May 2020 Moms

PGAIF - October

It seems like there are quite a few of us that are pregnant after infertility. I thought a thread might be good. Totally open yo suggestions if people don't like the format. 

EDD/How far along are you:

IF Diagnosis:

What did it take to get here:

Questions/Comments:

Re: PGAIF - October

• EDD/How far along are you: May 14th/ 8+0

IF Diagnosis: Early stage DOR and RPL

What did it take to get here: Two failed IUI's followed by a successful two day fresh transfer. We transferred three due to my age (38) and two stuck.

Questions/Comments: I still cant believe this worked and I find that I'm still on edge before US's. Given my history of RPL, I'm so afraid we'll lose one. However both babies measured on track and had HB's, so FX all is well.
  • @ruby696 we're all rooting for your little ones! 

EDD/How far along are you: 5/14, 8 weeks

IF Diagnosis: RPL, LPD, MFI

What did it take to get here: H was on meds help up the count and for me, I lost 60 lbs and am taking progesterone and baby aspirin. We were supposed to have our 1st IUI on our next cycle, but ended up not needing it.

Questions/Comments: sometimes I still can't believe I'm pregnant...then I smell meat and want to barf lol. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @splashmountain LOL, sorry meat sets you off. I feel the same way about coffee 😕
  • EDD/How far along are you: Due May 13, currently 8+1

IF Diagnosis: Initially they found a uterine polyp, so IF and a CP was blamed on that.  I had a D&C and surgical procedure to remove the polyp and a year later still was not pregnant.  Lot's more tests for me and hubby and EVERYTHING was normal which leads us to UNEXPLAINED IF 

What did it take to get here:  We moved on and did 3 monitored rounds of clomid, and then a failed clomid/trigger/iui cycle, and then a letrozole/trigger/iui cycle which was successful but ended in MC, we were waiting for my cycle to normalize after MC and my doctor gave me a cleansing list of vitamins/supplements for me and my husband to take daily until our next IUI cycle (we were taking approximately 20 tablets each a day, no exaggeration, things like fish oil and vitamin E and LArginine and DHEA)...  So had one period after MC and was anxiously awaiting CD1 so we could start our next IUI cycle and CD1 never came because I got pregnant on my own my first cycle after MC, almost exactly 3 years after we started trying to have a baby.

Questions/Comments:  So here I am.  It's hard to be optimistic.  After my IUI ended in MC I felt we'd totally failed at everything we could afford to try.  This has been such an emotionally and financially draining journey.  I really thought I'd be working on baby number 2 or 3 by now, but I'm just 8 weeks in to growing baby number 1.  I love my medical team at the RE and at the OBGYN office, and I hope they can continue to help keep me sane.  I'm also 38 years old.
  • @pirateduck The financial aspect of IF is so unfair. We had to borrow half the cost of IVF from my mom (who is a saint), or we never would have been able to do it. It was definitely a one shot deal for us, especially with my egg quality issues (I'm also lucky enough to be a poor responder to fertility treatment and produce hardly any follicles/eggs). I don't know how people do multiple rounds without using all their savings/home equity. 
  • pirateduckpirateduck member
    edited October 2019
    It's crazy how little my insurance paid for even in the testing etc. I have a $6000 deductible so I had to pay that when I had my surgery too.  So yeah...  it takes a lot.  My mom too at some point said not to worry about expenses for medical bills, but then I just keep thinking of all the other things I could have done the money we've spent on this journey over the years.  It's a lot.  It creeps up on you one visit at a time, one test at a time, and by the time a year has passed you've spent $1000s, but it's hard to let go of the dream of having a family.  I also hate that my pregnancy spans two years so that means I get to pay my absurd deductible again this year and again in 2020 when I actually give birth.  Fun financial times!  I also would worry that if I spent ALL my money of IF tests and treatments how would I be able to afford actually having a baby, you still have hospital bills and time off work etc.
  • EDD/How far along are you: May 4, 9+3

IF Diagnosis: it took us 13 cycles to conceive #1, I was just waiting on CD 1 to begin testing when I magically got pregnant. #2 was a breeze (literally took my IUD out and got pregnant 10 days later), this pregnancy is the result of our second letrozole/trigger/IUI cycle. We did that because we didn’t want to wait...our children will be 5 years apart. We originally planned them to be 3.5 but shit happens. 

What did it take to get here: 2 letrozole/trigger/IUI cycles

Questions/Comments: just glad this cycle worked, because we would have moved to IVF had it not, and after watching my sister go through 7 rounds, 100k, and one living child...it was not on my “yay let’s do it!” list. 
  • @ieles2531 That was my greatest fear with IVF. I'm glad you didn't have to do it!
  • I feel like if my husband and I decide to go for baby number 2 after this that I am comfortable jumping back into up to 3 iui cycles, but I honestly do not know if I can go through IVF.  You ladies who have are soooo strong and I give you a lot of credit.  Just all the testing and the fear of what may or may not be wrong is enough to break a person down in IF.
  • EDD May 27

diagnosis: unexplained + one blocked tube, My RE remarked that my unblocked tube is one of the longest tubes he’s seen.

Two different REs, testing , hsg twice, two initial iui with gonalf trigger-cycles were neg. our IVF cycle resulted in 5 embryos. This is our second transfer (1 embryo).

TR***LC
    our first double transfer resulted in our fraternal twins.

The financial aspect of IF always results in frustrated tears for me. I’ll forever feel responsible for the 20 plusK we’ve spent so far. It’s the part I probably need to talk to a therapist about.
  • Do you ladies feel like your life was on hold during the time you were trying to conceive?  I feel like I missed out on the past 3 years of my life because it was consumed by this struggle.
  • @ruby696 we came thisclose to just jumping straight into IVF, because of the timing and the fact that we could do genetic testing and sex selection (H really wants a boy), the two IUI was my compromise. Lucky me!
  • EDD/How far along are you: May 14/8 weeks

IF Diagnosis: Male factor/high fsh and next to no sperm

What did it take to get here: Six years of waiting to figure out that 1, we actually had a problem, and 2 be stable enough to afford it.  One round of IVF and a single FET later has us pregnant with identical twins! We started the whole process in April of this year. We were supposed to start last September, but mid August my husband was diagnosed with unrelated testicular cancer. Then it was supposed to be February, but I slipped on the ice and broke my ankle. We started meds as soon as I could walk. 

Questions/Comments: Before knowing we needed fertility treatments we planned on 4 kids, when we found out IVF was our only shot, we decided maybe stick with two if we could make it happen. Now we are getting two in our first shot at this, and remarkably have 5 embryos left, so I’m back to hoping I can convince my husband to 4 kids or we run out of embryos.
  • @ieles2531 I'm a poor responder, so even with follistim, I only had one follicle for my second IUI. My response to clomid, according to my RE, was "underwhelming." So with the meds I would need to produce decent eggs, IVF made sense. Cause who wants to spend $6k on meds for another IUI? Even with IVF, we only got three mature eggs. So thankfully it worked out for us!
  • @ruby696 6k?! Crazy! Our entire IUI cycle was 1k, meds included. I’m so glad it worked out for you. 

@pirateduck completely sympathize with the life on hold feeling. We haven’t been able to travel or plan anything big because I’ve either been pregnant or trying to be for the last 18 months. We both agreed this is our last pregnancy, no matter the outcome, because we just can’t keep letting it run our lives. 
  • @ieles2531 I'm in the bay area, so it's really expensive. My IUI's were each about $3k. The $6k was for the meds I needed to be on to see results and those were meds used in IVF. So there was no reason not to do IVF (well, it was obviously more expensive, but has a much higher success rate).
  • EDD/How far along are you: May 24 (6+4) with twins

IF Diagnosis: Anovulatory PCOS

What did it take to get here: 3 rounds of letrozole/trigger/timed intercourse, 2 rounds of the same with IUI

Questions/Comments: I'm not sure if there's a point in this pregnancy when I'm not going to be scared all the time. I'm a little reassured by having heard heartbeats at my ultrasound this past week, but only slightly.
  • @louessbee I don’t know if the fear will ever completely go away, but the more time that passes the more confident I feel that I will be holding a baby at the end of it all
  • EDD/How far along are you: May 23rd/ 6+5

IF Diagnosis: PCOS, low morph

What did it take to get here:  1 MC, 1 CP, hysteroscopy to remove a polyp, 6 rounds of Letrozole +TI. We finally got the timing to work out to use the trigger this time. 

Questions/Comments: I’m feeling very excited about this pregnancy which terrifies me at the same time. I’m at the super nervous unconfident point of the pregnancy where I’m nervous to poop because I’m afraid it’s going to contract my uterus. Sooo.... I’d say that I’m anxious haha
    This was our “last ditch effort” before IVF in October so I feel like this pregnancy is my chance to save $20k+ also! 
  • @mokay19 You aren't the only one that ever has nervous to poop moments!
  • We have our second ultrasound today, and I’m a total mess. This whole experience has been a major high followed by a major low. I’m just scared we are keeping on trend and after finding out there are two babies at our last scan (major high) we are going to hit a major low today. 
  • @bender29 good luck today and wishing you all the best and for a perfect scan!!
  • @bender29 What you are feeling is totally normal.  Please update us after your scan.  Scans are exciting and terrifying all at once.
  • stella_700stella_700 member
    edited October 2019
    @bender29 I'm with the other ladies, sometimes when things feel like they are going so well, us IF ladies are waiting for that other painful shoe to drop. I know its difficult but try and start to enjoy that you are pregnant after your hard work to get to this stage. Hoping for great news from you today on your scan.
  • @bender29 GL at your scan today! FX babies look great!
  • Good luck @bender29. I'm dreading Friday's US for the same reason. FX so hard you see two perfect babies.
  • @bender29 Yeah! Enjoy the basking in a good appointment. : )

I had my first scan today. Got one little bean in there, 104 bpm. Got my official due date (May 28) and my day to end the meds. You can bet Oct 30 has got all the happy circles around it. I'm not sure if its cause I've got scar tissue on my bum from the first time around but the PIO is miserable this time. I'm running around rubbing my butt all the time.

I also forgot to ask them if I can come off of the pelvic rest. TMI, I know, but the lack of intimate times with DH is playing a role in my grumps.
  • My RE just gave me a schedule for weening off progesterone in the near future.  @stella_700 are you nervous at all about being off meds or just excited?  I'm kinda scared my body doesn't know what to do without help.  I will be at 10 weeks from LMP when I start cutting back.
  • @pirateduck I'm supposed to stop progesterone at 9 weeks cold turkey and I am so nervous. Nine weeks seems to early and I wish I was weaning off, but my RE doesn't think it's necessary. Ugh.
  • stella_700stella_700 member
    edited October 2019
    @pirateduck @ruby696 By the time that you wean off/stop the meds the baby's placenta takes over producing the progesterone so your body doesn't have to, when the placenta is developing is the time that your body needs the support. During my first pregnancy I quit cold turkey with no issues at all, so I have some reassurance there. I'm excited to wean, our RE just cold turkey stops the PIO, I'll might have to wean the estrace though, I wasn't on that the first time. I think its cause I'm extra old now at 40 rather than 37.

edited to add tag

• EDD/How far along are you: 6 +3

IF Diagnosis: DH quantity

What did it take to get here: 3 years of IUI. Getting 1 positive in that time, then a loss at 7 weeks 4 days. Being told I need to lose weight in order to conceive. Going through one round of IVF. Lots of tears and a second implantation of two frozen embryos. At this point I dont know if both embryos stuck or if I am only carrying one. Either way I will be happy as long as the baby or babies are healthy. Finding out how many I am carrying with my last IVF doctor appointment on 10/17. 

Questions/Comments: are any of you still on a ton of meds. I feel like it's never nding!
  • @ivfmom053020 yes! I had my 8 week ultrasound yesterday and they are just starting to ween me off drugs now. I’ll be finished with most by the end of the month, and man I am ready!
  • @bender29 I cannot wait. Thanks for giving me the light and the end of the medicine, never ending, annoying, tunnel. And congratulations!
  • Okay ladies, I'm 10+1 today and yesterday was supposed to be my last day using progesterone suppositories. I have enough left for three days, so I used one today. When are you all stopping progesterone? I know I should trust my RE and stop, but I'm so afraid to!
  • pirateduckpirateduck member
    edited October 2019
    Starting at 10 weeks from LMP my RE has me weaning off progesterone.  They said to call if I have any spotting.  I was taking it twice a day now I’m taking it once a day for a few days then every other day so by week 11 I won’t be taking any at all.  I’m nervous too but I also trust my RE and the 10 week timing seems pretty standard.
  • @pirateduck I'm taking 200 mg in the morning and then a progesterone/estrogen combo at night. It would be hard to cut the dosage down since they're two different medications. I don't think taking it longer will cause a problem and I had to pay for it, so...🤷‍♀️
  • 12 days to go to medicine/shot zero...
  • My RE wants me to go cold turkey on my progesterone at 10 weeks, but I'm nervous and I have enough to taper off, so I might do that.

Also, does anybody else take metformin? My RE told me I could stop that at 10w also, but I think I'm going to ask my OB for a second opinion on that. It's hell to get back on if I go off, and my GP (who originally put me on it) said I could stay on it my whole pregnancy "and beyond". I'm very unsure.
  • @louessbee it probably depends why you were prescribed the metformin in the first place if/when you should stop.  If it's for blood sugar/diabetes then I'd think they'd want to continue to monitor that somehow and possibly continue to treat.  If it's for PCOS and ovulation induction, now that your pregnant all your hormones are different and you don't need to be working on ovulation.  Definitely talk to your doctors about it.  Trust that they will know what's best.  I think our lives will get simpler once we are just with our OBs and not still seeing the RE as much.  I definitely run things by one doctor that the other doctor has told me.