February 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Gliders

This week’s product spotlight will be: gliders
  • STM+: Did you own one? Worth it?
  • Brand/Store
  • Pros/cons
  • Does it recline?
  • Is there a foot rest/ottoman?
  • What will you do with it when baby no longer needs it?

Re: Product Spotlight: Gliders

• STM+: Did you own one? Worth it? Yes. And it depends. You can absolutely get away with not having a rocker/glider. But if you have space it is nice to have. Those first 2 months DS and I spent a lot of time in the thing with him sleeping on me (and me reading). We attempted BF there. We read there before every nap and bed and still do. 
    • Brand/Store we got a dutalier from Amazon
    • Pros/cons- Gliders are ugly. Period. If you can move past this, they can be comfy as hell. I fully plan on getting rid of it once kids are older there. It’s not like this will be a living room piece. Nope. It’s a hideous baby chair. 
    • Does it recline? YES. absolutely get one that rocks/glides and reclines
    • Is there a foot rest/ottoman? Yes. Also clutch. 
    • What will you do with it when baby no longer needs it? Sell it
    • STM+: Did you own one? Worth it? Yes, it’s amazing and I can’t imagine having a baby without one.
    • Brand/Store Ashley/Morris Home Furnishings. It’s this chair https://www.morrisathome.com/item/glider-rockers-henley-glider-rocker-and-ottoman/1817232120 the options shown look really ugly but you can special order different wood finishes and cushion coverings. We ordered a dark chocolate brown wood finish with light grey cushions and it looks really nice. It was a bit pricey, but I spent hours at a time in it nursing and trying to get baby to sleep. You need a good quality chair.
    • Pros/cons The cushion covers are removable in case of spit up etc. The chair itself is wood so it’s simple and easy to wipe clean. It’s the most comfortable chair in the house. The only con would be the price. I believe it was around $500-$600, but furniture store reps are always trying to knock down the price to make money so that will help.
    • Does it recline? No
    • Is there a foot rest/ottoman? There is an ottoman that also glides.
    • What will you do with it when baby no longer needs it? Probably put it in the playroom so that there is a comfy chair in there for an adult. I still use it everyday at naptime and bedtime with my 2 year old and will probably have to get a new (less expensive rocking) chair for her room once this baby arrives, which is what I did for DD1 when DD2 was born. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I did not get a glider and have an easy chair in DD's room. I did eventually buy a recliner chair that also rocks, and wish I had gotten it earlier. It looks like this https://www.raymourflanigan.com/thane-power-swivel-glider-recliner-280030102.aspx

The only comment is that I can't reach the floor comfortably to rock (I'm 5'5") so this time I am going to get a little stool to help push off. The great thing about it is one night when DD1 was particularly sick and could not sleep without an incline I held her in the recliner and slept all night and was pretty comfortable. (I'm sure people would say this isn't recommended blah blah but whatever). 

My favorite thing about using the recliner instead of a glider is it doesn't have a shelf-life. We can continue to use this baby for years. DD1 now loves to climb up and use the power recliner and relax by herself :smiley:
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• rikiteacuprikiteacup member
    edited October 2019
    You guys convinced me to get one. Right now, I have my eyes on this one.
    https://www.deltachildren.com/products/emma-tufted-glider-1
    It needs to look like a normal chair so I can reuse it in another room.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• STM+: Did you own one? Worth it? We bought a big, cushy rocker 
    • Brand/Store No idea, we bought it used on Craigslist’s 
    • Pros/cons Super cozy, great for breastfeeding, snuggling, story time (even as kiddo gets bigger). No cons.
    • Does it recline? No
    • Is there a foot rest/ottoman? No
    • What will you do with it when baby no longer needs it? We no longer have it, but that’s because it got horrible stains (blood and poop) that were beyond salvage. If those accidents wouldn’t have happened, it would still be in DS’s room for his leisure.
  • Did you own one? Worth it?
    Yes!! Any time we traveled and were in a room without one I desperately missed it.  It was so comfy, especially for the witching hour when DD needed to be in a dark room with a sound machine going, being rocked, shushed, and having her bum pat.  Every MOTN feeding or rocking her to get her to sleep.  Now that she is 2 we still use it every day before nap and bedtime for snuggles and books.  We are debating getting a second one for the baby or taking DD's and doing something else for her.  H suggested we just use the regular old rocking chair we have as decoration in our bedroom.  I nearly killed him for that, a regular rocking chair is so uncomfortable and doesn't glide/rock easily.

Brand/Store
    Dutailier which we got at Babies R US back when it existed in the US.  I think it's this one: https://dutailierstore.com/en_US/product/ontario-glider-and-ottoman-set/

Pros/cons
    Pros: It is super easy to glide, can be locked in place so there is no gliding, can recline a bit and also be locked in place in the reclined position, has an ottoman that glides too, ottoman has a "breastfeeding foot rest" but we never used it.
    Cons: it looks like a glider so it's not the prettiest piece of furniture but whatever

Does it recline?
    yes

Is there a foot rest/ottoman? 
    yes 

What will you do with it when baby no longer needs it?
    I think it's a really comfy chair and would totally read a book in it.  If we have a space that is like an office or something I'd consider keeping it.
  • craftywitchcraftywitch member
    edited October 2019
    STM+: Did you own one? Worth it? We owned a bottom of the line Target one and I did not think it was worth it.

Brand/Store: https://www.target.com/p/storkcraft-tuscany-white-frame-glider-and-ottoman/-/A-14493853?preselect=21486655#lnk=sametab

Pros/cons: Place to nurse, but didn't recline, was basically cheap plywood with seat covers tied on, I couldn't sleep in it, wasn't super comfy.

Does it recline? No

Is there a foot rest/ottoman? Yes

What will you do with it when baby no longer needs it? We left it in DS's room until recently when we set up 2 beds in there. I tried to sell it on FB Marketplace for $20 and no takers, lowered it to $10 and people are all over it. Eh whatever, I just want it gone.
  • Has anyone heard anything about the Babyletto gliders? I'm eyeing up this one because of the price / small footprint and it seems to have good reviews everywhere. 

https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/babyletto-madison-swivel-glider-in-slate-microsuede/1042964247?brandId=2433
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • @brookert615 I wonder if the back might not be too short meaning your head will have no support. That's one of the main complaints I've seen for similar rockers/gliders. 
    TTC#1
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2

• @rikiteacup I think I might try and visit a BuyBuy Baby and kind of sit in a bunch of them lol. Thanks for the input! 
    TW
  • @brookert615 I agree with @rikiteacup - there is no support for you in that chair - what if you have to sit in it for hours? There is no place to put your head! Nursing can take thirty minutes+ at first and in the MOTN you are going to want to have a place to put your head.
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• STM+: Did you own one? Worth it? Yes. Worth it. 
    • Brand/Store: Ours is from PB Kids (Comfort Swivel Rocker?).
    • Pros/cons: Pros is that it’s super comfy and nice looking. I bought it over 7 years ago with my first, and it’s still going strong. It’s also slip covered and washes very easily. With three boys, that has been a huge plus. Also, I can buy a new slip cover to match my first girl nursery! 🤗 Con is that it’s not cheap, but it was worth the investment for me. 
    • Does it recline? No
    • Is there a foot rest/ottoman? Yes, but not necessary. I hardly ever use the ottoman (it kind of hurt my back to hold the baby and have my feet up; plus, I can’t rock). 
    • What will you do with it when baby no longer needs it? I’ll probably buy a new slipcover and put it in my bedroom. It’s a really nice, comfy chair, and I don’t plan on getting rid of it. 
  • @therealbitts PB stuff is so nice but so overpriced. When I was looking online for rockers, I saw one in a little window on top of the Google search with a price of $285. I was really excited only to find out it was for the ottoman only.
    TTC#1

TTC #2

• @brookert615 I tried that one and didn’t like it due to the lack of support. I really like babyletto products but that one didn’t work. Trying them out at BBB is what we did. The rule of thumb is the uglier they are, the more comfy they are
  • @rikiteacup yes, my con was definitely that it isn’t cheap. But given how many hours and babies I’ve rocked in it, it’s been worth it to have something nice looking and comfortable. Plus I can wash it and use it after my kids no longer need it. So it was a worthy investment for me. 
  • @therealbitts I went to their website and found a great chair for $799, on sale. I figured with the 20% off they have going on right now, it would be an OK price. Wrong! The 20% off doesn't apply to this product (of course) and there is a $149 delivery fee. With tax, it was over $1K. Nope.
    TTC#1

TTC #2

• @rikiteacup Oye. I can't even process spending 1k on a chair. I was talking to DH last night about how stressed I was picking a chair and he's like all for the chair with all the bells and whistles and when I told him the prices his tune changed quite dramatically. But he did talk me out of wanting an actual rocking chair which I was leaning towards - so progress? 
    TW
  • We got ours on Wayfair it was listed for $790 but the closeout deal was $240 so we grabbed it.  Unfortunately it's out of stock now but it's a plush recliner that rocks and swivels so I think we will get a lot of use out of it.  I was a little hesitant buying something online that I didn't see in person but it was such a good deal and had free shipping so I couldn't resist.  I've already used it to read to him and it's really comfortable so I'm happy with the purchase.
    Me:37 MH:37
    TTGP since 07/2017
    **TW** in spoiler
    DX: PCOS, anovulatory, AMA
    Femara X3: no response
    Clomid X3: BFN (cyst and thin lining)
    IUI (Dec '18) MMC
    IVF (April '19) 9 retrieved, 7 fertilized, 2 normal PGT-A
    FET 06/12/19 - BFP! EDD 02/27/20

• Wayfair is awesome! 
  • @celticknotfire and @mandk1233, my H used to work for Wayfair! We got free/cheap stuff from them a lot. He quit in a blaze of glory but that’s a story for another time lol
  • They are expensive but La-Z-Boy makes a cute recliner. And I know the quality!
    https://www.la-z-boy.com/p/recliners/addison-rocking-recliner/_/R-010764
  • @celticknotfire Dang, what a great deal!!!! 
    TW
  • @jvk2012 I am curious about this story now.

@burr1371 La-Z-Boy is the best, but so expensive if you have to pay retail. 
  • @jvk2012 I have been really happy with everything we've bought from them so far. I love crazy quitting stories!
    TTGP since 07/2017
    **TW** in spoiler
    IUI (Dec '18) MMC

• @celticknotfire and @mandk1233, H is a database administrator so he works on the technical side.  There were some issues he was having there but the Tuesday right before Thanksgiving he called me to tell me he was going to give his 2 week notice because of some stuff going down.  I told him I supported him and if that's what he needed to do so be it.  They wanted his team to have someone sitting at a computer 24/7 for Thanksgiving and Black Friday which was only 2-3 days away.  His team came up with a plan to have a few hour rotation of on call where someone would check in frequently but may not be sitting there 24/7.  They already have an on call team that sits there 24/7 year round to call the on call people when there is a problem so it was ridiculous to demand all these extra people give up their holiday to also sit at a computer "just in case" when they already have to respond to an on call page.  The team's proposed solution was rejected and H was fed up and told them "F this" and walked out of the conference room and got all his stuff and left.  He then called me like 30 mins after the initial call to tell me he had quit on the spot and was waiting for his train home.  I was 11 weeks pregnant with DD and we were about to tell family on Thanksgiving.  We were also on his health insurance.  So there was a bit of scrambling and awkward "So H quit his job and surprise were pregnant!" at Thanksgiving but it all worked out.  We went to a party with a bunch of his former coworkers like 6 months later and they said people in the office still talked about when he quit and walked out.  
  • @jvk2012 Wow! I don't blame him for quitting like that under the circumstances. Big companies can be so dumb sometimes. 
  • @jvk2012 I do not blame him one bit for quitting with crazy demands like that.  Good for him for sticking up for his team too because a lot of leaders don't know how to do that.
    TTGP since 07/2017
    **TW** in spoiler
    IUI (Dec '18) MMC

• rikiteacuprikiteacup member
    edited October 2019
    FYI, this chair (Delta Children Emma) was on display at a Target I went to during lunch. It was very comfortable. I am 5'6" and my head was comfortably resting on the back. It swivels and rocks. Fabric is very nice and looks like it repels stains.

TTC#1

TTC #2

• @rikiteacup Thanks for sharing! It’s on my list lol 
    TW