May 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight - Pillows/Sleep Gear

edited October 2019 in May 2020 Moms

This was last week's missed product spotlight, but a good one, so I'm posting a week late.

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Pillows/Sleep Gears!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For all...
Any pillows you're using/considering?
STMs....
Did you use a pregnancy pillow last time? Any reccomendations?

To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XX4aUSPsDbdyEEK5HIzMzwH2ztOVOnNCehSgMAc5w6U/edit?usp=sharing
**TW**
Me: 35 | H: 40
Married Sept. 2013
DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
BFP!  8/24/19
DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

Re: Product Spotlight - Pillows/Sleep Gear

• ruby696ruby696 member
    edited October 2019
    I used a snoogle last time because I heard such great things about it. It was not for me. I still have it and maybe I'll try again this time, but I think just using regular pillows would have done trick. One issue was, I'm a pretty small person, so the snoogle was hard to get in and out of. I also didn't like ditching my regular pillow.

Eta: autocorrect 
  • I used the Boppy pregnancy pillow with both of mine and I liked it. I sleep with a memory foam pillow so I wanted a pregnancy pillow I could use for the rest of my body. The Boppy worked okay for that. I'm a stomach sleeper, so when I got to the point where I couldn't do that anymore, I used to throw my leg over and rest my belly on to get that stomach contact I need to fall asleep. Postpartum, I used it to help maneuver in and out of bed and press again my incision, since I've had c-sections both times. The slipcover was easy to get on and off for washing. It's a little flat and has been in the attic for a few years, so I'm considering getting a new one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the snoogle pillow. I used it last time and mh hated it because it took up so much of the bed. It went every where with me if I was needing to sleep. I don't know what I'm going to do this time though because currently DD spend half the night with us from about 1am to 6am and if she'd not pressed up against me she throws a fit. I must say in about 2 months though we went from spending 1 hour in her own bed at night to an average of 5 hours so maybe by the time I need one again she won't be in our bed anymore. 

• edited October 2019
    I have a Snoogle and I liked it, but I do miss my memory foam pillow when I use it.  It also made me really warm, but maybe that won't be as big of an issue this time, since I'll be pregnant mostly in the winter.  I did splurge and bought the all cotton cover with a zipper for it, which was 100% worth it because the cover it came with is a PITA to take off and put back on!  The cover I got is brown, and so I affectionately refer to my Snoogle as "the giant turd".  :lol: MH started sleeping in the guest room when I broke it out because it takes up so much space, but I secretly loved having my own bed anyway.  ;)

ETA photo of "the giant turd"  :lol:
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• I've ended up using both the snoogle pillow and a wedge pillow to help me towards the end of the twin's pregnancy. My lungs were so smushed that I needed to be propped up towards the end other wise I'd be so short of breath it would wake me up.
  • I just used a wedge pillow and stuck a regular pillow between my legs last pregnancy. It worked out really well! 
  • @stella_700 A wedge pillow is a great idea. I'm short, so I've been worries about breathing in 3rd tri. One baby is pretty uncomfortable. I don't know how you sleep at all with two.
  • The more pregnant I get the more I decide how many pillows I need. By third trimester I usually use the boppy wedge to relieve pressure from my hips and the regular boppy pregnancy pillow to simulate sleeping on my belly like @thepretzelchick

Right now I'm still just sleeping with a regular pillow and a pillow between my legs. 
  • @ruby696 I'm also a short girl. Don't be surprised if your husband ends up sleeping in another room towards the end. I ended up with the wedge pillow and the snoogle on our queen mattress and I snored like a freight train. I was dealing with a bunch of pregnancy nasal swelling and congestion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HHLBKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is the one I bought. DH just used it the other night, he's been sick.

• I've had a wedge pillow saved in my Amazon cart for a while, but it was... ahem... for other reasons.  :wink:
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• I'm a short girl 5'1 and I had the Snoogle and I LOVED it! However I bought the jersey knit cover and that was so much better than the cotton on.

I highly recommend a king size bed if you can swing it. My first pregnancy I we had a full, it was awful for the 11 weeks I was pregnant. For my second we had gotten our King and it was amazing! I do have to have a step stool at some point because the bed is too high up for me to get in without straining and stretching uncomfortably.

For after birth I loved using the Boppy to sit on.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @m6agua We have a king at our home in NY MH for some reason needs to jump to get into it. He's 2 inches taller than I am but can't get into it. When he's been drinking he falls out multiple times trying to get into and and I want to end him. Especially when we had the crib in the room and he woke up the baby. I love our king bed all summer. I currently have a twin next to our queen to be able to cosleep comfortably with our 16 month old. It's a little ridiculous and MH said we should just get a king but I told him we'll be moving in 2ish years and don't need to end  up with two king sized beds. 
  • I usually start out with a regular body pillow since I’m a side sleeper anyways. Somewhere in the second trimester I’ll likely start sleeping sitting up/propped up since I get horrific heartburn that no meds can touch. 
  • @shamrocandroll bahaha I love multi-use products. I have been thinking about one of those for a while too 😂
  • I hated the Snoogle because I roll around and change positions a lot throughout the night. It’s really hard to do that with a snoogle because it is giant and you have to roll over it and then flip to change sides. Doing that multiple times each night is not only annoying, but there is more of a chance to wake you up and not be able to fall back asleep. Most of the times, I ended up chucking it off the side of the bed halfway through the night. 

• personally, I don't think I could ever sleep with a pregnancy pillow without kicking MH out of the bed - They take up so much room! I did get just a regular $5 body pillow from wal-mart last time and it helped a lot with side hip pain - I definitely couldn't go a night without starting mid 2nd trimester. 
  • @peachnectarine I also roll over a lot in my sleep, which is why I didn’t bother getting a pillow last time. I probably won’t this time either.
  • I loved the Snoogle pillow. I can’t remember when I started using it last time (late first or early second tri). I haven’t pulled it out yet. I agree with PPs it does take a lot of space, but we have a bigger bed this time and I can’t wait to use it again. 
    When are y’all starting out?
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a snoogle but I love using my regular pillow and had a hard time with putting my face on it. So I have a setup with my regular pillow (tempurpedic ftw) and then two body pillows. 
  • @Linsbins yesss 🙌 I also tried the snoogle but it didn’t even come close to the comfort level of my tempurpedic for my head. We sound exactly the same I also do my tempurpedic and two body pillows 😂😂 
  • Last time I just used a body pillow to prop my belly and a leg on, but LO has it on her bed now so I need to buy a new one. In the meantime I am already using a regular pillow between my legs because my hips are uncomfortable (and one butt cheek keeps cramping up). 

I’d definitely feel guilty bringing something huge into the bed with us as we are in a queen. I’m uncomfortable much earlier this time so might need more support by the end. 
  • I'm secretly dreading switching to a body/pregnancy pillow, because of how much room they take up in the bed. I'm a minimalist sleeper (I only use one pillow and a weighted blanket), but MH uses three pillows and two blankets, so our bed is already crowded. Not to mention that three of our dogs (the biggest ones - 130lbs, 125lbs, and 75lbs) all sleep in the bed with us, as well. I know that will all change soon enough, but I don't want it to. My bullmastiff is a velcro dog and any time she gets kicked out of bed she rests her head on my side and whines and wags her tail against the dresser to wake me up so she can get back in bed.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• I'll be changing up my pillow configuration to see if it will help my chronic lower back pain I've got going on right now. The RE who did my ultrasound yesterday said that I've got a retroverted uterus. That so much explains while my pain is in my back rather than cramps in front even when I have my normal cycles.

• Thinking about taking the plunge and actually buying something as sleep positions get less comfortable.  I re-read this and see lots of people not loving their snoogle but not a ton of suggestions on other pillows.  Anyone else have some input?  Pros/cons of a pillow that goes around your whole body vs one you just hold on your front side?
  • I actually love my snoogle. We do have a king size bed though. I agree it can be too big for smaller beds. As it is my husband sleeps on the edge because of me, my pillow, and our dog. 
  • I second the king size bed requirement for the Snoogle. We just got one and it's a game changer. Last time, we had a queen, and MH pretty much moved out of our bed and into the guest room because he has no space for himself. The king gives us an extra 16 inches of width, and the Snoogle pretty much uses all of that. 
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• I definitely waited way too long to get our king, but this is the first place I’ve lived that I have the space for it.  I hope to never have a smaller bed again!  My husband is anti snuggling at night.  We definitely sleep best if we are not touching.  I also highly recommend having your own blankets if you don’t already.  Especially during pregnancy we can’t seem to agree on proper temps.  Maybe I will go for the snoogle...  I have a 20% off for buy buy baby and they have tons or pillow options online.  I was also looking at the boppy pregnancy pillow, the full length one they make.
  • I like the the Snoogle too, but also agree on the King size bed. I recommend getting the Jersey Pillowcase for it, so much more comfortable than the one it comes with! You also will want to use it while sitting and watching TV or other things to wear it in. It can be a bit too fluffy and uncomfortable at first until it is more broken in.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @m6agua I was pregnant in the summer last time, so I invested in a cotton cover with a zipper, and it's SO much better!  Taking it on and off isn't like wrestling an angry alligator like the one it comes with.  :lol:  Also, I don't use it as a head pillow because I like my regular pillow much more.  But I use it as a body/leg pillow.
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• I start on my back then sleep on my sides and switch sides throughout the night. I had been using a regular pillow between my legs but really wanted something that I wouldn't have to move when I turned over. I got this one on Amazon because it stays put while I switch sides. You can't really use your own pillow with it. Though I saw other similar ones that look like they make room for your own. I can also swing the outside "arm" off the side of the bed to get in and out easier. It does take up my entire side and encroach on DH a bit, but he hasn't moved out yet! 

• I figured out a great hack for the pregnancy pillows! I ordered the same one as above and couldn’t stand sleeping without my pillow. But when I turned it upside down, it wouldn’t stay in place. So I took the stuffing out of the pillow part and put my pillow in the case. Works amazingly well! Everything stays in place and I get to keep using the pillow I like!
  • I have a boppy that I loved but I need more hip support I wake up every night with hip pain. I also find I roll right over it and end up on my back anyway which I’m trying to avoid. These body pillows are huge though. Anything smaller than 55 in. in the same U shape?
  • I did the mini snoogle. Doesn't take up as much space and I can use my regular awesome pillow for my head. 

BUT, my SPD is a huge problem and it's not thick enough between the thighs to keep my pelvis aligned. So I have quite the nest. Foam head pillow, mini snoogle and a mini wedge that I use next to the short end of it, so that I don't have to flip it to roll over, I just switch sides and put my back against the opposite side, like I would with a u shape. Then, I have two regular pillows, stuffed into one pillow case to make it extra firm, and put that between my thighs as well. I need A LOT of support there. We have two body pillows, but those stacked up isn't enough, so I like my current solution.  And this way I have back and belly support.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Soooo...  my husband was out of town last night and I had control of the whole bed, minus one cat that is good at taking up lots of space, and my FitBit sleep score was the best it's been in a few weeks.  Maybe it's not actually a pillow problem at all!  The tracking info. says my snoogle should be delivered today however, so I'm excited for that.
  • @pirateduck MH was booted from our bed for my whole 3rd trimester for my first pregnancy. 😂 
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• So last night was my first night with my snoogle.  My Fitbit said it was the worst night’s sleep I had in ages.  I’m not convinced it was because of the snoogle however, I will say my hips and collarbones hurt significantly less this morning that with my previous pillow combo.  The one obvious down side of the snoogle was that it’s really hot.  I woke up really sweaty a few times.
  • @pirateduck It definitely takes a period of getting used to it.  Also, I 100% recommend getting a cotton cover with a zipper instead of the terrible cover it comes with.  Mine is brown, so I affectionately refer to my Snoogle as "the giant turd"  :lol:  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @pirateduck I hated my snoogle. I made myself use it with DD because I felt like I should love it, but I never got used to it. Hopefully you adapt and love it soon, but I think they just don't work for some people.
  • @pirateduck I'll also add I never got used to using it as a pillow for my head.  I shove that part off to the side so I can still use my own pillow.
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @pirateduck I've been using the snoogle for about two weeks and the first few days I didn't love it. Now I'm liking it a lot for back support when I'm on my side. Hopefully you start liking it after a few more days!
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20