April 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight- Baby Carriers

Kathryn0903Kathryn0903 member
edited September 2019 in April 2020 Moms

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Baby Carriers!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For STMs....
What carrier did you use last time? What did you like or not like about it?
Are you considering a different one this time?
For FTMs....
Any carriers you're interested in?

To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j7iBv8rbDsTBMXAK7R3NWhG-619XNbpdNza2uci0iYs/edit#gid=0!
Next up: Strollers
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Product Spotlight- Baby Carriers

• For DS, I had the Infantino multi pocket carrier. I got it because I was cheap and didnt want to spend a ton on a carrier. It was ok, but after wearing it for awhile my back ached.
    I'm considering getting a lillebaby this baby. Love that it has lumbar support and those Disney designs are so nice. Also love that you don't need a newborn insert. Anyone have one and have any feedback on the original vs all seasons vs air flow?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We started out with a ring sling, but I was never totally comfortable with it. I know logically that he was tucked in there safe, but I always felt like he was going to slide out of the bottom.
    When he was 8 weeks we visited with family and my aunt gave me a wrap and we both loved it. He spent so much time snuggled up to me sleeping, he felt more secure for me, and I could still get stuff done when he was being clingy.
    Eventually I bought a secondhand Tula which we're still using. Whenever he wants to be close I put him up on my back and he usually falls asleep. I love the Tula for front and back wear because it's so easy to put on yourself, although it is annoying that you need an infant insert with the classic (what I have)
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Loading the player...
  • We used the Ergo baby carrier and the Infantino Mei Tai wrap. I found the Mei Tai wrap more comfortable, but the Ergo was definitely easier to put on by myself. 
  • I had an Ergo baby carrier as well. We also got the Ergo 360 when he got bigger and I love that one. I wasn’t a huge fan of the ring sling. It just wasn’t comfortable for me. Plus, DH was able to use the 360, so it definitely got the most wear. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • I used the K'Tan since I was afraid of getting something I had to wrap myself.  I still felt like I needed to practice and never really felt super comfortable getting LO in and out.  I also worried about her position in it all the time and if she was squashed.  The instructions said to order your prepregnancy size and I think maybe I should have gone a size up.  
  • With DD I used the Ergo 360 and the Moby  wrap. I loved both for different reasons. The wrap was ideal for the newborn phase and I liked the structure of the Ergo as she got older. I used the Ergo up until 18ish months.

I plan to use both carriers again and may get a Tula as well. I feel like I’ll be baby wearing a ton this time around.
  • I will say I hated the moby wrap! Anyone else try to wrap a million yards of fabric around you? Lol 

And I have heard a lot of mamas don’t like the ring sling- that it never felt right. But I love mine! My 1 year lived in that. 

I found that the infantino type carriers dug into my babies’ chunky thighs. 
  • I should add that FTMs should check if any baby stores near you let you try on different carriers. We have a store here that does and you can even rent them for a period of time to make sure it’s the right carrier for you before investing.
  • @ruby_love I think the carrier we had with DD1 was the infantino and it did the same thing to her legs
  • I used a boba wrap and a lillebaby carrier with DS. I liked the boba when he was in the newborn stage for doing things around the house, but I tried using it on a walk outside and it felt like he was going to fall out. I liked the lillebaby for walks, but it wasn't as comfy for around the house and I think it's going to get really hot since I'll be using it during the summer this time. I've been looking into the k'tan active as it seems to be the best of both worlds, but I'll probably wait until #2 arrives to decide for sure.

Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married: April 2014
    DS born 9/16
    TTC #2 since December 2018
    BFP 8/19 MMC 10/19
    BFP 5/20 MC 6/20
  • @mamasloth which lillebaby did you have - the original, all seasons, or air flow? I was worried about being hot, so I was leaning towards the all seasons or air flow.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i see a lot of folks used wraps for the newborn stage which makes sense, but are there carriers for the newborn stage that can transition to the infant stages as well? sorry if i sound stupid, FTM here.
  • @sanpelligrino some of the carriers can transition from newborn to infant to toddler even. Some do require you to purchase a newborn insert, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • thank you for explaining @Kathryn0903 . When did you ladies purchase your carriers and wraps as a FTM? did you try them on before buying? and it did it then feel the same when you carried your baby in it?
  • Look around to see if there's a baby wearing group in your area. Some of those groups have gatherings where you can learn about safe baby wearing and try different styles of carriers. The cloth diaper store near us also does this.
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited September 2019
    Our Target has all the carriers out so you can try them on too
  • mercury94mercury94 member
    edited September 2019
    @sanpelligrino SIL gave me her Ergo, so I had it before he was born. It included an infant insert until 12 pounds. I got the Ring Sling as a gift at my shower. I bought the Ergo 360 when he was about 8 months, because it was more breathable and I was worried he was getting too hot in the Ergo. 

Edit: typo

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @sanpelligrino I got my carrier at my baby shower, so somewhere around 33 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • FTM here! I have already decided that I will not be carrying baby, but DH is interested. I'm interested to hear about carriers that worked well for Dads.
  • @danibean19 One of the reasons we got the Ergo 360 was that it was recommended for dads. DH used it a few times and liked it. He wore it for a whole day at the zoo once. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @Kathryn0903 I'm pretty sure it's the original. I wish I had bought the air flow!

Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married: April 2014
    DS born 9/16
    TTC #2 since December 2018
    BFP 8/19 MMC 10/19
    BFP 5/20 MC 6/20
  • I loved the K'tan when he was little and the Ergo 360 when he got bigger. My husband was pretty comfortable with the Ergo too. I found I could easily nurse him in the Ergo and usually no one could tell!

I'll probably get the K'tan active for a warm weather baby.

I also eventually got a Kelty-style (can't remember the brand) hiking backpack and loved it for longer walks once he was big enough.
  • @sanpelligrino we have the newborn insert for the Ergo and DH used it with DD from day one. I preferred the softness of the Moby, but you could definitely get away with having just one carrier.

@danibean19 DH loved the Ergo 360 and used it from newborn stage until DD was a toddler. It was adjustable and worked great for both of us. 
  • I loved the k'tan for when DS was little. He was so snuggly in there. My SIL found the brand Konny Baby, which seems similar to the k'tan, but cuter.

DH picked the Mountain Buggy Juno carrier for himself, because it was the only one with a guy on the box. But the mountain Buggy is so comfortable to wear! And it comes with the infant insert. 

We also have a Disney lillebaby that I got for use on our first Disney trip. All seasons I think? The one with the zip mesh back. I feel like it has great lumbar support and it's the one we use in the warm weather because of the mesh.
  • @babybison I have me eyes on the disney lillebaby this time!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have both a Beluga Baby wrap (a soft stretchy style) and a Lillebaby All Seasons Complete. I really like the Beluga during the newborn stage, but find it's not great for my back once they get a bit bigger. Both DH and I love the Lillebaby though. We hardly use a stroller, we wear DS pretty much everywhere. DH has a bad back, and finds the lumbar support really great, and the mesh helps keep the baby cool in the summer. We go hiking and everything with it. 
  • I have the ktan I loved that it was like a wrap but I didn’t have to fumble with it. It was great while I needed to walk the dog or had people coming to the house for estimates and such. I would load her up and she was instantly asleep. Being a June baby it was hot but I would assume all bearing wearing in the summer is hot. After she a few months old I stopped using it. I took it back out for an excursion through the pumpkin patch at a year+ old. I did a hip carry and it helped vs just carrying a heavy child alone since she wasn’t walking at that point. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I tried several different kinds and ultimately loved ring slings with my infant for their versatility, comfort, portability, and attractiveness.  I had a number of different slings, but my favorite were from Wildbird.  They were affordable and beautiful and held up well, plus they have great customer service.  Many more brands have popped up since I had my first, and I'm friends with the girl who owns Poppet Slings, and I have heard amazing things about their pre softened linen!  There is a learning curve to slinging, but once you get the hang of it, it's WAY easier than using a structured carrier.  Plus they're lightweight and super easy to roll up and toss in a bag.  And pretty!  I had SO many at one point.  It's an addiction.

When my dude got a bit bigger, he preferred an onbuhimo (please don't say "onbu" - it's considered culturally insensitive!).  We have a Sakura Bloom, and I ADORE it.
  • Anyone have the lillebaby dragonfly wrap? I got a lillebaby all seasons carrier, but am thinking a wrap might be nice as well. Looks like it's somewhat structured, so less of a learning curve to putting it on possibly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm thinking I might get a solly wrap soon. My ktan was ok, but never felt 100%. I'm fairly small and think it was a bit too big for me.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • We were gifted a Nuna, a baby beluga wrap and a solly wrap so we're set! The solly is supposed to be lighter weight so good for baby carrying in the summer
  • @smallbutmighty77 I have the k'tan too and never felt like it fit right.  The small seemed way too big but then the Xsmall always seemed like DD was squished.  I was always worried about her position in it.    
  • @Kathryn0903 I have a Lillebaby wrap, but I don’t know which one. I liked it, but only for the tiny baby phase. Once he got bigger, the Ergo was much easier. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • edited February 2020
    I was a nanny for 6 years, before I had my eldest (whonis now 4), and had been babywearing for 4 of those years. I first got into babywearing because a couple of nanny friends were Volunteer Babywearing Educators in (the now defunct) Babywearing International. Over the years, my carrier of choice became the ring sling, especially for newborn-1 year, but I've worn 4 year olds in ring slings, as well, for quick ups. Secondary, for me, are soft-structured carriers, which is what most people tend to think of, when it comes to babywearing carriers (Ergo, Tula, Beco, etc). Back-carrying in a SSC is especially important to me, when taking care of other children and household tasks. 

I believe it's very important for parents who are new to babywearing to attend a babywearing meeting. It's slightly more difficult to help people find their local babywearing chapter, with Babywearing International gone, but believe me...there are babywearing meetings happening all over - you just need to seek them out. In the Chicagoland area, the chapter is now called Chicagoland Babywearing. Most, if not all, babywearing chapters have free meetings, as well as a lending library, from which you can borrow a carrier a month, once you become a member of the chapter (typically around $35/year). These meetings are the BEST places to learn about the different types of carriers and how to wear them, and I highly recommend attending a meeting before baby arrives, as well as shortly after baby is born. Especially when it comes to SSCs, not every brand and style of carrier fits everyone's body best. Think of them like jeans; the brand and style that fits my body best is not likely to fit your body best. You wouldn't buy and pop the tags off of jeans without trying them on, would you? Find a meeting!

All of that said, I'm deep in the babywearing hole, with 6 ring slings (3 Sakura Bloom linens, 2 Pretty Paisley handwoven cottons, and a Beachfront Baby water sling), two standard size SSCs (Beco Soleil/Tekhni wrap conversion and a Tula), a toddler size SSC (Beco Toddler/Tekhni wrap conversion), and an onbuhimo (2 Lambie onbuhimo wrap conversion with Pretty Paisley). 
  • I don't think I realized how expensive baby carriers can be! I've settled on a K'Tan Original for both me and my husband as he'll probably be wearing her more than I will once I go back to work. Maybe once she's bigger we'll try something sturdier, but I just love how cozy and happy babies look while baby wearing, and I definitely want to try. 
  • I got the Ergo 360 as a Christmas present. My coworker gives me a lot of hand me downs, so she gave me the infant insert for the Ergo 360 and she gave me a Moby wrap. 
  • Any bustier ladies have suggestions for comfortable carriers? I tried to Moby with both girls but could never get it snug enough because of my chest. We had some luck with the Lillibaby All Seasons carrier, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the way the straps say on my shoulders. DH will probably still use the Lillibaby, but I was hoping to find a wrap this go around, since I’ll be wearing significantly more with 2 toddlers running around.
  • @skc040512
    You may want to look into Meh Dais.  They are somewhere in between an SSC (like Liliebaby and Ergo) and a wrap.  It has a structured back and it ties like a wrap.  My Meh Dai has always been my go to carrier.  My best friend used to make them so that's what I have.  Look into CatBirdBaby and there are several Wrap companies that make wrap conversions.  On FB you can look on the babywearing swaps to see what is available.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• FTM- I went with both a moby wrap and the ergo360. I asked a lot of STM+ moms before choosing and everyone had such great things to say about moby! the ergo I thought was super nice because my husband could wear it too & i felt it was a bit more masculine than a wrap, lol. i'm grateful to have found a local baby store that offers infant wrapping classes because I have no idea what i'm doing ;)
  • STM, but I got new carriers this time. I got a lillebaby all seasons complete and a lillebaby dragonfly wrap. I am not familiar with wraps, so I suggest doing some practicing beforehand. I got a baby doll out to practice with. I do like the dragonfly wrap because it does have some structure to it, but I can see that there's a learning curve still.
    BabyFruit Ticker