Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Postpartum Pain - Recovery

kellyb1992kellyb1992 member
edited September 2019 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Not sure if there is already a thread on this, but has anyone else experienced pain for a long period of time?

I gave birth vaginally over 7 weeks ago and I'm still feeling sore. Up until 6 weeks I was in so much pain I was in tears most days. No one I've talked to has experienced this, and I most of the information online says 7-10 days or a few weeks.

Re: Postpartum Pain - Recovery

• Options
    Not sure if there is already a thread on this, but has anyone else experienced pain for a long period of time?

I gave birth vaginally over 7 weeks ago and I'm still feeling sore. Up until 6 weeks I was in so much pain I was in tears most days. No one I've talked to has experienced this, and I most of the information online says 7-10 days or a few weeks.
    What was your birth like? Did you have excessive tearing? Have you spoken to your doctor about your pain and been checked out? There are many factors that could be causing your pain and if you have been in that much pain for that long you should definitely get it checked out. It could also be non-pregnancy related.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I had a very difficult birth, 30 hours of labor, 3 of pushing which ended up in forceps. Lots of tearing, in the labia and in the vaginal walls. I had a tear on my perineum, but it was only a second degree and that pain went away pretty quickly (within a few weeks). My NP told me I had a rare kind of tearing that went horizontally on the inside, which is where the pain is the most now. I'm taking topical estrogen cream to try to help, going to see a PT, and considering making a consultation with a surgeon. I've been in to see my OB many times and it seems they don't have a solution for me. I feel like I'm going crazy, and it's not something women talk about much but it would feel really nice to have some answers. Just to know if this happens to people or if it's something more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you know the cause of your pain, I’d encourage you to seek treatment through the avenues recommended by your doctor. But in answer to your question, 7 weeks (more now) is not unheard of as far as healing time goes, especially for the kind of trauma your body has been through.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I had an extensive episiotomy so a little different than the tearing but I imagine recovery is similar.  I was fine and recovering well, and then suddenly one day I could barely walk I was in so much pain.  We have a two story home, with ours and baby's bedroom upstairs and living space downstairs- I was doing a flight of stairs multiple times a day, usually while carrying baby.  My Dr said I was doing too much and made me create a space downstairs to spend all day in - feeding, changing etc- and told me I could only go up and down the stairs once a day or stay up in bed all day.  I did that for almost two weeks and the pain went away and healed perfect. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I had a 4th degree tear and was in excruciating pain for 3 weeks (like crying and body shaking pain). I'm 9 weeks postpartum now and the pain is manageable but I still sting when urinating. My OB says that I'm healed but to wait a couple more weeks before having sex because it felt so painful when she pressed her fingers against my perineum. I was also told to do kegels (which I keep forgetting about). And I still like using the spray bottle sometimes when I feel too tender to wipe.
  • Options
    I had increasing pain. There was extra swelling. Found an infection. Definitely have the doctor take a closer look just in case.