April 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight - breast pumps and accessories

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Breast Pumps and Accessories!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For all:

• Brand
  • Pros/cons
  • Battery powered or outlet?
  • Open or closed system?
  • Accessories?
  • Compatible bottles?
  • Tips on dealing with insurance
  • Pumping bras?
To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j7iBv8rbDsTBMXAK7R3NWhG-619XNbpdNza2uci0iYs/edit#gid=0!
Next up: Diapering
BabyFruit Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Product Spotlight - breast pumps and accessories

• I loved my Medela dual electric pump. Through my DH insurance I got a free one with my first and I have pumped 100’s of ounces. 😄 It’s the only brand I have used, but is so efficient IMO. 

• I also used a Medela pump and all its accessories and was always happy with it. I used the plug in one, but mostly pumped in my office at work, so that was fine. 

I highly highly recommend keeping a hand pump on hand as well. I used it while traveling away from my baby (I pumped and dumped, and just used pumping to keep my supply up and avoid mastitis). It was also really helpful on the occasion when I did develop mastitis. Pumping in a very hot shower was helpful in opening up my milk ducts.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a Medela Pump in Style. I really liked it, but I didn’t use it very long. I hope to have better luck this time and want to see if I can get another pump through my insurance so I can have one at work too. 

I didn’t have much luck breastfeeding with DS as my milk production was really low, nearly non-existent, even a month after he was born. I say this not to make a statement about formula feeding vs breastfeeding or anything, just so that FTMs know it can happen. I can tell the whole story later if anyone is interested, but it was a bit traumatic. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
    • Brand - Medela in Style
    • Pros/cons - No Cons
    • Battery powered or outlet? - Both, there's even a car adapter 
    • Open or closed system? - Open
    • Accessories?
    • Compatible bottles? - Medela bottle
    • Tips on dealing with insurance - My insurance was easy to deal with, just faxed a copy if the "prescription" 
    • Pumping bras? - Lansinoh adjustable one all the way, as your boobs will change so much over the course of breastfeeding
    I used Medela in Style and was an Exclusive Pumper for both of my kids.  I never had any issues with supply or suction and have no complaints.  I suggest have a couple sets of parts on hand for when you don't feel like washing them. 

Also a little tip, breast milk is super greasy and hard to remove, even in the dishwasher.  I would soak my parts and the bottles and nipples in a dish pan with hot water, dish soap, and a quality does of  vinegar and then put them in the dishwasher.    

Check to see if your employer (or through your employers health insurance) has a breastfeeding support program.  I ended up getting two pumps for free and would have scheduled calls with a lactation consultant.

I second @aresee with the manual pump. I didn't have one but wish I did since sometimes bringing the whole electric set up is cumbersome.     
  • I got a Medela manual pump and a free Pump in Style via insurance. Never actually used the electric one because breastfeeding went relatively smoothly and I didn't want to deal with it.

I definitely appreciated having the manual pump to relieve pressure when he took longer naps or to pump a bit for DH to give him every once in a while.

Im looking into the Haaka or something similar this time around. Anyone have any experience with milk collectors vs pumps?
  • To add onto @mercury94's comment, please don't feel pressured to breast feed as a FTM. I never had any desire to breastfeed, so I made the decision not to from the start, but I give kudos to moms that want to and can successfully.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had issues with my supply so I wound up getting the Avent double electric pump, mostly because I already had avent bottles and partly because it was on sale when I went to get one. I had to pump after every feeding for a while which took up so. Much. Time. But DS is now 15 months and we're still going so obviously something worked.
    The only thing that I wasn't happy about was the fact that no local stores sell avent replacement parts, so when my flange broke on one of the pumps I had to order online and wait 3 weeks for delivery. Wasn't ideal because I was back to work then and trying to keep my pumping time to a minimum.
    I also have a manual pump which worked well for when I was out and not able to use the electric pump.
    I'm thinking very strongly about getting a haaka or similar this time around since I know I tend to leak a LOT in the beginning.
    I didn't get a pumping bra. Kept meaning to and forgetting (yay adhd) so I just took a maternity bra that didn't fit me well and cut two slits in it. It worked 😂
    Our insurance doesn't cover "devices" so unfortunately we had to pay cash for it. Luckily my husband's family is very generous and we got quite a bit of money from a baby shower that my mother-in-law threw.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I think I’ll get a medela likely. I was also reading somewhere lots of good reviews about spectra pumps but I don’t think they sell them in Canada. 

Ive heard nothing but great things about haakas. Anyone BF should look into one. If you are exclusively pumping you wouldn’t use this but it suctions on your other breast while you’re nursing and catch the letdown. Easy way to build a little stash without actually taking up any extra time. 
  • Spectra over here and while I didn't pump long, it was awesome. I now have lent them to multiple people as their office back ups and they love them as well! Hospital grade, easy to use, not as bulky!
    Parts were harder to find but are now at Target a  lot, so yay!

Hands free pump bra was also a necessity. 

But Kenzie had throat issues and Spencer, well, you know that story so formula was the only real option for my kids. I felt sad for a bit, but I did what was best for my kids to get the nutrition they needed in the way they needed it. So I consider that a win.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited September 2019
    @mflowers929 Yes with the cutting an old bra!  I completely forgot I did that with DD1.  I used an old sports bra!

Edit to add, if you do buy a pumping bra I suggest black.  I don't know about anyone else but my pink one ended up super stained from drippage.  
    • Brand: with my first two, used the Spectra S2. This time I selected the Freemie so I could be Moreno hands free. I still have one of spectras (as well as a manual) so options!
    • Pros/cons: super easy to use, not too bulky so could travel with it, easy to clean. At the time, could only buy extra pieces online but I saw that now target sells extra pieces. 
    • Battery powered or outlet? Outlet. 
    • Open or closed system? Closed
    • Accessories? Didn’t have anything extra besides what it came with. I do recommend investing in a good pump bag (didn’t come with one). Makes all the difference. 
    • Compatible bottles? Avent 
    • Tips on dealing with insurance: umm it was super easy. Your OB should give you a handout of places you can order from. 
    • Pumping bras? I have the medela one that I put right over a nursing tank. 
    So these are some tips I have for those going back to work. All the little things made it easier. 

Invest in a good breast pump bag. You’ll be carting it back and forth a lot!

Keep extra pieces at work. I forgot to repack pieces after washing them over the weekend so was a life saver to have a back up. 

Lots of nipple cream. 

The kiinde breastmilk storage bag was amazing. It fits their reusable bags or any breastmilk bag plus comes with ice packs. 

I loved the OXO travel bottle dry rack to keep at work. I washed my bottles after every pump and just placed them on this dry rack in my office. The medela quick clean wipes were also handy too. 

Buy/register for a manual (hand) pump. I would bring mine on dates, trips or if I was just a little to full. 

I couldn’t believe how many times I actually pumped in the car (damn traffic) so a car outlet charger and pump bra were a must. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020