February 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diapering & Accessories

This week’s product spotlight will be: Diapering & Accessories
  • Cloth or disposable diapers?  Why?
  • Special overnight diapers?
  • Where to dispose of your diapers (disposable) or how to remove poop and launder cloth diapers?
  • Brands of wipes?
  • Wipe warmers?
  • Diaper rash creams?
  • Specific changing table, changing table topper for a dresser, something else?
  • Any tips or tricks?
  • Anything else?

Re: Product Spotlight: Diapering & Accessories

• Cloth or disposable diapers?  Why? We did disposable. I work so being able to do tons of laundry wasn’t in the cards for me with my hours and my husbands hours. 
    • Special overnight diapers? Some kids need them but my kid never has. 
    • Where to dispose of your diapers (disposable) or how to remove poop and launder cloth diapers? We got the dekor plus. I think it hides the smell really well. 
    • Brands of wipes? Honestly this doesn’t matter so much what I use. Some kids can use anything. Some kids have extra sensitive skin. So this will depend on your kid. Don’t stock up on too many wipes until you know your kid. I buy in large refill quabtities. 
    • Wipe warmers? Nope. Not needed. 
    • Diaper rash creams? I use aquaphor and zinc oxide but again, every kid is different. My kid has only had diaper rash twice so we don’t use it very often. 
    • Specific changing table, changing table topper for a dresser, something else? Don’t get a changing table. What a waste- I giant piece of expensive furtive that you use for so short a time. We got the kekeroo changing peanut and put it on top of his bookcase. No changing pads needed. Wipes clean. Was super cheap. I love it. 
    • Any tips or tricks? Nah, it’s pretty easy. 
    • Anything else?
  • Cloth or disposable diapers?  Why?
    We did disposable diapers.  Yes I feel guilty about the amount of trash but I knew cloth diapering just was not going to be sustainable for us.  Did you know you're still supposed to spray off the poop into the toilet from a disposable diaper? I only recently learned that and definitely don't do that.

Special overnight diapers?
    When DD was little we would change diapers during MOTN bottle feeds so there was no need for an overnight diaper.  When she started sleeping longer stretches we did switch to overnight diapers and we now also use a diaper insert so she won't leak through her diaper overnight.

Where to dispose of your diapers (disposable) or how to remove poop and launder cloth diapers?
    We have a diaper genie which controls the smell pretty well.  I like not having to run poopy diapers outside constantly.

Brands of wipes?
    We use Water Wipes.  H was insistent we use wipes with as few added chemicals as possible.  Turns out DD also has sensitive skin so it works well for her.

Wipe warmers?
    Nope, never used one.

Diaper rash creams?
    Aquaphor is our go to and recommended by the pediatrician.  She rarely gets real diaper rashes but when she did we'd do a layer of Desitin and then Aquaphor over it.  Desitin does seem to sting though because she'd get very upset when we put it on compared to Aquaphor alone.

Specific changing table, changing table topper for a dresser, something else?
    We got a topper that screws onto her dresser.  No need for a separate piece of furniture.

Any tips or tricks?

Anything else?
    We used Pampers Swaddlers as a newborn and for maybe size 1 but mostly because we were given so many at my shower.  Then we switched to Costco diapers.  No need to have super fancy diapers, find what works for your kid and go with it.  And diaper brands definitely fit differently so there may be some trial and error to find what works for your baby.
  • Loading the player...
    • Cloth or disposable diapers?  Why? Cloth because it saves money, is eco friendly, and ridiculously cute.
    • Special overnight diapers? We used the Grovia ONE with my daughter 
    • Where to dispose of your diapers (disposable) or how to remove poop and launder cloth diapers? Dump poop and wash with Perisil
    • Brands of wipes? Huggies One and Done Cucumber and Green Tea
    • Wipe warmers? No
    • Diaper rash creams? Desitin 
    • Specific changing table, changing table topper for a dresser, something else? We just used a topper for dresser
    • Cloth or disposable diapers?  Why? Disposable; had planned on cloth but our initial daycare wouldn't use them, and it would have cost a ton to buy those plus disposables for during the day. And honestly I'm glad we didn't end up using cloth, I don't think there's any way I could have kept up on all of it, though I do hate all of the waste.
    • Special overnight diapers?  We use Target brand diapers and use their overnight ones too. It helps to go up a size for night diapers.
    • Where to dispose of your diapers (disposable) or how to remove poop and launder cloth diapers?  Dekor plus, it's nice because you can adjust the size of the bags so you can empty as soon as you need to.
    • Brands of wipes?  Kirkland/costco brand, way better than others we initially tried
    • Wipe warmers?  No, waste of money and unnecessary
    • Diaper rash creams?  Butt paste and aquaphor
    • Specific changing table, changing table topper for a dresser, something else?  Just put a foam changing pad on top of a dresser. If you're looking for a dressed we have LOVED this one, it's the perfect height for changing and has tons of storage.  https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-8-drawer-dresser-dark-gray-gray-stained-60381737/
    • Any tips or tricks?  Always keep a few diapers in the car!! I have forgotten to bring some many times and having them there saved me.
    • Cloth or disposable diapers?  Why? Cloth for the planet and for the savings. I worked full-time, sent DS to daycare, travelled nationally and internationally, and did cloth from birth until potty training. Totally doable!
    • Special overnight diapers? Nope just added 1 extra insert at night.
    • Where to dispose of your diapers (disposable) or how to remove poop and launder cloth diapers? While EBF, toss into washer. After solids we would plop anything solid, and toss the rest into the washer. Never did swishing or spraying or soaking or anything with yuck factor and they always came out of the washer clean.
    • Brands of wipes? Homemade! I sewed flannel and terrycloth into 6" squares and would wet them to use.
    • Wipe warmers? Nope.
    • Diaper rash creams? Coconut oil and naked tushy.
    • Specific changing table, changing table topper for a dresser, something else? Nope.
    • Any tips or tricks? We kept the travel changing pad and an extra change in the hatch back. Lots of places don't have diaper changing areas in their bathrooms.
    • Anything else? No special detergents needed. We used our regular Nellie's free and clear bulk detergent and that was always fine. To "strip" we'd just use the soak setting on the washer with hot water and vinegar, run the diapers normally, and then sun bleach outside.
    • Cloth or disposable diapers?  Why? We do disposable. In theory I would love to do cloth, but it just doesn’t work for us.
    • Where to dispose of your diapers? I think diaper genies are gross and a waste of money and space. Our diapers go straight outside in the garbage.
    • Brands of wipes? We use Target’s Up&Up brand for diapers and wipes. They work great and are less expensive than name brand. Also, I absolutely hate the texture of Huggies wipes.
    • Diaper rash creams? Boudreaux’s Butt Paste
    • Specific changing table, changing table topper for a dresser, something else? Changing tables are a waste of space and money. Just put a changing pad on a dresser!
    • Cloth or disposable diapers?  Why? I used disposable for DD1 and DD2. The initial yuck factor of scraping poop into the toilet grossed me out, but now I’ve gotten so familiar with poop and have heard about disposable liners that you can flush so I’m thinking of switching to cloth.
    • Where to dispose of your diapers? A Dekor diaper pail. Even when putting the poopy diapers into a grocery bag before throwing them out still leaves a stench. 
    • Brands of wipes? Huggies Natural. They’re the best quality and great for sensitive skin.
    • Diaper rash creams? Desitin. My girls have super sensitive skin and no matter how quickly they are changed they get a rash without cream being applied every time.
    • Specific changing table, changing table topper for a dresser, something else?+1 for a foam changing pad on top of a dresser
  • @daffodil_shoe I agree. I always keep some baby wipes in my drawers at work. I hate Huggies (got them on clearance for $1). They are so stiff compared to the Target Up&Up brand. 
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• Cloth or disposable diapers?  Why? - We are starting out with newborn disposables until she fits into the cloth diapers we already have. We did cloth diapers last time because of the environmental impact and to try to save $. I'm not sure we saved any money haha but using them a second time will help with that.
    • Special overnight diapers? - I like to use Grovia Ones for nighttime because they are aamazing.
    • Where to dispose of your diapers (disposable) or how to remove poop and launder cloth diapers? Since we will have an EBF baby we don't have to worry about disposing of poop yet. When we switch to solids if we are still in cloth (this will depend on daycare somewhat) we use liners so we can just plop the poop into the toilet. We have Decor diaper pails that work with both cloth diaper bags and diaper genie bags so use them both for cloth and disposable.
    • Brands of wipes? We use the Kirkland brand wipes from Costco, which we buy in bulk.
    • Wipe warmers? Waste of $ in my view.
    • Diaper rash creams? With cloth we have to use special diaper cream and I already forgot what it is called. With disposables I like to use Aquaphor or Butt Paste. At daycare I bring Desitin because they use SO MUCH.
    • Specific changing table, changing table topper for a dresser, something else? We had a hand-me-down changing table last time but this nursery is shorter on space so I am putting the change pad on top of the dresser this time. We also used the PNP changing pad a LOT for the first few months.
    • Any tips or tricks? Diapering is so much easier than you think. It was my husband's WORST fear when pregnant with my daughter. I had a cesarean so he was on diaper duty exclusively for the first week or so and was an old hand at it right away. 
    • Anything else?
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• @jvk2012 haha we use disposables at night now with DD1 and if she poops I do plop it into the toilet, but there is no spray going on - yuck! I never sprayed even with cloth diapers TBH.
    Married Jan 2008 

• @doodleoodle - be wary of "flushable" diaper liners! They may still clog your plumbing. I just throw them in the trash because I have enough plumbing problems :)

@craftywitch - YES SO ANNOYING how many establishments do not have changing tables or if they do only have them in the ladies' room. Why do they not think men change diapers? I agree to make sure you have a changing pad - I have had to change the baby many times on the bathroom floor (so gross).
    Married Jan 2008 

• @craftywitch @leksiL Yes. I can't even count the number of times I've changed diapers in the back of my car. Even some restrooms with changing tables are so gross I immediately head out to the car. 
  • @leksiL oh no! Thanks for the heads up!
  • For those cloth diapering mommas, how do you make all the time for the extra laundry? I was adding cloth diapers to my registry last night, because completion discounts are my favorite thing, and realized I had two loads of laundry waiting to be folded and no desire to do so. I’m exhausted and I’m not caring for a newborn. 

PS what do you all think of Alvababy cloth diapers? I was hoping not to go with pockets because I have read that stuffing them can be annoying, but they seem to be the least expensive option and have some cute prints.
  • @doodleoodle - it's a load of laundry every three days so not that bad. I also don't fold the diapers I just dump them into a bin. 
    Married Jan 2008 

• @doodleoodle, weirdly enough, I hate folding laundry, but didn’t mind stuffing diapers after washing. It was kind of therapeutic. I would mindlessly stuff while watching TV. Also, like @leksiL said, it’s a load of laundry every 2-3 days. 

I have a ton of Alva diapers, and they have always worked great for me.
  • DDRRT1982DDRRT1982 member
    edited October 2019
    • Cloth or disposable diapers?  Why?  I will probably do a combination of cloth and disposable.  I like Earth Best disposables.  Anything without elemental chlorine works for our family.  I do cloth for environment and reduce exposure to environmental toxins.
    • Special overnight diapers?  No, just disposable at night.  I have to sleep at night and we had too many leaks with cloth.  
    • Where to dispose of your diapers (disposable) or how to remove poop and launder cloth diapers?  I didn’t do cloth diapers initially because I was intimidated by the extra work, but honestly it’s super easy, especially during breastfeeding.
    • Brands of wipes?  I use homemade cloth and Kirkland disposable.  Again, I look to reduce waste and toxin exposure.  Kirkland brand wipes are cost effective with a reduction in many chemicals I try to avoid.  They aren’t perfect, but work.  
    • Wipe warmers? My hand will do.  I just ball it up to reduce the initial cold sting.  
    • Diaper rash creams?  Prevention is key, but my I use Boudreaux butt paste.  Just works the best for us. 
    • Specific changing table, changing table topper for a dresser, something else?  We use the six year old changing pad I had for DD1.  
    • Any tips or tricks?  Make sure the elastic band isn’t folded in.  Leaks usually happen from improper diaper application.  
    • Anything else?
  • @doodleoodle With a newborn I was home all day so I'd change him on top of the dryer, throw dirties directly into the washer, and run a load daily, grabbing clean stuff directly from the dryer to put on him. Basically during newborn phase the washer/dryer were my changing station and it was less work than emptying a diaper genie.

As he got older it got down to 2 loads of diaper laundry per week and as @leksiL said they don't need to be folded- just dump clean stuff into drawers/bin. The cute pre-stuffed photos you see online are for "likes". A real cloth diaper station is typically just a basket of jumbled everything you pull from as needed.

• SwiftletSwiftlet member
    edited December 2019
    Just letting everyone know that Target is having a deal right now where you get a $15 gift card if you spend $75 in diapers, wipes, etc. I was there to get some stuff off a friend's registry and bought some of the Target brand diapers and their wipes :)