bitchy, I'm sorry. I'm just pretty direct and opinionated, and too often, especially regarding pregnancy and birth, have been pushed and ridiculed, etc. And haven't slept well in 4 years...so I don't always do great reading or conveying tone nicely.
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Anyone have an idea how much it costs without insurance coverage?
  • I had the panorama test done my last pregnancy and did self pay. It was $250
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did panorama last time and paid $200.  $100 for each part - the one part of it I won't have to redo because it tests for whether you are a carrier for certain things or not and that doesn't change.  So I'm hoping at most it will be $100 this time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you, both!
  • @kimber308 I would definitely call and ask. My Dr said people who weren't covered by insurance had to pay 3k put of pocket. 
  • @runwmusic Whoa! 😮 That is... wow.

Definitely never hurts to call insurance, the doctor, and the testing company. A number of the testing companies have a cash price that is very different from the insurance price. If you have to, you can always contact a different company than the one your doctor’s office usually works with and I would bet they have a way to send you a kit that you can take to a local lab to do the blood draw. My OB’s office (and it’s likely also the network it’s in) put the order in and sent me home with the kit and I just took it to the lab closest to my house to do the draw & send it in. Which was nice because it saved doing a separate appointment for the draw. Ours was Counsyl and I think their cash rate is $300.

Pictures from last time in case you’re curious. It was a two vial draw. I’ll resize the pics later when I’m on desktop. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • You can also contact the testing company directly if you're going to pay out of pocket. Some of them have reduced rates for direct billing vs what they bill the insurance company (which is probably where the $3k comes from). They may even work with you on pricing if you're in certain demographics. There's a balance these companies strike between pricing and building up a large customer base, so it never hurts to look into it. Check out their website or ping their customer service contact! 

(My prior professional life was in biotech, specifically in clinical diagnostic development.) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kimber308kimber308 member
    edited October 2019
    I called the company today. The out of pocket price is just under $400. They did a check with my insurance and it seems like they'll cover some and it'll cost $125, but under $400 worst case scenario. A far cry from $3K! I'm so sorry to hear that @runwmusic. Thanks, everyone!
  • Hi! I am 8 weeks today.( due 6/15/20)  I had my 1st ultrasound last Wednesday and I am scheduled to go in for my bloodwork for the NIPT test Nov. 26, and then go back Dec 9th for results, gender and another ultrasound.  My son is almost 16 and I also have not heard of this when he came along!  My Doctor advised me because of my age (39) it is a great thing to do.  However, I am very nervous and anxious to wait!