Weekly Group Check-in Groups 1&2 (Jan 1-16) w/o 30/9

EDD/Weeks + Days: 

Baby is the size of a(n): 

Team Finding Out/Blue/Pink/Green: 

Upcoming Appointments: 

How are you feeling? (Cravings/Symptoms):

Rants/Raves: 

Questions:

GTKY: What is something you are looking forward to once baby is born?

Re: Weekly Group Check-in Groups 1&2 (Jan 1-16) w/o 30/9

• Options
    EDD/Weeks + Days:  1/1 26w/5d

Baby is the size of a(n): Boule de pain or a butternut squash!

Team Finding Out/Blue/Pink/Green:  green

Upcoming Appointments: midwife 16/10 and I'll go for my  glucose test hopefully this week or early next week so it's done before 28 weeks

How are you feeling? (Cravings/Symptoms): I just need carbs all the time but no cravings other than that. My hips are such a pain at night it's annoying, I also started noticing my stiff hands coming in the morning which could be the slow return of my pregnancy carpel tunnel syndrome great!

Rants/Raves: Had such a good weekend with DD, DH is away so we went around everywhere together. Apple picking was on sunday and we walked around did activities and picked apples for 4 hours! I thought I would be so soar but not at all. It also helped that the weather is now freezing here (12 degrees yesterday) because if it was hot there's no way I could manage

Questions: I feel like I don't have anything ready yet for baby, somewhat starting to panic. When I was a FTM you start preparing months in advance since you have so much free time and can plan the whole way, now I'm still excited but somehow feel like I'm delaying getting thing's ready and set, anyone else? 

GTKY: What is something you are looking forward to once baby is born? I'm excited to see how DD and her new sibling will interact, as well as how it will be with two :) I'm excited to not work now for a year and hopefully push the idea of work from home to my boss or at least partially. 
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k I absolutely feel like that! I feel so disorganised and almost in denial about how soon the babies
    will be here. When I think about it, it makes me feel a little panicky. More so that i dont have any baby boy things but mountains of baby girl things from dd.

EDD/Weeks + Days: 8th January / 25+5

Baby is the size of a(n): a pigeon

Team Finding Out/Blue/Pink/Green: purple

Upcoming Appointments: nothing this week for a change 🙌🏻

How are you feeling? (Cravings/Symptoms): tired, massive, slow, sore hips, uncomfortable at night, waking in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. Still on a massive buffalo chicken phase, I cannot get enough of that hot sauce!

Rants/Raves: raves - following my run in with a project sponsor last week, my boss had a word with him & today he took me out for coffee & apologised & we cleared the air which makes things a lot easier all round.

Questions: nothing right now

GTKY: What is something you are looking forward to once baby is born? Im curious to see how alike or different they will be compared to each other & also dd. Also A rare steak & a glass of wine, followed by something sugary and sweet like a jam donut or cheesecake.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + Days: Jan 1st, 26+5

Baby is the size of a(n): Kleenex box

Team Finding Out/Blue/Pink/Green: blue

Upcoming Appointments: October 23rd with the OB

How are you feeling? (Cravings/Symptoms):
     Sore ribs still. I have a feeling it's not going to go away...
    Still craving peanut butter and hot wings

Rants/Raves: I updated the bump app and it works now. Also, baby is kicking so hard now. Not painful, it just makes my whole abdomen move now.

Questions: none right now

I can't wait to see what eye colour he will have. I'm also very ready to not work.
  • Options
    EDD/Weeks + Days: 25 w.

Baby is the size of a(n): Acorn squash

Team Finding Out/Blue/Pink/Green: Green

Upcoming Appointments: GD test sometime near the end of October...really not looking forward to it.  Mostly because you can't eat for 2 hours before lol. 

How are you feeling? (Cravings/Symptoms): I am with all of you that are craving spicy and savory things.  We eat garlic peanut noodles at least once a week.  I have been eating a lot of baba ganoush lately. 

Rants/Raves: It is finally cooling down here!  Not enough not to use the swamp cooler, but at least it is tolerable to go outside. 

Questions:  I am so with you @c1kc1kpol1cn1k about not being as ready as the first time.  I'm not sure what it is, but possibly for me it is feeling like I can never prepare for the newborn phase.  It was just so overwhelming the first time.  Would we want to start threads on preparing for a newborns, freezer meals, etc. closer to the due date.

Has anyone hired a doula yet?  We had one the last time, but it is a huge expense.

Holding this little rainbow and seeing dd with her/him. 
  • Options
    @ponyoisfun I guess since we already know how much you can't really fully prepare, maybe I'm less eager this time to do it haha. We should start a thread on that probably early November since that would be crunch time for a lot of us. I hired a doula, I just found with DD it was a really good experience, being able to text/call when I was just starting labour, helping to track everything without false alarms to the hospital. Also the pain management she did with me (TENS machine) was a life savour and took away almost all my pain giving birth. I'm splitting the cost with my mum. 
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k . I think that is it.  We know that there is really no way to actually be ready and so it feels a bit futile. You just don't know what the little human that comes out is going to be like.

Not to scare any FTMs out there!  There are actually a few things you can do and I think a thread in November is a great idea to start talking about it.   

I think I'll start looking for a doula.  Last time we hired ours she was a student doula and a lot less expensive...so I don't know if we can go back to her.  It's a very small home birth/birth center birth community here though so it could be awkward if she finds out we went with someone else.  

For us, the doula helped with everything else besides me in labor (my husband did all birth support), but it's impossible to predict what I will need for this birth.  Maybe we just need a PA...  

• Options
    breweber2010breweber2010 member
    edited October 2019
    EDD/Weeks + Days: 25 weeks, 2 days

Baby is the size of a(n): Large cucumber

Team Finding Out/Blue/Pink/Green: Blue

Upcoming Appointments: Appointment with the midwife tomorrow, probably do my glucose test as well.

How are you feeling? (Cravings/Symptoms):  Still craving the McDonalds Fish sandwich...love that stick-to-your-teeth steamed bun...yum!  Otherwise feel pretty good.

Rants/Raves: DS's 3rd birthday is on Friday, as well as my husband and my anniversary!  Excited to celebrate DS's birthday again on Saturday with my family this time!

Questions:  None today

GTKY: What is something you are looking forward to once baby is born?  Seeing how DS is as a big brother.  I think he's going to be amazing, but time will tell.  @leprechaunlady That rare steak and red wine also sounds amazing!  I think I'll add a good Rainbow Roll to the mix!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k and @ponyoisfun I am with you. I talked to my husband about a registry for the baby. Mind you we are only doing it for the "free stuff" and the discounts and not expecting anyone to get anything for us. He just doesn't seem interested in it at all. Also I feel like we are moving much slower with baby 2. But it seems like time is going by quickly and we need to get this stuff done and to start getting stuff because before you know it, it WILL be January and I don't want to be that person that has everything done for baby 1 and baby 2 gets the short end of the stick.

EDD/Weeks + Days: 25 weeks

Baby is the size of a(n): TI 89 Calculator

Team Finding Out/Blue/Pink/Green: Pink

Upcoming Appointments: Had an appointment yesterday and another in 3 weeks

How are you feeling? (Cravings/Symptoms): Feeling good. SO TIRED all the time. I am loving chocolates and carbs right now. I have minor swelling in my right leg. The Dr gave me a paper to go and get scanned for an DVT if the signs present themselves. 

Rants/Raves: Cannot find a sleeping position, so I am going to bed late and waking up early because well sleeping is hard. Other then that nesting has kicked in. Have ideas for the babies room, so now acting on them and cleaning more than I have in many months. 

Questions: As a second time mom what are you putting on your registry/getting this time that you learned about last time? Or what item did you go out and get that is a must have for baby 2?

GTKY: What is something you are looking forward to once baby is born? Seeing my daughter with her. While the routine will change, and I am not looking forward to that, she is excited for a sister and keeps asking for her to share a room and to go to school with her.
  • Options
    @chelscreates so true! maybe we will all have to make a pact or something to get certain things completed by certain dates, that might be motivating? haha 

This time around I will be getting a Halo Bassinet (off of FB marketplace). We had a bassinet stroller that is certified for sleep and came with a separate stand that we kept in the bedroom. I think it will be a hassle for me this time to keep taking the bassinet up and down through my house while dealing with a new baby and DD. Last time it was somehow easier but it would be good to have the bassinet fixed in the bedroom and keep the bassinet stroller in the car or the stand with that portion in the living room. I am also debating on getting the 4moms momaroo (also on FB marketplace) since again having DD might be hard to carry baby around all the time even though I am really into baby wearing and never used any type of aid to hold her away from me last time. We need a carseat this time too, so that kind of sucks since it's a big cost.  What about you? 
  • Options
    Questions: As a second time mom what are you putting on your registry/getting this time that you learned about last time? Or what item did you go out and get that is a must have for baby 2?
    I'm a TTM and am also making registries mostly for the completion discounts/freebies, but also because people might like to pick things off of it for Christmas presents (my family tends to make & shop off of lists).  My registries are much simpler this time around since we still have a lot, or have learned what's not really necessary.  My registries are mostly essentials like diapers, wipes, breastfeeding/pumping supplies, toiletries, etc.

My biggest "aha" item that I purchased with my second and loved was a cosleeper that connects to the bed.  I hadn't really thought it was necessary with my first since we had a crib in the room, but underestimated how comforting it is for baby to be within arms reach during the night.  We bought an Arms Reach Cosleeper last time around but can't find it now (probably didn't make the move to our new house), so we're looking at buying a Baby Delight Bedside Bassinet for LO#3 since it appears to be more adjustable and we have a rather low bed.
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k  We do need to make a pact of some kind. I mean I should be making a dresser and yet I am not. 

For me we got a Mammaroo the last time, and didn't get rid of anything so I still have it, and we used it once or twice. My kid hated it. We really liked the Sit-Me-Up and recommend to anyone and everyone! 

@cats_in_a_window We know the baby will have to be in our room for the first couple of months because the rooms for the girls will share a wall. To help DD1 get the sleep she needs we will keep DD2 in our room. We are both agree with no co-sleeping but we need to find something that is higher then a pack and play that we can put the baby in. 

I feel like I am also being super lazy and having my husband bring home the mini fridge from work so I can pump while I am upstairs and not have to go up and back to store milk over night. Also there will be times where I have him do a bottle in the middle of the night while I pump so we can both get a little more sleep.
  • Options
    @chelscreates if you're going to pumping at night, having a mini fridge in the room sounds like a brilliant idea!

Not sure what the aversion to cosleeping is, but if its worry about safety, I will specify that these are not for bedsharing.  They attach to the side of mom and dad's bed so that the baby is on a safe, separate sleep surface, but are still at arms reach.  We're not comfortable with bedsharing either, but a cosleeper ended up being a good compromise to keep baby happy.  It sounds a lot like what you're describing, like a pack and play but higher.

If your reason for not cosleeping is something different, feel free to ignore this of course!
  • Options
    @cats_in_a_window I love the idea, I will definitely go with the brands you listed as well as the Halo Bassinet. It swivels and come right over you to the bed or can be right beside you. I couldn't do bed sharing either, but co-sleeping is a must for me
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k I'll have to take a look at the Halo Bassinet.  Does it have a fold down side like the other cosleepers do?  I loved being able to lay my hand on DD to soothe her at night without having to even sit up in bed!
  • Options
    @cats_in_a_window Maybe I have to concepts mixed up. I mean we don't want to share a bed with our kids. We didn't do it with the first one so we don't want to do it with this one either. We had a small crib in our room the last time, but we will not have it this time. It was separate from our bed, but only 2 steps away. I was thinking something along the same line, but the idea of something that come up to the bed might work too. The idea of breast feeding side laying so everyone can sleep would be nice. 
  • Options
    @cats_in_a_window I have to chime in on the co-sleeping and bed sharing issue too.  I highly suggest reading the book Sweet Sleep if you want more information on newborn sleep and how to do it safely. 

As I was telling another parent the other day, I am the most paranoid person ever, but we did bedshare following all of the official guidelines.  It was NOT easy!  In fact I am looking for alternatives this time around.  

The biggest takeaway from everything is that even if you do not plan on co-sleeping or bed sharing just be informed on exactly what it looks like to do it with the utmost safety and know whether or not your baby is even a candidate for either. There are certain medical things that rule out either option.   There may be a night when you are so tired and run down it seems like the only option.  It is best to know, even if it is just for that one night, how to do it safely. 

• Options
    @chelscreates yes, I thought you might have cosleeping mixed up with bedsharing based on your comment, which was why I clarified.  Cosleeping (with baby on a separate sleep surface next to the bed) can be a great compromise for parents who aren't comfortable with bedsharing but still want the benefits of baby sleeping close-by.

@ponyoisfun thanks for the book recommendation!  I lean towards the attachment parenting side of things with my infants (without being too keen on giving my parenting a label), so I have done some reading on safe bedsharing and agree that it can be a great option for parents and babies who meet the criteria and put in the effort to create a safe sleep space in the family bed.  In our case, we are not willing or really able to make the necessary adjustments to safely bedshare, so cosleeping was a game-changer for us with DD.  I also think it's a great idea for all parents to read up on safe bedsharing, even if they don't plan to do it.  As you say, it's way too easy to fall asleep with your baby accidentally or just feel like there's no other option when you've been up all night, and there's a huge difference safety-wise between falling asleep together on a couch/recliner (huge no-no) vs. on a firm mattress with pillows and covers removed.  From your comments, I'm sure you know all this, I'm summarizing for the benefit of others who might be reading this thread.