April 2020 Moms

Group 1 (April 1-8) Week of 10/14

Hi ladies - I didn’t see this check-in started yet, so here it is!

EDD/W+D: 

Team Finding out/pink/blue/green:

Baby is the size of a(n): 

Upcoming Appointments: 

How are you feeling? 

Raves/Rants: 

Questions: 

GTKY: What is your favorite book (or a book you have enjoyed recently) and why?

Re: Group 1 (April 1-8) Week of 10/14

• EDD/W+D:  April 1st, 16 weeks

Team Finding out/pink/blue/green: team blue!

Baby is the size of a(n): Dill pickle 🤣 I dont know why but to me that's such a funny thing to compare him to!

Upcoming Appointments: tomorrow for cervical length ultrasound with my midwife since I'm starting progesterone shots this week and Oct 21 for our anatomy scan with MFM

How are you feeling? so much better but tired. I've been trying to pick up extra shifts to save money for Christmas and nursery furniture and I'm pooped!

Raves/Rants: my birthday is next week and although I'm not super excited to get another year older, I just love to celebrate birthdays!

Questions: Anyone else still nervous? My BP has been a little high at every OB appt because I am just still so nervous. Seems with every pregnancy, I'm more anxious about baby's health.

GTKY: What is your favorite book (or a book you have enjoyed recently) and why? I loved Shari Lapena's The Couple Next Door because shocks and twists and turns come with every page. Really kept me in suspense and I love that in a book. She's one of my fave authors for now.
  • EDD/W+D: 16 weeks

Team pink 

Baby is the size of a(n): a jar of Nutella or a dill pickle 🤨 seems like two totally different sizes haha. 

Upcoming Appointments: 20 wk scan is November 14

How are you feeling? Physically really good - emotionally bummed about ongoing acne 

Raves/Rants: just returned from Chicago meeting my bffs 3 month old and it was such a fun and fulfilling time. It’s fun becoming parents at the same time as so many of my friends! 

My favorite book ever is Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. Such a beautiful combination of depth and humor. I think he is one of our best living authors. 

I also recently enjoyed Circe by Madeline Miller - a modern take on Greek Mythology. And I just finished Middlemarch by George Eliot which is absolutely worthy of its status as a true classic. 
  • Loading the player...
  • EDD/W+D: April 7 / 15w+1d

Team Finding out/pink/blue/green: finding out, but telling only our close circle (and you all of course!)

Baby is the size of a(n): navel orange (which seems crazy!)

Upcoming Appointments: October 23 for 16 weeks, November 19 anatomy scan

How are you feeling? I’m feeling mostly well - it was a difficult week with the loss of my father-in-law, and I’m feeling emotionally drained. I’m fortunate that the nausea and food aversions seem to have disappeared for now.  

Raves/Rants: I had the most awkward conversation with this woman at the funeral! While talking to my mother-in-law and me, she has the nerve to explain how grateful she is that she has a daughter because she has more direct access to her grandchildren, and then she asks if my mother is living. I was so shocked, I think I just laughed and said yes before excusing myself, but I wish I had said “If she wasn’t, this would be the worst possible time to ask that question.”

Questions: @mwill291 I am still anxious sometimes, but it doesn’t seem to affect my blood pressure. There have been some others on this board who have with high readings at appointments, and I believe some of their doctors let them monitor it at home to be sure it is just appointment induced. 

GTKY: I recently finishedWhere the Crawdads Sing. I was engaged the whole book, and I didn’t always know where it was heading. It makes you think about how we perceive others, the impact of isolation, and our justice system.

I can’t wait to read the books you ladies have suggested! Glad I included this GTKY! 😊

Also, a dill pickle is a funny comparison for some reason - it made me smile!
  • EDD/W+D: 15 weeks, Between April 3 and April 8 depending on who you talk to

Team Finding out/pink/blue/green: find out! Got our NIPT results back and I have the gender sealed in an envelope. We are having a small gender reveal for our families weekend after next and finding out then! 

Baby is the size of a(n): Magic 8 ball or a navel orange

Upcoming Appointments: 
    October 30th with the midwife 

How are you feeling? 
    Good! I’ve been having some headaches off and on. My belly is feeling tight and large. I’ve told everyone that we are expecting at this point! Secret is out! It’s nice to not have to hide it anymore 

Raves/Rants: excited to find out the gender in a week and a half! 

Questions: ?? 

I read Jodi Picoult’s  “Small Great Things” recently and really liked it. 
  • EDD/W+D: 15+3

Team Finding out/pink/blue/green: Team Pink! 

Baby is the size of a(n): Today the Bump app told me she's the size of a newborn baby bottle

Upcoming Appointments: 16 week checkup next Weds

How are you feeling? I'm feeling tired but not as tired as first tri and my nipples are dark and sensitive but besides that, feeling more like myself again. The only annoying thing is the stretching pains of the uterus and the lower back pain that has been greeting me in the mornings.

Raves/Rants: I started working from home on Wednesdays and Fridays and it has made SUCH a huge difference in my work/life balance. I have a really long commute (2 hours each way most days) so having those two days at home really does wonders for the psyche.

Questions: Not today!

GTKY: What is your favorite book (or a book you have enjoyed recently) and why? Favorite of all time is Little Women. It was the book that made me fall in love with reading and writing and I think a lot of the themes are still relevant today.
  • @mwill291 I definitely still get nervous, and more so right before appointments. I think a little nervousness and worry is natural, as long as it doesn't consume you.

@independentgeorge All of my best friends and my close cousins are either pregnant or have new babies and it's so wonderful to share in that joy together!

@jenabary I am so sorry for the loss of your father-in-law. How is your husband doing?

@babyrummom How exciting! What are your plans for the big reveal?

• EDD/W+D: April 7, 15+2

Team Finding out/pink/blue/green: finding out!

Baby is the size of a(n): I have no idea haha

Upcoming Appointments: just dawn the midwife yesterday and everything looks good!

How are you feeling? It’s been a rough few weeks (thus being MIA). DH’s grandma passed and we hadn’t to make a last minute trip back to Toronto, when I’d only been back to work a week. When we got home, Finn had caught a cold from his cousin, and of course passed it to all of us. By the time I got over the cold, it was Finn’s first birthday. Plus, I’ve been dealing with pregnancy headaches :(

Raves/Rants: See aboveboard for rants. Rave - just a bit before his birthday, Finn stopped night nursing, and is now sleeping either until 4:30 or so, or through the night!

Questions: 

GTKY: What is your favorite book (or a book you have enjoyed recently) and why? I just finished Flight Girls and it was awesome. It’s a historical fiction about female pilots in WWII
  • @mwill291 What do you have planned for your birthday?

@independentgeorge That’s awesome your babies will be close in age! 

@jenabary So sorry for your loss. And how inappropriate! 

@babyrummom Ugh, the headaches are the worst! So exciting that you have the reveal soon - I can’t believe you had the willpower not to peek!

@literatureandink That’s so great you can work from home a couple of days. What a brutal commute - will you have to go in all the way until you’re leave?
  • @Sailing_Mama I’m sorry about your rough week. Sounds like a tough one.  :/ I’ll go in until I can’t go in anymore. Luckily my company is super all about flexibility!
  • Lurking from group 4.  @Sailing_Mama Glad to see you back, I was thinking about you and was hoping everything was okay!  
  • EDD/W+D: 15+ 

Team Finding out/pink/blue/green: Finding out!

Baby is the size of a(n): orange 

Upcoming Appointments: Prenatal on Monday! 

How are you feeling? So much better minus the acne .. I feel ya @independentgeorge! I don’t even like looking in the mirror.. I’ve never had problems like this and it’s painful. 

Raves/ rants: see above! (Acne ugh )

Questions: Ideas for fun gender reveals !? 

Cant think of anything recently!! 
  • @literatureandink and @Sailing_Mama
    it’s been tough not to peek! Our reveal is going to be next weekend with my husband and my immediate families. I have a lady making us a cake that will have pink or blue in it. We are leaning toward a fall themed cake! 
  • jenabaryjenabary member
    edited October 2019
    @literatureandink Thank you for your kind words. My husband is hanging in there, but I’m sure it’s a long road ahead for him in his grief...

Also, so glad you have some flexibility in working from home! My commute is currently about an hour each way, but our office is moving about 10 minutes from my house in December and I can. not. wait!

@Sailing_Mama I appreciate your condolences. Sorry to hear about DH’s grandma - I’m sure that has been a tough loss as well, and then having a sick kiddo...ugh. I’m glad that your little one had now started sleeping mostly through the night though! That’s a major victory!

@kath1414 I’ve seen some friends throw balloons with paint at a canvas, which looked pretty fun! And I think you can’t go wrong with a food reveal like @babyrummom has planned. I’m not much for the pink or blues myself, so I’m trying to come up with an idea where I can print something like “he takes after his daddy” or “she gets it from her mama” and reveal it somehow - possibly making folks unscramble the letters? We plan to share with just close family at Thanksgiving.