May 2020 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions 10/13

Re: Weekly Questions 10/13

• Options
    Love the GIF. Toddler woke me up, so here I am. I had a c-section 15 months ago. I’m 10 weeks tomorrow. Feeling lots of pulling, soreness along / near the c-section scar. Actually feels a lot like when I was recovering from the c-section. I’m assuming it’s somehow related to my uterus growing and thins stretching, but so any prior c-section mamas have experience with this or feel this now? 
  • Options
    @adventuresawait2 My CS was 4 years ago, but I’m 11 weeks in two days and have had some weird stretching and pulling around my scar too. I had placenta previa with my last and part of the decision to wait for so long was due to the fact that the OB said there was a stronger likelihood of the placenta attaching to the scar tissue if I didn’t give it long enough to heal. Other than that she said it was normal to feel some pain in the area with the uterus growing and moving things around. I’m pretty sure the risk of placenta issues is more so for people who’ve previously had them, but maybe something to ask your doctor about too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @rox7777 Good to know! Glad it’s not just me.  Will def ask my dr. 
  • Options
    Last night i was showering and i looked down and I could visibly see almost muscle spasms above my belly button. I'm only 11 weeks so I know it wasn't baby- but could this be something like internal things moving around? From dr. google it was going on way too long for it to be gas IMO, and the explanation i liked was all the extra blood-flow that's going to that area of the body does cause something similar to muscle spasms- this happen to anyone else or any other guesses people want to throw in? It was very bizarre. For what's its worth I have normal BMI and my stomach is still flat/just normal bloating.
  • Options
    @zaslawlz I noticed this the other day too and was wondering if I was just seeing my own heartbeat, but was having trouble paying enough attention to figure out if it synced up!  I mostly blame my constant indigestion for everything.
  • Options
    @adventuresawait2 I had a c-section 17 months ago and have gotten incision pains off and on since then. Before I got my bfp it was pretty noticeable. It's died down some now, but I still get a twinge now and then. I'm only 7 weeks so I have sometime for it to start up more regularly to around when you are. 
  • Options
    @zaslawlz I second what @pirateduck said - it was probably your heart beat. Just like you said, there is a huge increase in your blood volume during pregnancy so that is probably why there was a noticeable difference.
  • Options
    Anyone have any favorite frozen meals? I don't normally buy frozen meals and there are so many choices, but they're really the only thing I've been able to cook and not want to throw it out once I'm done. For some reason the process of cooking is a huge aversion this time around, by the time it's done I just don't want it anymore. I'm trying to avoid excess carbs, but end up eating chips or crackers because the food I make I just can't eat. 

I've had good luck so far with innovasian chicken dishes with frozen rice, I have amy's kitchen enchiladas because I like those all the time and they don't have meat which is good for my meat aversion. 

I just wish I had cravings instead of aversions things would be so much easier. I'm currently forcing myself to eat because I know I'll be sicker if I don't, and I'm a big girl, I love food, so it's super hard to deal with. 
  • Options
    @jyhsmath we sometimes do the frozen skillet meals for fast and easy, Bertolli and Evol are the two brands we've found that our store carries that we like.  Evol has a few vegetarian options.
  • Options
    @jhysmath I’ve had nothing but aversions this pregnancy too. Absolutely no meat (previous pregnancies were just chicken). I’ve been living off cereal for weeks. 

DH likes the zatarains pasta skillet meals. I’m not sure how “healthy” they are, but they typically don’t bother me to cook. The frozen Asian chicken aisle usually has good options and I just eat the egg rolls and fried rice while everyone else has the chicken too. 
  • Options
    @jhysmath if you like making freezer meals, check out new leaf wellness. I ordered the cookbooks before my last baby and cooked a lot of the meals out of them. I liked the comprehensive grocery list. Took me like 3-4 hrs for like 10 meals and under $150. 
  • Options
    @adventuresawait2 I had my c-sections 17 months apart, and I had a lot of pulling aches and pains when pregnant the second time. Now I'm almost 6 years post-RCS and I'm having the same aches. It's totally normal.
  • Options
    @mamaqdubu I did New Leaf Wellness's Whole30 Crock Pot freezer meals and wasn't really a fan of most of them. I haven't tried anything else from them though.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
     @jhysmath I really enjoy chili frozen mainly because I can cook it in bulk. I also had really nice frozen asian shrimp dish. I'd marinate it in soy sauce, seasoning, and some veggies in there. You dump it in a skillet for about 10 minutes (when the shrimp turned pink) and i LOVED it. I'd usually pair this with rice I cook in bulk (or those minute rice little bowls).
  • Options
    Thank you guys, the make ahead stuff sounds good, but by the time I'm done making it I can't even look at it. Normally I love cooking and I'm great at meal prepping for the week and getting freezer meals together, but now I just can't and it sucks. I can't wait until later on when I actually want to eat again. 
  • Options
    stella_700stella_700 member
    edited October 2019
    @jhysmath maybe the answer is to have crackers, chips, veggies, hummus, cheese, and fruit for dinner. I'd start stocking up on healthier varieties of those things since that is what you can stomach right now. :(  It sucks that you are doing the work to feed your family and can't eat what you've prepared. Can you handle yogurt currently? That gives you another option for some protein. Tossing rinsed black beans, tomatoes, cheese, corn, avocado, and salsa together makes a quick meal also. I've had this a couple of times now. A decent canned tomato soup and a grill cheese sandwich might be a quick enough meal for you?

Meat is a no go for me right now, I tried to do my freezer meal meatballs this past weekend, DH had to do the mixing and the rolling. Couldn't do it. Then today my lunch meeting was catered barbecue. The only thing that saved me was to put a little bit of burt's bees chap stick under my nose and hope that smell toned down the smoked meat smell.

edited for spacing
  • Options
    @m6agua oh that’s disappointing! I’ve done the normal crock pot one, and the casserole one. Both of them were pretty good, not super healthy though (which is definitely the difference between the whole30 one I’m sure!) 
  • Options
    @stella_700 I think I would have barfed for the first time if everyone around me was eating BBQ. Tonight I had the frozen black bean enchilada and it worked pretty well. MH had to make dinner for him and dd of course hamburger was used and I had to open the kitchen window to survive it. I bought a bunch of soup to do grilled cheese and soup it was 60 today though and way too hot for soup. The black bean mix sounds yummy though, so you eat that on chips? 
  • Options
    I'm so glad to hear that everyone is having meat aversions. Over the past few weeks, I've noticed that I haven't been eating a lot of meat. Moreover, I have no desire to eat meat. It's been hard to get in enough protein but that's what yogurt, beans, nuts and cheese are for!
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • Options
    Okay so my question is about telling people at work.... I am the supervisor of 10 other people. I see my boss rarely (twice a year maybe?) and one of my employees keeps asking if I’m pregnant in rather inappropriate ways. The first time, I was feeling sick in the morning but not telling anyone and they were making a Panera run, I didn’t want anything but they got me something anyhow and sat it in front of me and I said thank you but I had to set it aside. When I moved it “for later” she shouted “omg when was your last period!” I said “I don’t know.... maybe the 8th (she didn’t know I meant the 8th of August). That was probably a month ago. Then last weekend we were working again and we were ordering from BW3s and I didn’t want wings, I just wanted fried mushrooms. She said “I swear if you’re pregnant...” and I said “I promise you that I would know if I was pregnant before you would.” She said something like well “you better not be.” Then the very next morning I was having a really rough morning so I decided to tell them I wasn’t feeling well because I could tell I was so off. And she goes “omg you have all the symptoms of being pregnant! I knew my cousin was pregnant before she did. I swear, I can’t handle anyone in here being pregnant.” I lied this time and straight up said I was not. 

I didnt want to tell work until like December. I am not planning to tell family until thanksgiving. I am plus sized and don’t think I’ll show for awhile yet even though I am so bloated. Do I say something like “what would be so wrong if I was pregnant? Why would you be so bothered be me bringing another child into this world? How would you feel about it?” Do I just keep lying? Do I keep avoiding? Should I bring it up to her in private? (I don’t want to bring it up to her btw but I’m thinking about it) 
  • Options
    @JStill0603 If this is an employee, I think I would tell her that her continued comments are inappropriate, unprofessional, and not appreciated. This sounds like maybe a very casual, relaxed work environment, but she is still crossing a line. 
  • Options
    @jhysmath Chips would work but I like it with still warm tortillas and a squirt of lime or cilantro dressing.

@JStill0603 She needs to be sat down and informed that her behavior is extremely inappropriate. I don’t think you have to confirm your situation to her while doing it. Is she one of your direct reports? If she’s behaving this way with you as her boss, how’s she talking to other employees? Dollars to donuts she’s bothering others about things also.
  • Options
    @JStill0603 I agree that you should have a conversation about being professional in the workplace. Even if you have a good working relationship, conversations about “when was your last period” and implying that you are pregnant are not appropriate within the workplace. 

Side note... if she swears that you’re pregnant, why would she outright say that she would have a problem with it? She’s obviously right and that’s incredibly insensitive to say. Not her uterus, not her problem 🤷🏾‍♀️
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • Options
    @JStill0603 they have good advice above me but seriously wtf. Work is not the time, not the place. She can shove it.
  • Options
    @JStill0603 I would totally passive aggressive and see if HR has any “required training” your team can take about tolerance and professionalism in the workplace, and then afterwards tell her privately and ask her how she feels about the way she’s been acting towards you maybe being pregnant and the other things she had said. Use it as a learning experience for her, but also make sure she doesn’t just get a pass. 
  • Options
    @JStill0603 I have nothing to add that hasn’t already been said, but she is being super rude and unprofessional, especially if she is one of your direct reports.
  • Options
    @JStill0603 you shouldn’t have tell work early just because someone is being super inappropriate. I agree with all of the above. She is behaving very unprofessionally and I can’t imagine when I was a bank manager one of my employees asking me when my last period was. That is very far across the line. And it was a super casual work environment where we were all “friends” and got along really well. Like I would have lost my crap all over that person and have called corporate HR to have a conversation with them about it. That’s verging on harassment to me too if she continues to bring it up. 
  • Options
    What are opinions on a group practice where you rotate through versus having one specific doctor? The doctor I was referred to is a group practice, and at first glance I was okay with that but I'm starting to feel uneasy.
  • Options
    louessbee said:
    What are opinions on a group practice where you rotate through versus having one specific doctor? The doctor I was referred to is a group practice, and at first glance I was okay with that but I'm starting to feel uneasy.
    My practice is quite like this.  I can request a specific doctor for appointments if I want and schedule accordingly.  When it comes time to deliver I will get whoever is on call that day.  I feel like I should have at least one appointment with each of them first to at least meet them ahead of time so I am at least somewhat comfortable with all of them, but will probably still schedule most of my appointments with my favorite doctor, or at least the big/important appointments.
  • Options
    @louessbee perhaps how many doctors are in your group will impact how well you are able to get to know any of them too.
  • Options
    @louessbee My OB practice kind of does that. If you have a preference, they'll attempt to keep you with that one, but it's not a guarantee. My last pregnancy, I saw just about every OB, midwife, and PA because my primary OB was delivering babies constantly my last trimester, so they'd bump me to the next available person rather than reschedule appointments. I didn't mind it, as I was low-risk, was having an RCS, and all my info is on their laptops, so it never felt like a stranger was going to deliver my baby. If you encounter one through the rotation you aren't comfortable with, you can have a note put in to exclude seeing that doctor when you make your next appointment.
  • Options
    @louessbee You're having twins, right? Are they identical or fraternal? I'd be kind of nervous not seeing the same doctor for a twin pregnancy. Di-di twins are lower risk, but still, I think I'd want one main doctor, if possible.
  • Options
    @louessbee For my last pregnancy I saw just my OB the entire time, with the exception of seeing a couple other nurses/CMW/OB's for last minute added appointments. At birth you get whichever OB is the one on call, which wasn't mine. Realistically the doctor wasn't really in the delivery room except for 5 minutes to catch the baby and I don't remember him being there at all as I was in my own world. It was really nice to have my doctor/a familiar face be there for the post delivery visit at the hospital the next day.

This time around I am thinking about using the CNM, which means that I will rotate through all 4 of them throughout. But I may end up with the OB at the end if I get diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Then I think I will just go with my same OB again since I really like her and with the OB not really being present for most of the birth, it really doesn't matter.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    @louessbee at our hospital you either rotate through 3 cnms or 2 obs. I loved all my cnms so I didn't have a problem with it, in my last bmb someone had a very negative experience with one of the obs they had to rotate through and it made her want to switch practices half way through. 
  • Options
    @ruby696 They're di-di, and I'm an anxious human being. I might ask them how often they handle twin pregnancies.

They want to rotate appointments so I meet all the doctors, which I think is good. I'm glad to hear this is relatively common. I'll see how it feels tomorrow and maybe rethink.
  • Options
    @louessbee I'm sure they'll take great care of you. My twins are di-di too, and I'm going to use my CNM instead of an OB, for as long as she feel comfortable. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice/support everyone. I think a sit down talk is overdue because if she randomly says something again, I may scream! 
  • Options
    @louessbee I have no experience with a twin pregnancy myself, but seeing the different doctors might make you more comfortable during delivery. Which might be nice if it turns high stress for you at the end. I personally don’t care for myself. I do prefer my one doctor but it was kind of nice getting different opinions on this pregnancy since my DD had IUGR. 
  • Options
    @louessbee also no twin pregnancy experience, but I have an OB office that has like 5 doctors and 3 CNM's on staff. I rotate between all of them during appts, but I know them all at this point (after 2 pregnancies), so I try to schedule most of my appts with my favorite one. I will say there's benefit to recognizing the doctor delivering, even if it was only from an appt or 2. If you see only one OB, and the dr on call isn't that OB you might see an OB from a completely different practice (depending on the hospital). I liked that I was guaranteed to recognize the OB, and the entire staff had very similar strategies, methodologies, and objectives for birth so I could talk about that throughout pregnancy. And what I mean by that are things like how long you're able to labor after water breaks before starting pitocin, if they will break water to speed up labor before pitocin (I had that done and it worked wonderfully without intervention), if you're able to labor in a bathtub (I did, not birth but for a few hours in labor @ the hospital), options for pain relief, options for interventions, etc. Sorry for the lengthy and detailed response, but just wanted to put my thought process out there. 
  • Options
    My back has started to hurt at night. Is there a certain type/shape of pregnancy pillow that is best suited for back support?