February 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

jvk2012jvk2012 member
edited October 2019 in February 2020 Moms
This week’s product spotlight will be: Diaper Bags

• What did you use to carry baby's items when out and about? Backpack style or bag?
  • What do you keep in your diaper bag?
  • Do you keep extra diapers/wipes/clothes in your car all the time?
  • Any other tips or tricks?

Re: Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

• We have a backpack style bag and I would absolutely suggest a backpack over a bag.  It's hard enough to manage a baby/toddler and whatever other stuff you are trying to hold without worrying about a diaper bag slipping off your shoulder.

We keep extra diapers, wipes, diaper cream, Aquaphor, changes of clothes for baby, burp cloths, some form of entertainment (depending on age).  Then when we go out I make sure we have whatever she needs for eating (formula/bottles, snacks, bibs, spoons, etc) depending on the age and where/when we were going.

I have a bag in my car with a change of clothes, diapers, wipes, and a blanket in my car at all times.  As DD got older I often went out without her diaper bag for short trips but wanted to be prepared in case of emergency.
    • What did you use to carry baby's items when out and about? Backpack style! Better for your back, and easier to carry.
    • What do you keep in your diaper bag? Diapers, wipes, butt cream, changes of clothes, bibs, plastic grocery bag for dirty clothes, 3-slot formula container and a bottle of water when we started supplementing at 5 months, a few small toys as he got older, snacks when he was old enough, a small first aid kit (bandaids, nail clippers, etc)
    • Do you keep extra diapers/wipes/clothes in your car all the time? No, just bring the diaper bag. Wipes would freeze in my car in winter.
  • Loading the player...
    • What did you use to carry baby's items when out and about? Backpack style or bag? I have the Vera Bradley diaper backpack. As PP have said, backpack is the way to go 
    • What do you keep in your diaper bag? Change of clothes, a pop up book, diapers, wipes, a thing to lay him down on for changes in gross places, desitin, two plastic bags (in case of spiked clothing or being unable to find a garbage where I change him if need be), snacks, sippy cup
    • Do you keep extra diapers/wipes/clothes in your car all the time? Yes. And a towel to wipe down anything
    • What do you keep in your diaper bag? So if out and about in cloth I learned to use the all-in-twos. So I would have an extra cover, 2-3 extra snap inserts and if we were driving 2+ hours a soaker insert. If using disposables (we used them sometimes for long travel) I would pack 5-6 diapers in the bag and put the rest in the luggage. Also wipes, diaper cream, some toys if needed, extra set(s) of clothes, burp cloth, changing pad (not all places have changing tables!!) and some baby books. It's also smart to stick an extra shirt for you in if you have room. Once they are on solids it is key to have some snacks too. 
    • Do you keep extra diapers/wipes/clothes in your car all the time? No but I could see how that could be helpful.
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• I have a regular diaper bag from Pottery Barn Kids and I’ll be using it again. It’s not as easy as a backpack, but it holds ALL THE THINGS. I kept a small blanket, toys, bottles, pacifiers, changing pad, diapers, wipes, change of clothes, my wallet, keys, phone, and anything else in it. 

I always have wipes in my car. Sometimes a diaper or two, but since I carry the diaper bag everywhere for at least the first year, I wasn’t too worried since it’s always stocked. 

I have switched to using DS’ school backpack as his bag at this point, but I’m thinking I’ll just carry the one diaper bag once baby is here since I can probably fit everyone’s stuff in it. 

Definitely get a travel changing pad if your bag doesn’t come with one. Public bathroom changing stations are gross. And it helps if you need to change diapers in the back of your car (a towel also works). 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • So... here’s the thing about diaper bags IMO, they are very expensive and cheaply made. I was gifted a very nice backpack style diaper bag and it didn’t take long for it to be destroyed. I now use a regular backpack. It has many compartments that can be utilized for instance, the laptop pouch can be used to hold the changing pad cover and the small front pouch can be used to hold a small tube of diaper cream, chapstick, sun block etc. My backpack has held up for years and was much less expensive than the actual diaper bag. I always carry with me plastic grocery bags for poopy diapers, some sort of snack, a sippy cup, change of clothes, and of course diapers and wipes.

• @doodleoodle - so in CT they started taxing those plastic bags ($0.10) and will do away with them completely in a few years, I have a giant box full of them and we will see how long they will last :smile:  That is a great idea though. For people that do cloth they have washable diaper bags and I forgot to put that I keep one of those in there too!
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksil I would hoard those bad boys too if I were you! Anytime you go on a trip make sure you go grocery shopping lol
  • I'm pro backpack, too. We did end up getting a designated diaper bag (versus a generic backpack) which worked for us because I ended up EPing. It had insulated pockets that kept milk at the right temperature. BUT, I second what @doodleoodle said...diaper bags are definitely overpriced. I could have probably gotten a Jansport and a separate bottle tote to put in it for roughly the same price. 

In addition to the stuff already mentioned, we always kept the following on hand: 
    - an extra shirt for me. 
    - my pump and supplies 
    - a wet/dry bag. this was super useful for diaper blowouts, wet clothing, etc. It allowed us to keep soiled clothing from ruining everything else in the bag and we could just throw it in the wash when we got back home. Amazon has tons of them, which I definitely recommend for anyone cloth diapering or just wanting an option for soiled clothes. Now, we send one to daycare every day with my toddler.
    • What did you use to carry baby's items when out and about? Backpack style or bag? Neither and I was never into diaper bags. I always carried 1 clean diaper on me and that was it- anything more than an easy change required a walk back to the car.
    • What do you keep in your diaper bag? 1 clean diaper only with 1 clean wipe tucked inside and I'd stick it in my purse or in the pocket on the baby carrier. In the car I kept a changing mat, change of clothes, 2-3 more diapers, 3-5 cloth wipes, and a wet bag.
    • Do you keep extra diapers/wipes/clothes in your car all the time? Yes, still to this day- everyone has a pair of fresh undies in the car.
    • Any other tips or tricks? I hate carrying junk and like to "travel light". As with everything, diaper bags and almost everything in them is optional. Going places with just a diaper change on me and clothes in the car, it was rare we'd need to run to the car and no biggie when it came up. We've never had an outing ruined due to not having enough stuff on hand, but even in the event of a total disaster the worst that would happen would be needing to go home.
  • @craftywitch This is such a great point! I can count on one hand the number of times either of my children required a change of clothes while we were out. And if snacks/drinks are required I plop them in the stroller. The only time a diaper bag has really ever been necessary was when we had an all day outing such as Disney World.
  • @craftywitch you are a brave woman. I must have all the things. Hahaha 
  • craftywitchcraftywitch member
    edited October 2019
    @ibabyloveb87 I feel like I’m a hard pass on all baby products except breast pumps of which I believe in having 12... 
  • I got this bag for free from Australian coworkers. I had originally registered for a backpack style but can't complain about free.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• @craftywitch the one thing I don’t need 😂
  • @rikiteacup hey that is cute! 
    Married Jan 2008 

• https://www.target.com/p/path-travel-15-backpack-white/-/A-76487455

I was picked to do some product reviews, so in exchange for a review on Target, I get to keep the products.  Well I got this travel bag but it will be perfect for a diaper bag! Inside has two spots to hold drinks, aka bottles. It is waterproof on the inside. I am so excited it will be one less thing I have to buy and I think it is pretty cute!
  • @bg122785 how do you get selected to do product reviews?
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• @rikiteacup someone from my first BMB sent us all a link like 5 years ago and I signed up. I don't get emails too often anymore from the company but got one recently and got this.
    • What did you use to carry baby's items when out and about? Backpack style or bag? For this baby I bought a JuJuBe that can be crossbody or backpack. Best of both worlds! 
    • What do you keep in your diaper bag? Diapers, wipes, mini diaper rash cream (butt paste), mini hand sanitizer (honest spray), change of clothes for baby, snacks and water for my older 2. Stuff for restaurants once baby is older (disposable placemats, reusable flatware). Snacks for baby once baby is older. 
    • Do you keep extra diapers/wipes/clothes in your car all the time? Yepppp. Only takes one disaster and you’ll never forget again. 😂
    • Any other tips or tricks? Don’t overpack. Start with the basics and if you notice you consistently need something, add it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker