May 2020 Moms

Spotting/Bleeding Support Thread (TW)

Re: Spotting/Bleeding Support Thread (TW)

• @C25 @yogadevil I'm so sorry, you guys. This just plain sucks. Sending lots of internet hugs
  • lizm1234lizm1234 member
    edited September 2019
    @lizm1234 Please don't go to the ER for bleeding.  They're not equipped to diagnose whether or not it's a MC, and often times will add more anxiety rather than give you answers.  I would call your OB on call line and tell them and ask them what to do.  Spotting doesn't mean a loss by default.  When I had some spotting in my first pregnancy, they just had me keep an eye on it and update them if it became red and heavy.  Thankfully it never did.  There's a lot going on in a pregnancy that can cause spotting.  Hang in there!  I'll hope for the best for you!
    Thank you so much.  I really appreciate your advice and support.  I technically don't have a DR yet.  I was told that I would be given an appointment after the lab work is done today.  I will definitely mention this at my appointment today.  TMI... the discharge has gotten much lighter in color and there's barely anything to speak of.  I'll keep you updated.  

• Loading the player...

• m6agua said:
    @lizm1234 I agree with @shamrocandroll that the ER is not really helpful for spotting in pregnancy. Spotting can be very normal, if you really are concerned call the OB and they can order labs or an ultrasound if they think it is needed. I'm glad you have an appointment tomorrow, make sure to mention it. FWIW I had spotting with both pregnancies, with DD it was how you described around 5 weeks and everything was fine. With my first pregnancy it was much later on (10weeks) and it was the start of my mc, but I was able to get in for an ultrasound with the OB 2 days after the spotting started to confirm what was going on.

@c25 I'm sorry, I hope you are able to get in soon and there is some explanation for the bleeding.
    Thank you for this.  I'm going to get an official doctor today.  And they are doing lab work today.  Hopefully they can let me know what is going on.  
  • @C25 @bbluemoo @yogadevil Hugs!  I'm wishing the best for you ladies.  
  • @C25 and @yogadevil I am so sorry. Thinking of you both!

@bbluemoo hope you get answers soon!
  • @C25 @bbluemoo @yogadevil I am so sorry to all of you.  I second joining in on the TTCAL thread on the TTGP board.  Those ladies were a rock for me after my two losses.  Be kind to yourselves and know that all of your feelings are valid right now.  Big hugs.  <3
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @yogadevil when I was waiting to miscarry (which is a miserable and terrifying and stressful wait), my doctor put a cap on it and said call/come in if you do not start bleeding by X day.  It can take awhile.  I think my bleeding started close to 2.5 weeks from the time I found it was a non-viable pregnancy.  Do not take this as a norm.  It all depends how far along you are and what your hormone levels are etc.  It was just over one week from the time I stopped taking progesterone and knew for sure I was going to miscarry.  Once I knew it was going to end I wanted it to be over with so I could move on.  I would speak to your doctor again and see how long they want you to wait.  There are various options to speed things along if needed.  Hang in there.  Stay strong.  I know nothing makes it better now.  I am here to answer questions if you want.
  • gomillisgomillis member
    edited September 2019
    Sending strength and sympathy to those of you going through this. 

Today I started spotting as well. I was really ill for the past two days with a stomach virus, and the nurse at my OB’s office thinks that may be causing the spotting. However, after a MC last fall, I’m panicking that I’m having another loss. I’m supposed to call again if it gets any worse. So far it’s just brown discharge. 

Has anyone heard of a stomach virus causing spotting?
  • @gomillis I'm not a doctor, but in my last 2 pregnancies I would sometimes spot after sex, and I *think* I have from vomiting as well, but I don't exactly recall. My OB said there is so much more blood while your pregnant, and things that can irritate your cervix can cause it to bleed. If you were actively vomiting/or having frequent BM I wouldn't be surprised if it could just be your cervix getting irritated? I hope it stops for you soon!
  • mamaqdubu said:
    @gomillis I'm not a doctor, but in my last 2 pregnancies I would sometimes spot after sex, and I *think* I have from vomiting as well, but I don't exactly recall. My OB said there is so much more blood while your pregnant, and things that can irritate your cervix can cause it to bleed. If you were actively vomiting/or having frequent BM I wouldn't be surprised if it could just be your cervix getting irritated? I hope it stops for you soon!
    Interesting that you mentioned this.  My spotting was actually after a tough BM (sorry for TMI). 

• lizm1234lizm1234 member
    edited September 2019
    Update (barely) ...Well, the nurse was not helpful.  Any questions will have to be wait until I see the dr.  She told me if I have any bleeding to go to the ER.  
  • Just started having some spotting. Had a MC around this time prior to DD and so this is definitely freaking me out. Not sure if it’s worth calling the after hours line or just waiting until tomorrow to talk to the triage nurse. I won’t go to the ER unless it’s really heavy, I guess. 
  • @adventuresawait1 It’s up to you, if it were me, I would wait to call my doctors office in the morning if it’s just spotting.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @m6agua yeah, appreciate the thought here and think that’s right. I’m hoping that it just stays at spotting and that perhaps they will see me tomorrow at the office. It’s a new doctor and I’m not sure what their 
    policy is. My old doctor just said go to the ER if it’s bad and when I did, it was inconclusive and they basically said, it’s not an ectopic and if you’re going to have a miscarriage, you will (and I subsequently did). But I know some providers will see you and do an office US under these circumstances. 
  • m6aguam6agua member
    edited September 2019
    @adventuresawait1 yeah with my first I had spotting start on a Sunday, they got me in for an ultrasound on Tuesday with a partner. I miscarried a week later at home. There was a ton of blood during the miscarriage, but I didn’t go to the ER since it was expected based on the ultrasound.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua yeah, makes sense. Well, fingers crossed for the best case scenario here. We’ll see. 
  • @adventuresawait1 I know it’s hard but since it is just spotting, try to be positive. Hugs. Once you have had a loss, I think it’s so hard to let go of the anxiety. I hope your doctor can give you some peace of mind tomorrow and that everything calms down tonight. 
  • @mdfarmchick Thanks, appreciate it! Nurse said it could be normal and that it would be too early to see anything on ultrasound, and that they wouldn’t be able to squeeze me in before my short work trip tomorrow to Thursday. Said to call back on Thursday and go to ER if heavy bleeding. So, guess I will wait and hope and see!
  • @adventuresawait1 I hope it is just normal spotting! Do you have your first appointment set up yet?
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua thank you! Appreciate all the positive thoughts. First appt is sept 30th, which is also the day we are supposed to close on our house. So, a pretty big day!
  • @adventuresawait1 @lizm1234 in my first pregnancy, I had slight bleeding that turned out to be implantation bleeding, then some spotting (light pink) around weeks 6-7 for which I got an ultrasound. Turned out to be a harmless subchorionic haematoma that resolved itself, and I went on to have a healthy pregnancy and baby. I'm sending positive vibes your way, and hope you get good, calming answers soon. 
  • edited September 2019
    @gh515 good to hear! I haven’t had much since yesterday, so just trying to stay positive (especially since I’m traveling for work the next two days...!)

edited for typo
  • I woke up this morning with cramping and period-like bleeding that hasn't let up or stopped. I called and they are having me go in to be seen in about an hour, but I'm not hopeful. Good luck ladies. 
  • @modoodles thinking of you *hugs*
  • @modoodles Thinking of you... I hope they can figure out what is going on.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @modoodles thinking of you! Glad they are having you come in so you can find out what’s going on. 
  • @modoodles I'm sorry to hear that. Thinking of you <3
  • I'm sorry @modoodles - thinking of you. 
  • @modoodles I am sorry and thinking of you. <3
  • Thanks for the support. My doctor said he believes  I am going through  an early miscarriage and did bloodwork and has me going back for more on Thursday to confirm the loss. We are pretty devastated, but will be trying  again soon.
  • @modoodles I am so very sorry for your loss. Big creepy internet hugs. When you are ready I found the PGAL ladies on TTGP to be so very supportive after my loss. 
  • @modoodles I’m so sorry 😔
  • @modoodles hugs, I’m so sorry. 
  • @modoodles that’s so tough. I’m so sorry to hear it. 
  • I’m so sorry @modoodles
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @modoodles so heartbreaking, I'm so sorry
  • @modoodles hugs.  I'm so sorry.
  • gh515   good luck.  I hope everything goes well  :)