April 2020 Moms

Vaccinations and medications

I thought we could start a separate discussion on vaccinations and various medications through out pregnancy. Everyone is welcome to share their thoughts and experiences. 

Re: Vaccinations and medications

• is everyone getting the flu shot?
  • @sanpelligrino I get the flu shot every year, but I’ve never had to get it while pregnant before. With DS, I got it a few months before I got pregnant and about a month after he was born. I’m planning to get it when my office does the free shot clinic. Was on the list to verify with my OB that it’s okay. 

I’m also wondering if I will need to get the TDAP again. I got it with DS two years ago, but they may want you to get it every time. Can’t recall if the antibodies pass to the baby. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Loading the player...
  • sanpelligrinosanpelligrino member
    edited September 2019
    I'm definitely one to vaccinate, but only when necessary. I have never gotten the flu vaccine though, I personally don't think I need it, i rely on naturally protecting and raising my immunity by taking extra vitamins and minerals during flu season. I've personally also seen my sister in law and a couple of friends fall really sick the season they took their flu shot. Not saying the flu shot gave it to them, but it certainly did not protect them either. In fact my sister in law fell sick thrice that season, not sure what happened there?! 

I took a TDAP booster 4 years ago, so i'm wondering if I could skip it now, will check with the OB. Honestly, I don't feel great vaccinating while pregnant. @mercury94 if you only took it 2 years ago, I would think you would be immunized and wouldn't need it. You probably have the antibodies in your system. I think the flu shot is the only one they recommend every year because there are new strains every year. It still protects you only against 60% of the strains. 
  • No on the flu shot. Yes on the Dtap. I agree with @sanpelligrino only vaccinate when necessary. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm a pretty fierce vaccine supporter, so I intend to get all the recommended vaccines. I got the Tdap last time I was pregnant, and I think I remember it was good for 10 years, but I'll definitely ask. I also plan to get the version of the flu shot recommended for pregnant women (another thing I'm asking about this week). The data is pretty clear that it saves lives, and even 60% effectiveness (or 40% or 30%) is a lot better than 0.

I also recommend asking your OB and/or pediatrician what vaccines they recommend for your partner and anyone else who will be spending time with your baby.
  • babyrummombabyrummom member
    edited September 2019
    I will be getting the flu shot. I get it every year at work, because it is required. I thought TDap was good for 10 years, as well, and I’ve had mine maybe 5 years ago. I just read something about them giving it to you during pregnancy in the third trimester to pass the antibodies to the baby to make them immune to the whooping cough when they are first born. Do they give another booster to pregnant women to give the baby the immunity or does it get passed on if you are already up to date? Anyone know about this?
  • mflowers929mflowers929 member
    edited September 2019
    There's a new recommendation as of last year that a woman gets the TDAP every pregnancy after 32 weeks, just so you all know. It was so new that my doctors office hadn't heard of it until I called in a panic at 36 weeks to get it.
    Will be asking my family doctor next week about coming in for the flu shot.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @mflowers good to know. That must have been what I was reading about! 
    edited September 2019
    @mflowers929 I will def be asking my OB about that then. 

DH started getting the flu shot as of last year, and he and i got our Tdaps together 5 years ago. 
  • @mflowers929 Good to know! It’s amazing how much can change in a short time between pregnancies. 😀
  • I'm strongly pro-vaccine. Just got my flu shot bc I was at my primary and she had them available. I will get the TDAP too.
  • I got all the necessary vaccines my last pregnancy and plan to again. I will likely wait until the 2nd tri for the flu shot. 
  • I get the flu shot for work. Last year I was pregnant and DH and I both got it. We’ll get it again this year, and get it for DS as well 
  • STRONGLY Pro-vaccine here. We’ve already gotten our flu shots and will get any other recommended to me by my doctor. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• I plan on getting a flu shot soon. Ever since having a child, the whole family gets flu shots now.
    I do plan on getting an updated TDAP this pregnancy, too. Make sure anyone who is going to handle the child(DH, grandparents,etc) has an up to date  TDAP as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just left my appointment and our office is recommending pregnant women wait a little bit for their flu shots, so I'm supposed to get mine in the middle of October.
  • @aresee did they say why they reccomend waiting?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 You know, she didn't. It sounded like they thought it was more effective if they waited until the second trimester, but I'm not sure. I didn't ask a lot of questions, because it'll still be before the end of October, which I know is when they recommend getting it by. I was also having a lot of blood drawn, so I was happy to wait for a second needle stick. :)
  • My doctor doesn't give flu shots out until Oct.  DD2 was born Oct 1 and it was weird timing so I got mine in the hospital when she was born.  I also got the TDAP during both pregnancies.  
  • I'm allergic to the pertussis vaccine, so I was really gung-ho about everyone else getting  Tdap. Of course my MIL, who is a nurse, believes vaccines are bad for her, so it was a huge fight. She doesn't quite understand how herd immunity works. Or I guess she just believes she's special. 
  • @sanpelligrino @mercury94 tdap is recommended for all pregnant women at 27 weeks regardless of when you last had it to pass the immunity on to the baby because they are unable to get that vaccine right away 
  • Last pregnancy when I was due in September my doctor had me get the flu shot so that the antibodies would be passed to baby since they wouldn’t give the flu shot to baby until she was 6 months. I had my TDAP then as well. 

Had my intake apt at my OB this week and they said that they give the TDAP every pregnancy to pass the it to the baby. Everyone that will be around baby should have had it within the last 10 years. 
  • I will be getting the flu shot and TDAP as recommended! :) 
  • While I am generally pro-vaccination, I do not get a flu shot any more. The fact that it's only 40-60% effective if they happen to make the right vaccination that matches the virus that's going around that year. There have been  years where the vaccine didn't cover the dominant strain making it basically ineffective. The common side effects of the flu vaccine - sore arm, headache, fever, nausea? The few times i got the flu shot I got all those, and one year I got full blown flu. No thanks. 

That being said - I don't mind taking a risk and accepting the consequences for myself, but baby gets whatever doctor says is best so we'll be getting all the vaccines recommended. 

With the TDAP - DH and I have large families - how did you manage to request or ensure that everyone around baby had TDAP? When my niece was born recently my sister had everyone over to meet her less than a week out of the hospital and vaccinations were not discussed. 
  • @danibean19 I made sure that everyone who was going to be around my son a lot had the shot (DH, bestie, grandparents). Everyone else who would just be seeing him for a short period of time I got to wash their hands really well and they couldn't visit if they were at all sick.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @danibean19 I asked them to get the tdap, show proof or they couldn’t see baby. I offered to pay for it but it wasn’t negotiable for me. I asked much more eloquently but that was the gist. Everyone was fine with it too. My first two were born early/late fall so I was even more worried about cold season with their immature immune systems. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

edited September 2019
    @danibean19 that's exactly how i feel about the flu shot. I will be getting all the other recommended vaccines. 

Ladies, is the TDAP vaccine given in the 2nd or 3rd tri? I will be talking to my OB about it at the next appointment. I know DH and i got the Tdap 4 ish years ago, and so did our siblings. I'm not sure whether my parents and in laws are immunized, need to check with them. They will be helping us with the baby the first couple of months, so i def want to ensure they've had their shots. I'm pretty sure some of our friends haven't been immunized in the last decade (the ones who don't have kids). 
  • @sanpelligrino I think it was 3rd tri last time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • babyrummombabyrummom member
    edited September 2019
    Just got my flu shot today! I work at a hospital so it’s a requirement