Group 2 (2/8-2/14) Check-in w/o 11/4

EDD/W+D:

Team:

Baby Size:

Upcoming Appts:

Symptoms/Cravings:

Rants/Raves:

Questions:

GTKY- You just found a $20 on the ground and no one is around so you pocket it. What are you going to do with it?

Re: Group 2 (2/8-2/14) Check-in w/o 11/4

• Loading the player...
  • @daffodil_shoe congrats on going home today!
  • @um_thor That's so awesome you got a wardrobe designed and ordered! That's super exciting!
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • @daffodil_shoe So glad to hear you're getting to go home and going to be taking it easy.
    @brookert615 FX he feels like the next one you like is "the one".

EDD/W+D: 2/9 26+1

Team: Blue

Baby Size: Kale

Upcoming Appts: 11/25 GD screen

Symptoms/Cravings: RLP, low back aches (but I did do the crossfit open WOD this morning haha)

Rants/Raves: We met with our doula this weekend to discuss birth plans and go over questions/ concerns. She and my husband have the same concern which is that we won't make it to the birth center and we'll end up with a car baby. My first labor was 8 hours total. I work about 30 minutes from home and 45 minutes from the birth center. The birth center is 1 hour away from home. My husband works 30 minutes in the opposite direction, and we have a toddler in school at a triangulated location about 25 minutes from either of us. The big concern is labor starting during the day with me at work and then only having 3-4 hours to pick up our toddler, get our stuff together, and make the trek to the birth center. They both kind of want me to stop working and start putzing around the house in advance, but I don't know that I think that solves the issue. What if baby doesn't come until 41 weeks again and I waste 4 weeks of leave? Also what if I plan to stop working at 39 weeks and baby decides to show up at 37? 

Questions: When/ do you all plan to stop working at some point?

GTKY- You just found a $20 on the ground and no one is around so you pocket it. What are you going to do with it? Buy yarn.
  • @craftywitch That's such a tough situation. I don't think I could stop working and lose time of leave! Good luck in your decision!
    TW
  • @daffodil_shoe Really?! My birth photographer has photographed a parking lot birth and several drive-bys, and my doula has caught a half dozen car babies. She said she wanted us to text when we were going to drive up because if we pull over it'd be safer for her to be there to catch. During our birthing class they even make the Dads learn the basics for catching because the center has had so many car/ parking lot births. I wonder if it's the altitude! Just out of curiosity at what point in labor does your center tell people to come in?
  • @craftywitch ugh, that is so hard. I personally wouldn't stop working and lose leave time because I potentially only have 6 weeks off. With my first, she was a week late. I was being induced Friday and worked until the Wednesday. But good luck in making your decision. If only we knew for sure when these little humans were going to make their appearance!
  • @craftywitch what a tough question! I'm going to be paying close attention to everyone's answers here. Apparently all my coworkers with kids worked up until their due dates but with twins I know I won't be doing that. I talked to my OB today about work - I'd been reading a lot of women were pulled off work ~28 weeks. She said they don't make you stop unless you're having spotting, more intense BH or a lot of fatigue. For me personally, I think I'd be able to wrangle cutting my hours just a bit as I get bigger and more tired, but we'll see. I'm already struggling with certain things at my job but have been able to delegate and will probably continue modifying as needed. The hardest part will be fitting in my truck to get to work in the first place...I think I may have another couple weeks at most!
  • @noxacanthus Hope you can figure out why you’re having that feeling! So exciting about the US! ❤️
    TW
  • @daffodil_shoe so glad you got to go home today! 

@craftywitch I worked until my due date with my first and was a sahm for my second. I would want to work up to my due date just to maximize my time home with baby. But You definitely have a crazy situation with logistics. I’m terrified of not making it to the hospital in time with this one. We are like 15-20 minutes away From the hospital but things progressed quickly with my 2nd, I made it in enough time but couldn’t get an epidural. 
  • @craftywitch, last time I worked until 38 weeks when I was induced. This time I plan to also work as long as possible. My concern is we now live farther from the hospital than last time and my H works in the city and DD is at DC near my school. If I went into labor at school, H would have to meet me at the hospital (someone would drive me?) and someone would have to pick up DD (my parents are 2.5 hours away so a friend may have to do it depending on time of day). It’s all much more stressful this time around now that we have another kid to figure out logistics for. 
  • EDD/W+D: 26+1 - 2/9/2020

Team: Green

Baby Size: Kale

Upcoming Appts: Today and Nov. 18 for my 28 week appointment

Symptoms/Cravings: I am feeling large and squished. I am not craving anything in particular right now. 

Rants/Raves: Got to hear the baby's heartbeat today - 135! We also had our first Bradley class this past weekend. I learned lots and really enjoyed the instructor. We are going out of town this weekend for a little babymoon! I found out some more information about the "Low Intervention Birth Suites" at our hospital and am excited to move forward.

Questions: STMs - Did any of you ladies use Nitrous Oxide during your previous labors?

GTKY- You just found a $20 on the ground and no one is around so you pocket it. What are you going to do with it? Probably spend it on something with/for my friends. 
  • @craftywitch I am planning on being done January 31. - That is of course if everything goes according to plan. I was thinking Feb. 7, but the way my leave plays out, I have "extra time" - beyond my 6 weeks paid from the school district. I might as well take advantage of my PTO. 
  • @craftywitch I’m not even totally sure, I think the generic “consistent contractions” or “if your water breaks.”

I wonder too if your doula has caught so many babies because typically people who hire doulas wait as long as possible before going to the hospital to avoid any interventions. So then they wait too long. 

My hospital averages 100-120 births a month, so if your birthing center delivers more babies than that, it would stand to reason they would have more accidental home/car births and drive-bys as well.
  • @burr1371 I don’t think nitrous oxide is offered at very many facilities in the US. Very common in England though. What about you Canadians?
  • @daffodil_shoe It was pretty common when I was born 30 years ago, but they also didn't do many epidurals then. I have no idea what current practise is. Maybe a question for my OB. 
  • @brookert615 The doctor didn't seem concerned; he said it's probably just the abdominal muscles stretching and getting tired as the uterus crowds everything, especially since it happens in the evening after they've been supporting the bump all day. He suggested stretching and gently massaging the area. Baby girl is a week ahead in size and weight, and that's practically the 3rd trimester, with all its aches and pains on the way.
  • @daffodil_shoe @mandk1233 I asked my midwife yesterday at my appointment and she said it was available. It is becoming more of a thing here in Colorado! :)
  • @noxacanthus Glad to hear it's just growing pains! 
    TW
  • craftywitchcraftywitch member
    edited November 2019
    Nitrous was offered at my birth with DS (also in Colorado) and is available again this time. I had to sign some paperwork about it, but I told them not to offer it to me and that I'd ask if I wanted it. If you want to use any at all you have to pay for a canister which was like $200 or something like that so genuinely being cheap kept me from trying it LOL. I was like "I don't want to pay for the whole thing because what if I don't like it..." and the baby came quickly enough that I didn't feel like I needed anything.

Side note: on the show "Call the Midwives" as the seasons progress they start offering "gas and air" and it's what they call nitrous oxide. I believe I've heard some UK youtubers talk about using nitrous oxide, also referring to it as "gas and air".
  • @craftywitch Yes! I love Call the Midwife. I had a friend use Nitrous Oxide at her birth almost 3 years ago and she liked it. :)
  • @craftywitch I'm planning to work right up until my due date of February 15th. However, starting February 1st I'm planning to leave work each night with instructions for "in case baby comes early, here is my remaining work responsibilities to be done." I'm a FTM, so I have no idea what to expect!