Baby Names

Arwen or Colette?

Middle name is likely Mae but it’s not set in stone. If we have a second child we’d like to use the name George/Georgia but DH feels strongly that we need to pick our favorite of these without worrying about future siblings names complementing each other. 

Arwen or Colette? 32 votes

Arwen
9% 3 votes
Colette
90% 29 votes

Re: Arwen or Colette?

• Colette sounds so much prettier to me
  • I'm not a fan if either! I would use Georgia for your first kiddo! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Of those 2 choices I'd go with Colette. But Georgia wins by a landslide in my opinion. 
  • Colette Mae or Georgia Mae sounds better.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Colette Mae But I agree that i love Georgia Mae!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Georgia Mae! 
  • Colette is on my long list. So pretty and underused. 
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Not a fan of Arwen and tend to think "boy" when seeing it. I like Colette and Georgia or Georgianna.
  • Colette is my oldest. I seems to be the top choice here. I was not top choice over all. We call her Lettie most of the time. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• doodleoodledoodleoodle member
    edited October 2019
    So, I Googled Arwen to see if it was a boy’s name and saw that it is a name from LOTR. Is this why you’re considering it?

Edited to suggest Nicolette as an alternative if you aren’t sold on Collette 
  • @doodleoodle yes we are Tokien fans and DH really loves the name Arwen in general. He’s worried Colette is too feminine. 
    I like Nicolette but my husband’s best friend is Nick and one of mine is Nicole so we probably won’t go there. 
  • @doodleoodle yes we are Tokien fans and DH really loves the name Arwen in general. He’s worried Colette is too feminine. 
    I like Nicolette but my husband’s best friend is Nick and one of mine is Nicole so we probably won’t go there. 
    It’s a girl, right?

Go with a real, female name. Not a made up fictional name because you want to be trendy and do the masculine-name-on-girls trend. It’s overdone and annoying. Georgia is nice, too. But Colette is beautiful, underused, and a real name. Why would it be bad to give a female a feminine name? 
  • Not everyone who has a daughter wants a super fem name. To each their own. Arwen isn't my cup of tea but if it has meaning to you then who cares? My youngest daughter was almost Collins after Phil Collins. She ended up a Maxine. If you and your husband like it, great. Nothing wrong with Colette either but again, not my style.
  • @Wishilivedinflorida your tone is unnecessarily harsh. Yes our baby is a girl but plenty of people are drawn to more neutral names. Classic literature has inspired names throughout history. Being rude to people on the internet is overdone and annoying. 
  • @independentgeorge Yikes if that’s rude, don’t hang around TB too long. Wasn’t trying to be rude, but sorry, not going to squee over another parent trying to name their daughter something “more neutral” or “less feminine.” Because, if the tables were turned and you were having a boy, would you be looking for a “less masculine” name? I doubt it, sincerely. Its tiring to see the trend of trying to “man up” female names. We see it A LOT here.  Ultimately, it’s your choice and your style, but if you come on here asking for opinions, you’re probably not going to like all of the ones you get. Sorry you didn’t like mine. But it’s something to seriously ponder. 
  • harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited October 2019
    @Wishilivedinflorida your tone is unnecessarily harsh. Yes our baby is a girl but plenty of people are drawn to more neutral names. Classic literature has inspired names throughout history. Being rude to people on the internet is overdone and annoying. 

That is not harsh at all! Its truth.  Honestly my initial response I was going to put, I restrained myself, because I thought it was harsh, but I'll post it now: why would you wait to use George/Georgia? There is no guarantee you will have a second child.  There is a such thing as secondary infertility,  guess what I'm one of them.  There are no guarantees in life!
  • Wow, I'm surprised that noone liked the Arwen variant. This is just a beautiful name alone, and that it's "elvish" isn't bad. In my opinion, it associates with a whise, mysterious and beautiful person.