February 2020 Moms

Birthing Classes

It's time to think about birthing classes especially if you are doing one that takes 12 weeks, like Bradley.

STMs:
- Did you take a birthing class for your previous births? What did you take? Would you recommend it?

FTMs:
- Have you looked into any birthing classes? What are you leaning towards? Do you have any questions about them?
Me: 38, DH: 36 
Married Jan 2008 
DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

Re: Birthing Classes

• So with DD we did the Bradley classes and they were great. Very informative, but it is a weekly class for 12 weeks so it is a time commitment. The values advanced by the program match my own in that they promote natural childbirth with minimal interventions. 

Unfortunately, I did not get to put any of the Bradley birthing information into practice, since I never went into labor as my daughter was breech and we had a scheduled cesarean. My Bradley teacher recommended that we wait and see if she flipped but I was a nervous FTM and went with the OB's recommendation. I now wish I had listened to her, but that is a whole different thing.

I am hoping to have a normal delivery this time around but am not prepared to take a whole second Bradley class. Especially since I would have to find a sitter for my daughter once a week for 3 months. I still have the workbook and will go over the information. This time I am thinking about doing a self-study hypnobirthing class. I did not believe in meditation with my first but I have more faith in it now and hope to use it for pain control, along with the birthing tub and maybe NO2.
    Married Jan 2008 

• We took the classes offered through our hospital. It was once a week for like 5 or 6 weeks (already can’t remember!). I enjoyed them for the most part - especially learning about pain management and hearing about different birth stories. I did not get much out of the breathing exercises because when it came to actual labor, I was doing whatever worked for me in that moment. And doing the breathing exercises in class made me lightheaded  :D I think for a FTM it’s worth doing, especially if you have a lot of anxiety about what’s going to happen/possibly happen.  We also got a hospital tour which was nice. DH Came to like 2 of the classes with me. I wanted him to know about the pain management mostly in case I was too miserable to make a decision for myself. It was a good way for him to understand what I wanted and what I’d be going through. 

I won’t be going back to do them again because 1. I went through all of it already and 2. Planned RCS.  
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Loading the player...
  • jvk2012jvk2012 member
    edited September 2019
    We did a weekend class that covered the basics and had a hospital tour. I felt more confident going into labor because of it. But really, my labor nurse is what helped me the most!

I want to do a 1 day refresher because with DD I was induced so I was in the hospital and monitored. I want a refresher on “when to go to the hospital” and laboring at home tips since I never used them last time. 

ETA: I got an epidural last time and plan to again so it’s just managing until I can get one. 
  • We did the Bradley class with my first. It was very helpful for me and my husband, since it is essentially a partner-coaching method. The philosophy behind it is minimal intervention to prepare for a med free labor. I have used the techniques to go med free with all of my births, and I always pull the workbook out to refresh my memory before every labor. I hope to do the same with this baby. 
  • I felt the same as @daffodil_shoe. We did the hospital class and it was nothing we didn’t already know. Maybe if you’re a FTM and have never really been around a baby it might seem helpful to you. The only part that I liked was the hospital tour. This time we are going to a different hospital so we will set up another tour but that’s all. If I wasn’t planning on getting an epidural I would most certainly take classes to help me learn about other pain management. 
  • With my first we took a condensed birthing class(fit all the 6 week stuff into three days) since my husband couldn't make it to the weekly ones. And I went solo to a Bradley method/Hypnobirthing class. I loved getting info from different sources and was able to use multiple techniques during labor. But ultimately if nothing else at least do the hospital sponsored so you can also get a tour and break down of how the hospital operates.
  • I took the hospital birth class but I also had a doula. My ‘plan’ was to be open to any and everything. I was gonna try to labor at home while I could, go to the hospital when I got to the 5-1-1 and get an epidural if I wanted (ended up not having one). The class was helpful as a FTM but I won’t do one again since BTDT. 
  • With my first I did an online class provided by the hospital. It was lame, and nothing that I didn't really already know for the most part. This time around, I won't be doing anything. 
  • @craftywitch I do wonder if I had made DH go to the BF class if I would have been more successful. Oh well. Water under the bridge and not going back there this go round.  :#
  • TennisLove30TennisLove30 member
    edited September 2019
    We took the class offered by the hospital. It was 6 weeks. Honestly, it was okay. I knew most everything they talked about. 🤷‍♀️ We won’t be doing any classes this time. I’m having a planned csection because my doctor said a baby isn’t getting through my weirdly shaped cervix. I had an unplanned csection the first time around.
  • @ibabyloveb87 it took me three different lactation consultants to get breastfeeding- the one that worked was 90 mins away! It’s harder than just sticking a baby on your breast isn’t it?? Anyway if you try this time I’d suggest going that route? Also la leche league is awesome. We struggled for weeks but for us it was worth it.
    Married Jan 2008 

• I am a FTM and am signed up for the Bradley Class. A friend took it and found it very helpful. It starts towards the end of the month. I like the idea of DH taking a lactation class with me. 
  • @leksiL definitely not easy! We have 2 lactation consultants at our pediatrician who are great and I had a great BF resource from my first BMB, but mostly it was awful for my anxiety feeling like I couldn’t ever be away from DS. We BF for 2 months and supplemented with formula for about half of that time, but it just wasn’t worth it to me. Being in good mental health makes me a better mom, so I’m team formula this go round in hopes that I won’t be so miserable for the first couple of months. 
  • I didn’t do a birthing class since my plan was epidural lol it worked out great with my first and things went too quickly with my second for an epidural. I had awesome labor and delivery nurses with both kids and found them extremely helpful.  
    I did take a breastfeeding class and it was very informative. I found the logistics of that to be the most stressful as a ftm. The thought of labor was terrifying but what to do once the kid is actually here was way more helpful. 
  • @ibabyloveb87 anxiety isn't good! You need to safeguard your mental health :)
    Married Jan 2008 

• This will be my third birth, hopefully second vaginal delivery. I didn’t take any classes, but I did read a lot of different birthing books... and all of that information went out the window when I was actually in labor. To prepare this time, I’ll probably just ask my OB when I should go to the hospital to prevent giving birth in the car... which almost happened last time. I’m a mess.

• I did some classes through the hospital with my oldest. Breastfeeding (kinda worth it), infant CPR (worth it), and some general class on infants (waste of time). I never did any the 2nd time and probably wouldn’t this time. They’re good for peace of mind. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @doodleoodle my third delivery was also a close call in the car! I made it there with about 20 min to spare. My mom was born in the car, so I know first hand that these things happen 😬 I am also hoping to avoid a car delivery this time around! 
  • We took Bradley with our first and I ended up having an unmedicated water birth, so it was worth it! :)  Even more than the class itself was the fact that it prompted us to have weekly discussions about the birth. I almost liked our conversations on the drive home more than the class itself, so appreciated taking a class that was longer, even though it wasn't cheap. And I def think it was helpful for DH.
  • @doodleoodle @therealbitts this will be my third and I’m terrified of not making it to the hospital in time! Both of my kids came fairly quickly especially my second. 
  • @doodleoodle @therealbitts @clee5711 I hadn't even thought about the potential for a car birth! I was induced for my first due to gestational diabetes, so I just figured I'll be induced for #2. But I didn't even think about the likelihood that #2 could arrive even before the induction date. I guess I'll be reading up on when to go to the hospital. 

I took a birthing class at the hospital during my first pregnancy, which was super helpful. I think it was good for my husband to also learn the techniques for managing pain, etc. But the most valuable bit was just learning about different scenarios I could encounter so that we wouldn't be caught off guard. I didn't do any of the parenting/infant classes, but I don't think I missed out. 
  • Mu husband and I took a breastfeeding class and I would 100% recommend it to everyone. 
  • @shellac835 - that was something I loved about Bradley too even tho we I had a cesarean- it really got my husband involved in the pregnancy.
    Married Jan 2008