Me: 33 | DH: 34
Married: October, 19, 2015
EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
EDD 11/24/23
(Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

Re: Weekly Question Thread w/o 10/20

• Options
    So my OB told me I could use miralax. I’ve never used it before. I took a dose today and nothing. How is it supposed to work? And if it doesn’t, what gives?!
  • Options
    @miss.sally I take it every night! It takes a few days to start working, but it really helps me. It's really gradual and gentle. My doc said I could use it twice a day if I wanted to, but since I'm a teacher and can't always get to the restroom on my own schedule, I haven't done the second dose just to be safe. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @miss.sally It takes a couple days to see a difference! I also still need stool softeners with mine. Hope it helps! 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    @miss.sally I just got Metamucil yesterday to help out a bit as I’m back to my normal bowel movements of every other day and pretty hard push (which acted up my external hemmeroid). OB told me colace was fine too if u need it! 

Also, random and likely stupid question. Am I squishing the baby or doing any harm when I’m tilted on my stomach sleeping? I’m not big enough to where I can’t sleep on my stomach so sometimes I find myself halfway on my stomach when I wake up.
  • Options
    So I am taking Prilosec for my heartburn, and it's really helping--but I am taking what is a 14-day treatment. My ob said taking it was fine with pregnancy, but the box says not to take any more after 14 days. 2 questions: I should call her, right, and see if it's okay for me to keep taking it after the 14 days? And secondly--I know I can google this/look when I go to the store, but--does anyone know if they have just regular Prilosec, that CAN be taken regularly and what the difference is between that and the one I got? I chose it bc of cost (there was a 28-pill one, but the 14-pill one was on sale?) and bc it was berry coated not mint coated, rather than the others.
  • Options
    @mrsc918 I asked my ob this exact question! she said no, no harm done--just that it's physically impossible to sleep entirely on your stomach, that's why no one really talks about it. but side sleeping = a little stomach sleeping sometimes & that's okay. 
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom you can totally take it for longer than 14 days! I was on Prilosec for months a few years ago to help with my GERD. If you decide you need it for longer than 14 days, I would ask your OB for a prescription for omeprazole (aka Prilosec). It ends up being much cheaper than buying the 14 day packs over and over. I'd still ask her for your own piece of mind, and then bring up the prescription suggestion.
  • Options
    Looking at my open enrollment options now, and insurance always confuses me.

Is it smart to pay for hospital indemnity insurance, since I'm definitely going to have some kind of hospital stay? I understand it wouldn't cover new baby, if we have another NICU stay, but if it could help supplement any of my bills, it seems like it's worth it?

Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Options
    @mrsvp614 what is your current potential hospitalization cost with insurance now? I didn't even know hospital indemnity insurance was a thing, but it seems like something for longer term care. Not sure how it happened last time, but eventually did you hit your annual max and stop paying?
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Options
    mrsvp614mrsvp614 member
    edited October 2019
    @varimama Honestly, I can't remember specifically how it broke down, but between my hospital bills and our NICU stay, we had almost $7k worth of bills. DS1 was born in August, so I don't think we hit our deductible until after he was born.
    This time around, we have different insurance, and with the birth being earlier in the year, I'm assuming we'd hit our deductible after the birth. The plan says pregnancy, normal and complications, is covered, and we would get $1,000 to us upon hospital admission, then $100 for each day, with a year cost of $192.
    It seems like it's paid off for other people, but I never know what to expect when the time actually comes for insurance to get involved.
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Options
    @mrsvp614 I have hospital indemnity insurance through Aflac, which was great during my last L&D because the reimbursement far exceeded the money I’d put into it. HOWEVER, when I signed up, the policy made it clear that your LMP had to fall after your policy went into effect in order to qualify for maternity admission coverage (in other words if you’re already pregnant when you sign up, they won’t cover). So I’d look into that specifically.
  • Options
    @orbmaker Thanks! I'm trying to find that out. 
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Options
    Anyone else have an uncooperative baby and have to go back for part of the anatomy scan?! It gives me anxiety but the doctor said everything is fine- he just needs some measurements for the heart.
  • Options
    @vrstrawn I have my anatomy scan this Friday afternoon and I'm fully anticipating my baby not cooperating.  My baby has yet to cooperate during any of our ultrasounds, specifically the NT scan a few weeks back.  The good news is that your doctor said everything is fine, which I sincerely doubt they'd say if anything looked or appeared 
    "off" or abnormal, so to speak.  I think having to come back more than once is relatively normal for the anatomy scan since they need so many specific measurements that require the baby to be in certain positions, etc.  I think it'll be okay.  :) 
  • Options
    Hi guys,  I worked out today and did deadlifts and push ups this morning. My stomach has been tight since after the workout. Think I may have put too much weight on the bar or something. Anyone ever had a strained stomach or similar after working out? It's freaking me out. No spotting or anything else. Thinking to go to the Doctor tomorrow if it doesn't subside. Anyone medical to chime in?
  • Options
    @grga is it like a constant tight or is it tight for a bit then relaxes then gets tight again? If it’s the latter you’re probably having Braxton Hicks. I only got them a couple times last pregnancy but it was when I was dehydrated or had worked hard physically or both. They are totally common though and many people get them throughout pregnancy. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    @grga I get this when I push too hard at the gym (did you happen to do 20.3 by any chance??)- I normally drink a lot of water and rest for the rest of the day and it gets better. I have been going around 50% of my 1 RM and things have gotten better, focus on perfect form and breathing rather than loading the bar way up- it is hard to back down.
  • Options
    My stomach felt constantly tight. Took Tylenol and it eased up. Yes! I did 20.3. I just haven't done deadlifts like that in a while either. I did scale big time tho. Called the Doc. She said probably a strained and or uterus..feeling much better today 👍
  • Options
    MalidociousMalidocious member
    edited October 2019
    Is anyone taking any lamaze type of class?  Are they targeted just at first time moms?  Is it too soon, or is it ideal to go around this time?  My hospital is offering one on November 9th and another on December 14th (and none are scheduled yet for 2020) and I'm curious if I should go for it now or wait to see if they offer any 2020 classes?
  • Options
    kailanaekailanae member
    edited October 2019
    @Malidocious I haven't done a lamaze class specifically, but our hospital has historically offered classes for first-time parents as well as classes designed to be refreshers (safety, breastfeeding, infant CPR) or for siblings.

I would reach out to the point of contact for the class you are interested in to see how often they offer the class and if they recommend any certain time in pregnancy to go.  I know one of my programs I did when I was a FTM was a 6-week program so I had to make sure to pick a starting session that I would finish before baby time.  I did in general try to take them closer to the end of the pregnancy though so the stuff I learned would be fresh once baby arrived.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • Options
    @Malidocious I would assume they’d have classes in 2020 and just haven’t listed them yet. We did most of our classes in January/Feb for my DS who was due 2/22. 

I think this time we plan on taking infant CPR (wish I had taken it last time) and a sibling class for DS. We might do another tour as well to get a refresher. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    @Malidocious It depends how many weeks the class is too. You wanna make sure you get in the class before baby arrives (if she comes early). I knew I was prob getting an epidural (and I did) so I only took a one day class on “Mindful Childbirth” that helped me with breathing through contractions until I got to the hospital and knowing when to go to the hospital. They coached me on pushing when I got there bc all my brain cells were out the window. I took a several week class on various pregnancy and newborn care stuff and the hospital told me what wk to start taking the class so I would def finish before baby came. DH came to the class too. It was prob unnecessary, but I enjoyed the class. I think I did start going a little after 20 wks. Not pos
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @malidocious I'm not planning on any classes this time, but I did take lamaze for my first and second.  Both times, I took the classes a couple months before I was due - so in about the 7th month of pregnancy, and that ended up working out well for me.   Both classes I took were from different hospitals/cities so they were run a little differently - the first time, it was a class lasting an entire day on a Saturday.  The second time, it was stretched out over a couple of weeks, with a few hour sessions at a time.  The class is definitely geared towards FTMs.. I took it the second time for DH's benefit, he was new to the process, and also I was delivering at a new hospital so I wanted the tour.  :)  I would recommend going, it's interesting and definitely a good pre-birth memory for me.  (especially the first one, I took it with DD's dad, and he's since passed away.. he signed the 'certificate of completion' for the class and it's one of my favorite keepsakes.)   

I'd also recommend a breastfeeding class - I never took one and regretted it, since I struggled with breastfeeding (especially as a FTM.)  It would have been nice to be prepared with more resources.  

• Options
    @treetop19 and @Malidocious I did take a breastfeeding class with DS and it was 0 help with any of our issues. It was basically 5 hours of breastfeeding is best and if you use formula you’re harming your child. Since we had to supplement at first it was just awful. Instead I’d recommend finding a local LLL meeting and attending while pregnant. You’ll get much better advice and get some connections in case you do need help after the birth! 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    I second what @varimama said about the LLL!! They’re seriously amazing and so knowledgeable. 
  • Options
    good advice, @varimama.  I've never attended a LLL meeting either, good to know - I've seen the literature about it, I just never took the plunge and went.    with DD, they helped you out at the hospital and that was it.... I have to say, with insurance now covering a visit to a lactation nurse after birth, that helped me tremendously with DS.    
  • Options
    Great feedback on the classes guys! Super helpful! I always wondered if Lamaze classes were like actually helpful or if they were just made for TV/movies HAHA. There are classes offered through my hospital so my husband and I plan to attend those. Is it weird if he goes with me to the breastfeeding one? 
  • Options
    @mrsc918 Nope, it is fine.  There may not be many other husbands there, but I think it could be helpful for him to learn about the different techniques and tips along with you.  The breastfeeding class at our hospital says it is for "expectant parents" and does not specify mothers only.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • Options
    @kailanae @varimama @silverhope @treetop19 @miss.sally @mrsc918

Thank you everyone who responded about Lamaze classes!!! :)  I appreciate all of your knowledge and advice! 

My hospital offers a small variety of classes, most of which are just one session each that last about 2 hours long, except for the Lamaze class that is a 6 hour course on a Saturday.  I felt like it was okay to start taking the smaller classes throughout November/December but I'd like the Lamaze class to be a bit closer to my due date. 

I've registered for all of the small classes (except for one called the Whys of Cries, which I definitely want to take but the last one listed for 2019 was October 15th, so I need to call and find out if they are going to offer it again in 2020 and sign up) and I still need to sign up for the Lamaze/Prepared Childbirth class, which I need to call about too and ask if they're offering one closer to my actual due date.  

My partner is going to attend all of the classes with me, and the classes we're signed up for so far are:
    - The Miracle of Birth
    - Taking Care of You
    - Baby Care Users' Manual
    - Living With Baby (Infant Safety)
    - Breastfeeding Basics

Now I'm a little concerned about the breastfeeding class because I really don't want them to be judgmental about formula feeding.  I know a lot of women who struggled with breastfeeding and ultimately chose formula instead, so I'm not sure I'd be interested in any formula bashing or guilt-trips into breastfeeding.  I know there are some LLL classes SOMEWHERE around my area because one of ladies who owns a daycare I am waitlisted for is a La Leche League Leader.  I should ask her for some resources.

Again, sincere thank you! <3 
  • Options
    Just an FYI, I found LLL to be very supportive/helpful during an early struggle with mastitis (which is straight up the worssssssssssst), but I do want to give a heads up that in my experience they are VERY VERY pro-BF (felt as if everyone at the meeting I attended was, like, tandem feeding three kids and I felt a bit put off by their reactions to my bringing up potentially using some formula when I was returning to work, etc) and I’m not positive you’d get a formula-friendly experience there. But who knows, probably depends on the community. I also found the lactation consult at the hospital SUPER helpful. I recommend requesting one regardless of whether you’re having “difficulty” or not, cos things do get more complicated once you leave the hospital for a bit as your boobs flood with seemingly four gallons of milk and try to explode (see mastitis comment above).