April 2020 Moms

When to share with office!?

Hello mommas! I’m currently 13 weeks into my first pregnancy and wanting to know when you shared the news with your coworkers. I’ve already told a few that I’m very close to but nervous for the entire office to know! 

Re: When to share with office!?

• edited October 2019
    When you feel comfortable or can't hide it. I know people who told right away and I know people who waited 6+months.
    I know a lot if FTM aren't sure of this and even STM+ decided differently. 

Edited to add: make sure you say hi in the intro board if you haven't. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • I'm 12 weeks and struggling with this as well. As hard as it is I think I'm going to wait as long as possible, because there are a few who I know it will affect their interactions with me/perception of projects I should get.
  • Loading the player...
  • jenabaryjenabary member
    edited October 2019
    I have told one friend in the office, but I am not planning to tell my boss or anyone else until later this month (probably after the thumbs up at my 16 week appointment). Like @emibemily I don’t want it to influence my coworkers’ perceptions of me, so I’m holding off as long as I can. 

ETA: My work is also considering approving paid parental leave, and it will feel more personal if they say NO when they know I am pregnant. I would rather wait until they make their decision to share the news. I’m not showing much yet, so I think I can still hide it for a while. 
  • I dont necessarily have a specific time picked out, but do have a plan on how Im going to "announce" it (bring donuts with a sign on the inside about growing a belly lol). Anyway, we are mailing announcements to extended family tomorrow and then telling our close friends after that. My job doesn't really get affected by pregnancy until Im gone for the maternity leave (& thats unpaid right now buuut the union is attempting to get paid 12 weeks into effect next year, which would be AMAZING timing). 

So my point is that I will be telling them once all my important friends & family know. Plus we have a couple friends struggling with infertility that we are going to figure out how to gently tell before other close friends. It's so hard because we work with them too.  Hoping they takw it okay.
  • I plan to tell folks at work after my 16 week appointment as well. The bump is getting bigger each day. 
  • STM and my early bump is real. I stopped hiding it altogether after 2 people in the office asked. 

Also, I see you haven’t introduced yourself yet. Please do and jump in on the weekly threads so we can get to know you. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • I’m a FTM too. I actually told my chair before I told my parents. I’m at a new University and my chair was putting together the teaching schedule for the next semester. My due date is toward the end of the semester so it will affect my class. I wanted to tell her right away because I wanted to set the precedent that I’m transparent. I also didn’t want to spring it on her once she already finalized the schedule. 

I plan on telling the rest of my coworkers and students on Halloween, only for my own sanity. I feel like I’m lying anytime someone asks me “how are you?” I just want to be honest that I’m pregnant and some days I’m not so great. I also want to tell my students sooner than later because sometimes the hormones definitely impact my teaching ability (my mind is everywhere but class). 
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • I told our general manager pretty early (9 weeks, I think), because it might affect the timing of some things we're planning for the spring, but mostly because I was exhausted and nauseous and generally not doing a good job at work. I told a few of my staff that same week for the same reason. I've now told all the other managers and the rest of my staff (I'm 14 weeks). I'm not really planning to announce to the rest of the company, just let word spread naturally.
  • I told my office manager pretty early on (like 8 weeks) because I had to take all this last minute time off with appointments and ultrasounds. I have patients of my own (I’m a physical therapist), so it’s hard to schedule my appointments around that. I told my coworkers at my office at 12 weeks by baking some pumpkin baked goods and a sign about our pumpkin being due in April. I just told the rest of the therapy staff at our staff meeting this week (15 weeks). 
  • I told my boss very early - like 6 weeks - but that was because I had a ton of appointments/bloodwork required by my RE early on in the process and it affected my work schedule. I also have a really good relationship with her so I felt safe revealing it to her. I waited until after my first OBGYN appointment to tell the rest of the staff, which was at about 10 weeks. I work at a library, and we're a very tight knit team so I felt okay telling them what was going on and knew that if anything were to go wrong, they'd be essential in helping me through it as I spend so much time with them. 
  • edited October 2019
    Sharing today!! My main managers know, but no one else and probably 80% of the team has been with me through Kenzie and Spencer. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 That shirt is super cute. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • I told my boss and my two direct reports very early - around 6 weeks. I was having it rough with the morning sickness and fatigue, and all three knew that I was going through fertility treatments so it wasn't a stretch to tell them. 

I told my other reports around 14 weeks because we have a large seasonal staff who get laid off in October, and I'll be on leave when they return. 

I'm telling others as it comes up. My company is on the larger size and pretty family friendly - lots of parents here and in general good work life balance so I knew it wouldn't have much of an impact on how I would be treated.