June 2020 Moms

Product spotlight - pillows / sleep gear

Any advice, any questions? 

Re: Product spotlight - pillows / sleep gear

• Last time around I did the snoogle but may go knock off this time. The snoogle ended up flattening before I gave birth anyways. Also think I may get it sooner than later. My lower back is already starting to hurt. How is this possible?? I'll only be ten weeks Monday.

Also sleeping bras. I tried to order some from Amazon and hate them. I'm was going to grab more of the target ones but they switched brands/styles. I'll see how long the one I found lasts but I know I need to get more. I'll probably just get what's in the spoiler.
  • I bought a giant U shaped pillow off amazon last time and I recommend to EVERYONE. Honestly might buy another one soon. Yes it may take up 75% of your bed but your partner can deal! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Last time I just put a pillow between my legs to help. Idk wtf I will do this time because DS sleeps in our bed and there’s no room. I’ve already started spending some nights on the couch or sending DH to the couch. My lower back kills already too. 
  • I hated pregnancy pillows. I had a body pillow, and that was fine, but 2 normal pillows work just as well tbh. Just need one behind my back sometimes.

~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• My pelvis is so unstable and apparently wide-set, so I end up needing two pillows thick no matter what. Plus head pillow, and a small wedge to help keep me up on side-works equally well under belly or back for me. But I have a mini snoogle stacked with another pillow. Body pillows aren't thick enough, and I have a hard time getting them to stay stacked when I turn over. 

Bras I have a hard time, as the pull over ones don't fit me well-small rib age wants a small or medium, but my breasts need a large or even extra large to cover them. I try to find some cheap ones super thin with hooks in back, in a 38DDD or similar, and then have to get out my sewing machine and shorten band. It's annoying, but better than nipples always falling out and being rubbed raw from side of cup, or spending way too much money on sleep bras. I spend enough on supportive ones for day.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just used two wedge pillows like these:

It allowed me to do multiple configurations and I didn’t feel like they took up the whole bed. Sometimes both would go behind me so I could be positioned back on a different part of my pelvis, sometimes one under the belly, one behind, etc. These also pack pretty small so it worked great since I was traveling a lot for work. And they’ve stored easily between pregnancies. 

As for sleep bras, I’m IBTC so I didn’t ever feel like I needed a sleep bra. I did wear nursing bra PP to hold nursing pads for leakage. So I’d maybe look at just getting a Bamboobies yoga bra to cover double duty. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • I'm about to buy 2 of the kindred bravely bras because they have a "medium busty" which actually encompasses my band and cup size and it goes up way past a D where a lot of bras stop. 
  • If anyone ever sees a 32H or 34G please send me a link. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • runwmusic said:
    Thanks! I probably should have mentioned I can only do nursing bars for the foreseeable future. In need of maybe 2 supportive under wire "real" daytime supportive and maybe 2 more flimsy soft single layer support fine for overnights. 

I will keep SOMA in mind for whenever I am no longer nursing!
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pourmeanothermocktail soma has nursing bras too 😊
  • @runwmusic I got an elomi nursing bra with underwire last time in a 34I but the had Gs and Hs too. It wont win any beauty contest but it was one of my favorite nursing bras. 
  • @kiki75 +1 to a wedge...I LOVED the Hiccapop wedge.  I couldn’t handle anything that took up bed space (nor could my husband but let’s be honest that that consideration was secondary).  Bonus that it’s been stored pretty small in my closet the last couple years.  I pulled it out last week to catch my bloat bump at night...probably a bit premature but 🤷‍♀️.
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• @kiki75 +1 to a wedge...I LOVED the Hiccapop wedge.  I couldn’t handle anything that took up bed space (nor could my husband but let’s be honest that that consideration was secondary).  Bonus that it’s been stored pretty small in my closet the last couple years.  I pulled it out last week to catch my bloat bump at night...probably a bit premature but 🤷‍♀️.
    I never put my wedge away after kid 1, so just been sleeping with it since December 2015. It's on baby number 3 now. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
    I never put my wedge away after kid 1, so just been sleeping with it since December 2015. It's on baby number 3 now. 
    Oooh interesting, do you use it the same in between pregnancies? (Asking to find out what I’ve been missing out on...)

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

Oooh interesting, do you use it the same in between pregnancies? (Asking to find out what I’ve been missing out on...)
    Pretty much. Depends on how I'm feeling, but I can tuck still under stomach (even when flat) and hold a pillow or stuffed animal to help keep from falling forward, or just tuck under lower back, and then can kinda lean back a little. I'm a forced side sleeper, my breasts and butt put my body in terrible discomfort on back or belly, but I tend to fall forward or back if I'm on my side. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • FigTreeMamaFigTreeMama member
    edited November 2019
    I used a Snoogle last time and liked it (DH was not a fan and said the Snoogle was trying to kick him out of bed, but he’s the one that got it for me). Haven’t needed it yet this time. 

I also remember reading as a FTM that it was very important to only sleep on your side and spending a lot of time during the first trimester worrying about that... pretty sure it actually makes no difference until you’re far enough along that you can’t really sleep any other way. This time I’m sleeping however I want as long as I can get some sleep. Not digging the insomnia lately. 
  • virginiahamvirginiaham member
    edited November 2019
    So the standard medical recommendation is to not lie on your back after 20 weeks because the weight of the uterus can compress a major vein that brings blood back to your heart...you’d have noticeable symptoms pretty much immediately if that happens.  Weirdly my midwife would always have me lay on my back when she was feeling around for baby even later on and I always just shifted my hips so I was leaning just a little to one side or the other, and never had any issues for those few minutes.

I was worried about it the first time around too...don’t freak out mamas!  It’s reassuring if you wake up without symptoms, realize you’re on your back and shift positions.  Just your body letting you know.

@FigTreeMama me too, also hating this insomnia.  I miss Advil PM.

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• @virginiaham edited my previous post to say in first trimester. I was worried about this at like 6 weeks pregnant last time because I read a bunch of articles that didn’t put the “after 20 weeks” qualifier into that information. So I’d desperately try not to lie on my back when I really didn’t need to be worrying about that yet. The things we go through as FTMs!