May 2020 Moms

The Ultrasound Thread

Re: The Ultrasound Thread

• @natuchys1201 Keeping everything crossed for you that everything checks out okay at your next scan. Big hugs! 
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @natuchys1201 I'm sorry you are going through this.  The waiting to find out if your little nugget is ok or not is terrible.  When I was in a similar position the doctor had me come back one week later for a repeat ultrasound to see if there was the appropriate growth.  It may be worth asking if there's anyway they can see you sooner just to help set your mind at ease.
  • Loading the player...
  • @babytexidor I was told during my scan that they don't usually listen to the heartbeat this early because it requires more soundwaves which could be harmful I guess. We were able to see the flicker and she measured it still, just couldn't listen to it. But like @mokay19 said, if they weren't worried, try not to worry. 

Trigger warning

me: 28 dh: 34
    married since October 2015-started trying immediately
    dx: PCOS, anovulatory
    rx: provera metformin progesterone
    *TW*
    BFP August 2016- early mc- Enoch Matthis
    1 clomid cycle (March 2017)
    BFP March 2017  ~  EDD December 13, 2017
    di/di TWINS!!!!! vanishing twin- Hannah Jordan
    DS-Nov 23, 2017- emergency induction-- Pre-eclampsia
    *End TW*
    BFP Sept.2019

• junash245junash245 member
    edited October 2019
    Went in for our first ultrasound today and based on the first day of my last period (8/3) they figured it would be an 8 week appointment but the baby measured 6w 0d. They’re having us come back in a week for another ultrasound to make sure that it’s growing. I wasn’t tracking my ovulation or periods regularly (this was a happy surprise!). I actually only wrote down the 1st day of my last period because my periods came more frequently than normal over the summer. So they said it could just be that since I had weird periods over the summer the count/ovulation is off or it could mean it’s not developing correctly.

This is my first time being pregnant and I’m trying to stay calm but just curious if any of you went in and were less far along than you thought?

Honestly the count including the period is kind of confusing to me. I feel like mathematically speaking it would make sense for the baby to be 6 weeks based on when I think ovulation and implantation would have occurred but would love some feedback! 
  • @Knottie97311397 if you ovulated later in your cycle, the gestational age of your baby will be lower than you may have expected based on LMP. For example, I didn’t ovulate until day 19, so our EDD is based on that rather than on my LMP. It ends up being a difference of 5 days for me personally. If your periods/ovulation are irregular, LMP isn’t an accurate way to measure where you “should” be in pregnancy. I hope that makes sense.
  • Hi @Knottie97311397, and welcome.  When you get a chance, please head over to Knottie usernames to learn how to change your username to something more easily recognizable so we can interact with you here.  Also, please introduce yourself on our Introduce Yourself Here thread and tell us a little bit about yourself.  We try to keep questions and conversation to a minimum on this thread and reserve in mainly for ultrasound images and love-its so it doesn't get too huge.  We have threads here that cover just about every topic, including one specific to questions.  That would be a great place to ask about dating by ovulation vs. LMP.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• Went in for our first ultrasound today and based on the first day of my last period (8/3) they figured it would be an 8 week appointment but the baby measured 6w 0d. They’re having us come back in a week for another ultrasound to make sure that it’s growing. I wasn’t tracking my ovulation or periods regularly (this was a happy surprise!). I actually only wrote down the 1st day of my last period because my periods came more frequently than normal over the summer. So they said it could just be that since I had weird periods over the summer the count/ovulation is off or it could mean it’s not developing correctly.

This is my first time being pregnant and I’m trying to stay calm but just curious if any of you went in and were less far along than you thought?

Honestly the count including the period is kind of confusing to me. I feel like mathematically speaking it would make sense for the baby to be 6 weeks based on when I think ovulation and implantation would have occurred but would love some feedback! 
    How far along you should be is time since ovulation plus 2 weeks.  If you have 28 day cycles, then the doctor is correct in that you should be close to 8 weeks.  If your cycles are typically longer then you would be less tha 8 weeks.  If you aren’t really sure then they just do another scan 1-2 weeks later to see if there is appropriate growth in this time.  Don’t worry yet!  
  • Congratulations mommies it’s sure so exciting to see baby and hear the heartbeat 💗 . I am about 8 weeks according to my measurements. I don’t see my OB Till the 31 of October I would be 3 month by that time . 
  • Hi @knottie9e9848c203e9b39e, and welcome.  When you have a minute, please head over to the Knottie usernames thread to see instructions on how to change your username to something more easily recognizable, to make it easier for us to interact with you.  Then, you can head over to *** read this first *** board organization to learn about the guidelines we follow here.  Finally, you can introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself Here thread and tell us a bit about yourself.  This is the ultrasound thread, and we try to reserve it for ultrasound photos and limit the conversation that occurs here.  There are threads for symptoms, questions, due date check-ins, appointments, and even one for random thoughts.  I hope this helps and you're able to join us!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• I went for an ultrasound, and I honestly couldn't see anything, at some point I thought, maybe I am not pregnant 😅. So no heartbeat or even a dot. Also, based on the findings I am 5 weeks and 6 days, however if calculated based on the day of my last period, I am 7 weeks... This is so confusing... 

• I went for an ultrasound, and I honestly couldn't see anything, at some point I thought, maybe I am not pregnant 😅. So no heartbeat or even a dot. Also, based on the findings I am 5 weeks and 6 days, however if calculated based on the day of my last period, I am 7 weeks... This is so confusing... 

Sorry to hear your confusion, but even at 5 weeks and 6 days there should be something on the ultrasound. Did your doctor tell you to come back or did they run some bloodwork?
  • Hi @knottie7be0e8e4079557f8 Can you change your user name to something more recognizable?  See my post directly above yours for more info.  We'd like to try to get to know you, and that's really hard to do with a knottie username.  You might get better insights from other ladies on something like the questions or appointments thread.  We reserve this thread for ultrasound photos only and try to keep conversation to a minimum.

That said, did you have a follow-up with your OB after your ultrasound?  You shouldn't be left to interpret your own ultrasound results.  I hope you get some clarity sooon!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

Generally, if you are clear on your dates, something is visible at this time if it is a viable pregnancy.  That being said, early ultrasounds don't look like much and if I didn't have a doctor explaining it I certainly wouldn't think anything I saw is indicative of a baby.  I hope you get to meet with the doctor to go over the scan soon and get good news.  Some US techs are better at explaining things than others.
  • It's really cool to see them in the same sac! Mine are in different sacs -- it doesn't look at all the same.
  • @sbishop426 it looks sooo much more like a baby after 10 weeks!!!!  This is awesome.  I can’t wait until my next scan now.
  • @Austenista I have my first US in a couple days and my uterus was tilted with DD so I was wondering if they'd be able to get a good look. Did they get the HB? I wasn't offered a scan before 12 weeks with my first so I don't know what to expect this time. With DD they couldn't get the HB with a doppler at 9-weeks. It was definitely stressful!
  • @jrouge12 They got a HB on me transvaginally at 6w and I have a tilted uterus too. 😊 Still couldn't get it on doppler at 10w though. 
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @jrouge12 yep, we got a good heartbeat in and out. She did better finding our little blob baby on the outside than transvaginally.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker