May 2020 Moms

Vegan/Vegetarian/Pescatarian Mamas

I was inspired by a thread on the April 2020 BMB, so I figured I'd start one here where we can share our stories, recipes, etc for maintaining our vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian lifestyles while we're pregnant. :)

I'm curious why you became vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian? Is your SO/DH also vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian?

Does everyone else plan on feeding their baby vegetarian? 
Me: 37 / DH: 41
Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

Re: Vegan/Vegetarian/Pescatarian Mamas

• I'm curious why you became vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian?
    I have been a pescatarian for almost three years now. I had gone vegetarian for a year in high school, and then again for about two years from 2006-2008. Both times I gave it up for an In-N-Out burger, lol. I follow a lot of "I Love Dogs" and "Dogs Are Family" pages on FB, and saw a video one of those pages had linked that showed a pig escaping a truck that was bound for the slaughterhouse, with a caption that said, "Not today!" So, I clicked on the page (it was Mercy For Animals) and saw so many horrific videos that made me put down the fork & knife and I haven't had beef/pork/poultry every since. I indulge in seafood every now and then (mostly shellfish or salmon), but think I'll most likely wind up going completely vegetarian during this pregnancy. I dunno, we'll see.

Is your SO/DH also vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian?
    Nope. The man loves his meat. He indulges my not eating food with feet and will eat meat substitutes that I cook, but every now and then he just craves a good steak or hamburger or bacon. 

We're undecided. We discussed it briefly a few days ago, but I think the general consensus is that we'll stick to fruits/veggies/rice and let the little one decide once they're old enough to make a choice.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• I went vegetarian halfway through my last pregnancy, so about a year and a half now. I’ve hinted that I’d like our kids to be vegetarian but I’m so bad at being organized about cooking that it gets hard to control everything they eat. Everyone definitely eats a lot less meat than we used to though!

My big challenge now is that I may have celiacs disease and have to stay gluten free until I figure it out for sure... which will be a while, now that I’m pregnant (it involves an endoscopy/anesthesia). I had originally tried to eat vegan but I gave that up once my diet became so much more restricted. 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited September 2019
    *TW* Confirmed Loss
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm curious why you became vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian? - I slowly transitioned because I wanted to be successful for the animals. Started pescatarian, then vegetarian, then vegan. Started about 6 years ago, and have been vegan for 3 years now. Never looked back.

Is your SO/DH also vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian? - My husband is vegan at home and vegetarian when we are out.

Does everyone else plan on feeding their baby vegetarian? - My 3 year old son is vegan since birth, and this baby will be as well.

I look forward to sharing with you!!
  • I'm curious why you became vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian?
    I have been a vegetarian since 2011. I became a vegetarian after I adopted my dog, and just really started to love animals more at that point, I couldn't stand the idea that they were being killed to feed me. Then after I became one, I found out all the health benefits, and environmental benefits. 

Is your SO/DH also vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian?
    He is a meat eater, but he is the cook in the family, and since myself and my 2 sons are vegetarians, he ends up making and eating a lot of vegetarian meals.

So far we have raised my 4 year old and our 2 year old as vegetarians. My mom is the big problem, although she honors it, she constantly asks when I'm going to let him have chicken nuggets. Once he got to an age where he could understand where food came from, I gently explained where meat came from, and he said he wanted to keep being a vegetarian. If he changes his mind one day, I have no problem with him eating meat.