May 2020 Moms

Appointments | October

Re: Appointments | October

• Just got out of my intake US/appt. Will do the routine prenatal panel + NIPT in a couple weeks and my next appt will be an US/appt on 10/30. So far so good so I feel a little better! I do have a small amount of blood pooled on my cervix. They said it isn’t an SCH but rather implantation bleeding that hasn’t come out? I hadn’t heard of that but they said don’t be too alarmed if I start spotting and were surprised I hadn’t already. I told them I would probably be terrified anyway. 😂
  • @rachelg777 well a least if you start spotting you will know it’s probably okay? Looks like a good US and I’m glad you already know you’ll get another—although the 30th seems so far away. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mdfarmchick yeah it is definitely nice to have a little forewarning! 
  • I would totally go for the group appointments. I never had any questions for my midwife and pretty much just wanted to go to hear the heartbeat. Most of the appointments were pretty boring. Once the babies started moving, I didn't need to hear the heartbeat for peach of mind anymore. I guess if you are a person who shows up with a list of questions and has possible medical issues the group thing wouldn't work. I would love to sit around and BS with a group of moms like that though! I mean, that's why I'm here. When I have a question, I usually forget by the time I get to the midwife or I look it up myself.
    #1 DS 12/13/14
    #2 DD 7/1/17
    EDD 2/29/20 MC 7/19/19
    #3 EDD 5/29/19
  • @Amyface813 Exactly.  It's like an in-person BMB.  A lot of the time, something someone else said or asked would spark a question I wouldn't have thought of on my own.  But it's definitely not for everyone, that's for sure!
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @pirateduck I think it sounds like you should call your provider and ask all these questions that you have. I’m sure it’s a generalized approach that is similar from provider to provider but I’d hate for you to have your expectations to be what other people have experienced when your office may do something slightly different. 

I think your questions about more details on what to expect are very valid. Also, if you have a history of IF and loss, then they may want some personal time with you anyway. 
  • Yesterday was my first US and I was so anxious, but all went well! Easily saw that amazing flickering heartbeat and listened to it too. I met my OB&she was wonderful, took so many pics for us! A lot was put to ease:)

The “bad news” is she said baby is tiny so I’m actually 7 weeks instead of 8. I’ve felt so upset about it! I’m a very anxious person& am counting down each week till I finish this first trimester and now feel like I have to do week 7 of worrying all over. I know it’s such a small thing&I am so grateful for evidence baby bean is good in there! I just have to vent about the week change because my husband doesn’t get it&Im just in a funk about it. Love that these boards can garner some empathy!
  • @KaylaSadie well that’s a bummer but yay for a great heartbeat. ♥️ I know it’s hard to “repeat a week” but baby had a heartbeat and you got see them so in a few weeks, this will all be forgotten. 
  • @KaylaSadie I felt the exact same when I went in for my US a few weeks ago and my OB put me back a week. It's good you got to see baby and confirmed everything is looking well!
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • I have a week US tomorrow and I'm so nervous. FX everything is fine and I'll pass my last loss milestone.
  • @ruby696 I am hoping for a great ultrasound tomorrow. ♥️♥️
  • @ruby696 Fingers crossed for a great ultrasound today! I also have one today and am very very nervous. I'll be thinking of you.
  • @ruby696 good luck with the appt today! Everything is crossed and all the positive vibes are going to you and those two babes!
  • Good luck to you today @louessbee!

@mokay19 I was able to find a HB on the doppler last night, so that was super exciting! Hoping they're both on track.
  • @ruby696 without me searching anywhere, remind me how far along you are! I can’t wait to find my Doppler in the plethora of boxes haha 
  • @mokay19 I was 9 weeks exactly last night and the HB was strong and clear. Hopefully you can pick it up too!!
  • @ruby696 and @louessbee Hoping for great appointments for you both. : )
  • I had my first appointment.   It was really uneventful.   I spoke to the doctor about uploading my results in the electronic chart.  Hopefully, my wishes will be respected.

They scheduled my first ultrasound in 2 weeks.  DH is going to try and work a half day so he can join.  I want him there whether things go well or not.  

I've been taking a break from most baby related things until after the ultrasound.   My other doctor reconfirmed that he won't be medicating me for my anxiety, so I'm just taking things easy.  

I'm glad things are going well here.  I haven't actually clicked on the thread, but it looks like there are lots of posts on the ultrasound thread,  which is great.  I'm happy for everyone.   
  • @adventuresawait2 Will the give you the option of induction for a vbac? When I had to have a c-section for DD being breech they discussed how long to wait until I get pregnant again to allow me to be a candidate for vbac, but they told me that I would have to go into labor naturally as they cannot augment labor for risk of uterine rupture. I'm worried I won't go into labor naturally, DD was born at 39 weeks and I wasn't even having an braxton hicks or anything yet. I also didn't "feel" ready to have a baby as in my head I figured I'd end up going to 42 weeks (3 of my colleagues had babies the previous year and each went at least a week over due, 2 went just about 2 weeks over due and got induced) so it just seemed so early at 39 weeks. 
  • @jhysmath DS was a c-section and labor started five days before my due date. DD was a VBAC (they're 18 mos apart, so I just made the VBAC cutoff) and she was five days after my due date. No intervention needed. You might go over, but hopefully not more than a week.
  • @ruby696
    I had GD last time and I'm assuming I will this time as well, they won't let me go past 40 weeks with GD for some reason. I haven't found much data out there for the reason this isn't allowed since looking this time so I'm going to be curious to ask them why this is and what I can do if it comes down to that. I'd really like to have a vbac and not deal with another c-section. I can't imagine being away from DD in the hospital for 3 days again. 

• @jhysmath That's interesting... you'd think as long as it was controlled, they would let you wait. I did the VBAC for the same reason. DS was so young, I didn't want to be away from him and I didn't want lifting restrictions. I hope you get your VBAC.
  • @ruby696 @jhysmath I think they don't want you to go past 39/40 weeks with GD because they don't want the baby to get too large and end up having blood sugar issues. I don't really know what sort of science/studies there are behind that thought and how old they are, but it just seems to be the "this is how we always do it" mentality. Last time around my OB was completely fine when we talked about letting me go late and wait until going into labor on my own. Then once it got closer she wanted to induce by 39 weeks because the baby seemed like it was getting large (8+lbs based on a visual inspection, with each hand at each end of my belly >insert eye roll<). My GD was completely diet controlled the whole time, my numbers never got bad and I never went on meds. I reluctantly scheduled and induction at 2 days before my due date because DH was worried and wanted to listen to the doctor, luckily I went into labor and had her the night before my scheduled induction. She was 7lbs 2oz only and no blood sugar issues!
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @adventuresawait2 @jhysmath I had a similar talk about a VBAC. DS1 was vaginal,
    but DS2 was CS due to placenta issues. OB said I can do VBAC but if I don’t go into labor by 40 weeks exactly it’s an automatic CS. They won’t induce for VBAC and they won’t let me go over 40. She said if I go into labor at 40 weeks with no complications I’m good. Both of my babies were early (38 and 36 weeks) and both big so I’m hopeful I can do VBAC. I also got the you’ve never birthed a big baby, if you’d make it to 40 weeks you might have a 9-10lb baby speech. DS1 was 6.13 at 38 weeks. DS2 was 7.1 at 36 weeks. 
  • @m6agua I got the big baby speech with no history of GD. DS2 measure big my whole pregnancy. They kept giving me speeches even though we knew I’d be a CS due to placenta issues. He was 7.1 at 36 weeks so he would have been big if I’d make it to my scheduled 39 weeks. BUT I don’t get the obsession with having to have a CS for a big baby. My hips are huge and did a vaginal with no issues for my first. I got the if you have a 40 weeker this time it might be huge and you might not want to VBAC speech.
  • We have a second US this afternoon. I'm excited to see baby again <3 if all goes well today, I'm hoping to convince H that we should start telling our families. I'm having a hard time keeping it a secret.
  • @m6agua my daughter was 7 lbs 2 oz too and I was completely diet controlled. At one of my first appointments my midwife did a pelvic exam and told me wow you have a pelvis for birthing children you can have any sized baby you want 😂
  • @rox7777 Interesting that they said you can’t go past 40 weeks. Would think you could go to 41 safely. My daughter was 9 lbs (!). I had a failed induction at 39 weeks due to high blood pressure. DD had been measuring 93rd percentile since 20 weeks. I know those estimates can sometimes be very off, but I don’t think I would attempt VBAC if that we’d the case again since I didn’t make it happen the first time and it was a pretty bad experience. Dr assessment after c-section was there was no way I could have done it. 

@jhysmath I forgot to ask if they would allow for induction or if I’d have to go into labor naturally. I will definitely ask next time. I forgot about the more time in the hospital -
    something to consider. 
  • I want to milk it and be in the hospital as long as possible before I'm sent home to fend for myself.  I feel that in the US people are often rushed out of the hospital before they are ready or before they should be (not just in childbirth).  It's not bad to have some extra TLC.
  • Exactly, @pirateduck. I'm using the nurses and nursery as much as possible, enjoying my time in the hospital, and I am blessed to have my parents close and my MIL and SIL will be flying out when baby comes, specifically to help take care of all 3 kids while I take my Percocet and sleep and heal. That mini vacation from #1 when I had #2 was so lovely. Does that make me a bad mom?
  • @pirateduck @thepretzelchick I think that’s totally fair! The hospital I went to last time was a stressful place and the nurses were not very nice, plus there was no nursery, so I guess more time in the hospital didn’t sound like an advantage. But if it is the way you describe, could be good! 😀 
  • @pirateduck I hated every second I'm in the hospital. The beds are uncomfortable, you can't sleep, people are constantly in and out 24/7, and babies don't sleep well in plexiglas tubs. At least mine didn't. I demanded to leave after two days with DS (c-section) and after one day with DD (VBAC). Of course, I had friends who loved it and stayed as long as possible, but they were also all about sending baby to the nursery so they could rest and I refuse to do that. 
  • hmm... the few times I've been in the hospital was after surgery for recovery and I was so drugged up I was pretty oblivious to what was going on.  If I didn't have someone feeding me and taking me to the bathroom I probably wouldn't have managed on my own.  The thought of going home and fending for myself was terrifying.
  • With my first we couldn’t wait to leave the hospital. With my second, we had a 3 day induction before I gave birth and I was thoroughly sick of people checking my vitals every hour and waking me up but I was so ridiculously exhausted I needed someone else to take the baby for a few hours so i could sleep. We stayed two full days instead of 24 hours because I was deliriously tired. I’d prefer to not do that again. Hospitals are not restful in my experience. 
  • @pirateduck You'll decide what works for you when the time comes. The nurses did help me the first day after my c-section, but I was pretty self reliant after that. Plus, MH was there. I don't take narcotic pain meds while breast feeding (no judgment to those who do - I'm just lucky to have a high pain tolerance), so I was clear headed after I slept for a few hours. Tired. But ready to be home in my pjs, in my own bed. 

So, off topic, but with DD I brought my own clothes to wear during labor and it made such a difference. I was so much more comfortable. I got a cheap (short) maxi shirt and a tshirt. It was so much better than the gown and i threw it away when I was done.  I highly recommend.
  • I'm not excited about a hospital stay, I spent 15 days with blood pressure issues at the end of the twins pregnancy. I'd love to try a VBAC with this pregnancy and head home quickly. My son was breech through every single appointment towards the end of the twin's pregnancy and I didn't want to risk both a vaginal and c-section birth. I still think it was the right call, I had an excellent recovery and had little to no incision pain.