1st Trimester

Is it over?

mahoganniemahogannie member
edited October 2019 in 1st Trimester
Hello everyone, 
I'm new to the group.  I had my first ultrasound  on October 9th.  I measured 5 weeks and 5 days (no heart beat detected) .  I had a second ultrasound today (13 days later) and measured at 6 weeks and 2 days.  There was a large sac with a yolk sac inside, BUT no heart beat detected.  Has this happened to anyone, what was your outcome? I have no cramping or bleeding and my boobs are sensitive.  No nausea though.  I'm so worried.  Could the first ultrasound be off on measurements?  I'm not sure when my last period started which makes matters worse.  Any insight is appreciated.

Re: Is it over?

• Hello everyone, 
    I'm new to the group.  I had my first ultrasound  on October 9th.  I measured 5 weeks and 5 days (no heart beat detected) .  I had a second ultrasound today (13 days later) and measured at 6 weeks and 2 days.  There was a large sac with a yolk sac inside, BUT no heart beat detected.  Has this happened to anyone, what was your outcome? I have no cramping or bleeding and my boobs are sensitive.  No nausea though.  I'm so worried.  Could the first ultrasound be off on measurements?  I'm not sure when my last period started which makes matters worse.  Any insight is appreciated.
    Honestly, you need to call your doctor office and ask them. They will be able to pull up the reports and give you better information.  
  • What did your doctor say at the second ultrasound appointment?  They should've given you SOME information as to whether or not they were concerned, if the PG was progressing in a way that seemed fine to them, etc. Usually you won't see a heartbeat until closer to 7 weeks, so that's not abnormal. 

I agree with @harpseal135 , if you are concerned and you feel your doctor did not explicitly say if they were concerned or ok with the progression of your PG, then you need to call them and ask them. They really should've told you something...
  • Loading the player...
  • OP - Did they run any bloodwork to measure your HCG levels? Also, what type of ultrasound did they do (transvaginal, transabdominal)? An ultrasound alone may not provide as much insight into your pregnancy, especially if you weren't able to provide them with the date of your LMP. 
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• It was a transvaginal ultrasound.  The doctor is concerned because of the gestational age with my first ultrasound was 5 weeks and 5 days.  She says my second ultrasound should show the baby is 7 weeks...but it doesn't.  She says I can wait and see.  Now that I'm home, my mind is flooded with questions.  We really wanted this baby.
  • No blood work to check my HCG levels was done.  I plan on asking for that when the doctor office opens this morning.
  • @mahogannie I'm so sorry you're going through this. 

TW
    I am not a medical professional and even if I were, the only information I have to go off of is what you wrote here. But, it doesn't sound promising to me. If it were the difference of say only 10 days' growth in 13 days, I'd say that maybe the measurements are off. They're so tiny at that gestation. But since they were only able to measure about 4 days worth of growth after 13, I'd try to stay somewhat hopeful but I'd prepare myself for the worst. I know it's so hard to lose a wanted pregnancy. I would take some time to digest everything that your doctor has told you, I think doing a series of HCG draws to see what that's doing (typically they'll do them a couple days apart to see how the numbers compare) is a good idea, and I wouldn't make any permanent decisions until I felt 100% certain. Unless there is an imminent risk to you, there's no need to rush into any choices. It sounds like your doctor isn't trying to rush you, which is great. Did she mention coming back for another ultrasound?

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • @mahogannie So sorry to hear this, that's so stressful and upsetting. I would ask your doctor to write you two requisitions to check your hcg levels and get them done 48 hours apart to see if your hcg is still climbing. I would also request another ultrasound maybe in a week or so. Hoping that everything works out for you. Keep us updated xo 
  • I agree with @lookonthesunnyside.  Request the blood work to check your hCG levels and schedule another ultrasound. 
  • Thank you all, they said that HCG levels testing won't be helpful. But they scheduled a full ultrasound for today.  The doctor says that that would be the best indicator. I concerned because I was thinking waiting some time before another ultrasound would be better.  I'm so confused and sad and worried. I'll keep you all posted.
  • @mahogannie Fingers crossed for good news!  It seems super weird to me that they don't want to test your hCG levels, but the ultrasound is at least a start.  *hugs*  Hang in there!
  • @mahogannie I’ve been thinking about you today. I hope your ultrasound went well today. And again, even if it didn’t look promising today, unless there is an immediate risk to you, it’s okay to give it more time to be certain.

*TW*
    When I had a MMC at 9 weeks, I was 100% certain of my dates and thanks to the ultrasound threads on the BMBs, I knew what a 8-9 week ultrasound should look like. Even with having solid data that I knew to be accurate that backed up the diagnosis, I did still have moments of panicked questioning, “What if it could have somehow been viable???” In those moments where I was grasping at straws it was hugely important that I had enough information to really coach myself through telling myself that it wasn’t and that I had made the right choice. If that is where this goes, and I do hope it isn’t, it’s important that you don’t have any doubt about the diagnosis. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18