TTC After a Loss

When Should We Start?

mahoganniemahogannie member
edited October 2019 in TTC After a Loss
How soon should we start ttc after having our miscarriage?  How soon did you start?
We would like to start right away. We are both healthy and there were no complications with our miscarriage.

Re: When Should We Start?

• It's up to you and your partner, as well as your doctor's suggestions. They typically suggest you do not start trying until your HCG levels have gone back down to 0. You also may need to consider that your uterine lining may not be fully formed in the months right after a MC so doctors suggest at least 1 full normal cycle before trying again (meaning after the 2nd period you get after your MC is done).

With all that said, its ultimately up to you.
  • Definitely check with your doctor!  You must wait until hcg goes to 0. THEN you are usually benched 1-3 cycles depending on how far along you were and your doctor's medical opinion of your specific circumstances. I know theres a big pressure/feeling to try again right away, but its really better to sit out that extra cycle or two and be patient than to rush in and end up with bigger problems.

Also, make sure you are BOTH mentally/emotionally as well as physically ready to try again.

Finally, PLEASE temp! After MC your cycles can be crazy and it can take months and months for them to settle into a pattern, that may end up being a NEW for you pattern/norm. Temping is the ONLY way to know IF you O'd after MC and if you are possibly PG again or having a long and wonky cycle (even/especially if you've always been 'regular' before)
  • Loading the player...
  • Also, I'm taking it the ultrasound today didnt go well? If that's the case, I am sorry for your loss. My best advice at this point would be to make sure you take some time for YOURSELF!  You will have a lot to process and you'll still have the PG hormones in your system for a while which can exacerbate ALL the emotions that you'll be feeling.  *hugs* as you work your way through this...
  • Thank you so much.  No, my ultrasound results weren't good at all.  I'm devastated 
  • @mahogannie so sorry for your loss, and welcome. I would definitely check with your doctor about when you are ok to start trying again. And, like PP said above, take some time for yourself to think about when you feel like you’re ready to start again. Seems like you’re just at the beginning of it, and there’s a rollercoaster of emotions to come. Take care of yourself, first and foremost. 
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I’d reiterate taking the time you need. It does depend on what your doctor said but in my case - I was allowed to start trying after my period post-DNC both times. It obviously depends on your specific medical factors, but I do think that the biggest question is when is it ok for you and your partner to emotionally handle trying again?  

I’m sorry this is happening to you. 
  • I second everyones advice on listen to what your doctor says. I also want to add that ttc after a loss is more stressful than before. Hopefully your stay here is short. Sorry for your loss
  • Thank you everyone for your advice and support.
  • @mahogannie I don’t have any advice beyond what PP said, but I just wanted to say I’m sorry for your loss.
  • Studies show that for most cases, there isn’t any need / benefit to waiting. However, if a D&C is involved, docs often recommend waiting until your uterus has some time to heal. My RE suggested I get right back at it after my two most recent losses. I’m going to be 37 in March and have been trying for almost a year, so age / time is a factor too. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility