Appointments | September

<3 
TTC#1 July 2015 
  • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
  • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
TTC#2 April 2019 
  • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

Re: Appointments | September

• I just met with my PCP yesterday to have her take over managing my thyroid medication. I have been seeing a Functional Medicine practitioner, but want to discontinue seeing them. She suggested since I am pregnant to see an Endocrinologist, but I cannot get in until November 22! :o  I am on a high priority cancellation list now. In the mean time we are reducing my doses and going to attempt to wean off of it.

My office does first appointments at 10 weeks. But I guess they do pregnancy confirmation appointments around 6-7 weeks if there are concerns. I had GD last time and I am on thyroid medication now as well. So I have my first appointment with the PA on Sept 24 to talk about managing my thyroid levels during the first tri and early glucose or A1C tests.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @m6agua Perhaps while you await your Endocrinologist appointment you can ask to speak with a nurse at that office and see if there is any blood work you have done prior to the appointment that might help them determine treatment/management.  It's just a thought.  Maybe they can send lab orders in advance and you can still be moving forward.
  • Loading the player...
  • @m6agua and @shamrocandroll good luck with those appointments! Praying for a good strong heartbeat 💗 

I have to wait till October 7......boooooo. That’s probably the latest appointment I’ve ever had. 
  • @shanana_3, October 7th, me too!
  • edited September 2019
    My first appt is Sept 30th. Last time around I got in at 4 or 5 weeks to confirm, this seems so late! (Edited since I got the date wrong..)
  • satori1001satori1001 member
    edited September 2019
    @shamrocandroll I am going for my 2nd ultrasound Thursday. I am about 6.5 weeks also!!! Super excited!!! Hope everything goes well for you!

Had an ultrasound 2 weeks ago and we saw the gestational sac. We may get to see the heartbeat thurs! 

• @m6agua Good luck at the endo!  Glad they got you in quickly!

@shanana_3 Thank you!

@satori1001 Good luck at your appointment on Thursday as well!  I'm so anxious about it!
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Yes, me too!! So many what if lol. 
  • I’m so jealous! I went to my appointment on Sunday and was told due to my history I won’t need extra appointments until the end. No ultrasound and my next appointment is Oct 14. My RBF made a huge appearance lol.
  • @shamrocandroll I totally agree with all of that.  I've already had one appointment with ultrasound and blood work, another trip to the lab for blood work, and another appointment for another ultrasound is in a few days, and already on prescription progesterone, and each appointment is a source of anxiety and then more anxiety waiting for hopefully "normal" results.  My last blood draw was on a Friday so I didn't speak with my regular nurse about results until Tuesday!  It made for an anxiety filled weekend.  I'm not even 6 weeks along.  It's a bit much.  The good news is, I finally have a doctor I like and trust and I actually feel better every time I see him.  I also have a specific nurse assigned to me that calls and/or emails on a regular basis.  I would be lost without them.

My advice to everyone is to find a doctor/team you like and trust and that communicates well.  At least in the US we pay a ton of money for healthcare and it is their job to help you.  You are paying for their services.  Make sure all of your questions are heard and answered adequately (and in a timely manner).
  • @linsbins I echo others. I know it can be hard, but it really is a good thing not to have all the extra appointments. I have an appointment at 7 weeks, but I am pretty sure I will not be getting an ultrasound until 20 weeks.

AFM, I had my appointment with the Endocrinologist. I've been on thyroid meds for a year and a half through a Functional Medicine Practice and now am switching back over to conventional medicine. Sounds like after getting my labs tomorrow morning, he will want to switch my meds and if everything checks out fine, I could possibly go off of them at some point. I will be getting labs drawn every 4-6 weeks and meet with him once a trimester in addition to all of my regular OB visits. I really fell like my body is in a place to potentially go off the meds, so we will see how it goes.

My next appointment is September 24 and is a pregnancy consultation with the PA. I will be 6.5 weeks and I think we will mainly discuss when I will be getting the glucose/A1C testing and how often and will probably discuss my thyroid labs too.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @pirateduck Solidarity!  I've had 3 blood draws, and an ultrasound tomorrow.  Waiting for results each time is the worst!  But I agree about having a team you trust.  My OB is out of the office tomorrow, but is calling me from home to discuss the results of my scan.  Talk about waiting anxiously by the phone!  

@m6agua I'm so glad they got you in!  And that's awesome that they think you may be able to come off your meds altogether!  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll I can't wait for your update tomorrow. Good luck!!

@m6agua That's fantastic that you may be able to go off meds at some point!!
  • @Linsbins Trust me, having early appointments is not something to be jealous of.  Most of us who have them are high risk or have a history of loss.  We're mixed with feelings of hope and sheer terror for those early appointments. I know where you are coming from, because I didn't get my first appointment until 12 weeks with my first pregnancy and the waiting is brutal, but I'd take that and a low risk pregnancy any day over lots of early bloodwork and ultrasounds.  
    I know. I apologize because that was insensitive. I am in the high risk group though. My daughter had IUGR and statistically should not have made it when she came out at week 39. I was told I would need weekly appointments this go round but apparently that’s not until after week 20. 
  • @Linsbins if your physician is not giving you the level of care you want/need perhaps you need to find someone new.
  • @m6agua my first appointment is 24 September as well!
  • @Linsbins if your physician is not giving you the level of care you want/need perhaps you need to find someone new.
    I did. My last OB did not know she had IUGR until she came out. Alarms were pulled, doctors rushed in, and it was horrible. This appointment will be with the new one. IUGR doesn’t present until after 20 weeks in most cases, so this makes sense. Dh and I were just frustrated because this isn’t what we were told in the hospital but it does make sense. It has to do with the placenta and there not even one formed yet so I can’t really complain too much. 
  • @Linsbins I hope you love your new doctor then once you know him/her better.  I switched doctors and one point and feel soooo much better about everything.
  • @Linsbins I hope you love your new doctor then once you know him/her better.  I switched doctors and one point and feel soooo much better about everything.
    I think I will. My last doc was like, you’re sick? That’s pregnancy. You’re itchy? That’s pregnancy. You’re too small? That’s pregnancy. I scratched through my skin a few times and missed 25 days of work from morning sickness. And I didn’t take calling out lightly, I teach K and have a back room where I hid a trash can to throw up in between speaking to my kids. After talking to other friends I realized that’s not normal. This lady seems nice but if I don’t like her I have no issues switching again. I’m glad to hear you did it and it went well. I switched to an office that’s slightly further away but no other doctors at the closer ones were taking patients. 
  • @Linsbins why do some doctors have to treat people so horribly??  :|
  • @Linsbins Ugh, I am sorry your last pregnancy was such a bad experience.  It sounds like you were blatantly ignored, and I am glad you have someone new this time around.  I hope you have a much better experience this time!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll Good luck at your ultrasound today!
  • @shamrocandroll FX for a great u/s!
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @shamrocandroll good luck today!

My u/s with the RE is 9/23 I'll be 6+4 then I'll be moving on to my OB. With my 1st and 2nd pregnancies, my 1st OB appt was 7-8 weeks. I'm trying to decide if I should make an appointment now for that timeframe or if I should wait until after my u/s with the RE. Any ideas?
  • @splashmountain hmmm I guess it doesn't hurt to call the OB's office and ask what they think? That way if they think they need to get you on the schedule now you won't have to wait longer for an appointment. 
  • @splashmountain I would call now so you have your choice of appointment times. Somehow the OB is always hardest to get a good time. 

@shamrocandroll good luck and keep us updated! 
  • @splashmountain I would call just to have the appointment because with my OB the earlier you call, the easier it is to get an appointment time. 
  • @splashmountain I agree with others, call now to get an appointment that works well for you. For DD I scheduled all of my appointments for the entire pregnancy after my second visit so I could get the times I wanted. It was nbd to change things if stuff came up.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @shamrocandroll I hope your appointment goes well today! Can’t wait for an update. <3
  • Good luck @shamrocandroll!!
    @splashmountain I would probably schedule something now. I'll have two US's with my RE, so I plan to schedule an appt with my OB after the first.
  • @shamrocandroll Yay for awesome co-workers! This day is going to drag on while I wait for your update. You'll let us know from the exam room, right? 😉
  • @ruby696 Haha, if it's good news, I'll let you guys know right away.  If I ghost and no one hears from me for a long time, well..... let's just all imagine the former rather than the latter!  <3 
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll um that is crazy! What a day and it’s not even over yet! I’m glad your coworker could help you all out. Fingers crossed everything is good at your appointment and that DS doesn’t have anything contagious. 
  • @rachelg777 @Linsbins @mdfarmchick @ruby696 thanks guys, I was thinking the same thing! I'll call them today
  • So I didn’t want to post an update in the possible MC thread because I didn’t want to cause those ladies anymore pain. I think my pregnancy is fine—the weak tests were likely a result of diluted urine. I had an appointment today (was a scheduled annual), I didn’t ask for betas or anything because there’s nothing to be done either way.

So all that to say I have an intake spot scheduled for mid October and a dating/viability U/S on Oct 10. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022