June 2020 Moms

Spotting/Bleeding Support Thread (TW)

They have this on the May board, and I thought it might be a good idea -- feel free to holler at me if you think otherwise :)

This thread is to support anyone experiencing spotting and/or bleeding.

All conversation surrounding these issues should go here. The TW in the title applies for the whole thread. Please beware of reading ahead if you think you might be triggered by conversations about spotting/bleeding. 

Finally, remember that most of us are not medical professionals, and even if we were, it's always best to call/visit your doctor with questions or concerns. Feel free to ask questions and voice concerns, but please do not expect anyone here to be able to offer you anything but support.  The most important thing to do is to call your doctor. They can offer answers; we can offer support.
~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
Married: Oct 20, 2013
BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
EDD 1: May 12, 2016
DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
EDD 2: June 20, 2020

Re: Spotting/Bleeding Support Thread (TW)

• I had spotting last week and I thought it I was out.  Repeat betas showed that my HCG was going up nicely at the same time.  Just figured I would share in case anyone else deals with spotting. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Why can’t all of pregnancy just be like around, say, 22ish weeks? That sweet spot after the anatomy scan and all the other testing, you usually feel pretty decent, are usually looking actually pregnant in the cute way... First tri stress and feeling like garbage while trying to keep it all under wraps sucks. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Some more positive vibes, with my last pregnancy I had spotting almost the whole time, bright red with bowel movements.  So many factors like fibroids, polyps or small hematomas that are more common than people think. 
  • These comments help so much! Found out my husband and I are expecting a few days ago after I randomly tested after having some cramps and spotting. Had a pelvic exam and everything seemed okay. Going in for my first ultrasound next week since my hcg levels are around 1700. However today I woke up with heavier bleeding (didn't need to use a pad or anything). The bleeding has turned back to brown quickly but the cramping has gotten slightly worse. I'm not in pain though which makes me think it's okay? Advised by the call nurse to go to the er. So since my ultrasound appt is next week anyways, my husband and I decided against going since it's expensive and not much they could do to stop possible miscarriage anyways. 

Any advise on what to do or what to expect?
  • Yeah the cramping isn't too bad, nothing worse than a mild period. Trying not to freak out 😬
  • edited October 2019
    Yeah the cramping isn't too bad, nothing worse than a mild period. Trying not to freak out 😬
    It's hard, but I had even enough to gush out and fill a panty liner (not a full thickness pad) and then some with my son. But, he's 3 now, everything was fine!

Eta-I went to the ER with that, even though the cramping was super mild, and they totally scared me there. And, if it is bad news, there's nothing they can do anyway. I think staying home tonight makes sense. Hang in there!
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ladyscientist823 hope everything is OK. I had cramping that was extremely painful and spotting just before 4 weeks and did 3 hcg tests. I know how much waiting for those results sucks. Keep your head up and FX baby is doing great in there. 
  • @ladyscientist823 I feel you and being on edge. I’m sorry for you previous loss. I’m glad everything is looking good though and the embryo is measuring right on track. Yay, it gives me some hope. 
  • Awww @mindyb2019 that is a lot. I hope everything is ok <3

An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

• @saladflambe thanks girl ❤️ Me too. 
  • Hey!! First pregnancy and had brown discharge on and off from this past saturday up until yesterday. No cramping with it. I was suppose to have my first appointment today however the doctors office called just canceled. Is this something I should be worried about or is it normal. If I did the math right I should be at 6 weeks 4 days today.
  • @rocket2018 if it’s brown and not a lot I wouldn’t worry. Bright red, filling a pad and cramps would concern me and at that point I would go in. 
  • @rocket2018 That's totally normal, a lot of times as baby is burrowing/implanting deeper there's a bit of spotting like that. I've had it with my two kid's pregnancies.

@mindyb2019 Hugs. That's hard. I went through that once, at 4 am, with my son. They did a vaginal ultrasound, and there was safe baby (I was almost 10 weeks), but yeah, soaked a pad real fast. It was decided it was likely a small SCH-basically a placenta bleed. That baby potty trained last week. :) The waiting is so hard, but know that there IS still hope. The fact that the red stopped is great news. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you all!! Puts me at ease for now!!
  • @rocket2018 that sounds pretty similar to my recent experience. From all that I have read, it seems like brown spotting with no cramping is very normal in the 6-7 week range. Still, I would call your OB and let them know. They might decide it’s worth squeezing you in for some tests just to be sure everything is okay, which could help ease some your worries. 

@mindyb2019 that’s scary! I hope you’re hanging in there and get some answers soon. Bleeding and cramping is definitely a worrisome combination, but I’ve read lots of stories of women who experienced similar things and ended up okay. 

Keep us posted—we’re rooting for both of you!
  • Had some bright red bleeding yesterday. Got into for blood work and an ultrasound today. Saw a gestational sac and yolks sac and was measuring at 5 weeks 2 days instead of 6 weeks 4 days that I thought. They weren't concerned and want to see me back in a week. 
  • @mindyb2019 Hooray, great news!
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pourmeanothermocktail aww thanks girl. Hooray indeed. Much less anxiety on my side. Ps. I really like your user name lol 
  • Well, unfortunately I’m back on this board, with a story even more traumatic than before. 

Wednesday I went in for an ultrasound and saw an embryo measuring right on track and a strong heartbeat. My OB said everything looked great and didn’t really think I should worry about the spotting. Thursday evening I’m on the couch and I feel a gush of warm fluid between my legs. I immediately get up to go to the bathroom and, sure enough, it’s bright red blood. As I’m on the toilet, I pass a HUGE bright red blood clot—like the size of a lime. I continued to bleed for the rest of the night, although I only filled one pad over the entire night. I was so confused because the bleeding was so sudden and I had zero cramping. Not to mention I had just seen a healthy baby on my ultrasound the day before. 

I had read about similar experiences on other forums, and almost all of them seemed to be caused by a subchorionic hematoma (SCH). In a lot of cases, a follow up ultrasound showed the baby to be okay despite all the bleeding. So I told myself that it might not be over yet. I had a doctors appointment scheduled for the next morning anyways, so I figured I would wait until then rather than go to the ER. 

Friday morning comes around and my OB is able to squeeze me in for another ultrasound. The good news is that the embryo is still there and still has a strong heartbeat. The bad news is that I do have a SCH, which the ultrasound tech described as large and complex. When a woman has a small to medium SCH, studies have shown that the SCH does not increase her chances of a miscarriage; however, when the SCH is large, the odds of miscarriage are about 50/50. At this point my OB says that all we can do is wait and see what happens. 

When I saw the embryo with a heartbeat on Wednesday, I was so relieved and thought that my odds of miscarriage were only 5-10% at this point. It’s crazy (and frustrating) that within two days they have jumped back up to 50%. For all you other ladies who are also in that terrible limbo while waiting to see if everything will be fine, I feel for you and wish you all the best!
  • @ladyscientist823 with DS I had an SCH that came out in one huge bright red clot when I was about 10 weeks. I was terrified. Everything turned out okay though, and I hope that’s the case for you too! 
  • @ladyscientist823 oh no! Aww, I’m so sorry to hear this. Hugs❤️ Hang in there girl. I’m sending positive vibes your way. FX
  • @ladyscientist823 I’m sorry you’re going through this. Sending you all the positive vibes and healthy thoughts! Xox 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ladyscientist823 I’m so sorry you’re in this place. FX for you.   <3

TTC since Feb 2016
  • @ladyscientist823 Hugs. Crossing fingers it resolves quickly without any further bleeds. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ladyscientist823 oh how stressful :( I'm so sorry

• @ladyscientist823 I had a SCH with my last pregnancy around 14 weeks. I bled a lot for a day and it resolved itself within 10 days. Keeping my fx for you! 
  • Add me to the spotting list. Some pink/light red spotting last night, but after a strained BM and I was lifting things yesterday, too. Freaked me out though so probably won't be lifting things again. It's  brown this morning,  so hopefully NBD. I had a SCH at almost the exact same time with my last pregnancy and we ended up going to triage. Thursday can not come soon enough.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Add me to the spotting list too. I had some light spotting just before my bfp but it only lasted a day. But then last night it is back. I think I may be able to attribute it to my Progesterone suppositories (This is an IVF pregnancy). I know they are known for causing irritation, spotting/discharge. Last night it was dark brown with maybe a little pink, this morning it is much lighter and all brown. But it's still freaking me out. *TW* I've had 2 losses this year so I am so nervous about this PG. My betas looked great last week and my symptoms are pretty obvious so that's reassuring but wont have a scan until next week. 

TTC#1 - March 2013

BFP 8/9/13 - EDD 4/14/14 - DS born 4/23/14

TTC#2 November 2015

Dx: Secondary IF June 2016

Medicated IUI cycle#1- Clomid+IUI -1/15/17 -BFN

Break Mid 2017 - Resumed TTC December 2018

"She believed she could so she did..."

Medicated IUI cycle#2- Femara 5mg+IUI 12/22/18 - BFP 1/4/19 - MMC 2/1/19

Saline Sono 3/15/19 - All Clear!

Medicated IUI cycle#3- Femara 7.5mg+IUI 3/28/19-BFN

Medicated IUI cycle#4- Femara 5mg+Gonal F 50iu+IUI 4/27/19- BFP 5/11/19 - MMC 6/12/19 - D&C 6/14/19-

Incomplete M/C Repeat D&C - 7/3/19 -Testing concluded baby was genetically normal  :'(

Dx: Unexplained RPL July 2019 - Tested + as carrier for Usher Syndrome & Familial Mediterranean Fever 

Saline Sono 8/7/19 - Mostly Clear! All systems go for IVF#1 

But will need a repeat Saline Sono between ER and FET

IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - 8/17/19

ER#1 8/27/19 - 12R, 6F, 4 biopsied+frozen! (3d5blasts + 1d6blast)- 2 PGS normal embabies!

Saline Sono 9/13/19 - All Clear! Onto FET Prep#1

FET#1 - 4AA -10/4/19 - BFP 10/14/19 - EDD - 6/21/20 -Beta#1-10dp5dt- 379 Beta#2-12dp5dt- 1007 Beta#3-14dp5dt- 2844

DD born 6/15/20  <3

• @hanshotfirst77 hang in there ❤️. I hate that you have to wait a week to see a scan, but I hope your symptoms keep doubts at bay until then. Sending good vibes your way!
  • @begging4abump Thank you! I am trying. I emailed my nurse this morning and she agreed she thinks its NBD and just the suppositories but it will certainly be a long week.

TTC#1 - March 2013

BFP 8/9/13 - EDD 4/14/14 - DS born 4/23/14

TTC#2 November 2015

Dx: Secondary IF June 2016

Medicated IUI cycle#1- Clomid+IUI -1/15/17 -BFN

Break Mid 2017 - Resumed TTC December 2018

"She believed she could so she did..."

Medicated IUI cycle#2- Femara 5mg+IUI 12/22/18 - BFP 1/4/19 - MMC 2/1/19

Saline Sono 3/15/19 - All Clear!

Medicated IUI cycle#3- Femara 7.5mg+IUI 3/28/19-BFN

Medicated IUI cycle#4- Femara 5mg+Gonal F 50iu+IUI 4/27/19- BFP 5/11/19 - MMC 6/12/19 - D&C 6/14/19-

Incomplete M/C Repeat D&C - 7/3/19 -Testing concluded baby was genetically normal  :'(

Dx: Unexplained RPL July 2019 - Tested + as carrier for Usher Syndrome & Familial Mediterranean Fever 

Saline Sono 8/7/19 - Mostly Clear! All systems go for IVF#1 

But will need a repeat Saline Sono between ER and FET

IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - 8/17/19

ER#1 8/27/19 - 12R, 6F, 4 biopsied+frozen! (3d5blasts + 1d6blast)- 2 PGS normal embabies!

Saline Sono 9/13/19 - All Clear! Onto FET Prep#1

FET#1 - 4AA -10/4/19 - BFP 10/14/19 - EDD - 6/21/20 -Beta#1-10dp5dt- 379 Beta#2-12dp5dt- 1007 Beta#3-14dp5dt- 2844

DD born 6/15/20  <3

• @hanshotfirst77 I’m glad your nurse got back to you so quickly! The suppositories are not fun. Better than shots but still. At least mine are in beige capsules now instead of pink. You may have even just scratched yourself inserting. 

TTC since Feb 2016
  • Red spotting again today after a BM.  Do I call now? Or wait it out til Thursday?
    Pregnancy Ticker