Trying to Get Pregnant

GTKY - What are you reading?

bows22bows22 member
edited September 2019 in Trying to Get Pregnant

Let’s talk books! 

What are you reading? What do you like/dislike about it?

What’s something you’ve read recently that you really loved and recommend?

Re: GTKY - What are you reading?

• @kpearse99 hahaha seriously! I usually read before bed but it’s usually catching up on TB and then like 5 minutes of reading
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been trying to get through the Wheel of Time series. My husband has been raving about it for years. The entire first book is just so slow. And then even after that it will be good for a chapter or two and then go back to painfully boring mundane things. I finished book three and I am trying to pep talk myself into book 4. I keep picking it up, reading a page or two, and the giving up doing something else.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @saladflambe I loved on the come up and the hate u give! Im on a major historical fiction kick, particularly anything WWII. Lilac Girls, Lost Roses, Tattooist of Auschwitz were some favorites lately. The Great Alone and anything Kristin Hannah. 
  • I really need to read more..... but while I was in Florida, I read The Last Mrs. Parrish and thought it was really good! A beachy type read- nothing super serious. 
  • @mvt2003 same. I read a ton! 

I just recently finished the storm light archive series and the mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Both were very good, long, well written book series. I’m currently reading sabriel by Garth nix and it’s good but written for a younger audience so a more fast paced and less development compared to the others I’ve read recently. I’m a huge fantasy sci-fi fan. But I like some regular stuff too. 
  • @NamelessAria my DH is reading the Wheel of Time series for the second time! He loves it, but said it was probably too hardcore for me! Lol. He eased me into Sci-fi/fantasy with Harry Potter...and I’ve read several different things since that I’ve really enjoyed (most recently the Mistborn series), but don’t think I’ll be attempting WoT! Good luck getting through it...that’s such a huge commitment!! 

@photographerwife I just finished the Mistborn series!! I plan on starting the Stormlight Archive series soon...I needed to switch things up though, because like you said...they are both long series! 

I’m reading the first book in the Six Tudor Queens series, recommended by @emeraldduchess and I’m really enjoying it! It’s crazy how important it was back in the 1500’s (and later) to have a male heir...Katherine of Aragon hasn’t had much luck with that yet, but I’m hoping that changes for her! I’m not a history person at all, but I’ve enjoyed this being historical fiction!
  • bows22bows22 member
    edited September 2019
    I just started “Nine Perfect Strangers” by Liane Moriarty. I’m concerned that I am not going to be able to keep up with the characters’ individual stories. Also, I’ve read her other books and I don’t really enjoy her writing style, but I keep going back since she usually comes up with compelling plot lines! We will see. 

I recently finished “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I thought it was going to be just OK from the synopsis but I loved it. It was an easy read but a really nice story. 

@mvt2003 are there books from your list that would recommend for someone who doesn’t have the mental capacity by the end of the day to focus on a complex story? Also @b_1029 I have that on my list to read so glad to hear it was good!
  • @bows22 Absolutely!!! If you're looking for less complexity, my recommendations would be Evvie Drake Starts Over or What She Ate - alternately Conviction was a very quick read and takes inspiration from the podcast world, so it's easier to digest in chunks. 
    me: 35 / so: 34 | ttc #1 since 9/2018
    DX: MFI
    IVF Cycle #1 February 2020 4 embryos frozen, 1 fresh transfer = CP 
    FET #1 Natural Cycle March 2020 CXL'd due to Covid-19 :( 
    FET #1 Natural Cycle June 2020 - CP #2
    FET #2 Natural Cycle July 2020 - BFP!!!!!! Beta #1 = 273

June Signature Challenge - Favorite TV Quotes

• @bluetickgal you might would like the Riyria Chronicals if you liked Mistborn. The interactions between the two main characters are just amazing. There is enough humor to break up a story that tends to be a little dark in places. I listened to the audio book and the reader did a fantastic job. I don't typically prefer the audiobook format but yeah. My husband loved Mistborn. I read the first book and it was too dark for me.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @bows22 I normally love Liane Moriarty but did not love Nine Perfect Strangers. It was just kinda...too weird, I think. Loved Evelyn Hugo though! 
  • For my fellow fantasy fans @bluetickgal @NamelessAria @photographerwife have you ladies read the Belgariad and the Mallorean by David Eddings? I feel like it might be almost time for a re-read for me, but they're not available as e-books, which are so much easier for me to read right now. Maybe as audiobooks this time around. 

• I want to read the His Dark Materials series (Golden Compass, etc) before the series comes out on HBO in November. DH loves it and my brothers had also highly recommended it to me. 
  • @gingermama29 HOLD UP. Like, it's a TV show now?? I loved that book!! I never did make it through The Amber Spyglass (whatever the last book was called). I read The Golden Compass back in elementary school. They made a movie of it years ago too.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • @mvt2003 I added them to my list! Thanks!
  • @NamelessAria thanks, I’ll add that to my Goodreads to check out! Yeah, Mistborn was a little dark...but it didn’t really bother me. I do like the idea of having some humor to break it up though...Mistborn did not have that! I would suggest the Locke Lamora series, but that’s a little darker than Mistborn probably. I really enjoyed it...waiting on the 4th book to come out though (which has apparently been promised forever)! 

@mvt2003 oh, I haven’t read those, but I’ll add them to my Goodreads too! Thanks! I am loving this thread for all the suggestions! 

@gingermama29 we actually bought that series a bit ago for future kids but both want to read through it soon! I never read it as a kid...I feel like I missed out!
  • @mvt2003 How do you usually listen to the audiobooks?  I looked into audible, but it seems pretty expensive for one book per month.  
    Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
  • @inthewoods23 YES!! And Lin-Manuel Miranda is in the new show which was a HUGE draw for me!!! ❤️
  • @ziggymama06 Do you have a library card? My library has an Overdrive/Libby account and that has been amazing for audiobooks!!!

• @ziggymama06 I use overdrive through my library too. It’s amazing 
  • @mvt2003 and @bows22 wow that's awesome!  Thank you I will totally check that out!
    Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
  • This tread has motivated me to get reading! I started a book a few weeks ago and haven't picked it back up because I got busy. Really want to read it though! 

@mvt2003 thank you for all the suggestions! I have so many things already to read sitting on my shelf but theres always room for more! Libraries are the best! 
  • I think I tried The Wheel of Time awhile back....  I love the idea of fantasy books but I have a hard time following all the names and worlds.  I've discovered I like fantasy in the "young adult" category better because they are easier to follow. :-)
  • @bows22 I normally love Liane Moriarty but did not love Nine Perfect Strangers. It was just kinda...too weird, I think. Loved Evelyn Hugo though! 
    I LOVED Nine Perfect Strangers but everyone else in my book club hated it... they thought it was weird too.  I thought it was hilarious.  But I'm usually the odd one out in my book club, ah well :smile:
  • edited September 2019

@bluetickgal Mistborn was wonderful! I really enjoyed it. But the storm light archive trumps all. It’s so dang good. It’s way longer but I LOVED IT. It’s definitely on my #1s. The series still has 2 books coming out for this era too, so that’s very exciting. 

@mvt2003 I have not, but I’m open to suggestions anytime! So glad to have some fellow fantasy lovers here. 

@namelessaria mistborn was pretty dark. The series only gets better if you decide to finish it. You should check out the storm light archive, it’s not dark in the same way mistborn is. Imo I will have to check out the wheel of time! Apparently Brandon Sanderson finished the series after the original author died, with his notes. So that already Interests me! 

Also for anyone looking for recommendations, The magicians by Lev Grossman is one of my favorites. It’s so good! Or the throne of glass series by Sarah j Maas for those who might be looking for something lighter but also great!

• I usually have 2 books going, one real book and one audiobook (for the car and long walks).  I just finished Educated by Tara West over on audiobook and LOVED it.  She is a great writer and her story is pretty remarkable for what she had to overcome. For my real book, I'm reading Life of Pi, about the boy trapped on the lifeboat with the tiger.  I need to finish it before I can watch the movie.
  • @dancingtreepose loved educated. It reminded me of the glass castle, another fave! 
  • OK I'm back with more recently read books to recommend...

Where the Crawdads Sing - triggery for abuse survivors, but a very very good book.

YA fantasy/sci fi fans - the Scythe series by Neal Shusterman is amazing - fair warning that the third book isn't out yet, and I'm dyyyying. His book "Dry" was also really good. Basically all of his books are amazing - Unwind series is also amazing.

Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover is amazing - also triggery for abuse survivors

Alias Grace - also a mini series I think on Netflix or Amazon Prime? Both book and series are really really good

Sugar - by Deirdre Diordan Hall - was a bargain buy but turned out to be really amazing. Triggery for eating disorders on both ends of the spectrum though.

~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• @photographerwife I’m excited to read the Stormlight books...even though the size of them is quite daunting! DH mentioned that Sanderson’s progression as an author is super evident...he said his first book (which is a stand-alone that I need to read as well) is good, but he gets better & better with his other series! DH told me that about Sanderson taking over WoT when the author died, and he said he did it so well that you really can’t tell! I’d say that takes major talent! Thanks, I’ll check out those other two you mentioned too!