March 2020 Moms

Teacher's Lounge

Stolen from another board. I think we have a fair number of teachers here, and with back to school season in full swing I thought now would be a great time to start this!

What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach?

When do/did you go back? Students?

Any new duties this year that you are questioning with pregnancy?

Any questions for STM+ teachers? Or just questions/concerns in general?

How many weeks do you plan to take off when baby arrives?

When/how do you plan on telling your students?

Re: Teacher's Lounge

• What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach?  Middle school Family and Consumer Science!  This will be my 2nd year.  Before that I taught 6 years of elementary (mostly 4th grade).

Today is the first official day back - students come next Wednesday. 

We switched from semesters to trimesters this year and one of the FCS teachers at another middle school JUST quit (major eyeroll), so this year will be interesting.  My brother in law is interviewing for the position, so if he gets it things will be VERY interesting...lol.

My only question right now has to do with when I'll tell students.  I'm concerned about running food labs whilst super super pregnant - just because I know how tired and cranky I'll be.  

I'm hoping to take the rest of the year off - about 15 weeks.  My state has new maternity leave laws that haven't been fully explained.  They start the first of the year, so I'm hoping to know a lot more then.

When/how do you plan on telling your students?  I don't know!!  My blump is already getting hard to hide so observant kids will probably notice soon.  I'm on the fence if I make an announcement or just let it ride.  I'm looking for the least awkward way to do it because like middle schoolers, I'm also socially awkward.  
  • What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? Pre-K 

I go back Monday and I'm really excited! Students K-8 start Thursday and my students come in for a half day orientation Friday.

I partially agreed to making the after school care schedule and one of our administrators started telling everyone who was asking that it was 100% doing it. So now I was peer pressured to doing it and I don't really want to and I have to find someone to cover for me for maternity leave but I haven't told any of my coworkers that I'm pregnant soooo it's just annoying and stressful. But at least I get paid for the extra time spent.

I don't know if anyone will know the answer, but is spring break part of maternity leave/FMLA leave or is it like a free week? I don't know if that makes any sense?

I want to take off 12 but I don't know if we can swing it financially. I get 3 weeks paid maternity leave and can use sick time for additional paid time but I only started at this school last year so I don't have much time built up. So I'll use that and take some unpaid time and probably go back for the last few weeks of school.

When/how do you plan on telling your students? I'm not sure how to tell them or when. During summer camp I had some boys wrestling and playing pretty rough and one sort of jumped on my belly so I want to make sure that they know in order for them to be gentle around me. I'm 10 weeks not and not really showing at all so I don't think they will notice for a while. 
  • Loading the player...
  • What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? K-5 instructional technology coach. I work across 3 buildings, so I travel a lot during the day. Luckily all the schools are close!

We had 2 institute days and then kids came yesterday, so today was the second day with kids. 

Not duties, but I am the only instructional tech coach for all three buildings, so teachers likely will not get the intense support I can provide while I’m on maternity leave. Feeling a little guilty about that! 

How are you telling your staff? I want to put food in the lounge with a cute sign, but don’t want it to break the bank since I have multiple schools to announce at! 

I’ll likely take off until the end of the school year, but it depends on if I end up needing a c-section or not. I have a very slight bicornuate uterus (look it up! It’s so weird lol) so there’s a good chance I’ll need a CS. I talked to HR and if I have one I’ll only need to take 3 unpaid days to finish out the year. If I have a vaginal delivery I’ll need to take 14 days unpaid, so I’ll potentially go back to take less unpaid days. But we’ll see! 

When/how do you plan on telling your students? I won’t do anything special for students since I don’t haven my own classroom, but I’m sure the questions will start rolling in once I’m showing more! You know how kids are! 

——
    @sivosk our spring break does not count toward parent leave. It’s a free week for me. However, my leave includes weekends which I find bizarre. 
  • @lemonlove86 Thanks! That is odd about the weekends...
    I saw a cute announcement for staff/coworkers that involved munchins from Dunkin Donuts that wouldn't be too expensive. I don't remember exactly what it said but I'm sure it was on Pinterest and would be easy to find.
  • What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? High school choir

When do/did you go back? Students? I’ve been back for two weeks! This is our first full week with kids.

Any new duties this year that you are questioning with pregnancy? Yeah. I have an overage and that’s been not fun. I’m also department head so in addition to teaching 5 classes and assisting with another, I have to sort of run my department. It’s my second year in this role and it’s fun but definitely more work.

Any questions for STM+ teachers? Or just questions/concerns in general? Not really

How many weeks do you plan to take off when baby arrives? I am going to just take off until summer. So it will be like 4.5 months!

When/how do you plan on telling your students? I have an appointment in two weeks and after that I plan to tell my boss and my coworkers. Then a few days later I’ll make announcements in my choirs.
  • What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? 6th grade ELA/ SS

Our first day was last Tuesday and kids came back this past Wednesday. 

This year I am in charge of standardized testing, I’m not too concerned because I did a lot of the job last year to help out but it will require more work. 

No questions. I’m just excited the second time around as I feel the timing on this pregnancy works better for a teacher schedule. My first has a late July birthday so I missed the beginning of the year with her and that was rough to come back to. 

Like many others I plan to take off the rest of the year. Between FMLA and sick time it will be possible. 

When/how do you plan on telling your students? I haven’t figured this one out yet. My principal knows and I’m telling the staff tonight at happy hour. I think with the kids I will just share the photos we will announce with to the rest of the world. They will be the last to know because we are announcing to the world next weekend when I am almost 12 weeks (and after our next doctor appointment). I’m ready for them to know though because of the looks at my bump and the eyebrow raises at all my snacking. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Great idea, @keeksie84! 👋🏼👋🏼👋🏼 Fellow teachers! 
    What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? 
    4th grade

I was in all last week working on my classroom and this was our teacher work week. Students come Monday! 

Nothing new, just worried about all the usual teaching chaos and feeling so hormonal and tired. Not to mention I don’t think I’ll be able to have the bladder of steel this year that I’ve mastered in the past....

Has anyone ever been out during end of year testing? I’m feeling pretty anxious/guilty about being out during such a stressful time of year. Also, how have people dealt with telling parents? In my experience at our school parents have some pretty mixed reactions to the long-term sub situation. Related, any tips for writing long term plans? Feels super overwhelming! 

Hoping to take until the end of the year. 

When/how do you plan on telling your students? Literally no clue! I had a loss last year so I’m tempted to be cautious and announce later than 12 weeks, but I’m already very puffy/bloated (10 wks today) and can tell some of my colleagues are suspicious so not sure how long I can really hide it. I just want to have all my ducks in a row before the parent start finding out so I can assure them the kids will be in good hands. 
  • @sivosk That's a great question that I hadn't considered.  I'll have to look into that for myself!

@lemonlove86 I have the biggest work crush on our technology coaches!  The ladies I work with are amazing and have really helped me improve my practice and make my projects better/more meaningful.  How long have you been in that position?

@kantobean Have you been exhausted or has it been manageable?  I'm worried that I'm going to want to come home from work and crash.  I get home at 4 and my husband usually doesn't get home until 6:30 or 7.  I'm thinking taking care of DD in the afternoons is going to be a struggle!

@AAAG13 How did announcing to your staff go?  This is only my second year at my current school and I'm such an awkward person, so I'm kind of dreading making some kind of "public" announcement at work.  

@hmjensen Good luck tomorrow!  I'm also worried about the whole peeing on a schedule thing.  My classroom is SO FAR from the staff bathroom.  I might try to get permission to use the girls' locker room across the hall.  I taught 4th grade and missed state testing with DD two years ago!  Our school has historically low test scores (despite our very very best efforts) and TBH, it was kind of a relief to miss testing.  Our families were wonderful and caring, but not the type to freak out about something like this.  I can see how you might have mixed reactions with different student/family populations.  I announced to kids and families after conferences because I didn't want to waste any conference time talking about me.  I wanted to wait until we found my long-term sub, but that didn't happen until a few weeks before I left!
  • AAAG13AAAG13 member
    edited August 2019
    @keeksie84 It went great! I pretty much just blurted it out after I was the only one not ordering an alcoholic drink. Although only half of the staff came to happy hour so I will have to repeat the message several times in the next couple of weeks. Or they can just wait to find out with the rest of the world. 

ETA @keeksie84 when are your conferences? I would like to wait to announce to my students until after but ours are in October. I know I will be showing by then. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @keeksie84 yeah honestly I’ve been pretty ok at work but I crash when I get home. Thankfully my daughter has been really into legos so she can easily play for 20-30 min with me just sitting on the couch. But I’ve been useless in terms of chores, cooking dinner, taking DD to the park or anything. We’ve done a lot of take out, and H will usually take DD on a short walk after dinner so I can relax.
  • @keeksie84 Seconded on the blump! But I'm hoping the kids are just clueless. Also I think I just... I've never weighed this much so my clothes have never fit this way before/don't fit, and I think a lot of my being paranoid ppl will notice might be "just me"? IDK.

@lemonlove86 Aw I like the idea of food and a cute sign! I think you should be able to come up with something that isn't too much? God, speaking of which I am DYING today suddenly for cake, but dogsitting & can't leave the house or at least shouldn't bc my dogs and the dog that's here have never been alone together. I texted DH but.. crickets...

What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach? University research writing and women's literature

When do/did you go back? Students? Tuesday/Monday, though as a grad student I've been to a number of events this past week plus sat on a panel to help new incoming grad students adjust. (My most memorable advice apparently was "Don't sleep with your cohort!" bc they all recognize & remember me as the person on the panel who said that lol.)

Any new duties this year that you are questioning with pregnancy? I'm supposed to be on the job market (I'm also a grad student), which I'm planning to do, but two things bc of pregnancy are a concern: 1) We might just move back home after/soon after I graduate, rather than waiting until I get a job to move and 2) I'm gong to be late in the third tri when campus interviews are supposed to take place--and I am REALLY not sure how/if that's going to fly/not fly if I can't travel? I CANNOT afford to have the baby already, let alone have it out of state/out of network (el oh el), so I really am not going to want to risk it--but I also really need a job come fall bc--well, obviously as a broke person and ESPECIALLY as a broke person with a baby on the way, I really effing need a job. So, not sure how that works...

Any questions for STM+ teachers? Or just questions/concerns in general? Any other college-level teachers here? 

How many weeks do you plan to take off when baby arrives?  I'm a grad student--who WAS going to stay on through the end of Spring semester & graduate then... before we got KU, but now I am looking to graduate this semester. Bad for our finances bc that means I don't get a check in the spring, but--it's unclear whether I get maternity benefits as a grad student, and from my interpretation of our HR's (SUPER AWESOME otherwise -_-) family leave policy, because I was not employed over the summer by the school, it doesn't apply to me. =/ I don't want to not graduate this semester and then not graduate in the spring bc it'll be third tri/newborn time--I should have graduated last spring! But alas, I did not. I also don't want to... not get paid for too too long. We can't afford that. So I would have "off" when my classes end & I graduate (maybe/hopefully) in Dec. until... I could find work. 

When/how do you plan on telling your students? We're waiting until genetic testing results before we tell most close friends/fam, and then after that, we will do a social announcement online & that is when I'll tell my students. 
  • @AAAG13 My conferences are the week before Thanksgiving, but last time I was due in April, so I was a month less pregnant than I'll be this time around.  

@kagesstarshroom I wore a tight shirt today and I felt HUGE, but when I told my coworkers many of them were like "well you hid it well."  My guess is that your students probably won't notice for a while.

Kids start this Wednesday and I'm on the fence about including my pregnancy in my "meet the teacher" slides.  I teach trimester classes, so I'm guessing that 1st tri won't really care.  
  • @sivosk dunkin donuts is a great idea- munchkins it is!!

@keeksie84 yay for tech coaches! This is my third year in the position. Previously I taught third and fourth grades in this same district. I'll happily solicit any tech coaching services to ya'll  :)

@kagesstarshroom I have no idea about traveling in third tri but do whatever is best for you! Your classes sound so cool to teach. Are you certified to teach any online courses? I looked in to teaching some through some online companies but didn't want to deal with the workload. They seem like they pay pretty well though, maybe that's an option for the spring semester to bring in some extra cash?
  • Today was our first day of school and a parent just emailed me that the bought everything on my Amazon wishlist. Now I’m teary eyed because that’s just so nice 
  • @sivosk Congrats on finishing your first day of school!! And how sweet of that parent! Teaching comes with so few material "perks", so this kind of thing is always so special to me.

I just finished my first week (well, three days) and I'm happy to say that (a) I'm less exhausted than I thought I would be, and (b) I'm really enjoying my students so far. I was pretty burnt out by the end of last year and I definitely had some "oh, this is why I am still teaching" moments already this week. 
  • @keeksie84 yay for your first week! +1 for feeling less exhausted than you anticipated. I was tired but I felt like it was a normal “first day of school” tired
  • @keeksie84 I feel like my teaching actually invigorates me? I almost wish I were teaching more classes bc when I was in the classroom last week, I felt my best.
  • What grade(s)/subject(s) do you teach?
    9-12th grade. Avid and English. 

Went back August 9th. Students came the 12th.

everything... three preps is killing me. I’m also working on my master’s degree. 

When is everyone telling their principal? And or hr?

12 if we can swing it financially.

When/how do you plan on telling your students?
    going to just tell them after I disclose to hr and supervisor. Hopefully, it’ll make them nicer to me.
  • chelsraecchelsraec member
    edited September 2019
    @sivosk That is so nice!!!
  • @cherac I have an appointment on Friday. If all goes well and we hear a heartbeat and everything, I’ll tell my principal on Monday.
  • To clarify: I’ll be 12 weeks
  • I told my principal last week at almost 14 weeks, and he was really happy for me! I’d love to know when everyone is telling HR though. I was thinking more like 20ish weeks?
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • @laurenm2123 in my district you are supposed to tell HR before anyone else, so I talked to them before school started and let my boss know shortly after I talked to HR. I’m hopefully announcing this week to my staff, just want to get NIPT results in first!

Will the district need to post for a long term sub for your position? If so, I’d probably tell HR sooner rather than later so they can start making arrangements if needed. 
  • Just realized I never answer the actual questions 🤦🏻‍♀️

@lemonlove86 I’m a school nurse at a high school so i would definitely need a long term sub to fill in for me. I guess I should start getting ready to tell HR and get the paperwork done!

Due to my low salary and the insane price of daycarefor 2 kids DH and i are going to try to have me take off 18 months and have me go back to work when our DD starts kindergarten (Sept 2020). Which means HR would have a lot of work to do!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I told my principal, assistant principal, and other teachers in my department today. I’ll probably tell students at the end of this week. Oddly enough, I’m most nervous for that part. Not sure why.
  • @kantobean your students will be so excited for you!!! I was more excited to tell my students I was getting married than my coworkers 😂 granted, they were 8, but still. 

Good luck! 
  • @kantobean I teach college kids, and I already feel weirdly about them (even tho they're adults) looking at me/my body while I teach, so I probably won't TELL them, I will just... wait for them to realize? Otherwise I feel like they'll be *looking* for it, which I don't love. I might tell my Women's Lit class first because.... the subject might come up in the readings & I might be able to be like "hey, so--" But I love that you are gonna tell your classes! They will be so excited for you & that will be so sweet. 
  • Everyone at my school knows except the kids. I’m going to try to keep it a secret from them until Halloween. I mainly just don’t want parents asking questions about the baby at conferences because they are only 10 minutes long. Conferences are the first week of October so if I can make until after that I will be happy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @kantobean have fun sharing your news! 

@kagesstarshroom I also feel weird about students looking at my body, but oddly enough I feel the opposite was about it. I don't want them looking at me and speculating. 

@AAAG13 I waited until after conferences with my first four the very same reason. I didn't want to waste any precious time.

I told my kids this week. Many of them were excited /congratulatory. Some of them didn't care. At least one per period shouted "who's the dad?" which I simply ignored. 
  • @keeksie84 kids are ridiculous. I actually kept a list of funny things kids said to me when I announced I was pregnant with my daughter. My favorite had to be “does your husband know?” 😆 No, I’m telling you guys before my husband. Really?? Close second was “are you gonna get the drugs?” 

I teach high school but these were in my self-contained SPED class. Love those kids.
  • @kagesstarshroom yeah if I taught college I probably wouldn’t announce either. Especially since I imagine most of your students won’t take a class with you second semester so it won’t really impact them. They’ll figure it out and I’m sure at least one will say something weird about it. 
  • @kantobean lol at "say something weird about it" I WILL BE SURE to let yall know when that happens. also, my diss. director knows, and every time she sees me now she looks at my midsection haha. 

I am teaching two back to back classes, and I am always like scarfing down almonds in the second class & trying to talk (I lecture a lot in that class.)
  • Yall, I had to resurrect this thread to drop this one in here for us teachers/Harry Potter fans... "PROFESSOR MINERVA McGONAGALL’S LETTER TO THE TENURE COMMITTEE"

see excerpt below & for more lols: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/professor-minerva-mcgonagalls-letter-to-the-tenure-committee

EXCERPT: "I, Professor Minerva McGonagall of House Gryffindor, respectfully submit to you my application for tenure. For the past 20 years, I have taught a 12/12 teaching load with seven preps every semester since I am, like many of my colleagues, the only member of my department. What sets me apart, however, is that I have excelled in my considerable teaching responsibilities while simultaneously serving as the Vice-President, Associate Provost, Associate Dean, Chief of Campus Safety, New Student Orientation Coordinator, Registrar, Director of Admissions, Work-Study Coordinator, Head of New Faculty Training, Director of Student Conduct, and Advisor of the Student Rebellion Army, as well as live-in R.A. and academic advisor to one quarter of the student body."
  • @kagesstarshroom that was hilarious 😂 gave me a needed laugh today. Thank you for sharing it!!