January 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight 8/23: Diaper Bags

This week we are discussing diaper bags. 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite diaper bag(s):
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a diaper bag you didn’t use but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts:

For FTMs:
  • Diaper bag(s) you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Re: Product Spotlight 8/23: Diaper Bags

• Following this thread. My diaper bag was a gift from a friend, but I didn't like it, and then DH bought a cheap backpack one that I don't like either. This time I'm getting something that I like, but I haven't formulated what that is yet. 
  • kbrown2385kbrown2385 member
    edited August 2019
    • Favorite diaper bag(s): We used a fisher price backpack diaper bag with ds
    • Link/picture: https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/
    • fisher-price-reg-deluxe-fastfinder-backpack-
    • diaper-bag-in-black/1046181008
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $45
    • What you like about it: It has pockets for everything. I was able to keep everything organized so it was easily found. My favorite part was the wipe dispenser in the side pocket. I always had them within reach and is a necessity with the next diaper bag I get. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: nothing. It lasted for the 3 years we used it and probably would have kept going. 
    • Is there a diaper bag you didn’t use but are considering? Why?: I’ve always heard the jujube is great but spending $100 on a diaper bag is a little much for me. Although, the Harry Potter themed one is really calling my name 😆
    • Additional thoughts: I highly recommend a backpack. I had a traditional tote one at first and absolutely hated it falling off my shoulder everytime I bent down. The backpack helped me be hands free and I didn’t have to deal with the constant shoulder slipping. 
    Edit words
  • Loading the player...
    • Favorite diaper bag(s): we used a skip hop backpack diaper bag 
    • Link/picture: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AFQI456/ref=emc_b_5_i?th=1
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): not sure, it was a gift. 
    • What you like about it: Really like that it was a backpack, it also clipped onto the handle bars of the stroller. It wasn't girly looking so DH wouldn't mind carrying it too. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The zipper broke and that was annoying. 
    • Is there a diaper bag you didn’t use but are considering? Why?: Not sure, I want to look around more this time. I do want a backpack again. 
    • Additional thoughts:
  • @kbrown2385 I also started with the traditional messenger bag type at first and felt it was just too big and hard to carry. DH had picked it out.

Switched to a backpack style about 8 months ago and it's so much better! I'm not in love with the one we have, but don't know that I'm going to convince DH that I need a different one.
  • I had a traditional messenger bag with dd & it was fine & i liked it but am thinking a backpack to be able to be handsfree would be a better option this time. But I havnt even started looking for one yet 🤷🏻‍♀️
    • Diaper bag(s) you're interested in: HapTim backpack diaper bag 
    • Link/picture:  HapTim Multi-function Large Baby Diaper Bag Backpack W/Stroller Straps-Insulated Bottle Pockets-Changing Pad,Stylish & Durable(Dark Gray-5284) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M8LK3ET/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RHiyDbM2986X8
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $45-50
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: No specific questions but if anyone has used this I'd like to know what they think! I knew I wanted a backpack type bag and picked this based on reviews and overall look (none of the ones at Target appealed to me so I turned to Amazon). 
  • I looked at several diaper bags but I couldn't see what made it better than a non "diaper bag" bag with a lot of pockets. So I went outside the box and stuck with something I already love. I have a lug puddle jumper that I use as a gym bag and as a carry on when I travel. It's the best. Super lightweight and tons of pockets. My current once is pink and since I'm having a boy, I decided to get a more neutral one for the dedicated diaper bag. I ended up choosing the mini puddle jumper which has the same amount of pockets minus the shoe cubby and even more lightweight. And it was on clearance! Less than $40.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3306711/lug-mini-puddle-jumper-tote.jsp
  • My diaper bag was a hand-me-down “dad version” from my sister and is pretty worn out at this point, so we will be in the market for a new one. On the fence about getting a real diaper bag vs a backpack, but I like the options you all posted. 
  • With DS and DD, we used the free backpack that Enfamil gave out in the hospital (I found it vaguely funny that we never used a drop of formula, but the insulated bag was great for transporting bottles of breast milk ☺).

This time DH has decided to develop a "tactical diaper bag" that he can use for camping or trips after the baby is grown.  So now there's all this weird stuff on our Amazon registry for his "tactical diaper bag."  I'll likely make my own diaper bag using a bag we already have sitting around.  Haven't ever really understood the necessity of getting some special bag for it...
  • Can someone make me a diaper bag?? I legit can't find exactly what I want. I want a shoulder option, one that could be worn messenger style, so that I can dig into it quickly, and not have to pull it off my back and unzip it. But I hate how everything falls to the bottom of a tote-type bag. I want a slim designed tote, but instead of the big center "pocket", I want compartments that go from one side to the other. All the tote options just have inside side pockets. Oh well. This is what I put on my personal registry.

https://www.carters.com/s/Carters/carters-search-categories-onsite-search-diaper-bags/816523027253.html?cm_mmc=ip_Carters-_-Google-_-778407025-_-Accessories_816523027253&scid=scplp816523027253&sc_intid=816523027253&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjwnf7qBRAtEiwAseBO_KmRmMEnasbp0L4NPI9Yfy-cFi9BeXC6D8Eox232AvczDZi9FAwqlBoCQGsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It at least has 6 inside pockets and a slim design. 
  • @marebear15 do they sell bag organizing inserts that will fit? Something like this

• @kbrown2385 - OOOH! I didn't know those existed. I must go shop now!
    • Favorite diaper bag(s): JuJuBe BRB
    • Link/picture: https://www.jujube.com/collections/backpacks/products/be-right-back-geo
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $163 on the JuJuBe website but I got mine when they ran a sale. It took forever to get shipped but I paid maybe half that
    • What you like about it: it’s so comfortable and can hold a ton. It also has a lot of pockets which is great. And it’s machine washable. Oh and it doesn’t look like a diaper bag necessarily. I hate the ones with a wipes pocket on the side. I don’t know why but I can’t stand them. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: nothing 
    • Is there a diaper bag you didn’t use but are considering? Why?: the JuJuBe BFF
    • Additional thoughts:
  • @MrsJessS my diaper bag looks a lot like that, but it was $40 from Amazon. I'll have to see if I can find the link...
  • I am going with a different approach here, and endorsing the Diaper.Backpack for those of us who don't want a large shoulder bag. 
    • Favorite diaper bag(s):DadGear Backpack Diaper Bag 
    • Link/picture:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRXMJ7Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_x1XzDbDTQMVVK
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): ~100USD
    • What you like about it: I'm not a bag person. I like the convenience of being able to throw it on my back and continue. It won't slip down my shoulders, it doesn't topple the stroller when you take baby out. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Stuff sinks to the bottom, diapers get crumpled. 
    • Is there a diaper bag you didn’t use but are considering? Why?: N/A
    • Additional thoughts: This is a great unisex bag, and holds a lot. I used it with DS1 for literally years. Even after he was potty trained, it was still convenient for trips to Sea World, Renn Fests, etc. I actually threw away the old one right before becoming pregnant with this baby. (Face Palm)

• Anyone like any tote-type bags?? It looks like 5 out of the 6 recommendations have been for backpacks, and I hate the time it takes me to get a backpack off my back and unzip the right part of it to find what I need.
  • I am going to reuse the Diaper bag from DD1. I got a Better Life Bag. It is a company in Michigan that is owned and run by women, and they just celebrated 10 years in the business. The woman who started it hired women who needed to be taught a life skill, and are normally immigrants. What is nice about the bags is that you can choose the fabrics, leathers, if you want it to zip, if you want inside pockets, etc. The bag I got is called the "Emily". The bag costs $235, I know it is pricy. I got my last diaper bag 4 years ago, and it is still going strong. The other amazing thing with this company is that they will "remake" your bag. With my last back after 2 years of constant use it needed a facelift, so I sent the bag back and they "remade" the bag using the same leather, but new fabric for less than half the cost. Since then I have ordered other bags from them and am never unhappy with what I received! I would highly recommend anything from this company! Here is a link to their "Diaper Bag" page.

https://betterlifebags.com/collections/design-your-own/diaper

• @marebear15 I do. The lug puddle jumper I linked above is a tote style. The one I linked above might actually be out of stock but quick Google search will take you to other places to buy it if you wanted. 
  • Can I use a normal backpack as a diaper bag? I'm thinking of using one I own & just throw in a lunch bag if it's necessary. 
  • @ang3lbb you can use whatever you want! I have a few friends who did.
  • @marebear15 I wanted to use a tote bag last time, but DH refused. He only wanted a messenger bag and I didn't want two bags. I really like the accessibility of the tote. I just struggle with having it over my shoulder when I use the carrier. The straps interfere with each other. It's part of why I switched to a backpack.
  • @ang3lbb, you can, but I'd recommend one with plenty of compartments and side pockets so you can keep everything organized...you know, thanks for that question. I think I might use my Captain America Back-Pack. You just saved us 100 bucks, 

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Captain-America-Herringbone-Backpack/dp/B0733MWQJX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=LMEHAFUN61M0&keywords=captain+america+backpack&qid=1567177112&s=gateway&sprefix=captain+america+ba%2Caps%2C357&sr=8-1

• I’m kinda in love with this diaper back. It can convert into a tote, messenger bag or backpack depending how you use the straps. 

I dont love love the price point on it though and feel ridiculous for wanting a $200 diaper bag. Ooo and they have a Harry Potter print on amazon 🙈

https://www.jujube.com/products/b-f-f-diaper-bag-sakura-at-dusk?variant=14152669003842&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paid-social&utm_campaign=warm&utm_term=dpa&utm_content=view-content-10d
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • @stashattack I was so close to getting the Harry Potter one 😬. I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a diaper bag though. 
  • I finally decided on a diaper bag. It has all sorts of pockets that fill my need for organization, 5 pockets for bottles and an external wipes pocket for easy access. Plus i like how it looks and Dh won’t complain wearing it lol.

https://www.target.com/p/eddie-bauer-backpack-gray-tan/-/A-75570463
  • @kbrown2385 we looked at this one too! My only complaint with it when we looked at it was that the cutie pocket was on the side and I liked the front but so minor! Beautiful bag!
  • @stashattack I absolutely love that diaper bag. I figure since I’m barely getting anything new for this pregnancy it may be worth a splurge for that.
  • @EmilyE13 I actually scooped a lightly used one off poshmark for $45 shipped. I'm super happy with it!! I'm so glad I found one for a reasonable price!!
  • @stashattack - I love Poshmark! I got a nursing cover/carseat cover for DD1 for 1/3 of the cost. You can get such great deals.
  • @marebear15 I'm rediscovering my love for it. I haven't been on it in a hot second. I might do some more hunting on poshmark for other baby stuff as we get closer to the due date.
  • @brimarie91.  With my first I started with a second hand messenger bag style and the front clasp broke.  I saw the haptim bag on an Amazon day deal and I love it, wish I had it from the start.  I have a different print then what's available now but it looks like the same features in the bag.  Enough internal sections to keep things organized, the opening at the top is structured so it stays open.  I could see the need for a small cooler if you're transporting milk/formula but I'd imagine a small one would fit.  I already had a bigger changing pad that I had bought separately and now that my daughter is 2 I still prefer the seperate one.  The pad that comes with it would work fine for a newborn/infant.