May 2020 Moms

Weekly Questions 9/29

mdfarmchickmdfarmchick member
edited September 2019 in May 2020 Moms
Post your questions here and crowd source some answers. ๐Ÿ˜

Re: Weekly Questions 9/29

• When are you guys finding out sex?! I guess also a question and PSA ย but I was 8 weeks this past weekend and got my sneak peek results yesterday!! I had never heard of it but you can find out sex 8 weeks for about $75 (which includes shipping) with a blood sample.ย 
  • @zaslawlz I think Iโ€™m goingย to do Sneak Peek too! Im a little weary because I hear stories of peopleโ€™s whose were incorrect, but there overall stats are really high&Iโ€™m so impatient. Are you confident in your results? Did you do it from home? I think Iโ€™m going to go to one of their in person facilities at 9 weeks!ย 
  • Loading the player...
  • With both of my other pregnancies my office had me do the blood test around 12 weeks as opposed to an us to test for any abnormalities. You can also find out the sex that way. With my first we found out at 13 weeks and my second around 15 because we did a little party with the cake to tell us. I wasn't big on reveal parties,ย  but my oldest had been extremely I'll just a few months prior so I think everyone involved wanted something to celebrate! I anticipate finding out around 13 weeks again. Not sure I will wait for anything fancy. I'm dying to know!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm waiting until the anatomy scan. I already have one of each and I'm not planning on going hog wild with sex-specific clothing and decorations; this is a 3rd child, after all. We already have names picked out for either sex, so it's just a waiting game until early January.
  • zaslawlzzaslawlz member
    edited September 2019
    @KaylaSadie So the incorrect results are if you contaminate the sample. You do it at home and you have to wash the counter, wash and air dry your hands, and make sure any makes in your life donโ€™t touch anything. You just follow the instructions and put some blood in a tube and mail it back! I HATE the sight of blood but I was fine. If itโ€™s a girl itโ€™s basically for sure correct (mine is a girl!) but if it says boy thereโ€™s a small chance of contamination if you didnโ€™t wash your hands, or touch a towel that a boy has used.ย 

@diagonalley yeah we didnโ€™t do a reveal either, not my thing but Iโ€™m glad we can focus on names since we were all over the place on that for both boys and girls. I think we have a similar scan at our next apt too I wonder if thatโ€™ll confirm gender also
  • I plan on waiting for the anatomy scan. I am hoping I can do it at 19 weeks so we can know before Christmas.
    TTC#1 July 2015ย 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 โ€” MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 โ€” Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019ย 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 โ€” EDD 5/15/20

• @zaslawlz Thatโ€™s so exciting you found out it was a girl from home! Iโ€™m not confident in my abilities to do it at home haha,so weโ€™re going to the clinic in two weeks&aim hoping itโ€™ll be accurate! If they do it in person it better be right if they do that for a living!ย 
    I havenโ€™t decided on a gender reveal party, but I donโ€™t think so, especially because I might be doubting the results. Iโ€™m frustrated my doctors office said they wonโ€™t attempt any gender identification until 20 weeks so I think
    Im gonna pay for an outside ultrasound at 14 weeks or so to hopefully conform Sneak Peek blood work! @diagonalley I agree that it would be fun to get everyone involved though! I know our family would love a gender real, even if Iโ€™m not super into the idea, but weโ€™ll see!ย 
  • Weโ€™re going to wait until the anatomy scan. That was one of our favorite experiences when I was pregnant with DD, so itโ€™ll be fun to do that again. @m6agua Iโ€™m also hoping to be able to do ours a little early (18-19 weeks) so we can know before Christmas.
  • We will probably wait until the anatomy scan... but since 20 weeks is mid January, part of me really wants to find out before hand. I'd love to be able to tell family what we are having before Christmas. I have a feeling we will end up with gifts about the new baby, so knowing the sex would it make it easier. Plus part of me wants to do a Christmas card announcing our pregnancy, so it would be cute to include the sex.ย 
  • What does your doctor want your progesterone level to be at?
  • ย @pirateduck All I know is he wanted it above 20 with the first draw and the second draw wasnโ€™t higher than 18 I guess so he put me on it.ย 
  • @mdfarmchick mine has been virtually the same at the past 3 blood draws, I guess I just expect it to be rising... ย I am taking progesterone so perhaps that equal dose regular keeps the number the same... ย I donโ€™t really know
  • darkrose88darkrose88 member
    edited October 2019
    So I got on the scale this morning and in the two weeks since I got my BFP I've gained WAY too much weight. I've been eating the same, not overdoing it, and yet the scale keeps creeping up. I'm super paranoid about gaining as much as I did for my first pregnancy (50+lbs). But I'm not sure how to control the weight gain. Any suggestions on how to only put on a healthy amount of weight?ย 
  • So... Here's a question... I have a bicornuate uterus. Yesterday I had my first prenatal visit at 6 weeks. The doc prescribed a total of 1300mg of progesterone supplements per day (intravaginal). I find it extreme... I'm really sleepy as is and can barely work with the current 600mg. Anyone else had this kind of prescription? Isn't this waaaay to much?
  • @darkrose88 I gained 20 lbs in the 2nd trimester with DD I'm sure I would have done the same or more 3rd trimester but I got diagnosed with GD and had to eat way less carbs. I only gained 5 lbs my 3rd trimester. I'm currently trying to do the same now with eating more protein but with the MS the only thing that's helping is carbs. Maybe try more protein less carbs.ย 
  • I think we'll be waiting for the anatomy scan, it'll be right around Christmas, so I would love to open it up like a Christmas present and find out that way. This is my husband's first baby, I think it would make it extra special for him and our boys to do it that way.ย 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • @pustiulari Iโ€™ve never heard of extra progesterone being an issue. Iโ€™ve only heard of low progesterone being an issue. So, personally, I would listen to what the doctor prescribed.ย 
  • So... Here's a question... I have a bicornuate uterus. Yesterday I had my first prenatal visit at 6 weeks. The doc prescribed a total of 1300mg of progesterone supplements per day (intravaginal). I find it extreme... I'm really sleepy as is and can barely work with the current 600mg. Anyone else had this kind of prescription? Isn't this waaaay to much?
    After starting on progesterone my doctor has done multiple blood draws (maybe every 2 weeks) to check progesterone levels and determine if my dosage needs to be adjusted up or down.ย  I would assume your doctor picked the dosage based on your blood work results.ย  If you are questioning it, perhaps ask your doctor when he wants to re-test to be sure your numbers are sufficient or if your dose needs to be adjusted.
  • @darkrose88 I second trying to eat more proteins, fruits and veggies and cutting back on the carbs. Also, drink tons of water. Like more than you think is necessary.ย 
  • @darkrose88 It is pretty common for the scale not to be nice right now because of all of the bloating/water retention and extra blood volume. As others have said, cutting out or reducing added sugar and carbs and focusing on whole foods. Another tip would be to try doing some short walks after each meal.
    TTC#1 July 2015ย 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 โ€” MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 โ€” Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019ย 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 โ€” EDD 5/15/20

• Does anyone else have a tilted uterus? My doctor told me at my appointment and said it was common, but no other doctor has ever told me that before. So initially she wasnโ€™t having me going in for a dating ultrasound since Iโ€™m low risk and am sure on the lmp. But after saying I had a tilted uterus, she wrote me a script for an ultrasound. I wasnโ€™t planning on getting one since I have a high deductible plan and will have to pay for all of the cost, and was just planning on doing the anatomy. I should have asked more questions, but have been googling and it seems like it just may cause more trouble finding the heartbeat until you get further along. Any insight from anyone with experience?

• @peachnectarine Iโ€™ve had a tilted uterus since I was a teenager. This will be my third child born. One vaginally and one cesarean. It really depends on which way itโ€™s tilted. Mine is tilted forward so itโ€™s never been difficult to find the heartbeat; however, I have pretty severe pelvic pain in the last trimester due to the position of my uterus. I think tilted backwards is the one that causes issues with finding the heartbeat accurately, but I believe itโ€™s less common than a forward tilt.
  • edited October 2019
    @peachnectarine I have a retroverted uterus (tipped toward the back) and it didn't have any negative effects on my first pregnancy.ย  I also had an anterior placenta, and those two things made it so they couldn't hear the heartbeat with doppler until later on, but they were able ti find it with ultrasound instead.ย  I imagine that might be part of why they want to see you prior to an anatomy scan.ย  I had a scan at 12 weeks (NT scan) and again at 18 (anatomy).

ETA it usually resolves itself by the 2nd tri as the uterus expands and rights itself.ย ย 
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!ย  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @mdfarmchick @m6agua and @jhysmath thanks for the advice ladies! I definitely feel bloated, so I know that is part of it. And I probably am eating too many carbs because they help settle my stomach. But I'm really determined not to gain too much this time because hiking around a 25 lbs toddler AND an additional 50 lbs isn't going to work. I'll focus on cutting carbs back and see how that impacts the scale.ย 
  • pustiularipustiulari member
    edited October 2019
    @pirateduck Unfortunately there was no blood work. He just wrote the prescription...ย  :/
  • @pirateduck Unfortunately there was no blood work. He just wrote the prescription...ย  :/
    Then how does he even know that you need progesterone? ย Hmm... ย I donโ€™t know then. ย 
  • @pustiulari when I did a quick google search with a bicornuate uterus and progesterone it tells me that you most likely need a higher dose of progesterone. I recommend calling your OBโ€™s office back and asking some questions about your uterus and prescription or asking to schedule another appointment to cover it unless you have an appointment coming up.ย 
  • Is it safe to get a no chip manicure? Iโ€™m reading mixed things on google and my nails need a ton of help ๐Ÿ˜‚.
  • Is it safe to get a no chip manicure? Iโ€™m reading mixed things on google and my nails need a ton of help ๐Ÿ˜‚.
    Whatโ€™s no chip? I did gel last time, approved by the ob, and this time Iโ€™m doing dip. Mine said itโ€™s more important to make sure the salon is well ventilated.ย