June 2020 Moms

Product spotlight wo 10/7 baby carriers

Starting off with baby carriers! 

Ftm any questions? Stm any advice? 

Re: Product spotlight wo 10/7 baby carriers

• I love our lillebaby. It adjusts as baby positioning needs to change and distributes weight nicely. Link to the one I have in spoiler. 

My one regret was not getting suck pads (attach to the straps and front of the carrier. The point being they are removable and easily washable) to go with it from the start. Now I think it's a waste of money until the next baby is almost here.

LILLEbaby The Complete All Seasons SIX-Position, 360° Ergonomic Baby & Child Carrier, Stone - Cotton https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC4VPNU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sk6MDb1M61J0X

• I absolutely love my Ergo360.  Tried the baby ktan but couldn't get comfortable with it.  My ergo has been used through two kids from them being a newborn straight through to 18 months.  It's worth the investment! 
    *No reason to buy the additional newborn insert.  Just throw a few recieving blankets in there and it works just fine! 🤣

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I love ring slings for smaller/younger babies. I'm a tula girl for the back. I'm not as big of a fan as wearing them on the front as it really hurts my back to wear on the front. I did have a different carrier that I wore that was facing out on the front that I liked. No idea of the name. It was a product I was asked to test and provide a review for. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I still have my old Tula.
    Is Tula still around?
    Honestly, I could take it or leave it - mostly I used the stroller w/ Emma. Or carried her. It was just so hot when she was a teeny
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• @runwmusic Lillebaby just came out with a new carrier that has three seat positions so you can back carry earlier (a narrow, middle and wide seat). 

I like Lillebaby and Ergo carriers! I also have a Wildbird sling carrier but barely used it with my first. Hope to get more use out of it this time around!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We still have both my lillebaby and my DH ergo with the infant insert, we never did learn how to successfully use it.  I may have a wrap still, always wanted a Tula, they are so cute and have some good sales throughout the year. 
  • I had a babybjorn miracle, which was super easy to put on but wasn’t great as she got heavier. It worked better for my husband as well, which I’ve heard from some people. We then got a Lillebaby 6 in one which I really like- but have not tried with a little baby. I’d probably use that one this time but need to master putting it on without help ha. We used the carriers A TON. My daughter hated the bassinet in the stroller so we ended up just carrying her everywhere. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @hayhay87-2 watch some you tube videos! I was nervous at first but once you get the motion down you can easily get them in and out with no help. My son went through some phases of not allowing us to put him down. The lillebaby saved my back. I couldn't imagine not having it!

I do want to try a ring sling just because of how small they pack but they make me nervous! 
  • just looked at the lillebaby linked by @runwmusic, anyone try the hip position?
    what age did you stop using the carrier?
  • @thumper61 I haven't done the hip position but I still use the carrier on clingy days and ds is ten months. Since he can forward face in it, or be on my back I will keep using it for awhile still. 
  • I agree on going with either a dark colored carrier or the suck pads. I have a light blue of the same one. So much slobber. 

@thumper615 We haven’t necessarily stopped using it due to size or anything but did transition to a Kelty backpack for him for long walks especially over the summer since it creates more airflow between you. It gets steamy when you’re really walking & wearing one. 

Babywearing International shut down but a number of chapters just transitioned to being independent. They’ll often have meetings where you can see carriers in person and try them on, or check them out to try out, especially if you’re not an average shape so you can find one that fits you best. You can always join your local moms groups on Facebook while pregnant (just be forewarned that the group settings may allow people to see that you’re in it & posts, effectively announcing your pregnancy before you’re ready) to find out about local resources. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • @kiki7 unaverage shape! Yes! I should have mentioned I have a super short torso and lillebaby worked for me. I borrowed a friend's Chico thing she had when I was at her house and ds wouldn't be put down. It was awful. 
  • With my oldest I loved my Ergo but I practiced a lot and comfortable with my Moby wrap with my 2nd and it was amazing. I was so sad when she got too heavy for it and I had to switch back to the Ergo. 

Wraps are really intimidating at first but there’s a bunch of YouTube videos that can help! 
  • Something I learned with my first is that carriers aren’t necessarily one size fits all and it’s really helpful to try them on your body before purchasing.  My city has a local baby wearing group (former BWI chapter turned independent group) where parents and parents-to-be can attend meetings to test out or borrow different carriers to see what works best for them.  I’m petite and had a smaller-than-average baby so I found that the standard Ergo, Tula, Lillebaby, etc., weren’t a good fit for us but some less main stream brands were perfect.  It’s great to be able to test before you buy and actually love something!  I still wear my daughter fairly regularly at 2 years old.
  • I have a Tula free to grow that I love and used practically every day when DS was small. I still use it, and I also have a standard Tula I use now. I got a lillebaby a few months ago so I could wear him facing out, and I’ve only used it once so I think I’m going to sell it. It was too bulky for me I think. I also have 2 wild bird ring slings that I absolutely love and still use! DS is a huge snuggle bug so I wear him a lot. This time around I have been looking at the Sakura bloom scout carriers. My husband says absolutely no more so 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • I am selling a ktan active and a Infantino Mei Deh style carrier, but still using our Lille baby though only for back carries. I have a woven wrap too I love, but I'm too lazy to take time most of the time to get her up with it. Will change later in pregnancy, as my super short torso doesn't permit any SSC use after first trimester, I can't stand it at all. We do still occasionally put my 3 year old up, lol. But 1 year old is daily, to and from the bus stop.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had the ergo baby and while I liked it my daughter was not a fan of any carrier except my hands...sigh. Hoping the next one feels differently!
  • stacyd-2stacyd-2 member
    edited October 2019
    Agree with the ergo 360 love! I got the breathable version and I roll up a hand towel instead of buying the infant insert!
  • Any recommendations for double carrying? I want to be able to put DD on my back and new baby on my front! She will be about 19 months by the time baby 3 is here but she’s very petite so she probably won’t be more than 25lbs at that time. I used a woven wrap with DS but with 3 kids I don’t think I’ll really have the time for wrapping lol I just need something I can throw on and snap closed lol 

• @parkerscrunchymumma if it was me, I think I’d use either a SSC, onbuhimo, or mei tai for the back carry of the older child and then use either a ring sling or second SSC on the front.  The annoying thing about wearing two SSCs is all the competing buckles and straps but I know more than one woman who makes it work! 
  • I love a ring sling for little bitty babies. Easy to get on and off. When they get bigger I switch to my mei-tai. The one I use is by fidella. They call it a fly tai. It has drawstrings to make the carrier part smaller for little baby, then you can let it out as baby grows. Tula and ergo backpack style carriers are easy, but they killed my hips. Thats why I prefer my fly tai. I can tie it up higher on my waist, doesnt hurt my hips. 
  • kberm3 said:
    @parkerscrunchymumma if it was me, I think I’d use either a SSC, onbuhimo, or mei tai for the back carry of the older child and then use either a ring sling or second SSC on the front.  The annoying thing about wearing two SSCs is all the competing buckles and straps but I know more than one woman who makes it work! 
    That’s a much better idea!!  I’ve never owned a ring sling, would that be pretty easy with a newborn? I only ever used a wrap or a SSC so sorry if that’s kind of a silly question lol 

• Love our Lillebaby. 

Second what someone said about finding somewhere to try them all on. We went to a baby show, and H tried on a bunch of different ones. In the end the Lillebaby fit us both the best. I have done numerous hikes with lo in it! And breastfed while carrying her in it too! 

I have thought about adding a Tula to our baby stuff this time around too because the are so cute! 
  • just looked at the lillebaby linked by @runwmusic, anyone try the hip position?
    what age did you stop using the carrier?
    *lurker*

I have the Lillebaby, and I just used the hip carry for the first time a few weeks ago with my seven-month-old. I really liked it. She seemed to like it, too. It was easier to do things while having her in sight without having her square in front. (Although in general, I prefer on the back at this age.) 
  • I had an August baby last time and the moby was way too hot. I loved my ergo and will be using it again . I also have a ring sling that's OK especially for hip carrying. I did buy suck pads off Etsy for my ergo when DS was little and they saved my straps.  DS was a baby that felt like he needed to be carried ALL THE TIME so the Ergo was the only reason I ever got anything done.  
  • @parkerschewymumma I think a ring sling is great for a newborn!  It can take a sec to figure out how to tighten the rails for a nice snug fit but there are tons of videos out there that can help with that.  Once you figure out how to comfortably position and tighten everything it honestly offers super fast uppies for newborns through toddlers.
  • I'm a wovens mama. I started with a stretchy wrap when my DS was a couple months old (he was on the small side), and then we moved into wovens when he was about six months. I started back carries at 9 months, but I think that was mostly limited by my wrapping skills. He'll be two next month and we still wear often.  His dad prefers our lillebaby, which is great because it didn't end up working out for me. :) All of my wraps are easy care, so I don't fret about throwing them in the wash when life happens.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I tried hip position in on Lille, and I couldn't stand it. It was awkward on my short torso, and dug into my neck. Got help from a baby wearing group, but they couldn't fix it either, lol. I switch to almost exclusively back carries, in meh dei, SSC, or woven. 

Never liked stretchy wraps at any age. Haven't tried a ring sling, may borrow and try one with this baby. Especially if it means I can tandem wear more easily.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a solly wrap for infant use, and a Bjorn 360 air, as well as a Tula. I love wraps for the newborn phase. The Bjorn was the best overall, as it could do infant and it has buckles. It’s the easiest to put the baby in. And can front (facing in and out) and well as back Carry. Not a lot of carriers can do it all. The Tula was ok, but too difficult to put on when alone. It’s doable but not my favorite. 

I plan to buy a Sakura Bloom ring sling for newborn stage - probably in Theory (it’s their bamboo fabric), as well as their scout carrier for bigger infant stage. I bought a linen ring sling for my daughter at 2, when she was going through a clingy stage. I love it and it would be perfect for a baby, but want a softer fabric. 

My advice - a carrier is like a bra. Whatever fits your friend might not fit you. It’s very personal. If you don’t like the one you got, return it and get one that you like. Better yet, look up some events where ladies try on different carriers (it’s a real thing, although I’ve never been to one). 
  • @chaos-and-coffee Sakura bloom!!! Yes. They are amazing. Although I only have a ring sling and only used it at 2yo.  I plan to get a scout too! 
  • I recently got a wildbird ring sling and while it's definitely taking practice to get used to, I love it! I went with a single linen and my 10 month old fits in it without slipping. It's so much easier than carrying him on my hip when he's in a clingy phase. 
  • I'm desperately hoping this baby likes to be worn. DD didn't.... at. all. :( 
    I have a wrap for when they're tiny an both infant and toddler Tulas. I want to get a RS but not sure which brand. Maybe Wildbird?